Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla, it's 2 MP to stand normally and all MP used up for Careful Stand, right?

Can I include contingency orders (say, to do Careful Stand) in case initial attempt to stand isn't successful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Scintilla, it's 2 MP to stand normally and all MP used up for Careful Stand, right?

Can I include contingency orders (say, to do Careful Stand) in case initial attempt to stand isn't successful?

Standing normally requires 2 MP per attempt, and once you succeed you can change your facing for free before moving. Standing carefully costs all of your MP, but gives you a -2 bonus on the roll and still allows you to change your facing for free. You can include contingency orders in case you fall down again after standing normally, but you cannot choose to stand carefully after falling once.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Standing normally requires 2 MP per attempt, and once you succeed you can change your facing for free before moving. Standing carefully costs all of your MP, but gives you a -2 bonus on the roll and still allows you to change your facing for free. You can include contingency orders in case you fall down again after standing normally, but you cannot choose to stand carefully after falling once.

So if I understand it correctly, I have to commit to either standing normally or Careful Stand, but the former will allow me to send contingency movement orders depending on how much MP I still have after I finally get to stand?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

So if I understand it correctly, I have to commit to either standing normally or Careful Stand, but the former will allow me to send contingency movement orders depending on how much MP I still have after I finally get to stand?

That's right.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lasers jamming again

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I realize this might be a big ask. Do you think the gladiator can take out that transport? I realize that will put you in the lions den, but if we don’t take it out, they will have an escape route ready. It should go down to a single PPC shot, and then we won’t have to worry about the target getting away.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

glwgameplayer posted:

I realize this might be a big ask. Do you think the gladiator can take out that transport? I realize that will put you in the lions den, but if we don’t take it out, they will have an escape route ready. It should go down to a single PPC shot, and then we won’t have to worry about the target getting away.

I'm all too happy to get stuck in :orks101:

That being said, I'm not sure if there's any kind of known plot or mechanical reason I'm not supposed to barge in there and start blasting. But assuming there isn't:

If I run to 1407 and turn to 1307, I believe that by then torso twisting from that position I'll be putting the VTOL in my right arc and the Rifleman in my left arc, the rare situation where having all your weapons be arm mounted is ideal. If I'm right, I can PPC the VTOL, split fire my MLs into the Rifleman, and then kick his smug standing-still rear end, all while at +3 MM and end up at 4 heat. The mech version of running dramatically through the room while firing pistols akimbo. So if I'm right about all this, you know I gotta do it to 'em.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

glwgameplayer posted:

I was just going to suggest this too. Part of our objective is preventing the escape, the transport is made of paper, and this is a prime chance to rush in without anything but the rifleman able to fire back.

e: For my part I'm just going to advance and keep pounding the Centurion.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 3, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dachshundofdoom posted:

That being said, I'm not sure if there's any kind of known plot or mechanical reason I'm not supposed to barge in there and start blasting.

Plotwise, you are totally free to blast the Karnov if you want. It belongs to the Ministry of Trade and Industry, but Marquis Decimis isn't going to care too much about a bit of collateral damage as long as the core mission objectives are achieved.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I'm all too happy to get stuck in :orks101:

That being said, I'm not sure if there's any kind of known plot or mechanical reason I'm not supposed to barge in there and start blasting. But assuming there isn't:

If I run to 1407 and turn to 1307, I believe that by then torso twisting from that position I'll be putting the VTOL in my right arc and the Rifleman in my left arc, the rare situation where having all your weapons be arm mounted is ideal. If I'm right, I can PPC the VTOL, split fire my MLs into the Rifleman, and then kick his smug standing-still rear end, all while at +3 MM and end up at 4 heat. The mech version of running dramatically through the room while firing pistols akimbo. So if I'm right about all this, you know I gotta do it to 'em.

Hell yeah blasting

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Blast that Karnov.

The Price is about to get flanked and he's helpless in close due to the min range on his weapons. If the PHX also joins in he's toast. Maybe the TBT should run South to help and the SHD can support both fronts at 1921.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Etienne is fine, there's realistically absolutely nothing a non jumping Hermes can do to a jump 5 unit with a big hill and forests like that to play with. The Phx can keep up, but a gunnery 4 pilot that is jumping while shooting at another jumping mech is going to score barely any damage at all.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Not sure what my best move is this turn. My options seem to be as follows:
  • Careful Stand - leaves my back exposed to the PHawk and my front exposed to the Manticore with 0 move mod. 6 to hit the Manticore.
  • Regular stand, run to 1119 (assuming the Wolverine vacates that hex) - gets me out of range of the Phawk, under the LRM minimum range of the Manticore, 10 hexes away from the Centurion, 12 away from the Rifleman and 8 away from the left turret. Also 6 to hit the Manticore.
  • Regular stand, move to 1721 facing 1820 - gets me out of LOS of the Manticore, left turret, and Rifleman, gets my rear armor away from the Phawk, but leaves me with nothing to shoot at this turn.
  • Regular stand, run to 1518 - gets me out of the Manticore's front arc, out of LOS of the PHawk, 6 hexes away from the Centurion, 9 from the left turret, and 11 away from the Rifleman. 6 to hit the Manticore, 8 to hit the Centurion
Currently leaning towards the last option, with contingency orders to do Option 3 if my first attempt to stand doesn't work.

Any advice from the rest of Goonlance?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Option 3 seems the best to me.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gwaihir posted:

Option 3 seems the best to me.

I think I agree. It doesn’t seem worth it to put you in danger to attack a unit which is already crippled.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Yeah I'd say go with option 3

EDIT: I think I'll also be joining with Gwaihir in attacking the Centurion, since I can't get a shot into the Karnov. The Rifleman is a tempting target though

Holybat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 3, 2024

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Fwiw I think firing just SRMs at the centurion while sending your laser at the rifleman is totally ok.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Holybat posted:

Yeah I'd say go with option 3

EDIT: I think I'll also be joining with Gwaihir in attacking the Centurion, since I can't get a shot into the Karnov. The Rifleman is a tempting target though

I stand by the good old maxim of “guns off the field.” I’d suggest you focus fire on a target, and the Centurion is in a good spot for it.

Just remember to guard the Prowler too.

Edit: The Rifleman is dangerous for sure, with it’s rapid auto cannons, but I can’t help but expect that we’re about to light a fire under it now that we’ve closed the distance. Not to mention it’s fragile, under sinked, and can only use heat intensive weapons to fight at close range (since the Autocannons have a minimum range)

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 4, 2024

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Wolverine

I'll be attacking the Centurion and keeping up with the Prowler too. I'll have to work out where I'll be moving once I get home from work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Holybat posted:

Wolverine

I'll be attacking the Centurion and keeping up with the Prowler too. I'll have to work out where I'll be moving once I get home from work.

Honestly I'd just charge straight forward to 1112. Nothing but the cent can really shoot you, and it keeps you in the thick of things. The prowler is going 1312 so it'll be right next to you anyhow.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah looking pretty good at 1112 agreed

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Etienne is fine, there's realistically absolutely nothing a non jumping Hermes can do to a jump 5 unit with a big hill and forests like that to play with. The Phx can keep up, but a gunnery 4 pilot that is jumping while shooting at another jumping mech is going to score barely any damage at all.

Ah, nevermind I forgot his movement is posted in the turn report and he isn't just standing there. Looks like you guys are going to work on that CN9. I hope the shot at the Karnov lands.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the advice.

Orders in - moving to 1721 facing 1820.

Scintilla, I should be out of LOS to the Centurion from there, right?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Orders in - moving to 1721 facing 1820.

Scintilla, I should be out of LOS to the Centurion from there, right?

Actually the Centurion does have LOS to 1721.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Actually the Centurion does have LOS to 1721.

Eh, I'll take my chances with the LL and LRM-10. Better than the alternatives.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gwaihir posted:

:battletech:

He's probably fine, but the dice could be angry and land a critical that makes him fall. If nothing else, I don't like the idea that they're able to just 2v1 our VIP.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They can't though. The PHX can't catch up enough and the Hermes is literally helpless without jets when there's these big hills around. It's kinda hard to overstate how large an advantage jets are when hills and heavy woods are involved.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, now that that tripwire has been triggered things are sure to get a lot more interesting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Well, now that that tripwire has been triggered things are sure to get a lot more interesting.

:allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Knew the transport was a trap

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Wheee (I bet it's that I convinced the bandit/pirates from the opening that it's time to join the party)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Wheee (I bet it's that I convinced the bandit/pirates from the opening that it's time to join the party)

There were two possible triggers. One was the destruction of any enemy unit. The other was for any player or allied unit to enter the base. One of the two was going to be triggered eventually, you just made it happen a turn early.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 5

David Palomares felt a stab of annoyance as the enemy Griffin leapt from its perch and disappeared behind a nearby hill. His Hermes II’s AC/5 had just finished reloading, but the enemy had dropped down out of sight half a moment before he could pull the trigger. He briefly considered pulling it anyway and blasting the hillside, but his professionalism reasserted itself before he could indulge the impulse. As the Captain always said, ammunition cost money, which made every shot an investment. Sometimes your investment panned out, sometimes it didn’t, but wasting ammo was the same as defrauding the company.

Thinking ahead, David brought his Hermes II around, circling the Griffin’s old perch with the intention of coming at him from the south. If he and Brian could co-ordinate, they could catch the jumpy bastard in a pincer. He was about to open a line to Brian’s Phoenix Hawk when his sensors pinged unexpectedly. David paused, peering curiously at the readout. His thermals had just picked up a cluster of heat signatures to the west of his position. The readout was fuzzy and indistinct, but there was definitely something out there.

“Hey Captain. You didn’t call Larry and the others to come help us out, did you?” he asked.

“Negative,” Cartwright replied crisply. “He and the others should still be guarding the field base. Why?”

“I just got a sensor ping. Readout’s a bit screwy, but there’s definitely at least one fusion engine up and running out there.”

Gunfire sounded over the comms, but when Cartwright replied her voice was as calm as ever. “Roger that. Must be enemy reinforcements. Stay sharp out there, David.”

“Will do.” Switching to visuals, David scanned the horizon, hunting for any signs of the presumed enemy lance. The lands to the west of the facility were particularly barren, with little that could shield an approaching force. The only thing that stood out was a lone tree, its warped trunk and gnarled branches standing defiantly against the wind and the snow. David stared at the tree, nonplussed. His sensors clearly indicated that something was there, but he couldn’t see anything.

Suddenly the tree’s shadow shifted. Clumps of snow fell from its twisted branches as the unmistakeable silhouette of an Assassin battlemech emerged from behind its wizened trunk. David goggled, barely able to believe his eyes. It seemed impossible that the lean, spindly tree could have concealed a battlemech’s bulk, but there it was. His astonishment was compounded as other mechs erupted into the open, exploding out of snowdrifts and leaping up from barely perceptible hollows in the ground.

David’s jaw slackened in shock as the lance of unknown mechs raced towards the battlefield. How? How was that possible? To hide an entire lance of battlemechs in plain sight like that… why, whoever had pulled it off had to be some kind of tactical genius!

Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) attempts to stand up. Needs 5, rolls 5: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Karnov Transport (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 10: Hits Right Leg! Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 7/12 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 11: Hits Left Arm! Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 10/15 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 10: 4 Missiles Hit! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 4 damage to Left Arm, 5/16 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Left Arm! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 8 damage to Left Arm, 0/16 Armour, 5/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 10: 6 Missiles Hit! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 2 damage to Right Leg (17/24 Armour remaining), Right Arm (14/16 Armour remaining), Left Leg (20/24 Armour remaining), Centre Torso (21/23 Armour remaining), Right Arm (12/16 Armour remaining) and Right Torso (15/17 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Allied):
-Fires PPC (Called Shot – Left Side) at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 4, rolls 8: Hits Left Side! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage to Left Side, 7/33 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Moderate Damage, +2 driving skill penalty, -1MP.

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 2, rolls 6: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage, 0/30 CF remaining. Gun Emplacement Destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 2, rolls 5: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) has already been destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 2, rolls 8: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) has already been destroyed!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 8 damage to Left Arm, 5/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Centre Torso! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 8 damage to Centre Torso, 18/26 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Right Torso! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 14/19 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires LRM-10 at Griffin GRF-1N (Allied); needs 7, rolls 2: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Griffin GRF-1N (Allied); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms):
-Crew repairs weapon malfunction in Large Laser.

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms):
-Has no useable weapons!

--

Piloting checks for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms); needs 5, rolls 7: Hits Left Leg! Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) takes 11 damage to Left Leg, 1/12 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Punches Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) with Right Arm; needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

--

Piloting checks for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 16 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 18 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 13 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 4 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Assassin ASN (Creed) (ACE) (Unknown) enters the battlefield!
Whitworth WTH-1 (Unknown) enters the battlefield!
Panther PNT-9R (Unknown) enters the battlefield!
Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Unknown) enters the battlefield!
Heavy APC (SRM) (Unknown) enters the battlefield!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on running to Hex 1416 next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on flanking to Hex 1307 and offloading Military Police Squad #1 next turn.

Karnov Transport (Silver Phantoms) climbs to Elevation 4!

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Unknown Units Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Oblique Attacker: Pilot can fire indirectly without a spotter and the penalty for indirect fire is reduced by 1.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Tactical Genius: This ability denotes an enemy Ace. Enemy Aces can move during the players’ movement phase, making them difficult to predict.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.
-Unbalanced: The mech receives a +1 penalty on piloting rolls caused by moving through difficult terrain.
-Weak Legs: When the unit is kicked or makes a Death From Above attack that unit has a chance of suffering a critical hit even if its leg armour is not breached.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne.
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (0/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (0/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (0/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

--

Ace Contingencies
This mission contains an enemy ace. Ace pilots move during the player movement phase, making them unpredictable and hard to target. Players attempting to shoot at enemy aces are strongly advised to include contingency orders for alternative targets since the ace in question may not be in their field of fire once the shooting phase starts.

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 9th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 7, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Lmao Creed.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

Lmao Creed.

The surname came up in the random name generator and I knew what had to be done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Couple of clarifications, Scintilla:

1. Will it require extra MP to cross the hex the Manticore is in?
2. Are there any additional to-hit penalties on the KArnov due to its altitude, or are those already built into its +4?

I'm thinking my options are either to run to 2118 and support Gwaihir while engaging the Centurion, or to 1517 to try and link up with the rest of the lance. Leaning towards the former though, as I get more cover and a friendly Mech as backup.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Of course that PPC missed the VTOL by one. The dice just aren't on your side this mission.

Is that an Assassin that's not horrible? At least they found a way to use all of that SRM ammo. Looks like it and the PNT are packing Infernos.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Treb

Couple of clarifications, Scintilla:

1. Will it require extra MP to cross the hex the Manticore is in?
2. Are there any additional to-hit penalties on the KArnov due to its altitude, or are those already built into its +4?

I'm thinking my options are either to run to 2118 and support Gwaihir while engaging the Centurion, or to 1517 to try and link up with the rest of the lance. Leaning towards the former though, as I get more cover and a friendly Mech as backup.

1. The Manticore is immobile so you can move through it without penalty.
2. The latter. VTOLs impose an additional malus against incoming fire when they move, which MegaMek appears to fold into the usual move mod:

Flanking 7 hexes would normally only give a +3 mod, but since it's a VTOL it gets an extra +1. Weirdly though, MegaMek unfolds it again when calculating hit numbers:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Assassin Ace! Very cool. I mean, not for us, obviously, but cool conceptually. That being said I'm about equally concerned about the Whitworth because that's a 3/5 pilot in that LRMboat and he has Oblique Attacker so he's absolutely planning to fight smart in that fragile little thing.

My safest move is to go to 906 facing 905 where I can continue harrassing the Rifleman. I could instead jump to 1711, take a PPC backshot on the Centurion and boot the laser turret. The downsides there are the Rifleman actually gets to bring its full armament to bear (albeit at medium range), and I remain on the knife's edge of overheat while being forced to jump again next turn, although that's not necessarily a bad thing, I have a woods hex within reach and would be a general continued backshot/melee threat against the Centurion.

Personally I'm leaning towards the more aggressive second play right now but the Rifleman does need killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Gladiator

Assassin Ace! Very cool. I mean, not for us, obviously, but cool conceptually. That being said I'm about equally concerned about the Whitworth because that's a 3/5 pilot in that LRMboat and he has Oblique Attacker so he's absolutely planning to fight smart in that fragile little thing.

My safest move is to go to 906 facing 905 where I can continue harrassing the Rifleman. I could instead jump to 1711, take a PPC backshot on the Centurion and boot the laser turret. The downsides there are the Rifleman actually gets to bring its full armament to bear (albeit at medium range), and I remain on the knife's edge of overheat while being forced to jump again next turn, although that's not necessarily a bad thing, I have a woods hex within reach and would be a general continued backshot/melee threat against the Centurion.

Personally I'm leaning towards the more aggressive second play right now but the Rifleman does need killing.

The Rifleman has such poo poo rear armor you could conceivably cripple or kill it this turn from 906. That gives our allies free reign over the facility and frees up the rest of the lance to gang up on the Centurion since the Prowler can now be left alone to do its job.