Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am once again at a bit of a loss as to what my best move is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The opfor has to be running away at this point no? They're down a mech, the wasp is a strong breeze away from CT destruction, the javelin is missing an arm. It's time to run for the drat hills against a mostly intact enemy lance.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm running to 1114 for backshots and a kick on the Shadow Hawk.

CirclMastr posted:

I am once again at a bit of a loss as to what my best move is.

If you wanted to go for glory, you can jump to 2012, SRMs into the back of the Wasp, and try to kick its head in.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

The opfor has to be running away at this point no? They're down a mech, the wasp is a strong breeze away from CT destruction, the javelin is missing an arm. It's time to run for the drat hills against a mostly intact enemy lance.

Running away carries its own risks. The Stinger is fast enough to keep up with and destroy the lighter mechs, while the Shadow Hawk can only outrun the Panther. If the battle somehow manages to drag on for another three turns then the Wasp and Javelin will definitely try to make a break for it, but the Shadow Hawk at least is fighting to the bitter end.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

, but the Shadow Hawk at least is fighting to the bitter end.

i am happy to comply with his wishes :getin:

just gonna run up behind it and keep blasting

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Three mechs in its rear arc is going to be fun.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

If you wanted to go for glory, you can jump to 2012, SRMs into the back of the Wasp, and try to kick its head in.

Locked this in

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Also thinking about the current Battletech kickstarter. How much more complex is the tabletop game compared to this here?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

Also thinking about the current Battletech kickstarter. How much more complex is the tabletop game compared to this here?

MegaMek is basically a computerised version of the tabletop game, using software to faithfully reproduce all of the published rules and quirks of Battletech. In terms of complexity, I would say that the tabletop has a slight edge since there are still a few things that MegaMek hasn't been able to implement yet, but mechanically they are more or less identical.

As an aside, a simplified version of the tabletop rules also exists. It's called Alpha Strike, and PoptartsNinja is currently doing a Let's Play for it right now.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Three mechs in its rear arc is going to be fun.

Locked in on this!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tabletop seems like a lot of fun but I only have the agoac box and that's about as complicated as I can handle rn while everyone here wants to play a tournament with scenarios and picking lances off lists of like 50+ mechs :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sure, sign me up. Been on a BT kick lately and haven’t played MegaMek in quite some time

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I haven't done this before but have a lot of experience with TT/MM from decades ago. Sent PM and can't wait to die in a LCT.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sent a PM as well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh yeah pm sent

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Likewise, I didn't even know this existed until the announcement. No hate for PTN but I strongly prefer this to Alpha Strike, the mechs just don't have any soul when you aren't rolling weapons individually

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Likewise, I didn't even know this existed until the announcement. No hate for PTN but I strongly prefer this to Alpha Strike, the mechs just don't have any soul when you aren't rolling weapons individually

Same imo. Also sent a PM to sign up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Same. PM Sent!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Mech-mashin' Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnPM3xFh4rA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxoQBF-wG0

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Obligatory post. Sable Lance, you're not killing enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUeiuMOjt8

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Glad to have you all aboard!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Count me as another from the announcement. I like your writing Scintilla, it fills out the setting nicely, and the beloved Battletech references are fun.

Might as well chime in with my music choice too, I got caught up on the thread while listening to the Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp87Jc6k1w4

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I know nothing about Battletech but I like people in big robots shooting each other for money, so this is a pleasing discovery.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, if we're doing music, I may as well post my own favourite track. My first introduction to Battletech was as a twelve year old boy, when one of my friends let me play Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance at his house. It might not be the best Battletech video game, but the introductory cutscene is amazing and it has some great music, particularly the Davion theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdUsE10EwTs

Hearing this while storming the palace at the end of the game was simply fantastic (Even if William was a cheating bastard with his magical aimbot bullshit headshotting you right after the cutscene ends).

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 7

“poo poo, poo poo, poo poo,” Gudrun Magos hissed. Overheat warnings screamed in her ears as her Wasp’s wounded engine vented another wave of waste heat directly into its own chassis, sending the temperature inside her cockpit soaring to dangerous levels. Gudrun had tried to tune the warnings out at first, but now her situation had become critical. If she didn’t find a way to cool down soon, her mech’s automatic shutdown protocols would do it for her.

For the umpteenth time, Gudrun triggered her Wasp’s jump jets and rocketed into the air, angling for a nearby patch of woodland. A few seconds. Just a few seconds unmolested, and she could sink her excess heat back down to manageable levels. After that, she could start to think about bugging out.

Far below, Lucas’s Shadow Hawk surged into battle. The old man seemed to have a death wish, recklessly charging forwards without bothering to cover his rear. A hail of fire burst around him as the enemy battlemechs tried to bring him down, but by some miracle nearly every shot missed. Gudrun grinned fiercely, but deep down she knew his luck couldn’t last. His Shadow Hawk’s armour was blackened and scarred, both front and back, and it was only a matter of time before the enemy lance dragged him down like a pack of wolves.

Twisting slightly to avoid a large branch, Gudrun landed her Wasp in the thickest part of the woods. She turned and pressed her little mech’s back against a small ridge, hoping the loamy soil would absorb the heat more efficiently. “Well, this turned out to be a clusterfuck and a half,” she muttered to herself, slumping back in her command couch. After a couple of heartbeats she reached out and keyed into her mech’s emergency radio frequency.

Eagle Standard, this is Magos,” she spoke into the receiver, far more calmly than she felt. “Tiger Lance is fubar. Ambushed by unknown battlemechs. Thabo down. Sarah and I crippled. Shaw still fighting. Will try to withdraw when able.”

The radio clicked as it processed her message. Gudrun relaxed slightly. At least now the captain would know what had happened to them.

A warbling alert from her Wasp’s seismic sensors was all the warning Gudrun had that something had landed behind her. Cursing, she reached for her mech’s controls, but too late. An enormous force slammed into her Wasp’s back, throwing her forwards into her seat’s restraints. The overheat alarm gurgled and died as her cockpit lost power. Gudrun cried out as her mech toppled forwards, the sound swallowed up by the sudden darkness descending around her.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Panther PNT-9R (Player):
-Fires SRM 4 at Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3G (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Leg! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 0/16 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM 6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers):
-Fires SRM 6 at Panther PNT-9R (Player); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 14/19 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers):
Holds fire!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Leg! Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) takes 11 damage to Left Leg, 2/13 Structure remaining. Critical Hit!
--Critical Chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained.

Physical attacks for Panther PNT-9R (Player):
-Kicks Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 11: Hits Rear Centre Torso! Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) takes 7 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 0/4 Armour, 0/6 Structure remaining. Centre Torso destroyed! Wasp WSP-1A (Prowlers) destroyed due to damage!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3G (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 7 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Prowlers):
Kicked: needs 5, rolls 11; Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Primary Objectives:
-Destroy Pirate Lance (2/4)

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 28th 9:00PM GMT.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Welp. I guess there'll be no salvage from the Wasp either.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

Welp. I guess there'll be no salvage from the Wasp either.

Actually this isn't true - unlike ammo explosions, centre torso destruction doesn't destroy the mech. It just renders it impossible to repair. You can still drag the carcass off the battlefield and strip it for parts, which could be very useful since the company has a number of 20-ton mechs which might need repairing in the future. You can also sell it on for cold, hard C-Bills, which the company is desperately short of right now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

At what point is a mech out of the fight but still able to be repaired, other than leg destruction?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

At what point is a mech out of the fight but still able to be repaired, other than leg destruction?

Ways to knock out a mech so that it is still recoverable include:

-Blow off the head.
-Kill the pilot by dealing them six pilot hits.
-Kill the pilot by scoring a critical hit on the cockpit.
-Destroy the engine.
-Destroy the gyro.
-Blow off a leg (You'll need to blow off two legs for quad mechs).
-Deal enough damage that the enemy pilot decides to eject.

If we keep getting scenarios where the players don't manage to get any usable salvage I might houserule it so that centre torso destruction simply renders the mech inoperable. You'll have to replace everything in there - engine, gyro, etc - but repairing it should be possible with lots of time and money.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 26, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is single leg destruction = mission kill a house rule here? Usually it takes both legs to count as a kill

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Well, that was not great shooting, but some good physicals at least.

Thoughts on next turn?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

Is single leg destruction = mission kill a house rule here? Usually it takes both legs to count as a kill

Losing one leg counts as a mission kill, yes. It streamlines combat a bit while also giving more opportunities for the players to obtain viable salvage.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

Well, that was not great shooting, but some good physicals at least.

Thoughts on next turn?

The SHD as salvage is the real prize here, it's LL is almost down and the Gladiator can get to 1209 for a left arc kick. Kicks from the side arcs can only hit the leg on that side. Everyone else could also try to focus on the SHD but you risk hitting that LT which I think has the AC ammo inside which would ruin the salvage.

You could move guys to the left side arc of the SHD to try and ping the LL and use the Gladiator kick as insurance. Or you could risk only letting the Gladiator fire and kick while everyone else piles on the JAV before it tries to book it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Losing one leg counts as a mission kill, yes. It streamlines combat a bit while also giving more opportunities for the players to obtain viable salvage.

Cool, sounds solid

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, going for the left side of the SHawk seems like the optimal play, firing everything and kicking. I’d go with the ‘Team up on the Javelin’ play for everyone else, with luck we could end the mission.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, going for the left side of the SHawk seems like the optimal play, firing everything and kicking. I’d go with the ‘Team up on the Javelin’ play for everyone else, with luck we could end the mission.

Moving to 1811 and firing at the Javelin, then.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I think I might back into 0613 and take shots at the Javelin, though I think my TH is 12. I am unsure how much armor costs for the company to replace, but having a mech come in pristine can't be a bad thing right?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

I think I might back into 0613 and take shots at the Javelin, though I think my TH is 12. I am unsure how much armor costs for the company to replace, but having a mech come in pristine can't be a bad thing right?

Armour is pretty cheap at 10,000 C-Bills per ton, and the company has 25 spare tons to start with. It's also one of the easier things to repair - a skilled tech can repair all of the armour on a light or medium mech in less than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

locked in, moving up a bit to fire on the javelin, leaving the s.hawk for the gladiator

do some gladiating, AJ_Impy!