Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I haven't done this before but have a lot of experience with TT/MM from decades ago. Sent PM and can't wait to die in a LCT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Obligatory post. Sable Lance, you're not killing enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUeiuMOjt8

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

Well, that was not great shooting, but some good physicals at least.

Thoughts on next turn?

The SHD as salvage is the real prize here, it's LL is almost down and the Gladiator can get to 1209 for a left arc kick. Kicks from the side arcs can only hit the leg on that side. Everyone else could also try to focus on the SHD but you risk hitting that LT which I think has the AC ammo inside which would ruin the salvage.

You could move guys to the left side arc of the SHD to try and ping the LL and use the Gladiator kick as insurance. Or you could risk only letting the Gladiator fire and kick while everyone else piles on the JAV before it tries to book it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Same,

Voting for the STG taking down an entire WTH-1 with a lucky TAC and not getting hit. OPFOR, the SHD for dealing some damage before it went out.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Voting for salvaging the SHD and repairing it up. The modification can come after it's able to walk again in case we need something right away.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

oh god i'm in a jenner and going to die.

I know how you feel, I'm right with you in the second Locust. The LCT-3V removes even more armor than a stock LCT-1V. At least I have an extra ML.

Our tactics need to be moving at LEAST 7 hexes every turn to maintain the +3 to hit. We might want do this even if we can't get a solid firing position. Your Jenner can run hot so you can play "cavalry" by running in, shooting to overheat by 4 then run away for a turn at max speed.

The LCTs can't overheat but our armor is so light we won't want to get into melee range, or any range really.

Can anyone break down our Mechs quirks? The Sarna page lists the effects for Alpha Strike, but not sure how if affects classic BT. Like Narrow Profile says it makes the LCT harder to hit, but doesn't list the number.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

No problem! Here are what the quirks do.

Thanks for that! Narrow Profile is a real life saver and I see how hard standing up will be. I really don't want to let anyone kick me and force me to make a fall check.

So, for all of us, we really want to maintain a +3 to our movement penalty for shooting at us. That means in flat ground, the LCTs with 8/12 have 1 MP left for turning or entering harder terrain while walking. Running we have 5MP leftover. The JR7-F at 7/11/5 can walk straight for 7 hexes to get +3 but needs to run if it wants to do anything fun at that distance. You also got jumping for 5, which is a little odd for it's ground speed but comes in clutch if you can afford the heat (min +3 heat and up to +5 for full distance). The VL-5T is the slowest with 6/9/6 and has as much armor as the Jenner and might not be able to maintain the +3 movement. However, its flamer and MGun make it a great anti-infantry unit. The LCT's dual MGs are also good for that but it's no Flamer.

The JR7 and VT's excessive banks of MLs mean they're going to be doing the real work of removing armor and destroying locations. The LCTs have half the firepower and change.

We're all pretty fragile, only the JR7 doesn't have the Narrow Profile quirk. Speed is our game, and likely our OPFOR's as well.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I am going to suicide in the highest BV mech we have.

This is the way.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

This is going to be costly. The PPC on the CDA and the LL on the COM will punch through to internals or even cut a leg off instantly, if they land a hit on the LCTs. Those weapons also out-range our Lance, along with the AC/5 on the Scorpion tank. We probably want to close and kill the CDA first, wheeling far left to keep those lvl2 hills between us the rest of the force. If we can get to where the CDA is, we might only have to fight the 'Mechs for a few rounds before the Vehs can get LoS. Problem with wheeling left, the VL is too far out of position and would be left alone on the right edge, and need to play peek-a-boo with JJ in and out of LOS to pester from the flanks. But hexes 1617/1618 are heavy trees that have a hill to help block LOS to the rest of the base. As long as we stay out of 6 hexes from the infantry, they're no threat, a problem for later during cleanup.

ilmucche posted:

Depending how dangerously we want to live can the locusts walk straight forward and put fire on the unmoving galleon at 9+ to hit?

Note that IIRC, (please someone let me know if this is still true) it's easier to get to the side arcs of vehicles vs 'Mechs. 'Mechs front damage arc is the front three hexes, where a Vehicle is only the forward hex face, the two side hexes are side arc hits. This makes it easier to get to the weaker side armor. We could risk both LCTs to toss some roughly 8 To-Hits (4 Base +2 running +2 Med Range) at the Galleon. If we can land 3 of 4 ML to the side armor (not likely, but possible) we could destroy it in one turn. Next turn we could enter the CDA's hill to flank using 0510 or other lvl1 slopes. If we can get within 3 hexes of the CDA, the PPC's minimum range mods can protect us from that big gun.

I could reach 0915 by only turning twice (at 1219 and 0918) and maintain a +4 movement mod fire for moving 10 hexes. This sets me up for what I think is a right side arc shot on the Galleon. The other LCT has more options, but you probably want to try and only turn or change elevation twice to move 10 hexes.

What's the plan Ruby Lance?

Edit: As for fire and smoke - We'd need to be able to shoot the trees the CDA wants to use, it outranges us already and they have numerical advantage. If we waste time trying to start a fire with MLs in the CDA's space, the CDA will get more rounds to shoot us. We need to neutralize the CDA (it has LCT level armor) and prevent the OPFOR from bringing all of the other units into LOS. The VL has the best position to light a fire and use smoke for itself on the right side.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 9, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

looks like i should be able to reach 0913 to give me partial cover against most incoming fire, get shots on the galleon, and stay out of los of the cicada

Yep, that also sets you up for moving to 0510 and possibly as far in as 0508 for a +3, next turn as you'll be facing left in 0913.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

VL here.

I was thinking about my move and here's what I came up with, if LCT#2 agrees and if this is possible:
Movement Phase:
- VL: Runs to 1619 (9MP) (4MP to 1821, 2MP to 1820, 1MP turn to 1720, 2MP to 1619).
- LCT#2: Walks to 1618 (6MP) (4MP to 1220, 1MP turn to 1319, 1MP to 1319).

Shoot phase:
- LCT#2: 2 ML at the GAL at range 7. GAL can't return fire because of fire/smoke at 1318.
- VL: Flamer at 1318 (3 range) for a smokescreen.

How does this sound?

I don't think that can work due to how the damage resolution for the fire/smoke happens after the firing phase. The smoke won't be there until it's too late. Or is that no longer correct?

You could jump to 1221 area for options next turn. If you landed to 1321 and land facing up/left you can run to 0517 next turn for +3 movement mod. This will group up with the JR7 next turn and you could still fire on something if they really push forward.

The LCTs can make it to/over the CDA hill on foot and you guys have jets so we can keep the woods the STG is in between us and the bull or forces. We can light those on fire if needed.

Edit - Hit post by accident on my phone before I was done.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Paradoxical as it sounds, you generally want to either hit them from the front or, even more preferentially, from the rear unless you've got the firepower to kill them outright in one turn.

Thanks for that, hopefully we can at least open that side up for a finisher next round or cause it to pull back.

ilmucche posted:

Was thinking of rushing up the left side, try to get a little behind them. Don't know if it's better for the bigger mechs to clump in the middle and we send the LCTs flying on the flanks?

I don't think we want to split our forces. They outnumber us and our two LCTs only have the combined firepower as one of our other 'Mechs. We should try to pile all our firepower on the high threat 'Mechs and pot shot vehicles if you can't.

If we split, if one of either team gets unlucky, there's no real support due to our short ranges and terrain. We should use that terrain against them.

If we all play in the middle, everyone will be there in a nasty brawl we don't have the armor to win and profit. The woods and bad terrain around 1206 will keep the vehicles off our backs if they push and we go left. If we can get all 4 of us together, we can locally outnumber the 'Mechs.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ruby Lance - What's our course of action? We flanking left all together or try and keep the center/split up? We've all been able to chime in, but I want to be sure before I submit my order.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I'm submitting my 0913 move above.

Submitted my move to 0915 and firing on Galleon.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm running to 0518. The cicada might be able to shoot at me there, but not with great odds

I'm pretty sure you're safe. 'Mechs are 2 levels taller than the ground they're standing on. So lvl1 hill = hip height cover and lvl2 hill = total cover vs a shooter on the other side. Vehicles don't get the height bonus 'Mechs do, so they can hide behind lower lvl1 hills and buildings. The lvl2 hills between the CDA at ground level and your ending ground level hex should totally block LOS.

Also for quick LOS tips - One Heavy Woods + one Light Woods, or three Light Woods blocks LOS when they're intervening between the shooter and target hex. The hex the shooter and target occupy don't count toward this LOS limit. Woods are also usually 2 levels tall.

I'm going off memory so if I got anything wrong or left out something let me know.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 10, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

are 0512 and 0514 both heavy woods? sorely tempted to sprint straight at the cicada and firing everything while inside minimum ppc range

Yes, get as close as you can. The CDA ran for +3 so this turn should be about getting over the hills the CDA is standing on instead of trying to fry it. The vehicles took the bait and if we can get over those lvl 2 hills on the XX09/XX10 row they'll be isolated from the fight for a bit while we brawl with the 'Mechs. The STG jumped and is still at range, so pretty low risk. The CMD likely has some shots but if the JR7 and VL keep moving it should be low risk.

I can get to 0311 or that area and while my shots will be crap due to CDA movement, I'll be setup to flank next turn and he's stuck in a dilemma. Either give up the hilltop, rush the center or fall back. None of the choices are good ones.

CPT. Foo - I think you can get behind the CDA by going to 0611 and turning north, it's +3mp to move 2 lvls up in 1 hex. You can get close enough to kick, either behind if you end turning to face 0409, but the odds are very low. There's a chance to fall over if you miss a kick. Counter point is there's a chance to fall if you are kicked... The kick arc is the front 3 hexes of your unit.

But keep in mind, we need to be facing North-ish as possible for keeping movement up next turn. Making the CDA turn around is what will eat it's MP and let us get easier shots for the kill.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm tempted to dump 3 lasers on the damaged GAL and the other laser in the other GAL. I think I can get a nice arc to both vehicle's sides.

That's your call but it's a hard shot, you'll be isolated if you take it. I think the OPFOR has a roughly+10 to hit you for the big guns.

You'll be shooting at +8 at best vs the wounded Galleon if you walk to short range. 4 Base Gunnery + 3 Target Movement + 1 Walking. If you got the heat for all 4 lasers I'd dump them at the wounded Galleon to help finish the job.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I can run to 0513 and fire 2 Mlas for 11+ to hit, but it'll be inside the range of the ppc and I think the machine guns will be 13+ to hit. It'll keep me at 0 heat to respond to whatever the cicada ends up doing. the stinger will be able to hit me on a 9 or 10, but that's only 1 shot

You should be able to end in 0512 heavy woods for 11MP. Can anyone double check the math?

This also forces the CDA to make turns to get around you if it chooses to push forward and denies it the heavy woods.

For Ruby Lance as a whole - We want to make the OPFOR waste MP on turning and terrain while we setup long sprint lines with occasional shorter runs for kill shots. They outnumber us and eventually the rare shots will start landing. We need to ball up and locally overpower a target and prevent that from happening to us. This is probably still going to be costly with the best of luck.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Don't think I can get there, I'm 2 to the bottom of the hill, 2 to get up (4 total), 2 to get down + 2 into heavy woods (8 total), 1 forward (9) and then it would cost 3 to move into the next set of heavy woods.

You're right. I missed that was a Heavy Woods in 0514.

EDIT - Is there a way to make MM display the word "HEAVY" for Heavy Woods hexes like on a real map sheet?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I think moving to 1120 and firing on the damaged GAL is a good bet for me. I will be in range of the other GAL's ML turret and the STG's ML, but it at least for the STG it's a long shot.

Note you're also in range of the LL on the CMD and AC/5 on the Scorpion (maybe about +9 to hit) and the PPC on the CDA for about +10. You might want to move a little further as 1120 is only travelling 2 hexes (+0) so you're adding +1 to your to-hit number by walking but not adding anything to the enemies due to moving less than 3 hexes.

If you want a really good hit on the Galleon, 1117 gets you in short range and gives you a +2 movement mod for incoming fire. If you want the same odds as 1120 but group up with the rest of the Lance, walking to 0918 gives you +2 defense for moving 5 hexes. If you wanted to run to 0915 for extra protection, you could torso twist and still hit the Galleon, but adding another +1 to your shots. However, you're in short range of the PPC so probably not a great idea. 0918 is medium range for the PPC, but your +2 movement cancels it out vs long range at 1120, and you're closer to the CDA for next round.

OP or other players - Let me know if you want me to stop breaking down everyone's moves. I can't recall who's familiar or not with the rules.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

gotta do some poking about but i think i can get in position to kick the cda on the punch table (good) but it would require facing generally south (bad)

I think you can get to 0409 and face NE? Keeps your back safe vs the rest and isn't too bad setup for next turn. It's a right side arc shot, I don't think I can hit that this turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Option 1a: high kick
0913-0909,0909-0808,0808-0609 - 12MP, Run 7 (2 Level Change, 3 Facing Change); alpha strike CDA, kick CDA. not sure of the numbers on the kick, which could be very risky

Option 1b: close encounter
same as 1a without the kick

Option 2: partial cover
0913-0511,0511-0411,0411-0311,0311-0310 - 12MP, Run 7 (1 Level Change, 3 Facing Change, 1 Light Wood); alpha strike CDA

not quite, stalls out on 0310 (see option 2)

I think you can go up 2 levels at once for a total +3 mp. Am I remembering something wrong? You should be able to go from 0511 to 0410 then turn N to 0409 and turn NE for kick.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

drat! Maybe a charge then :p

Our LCT pilots are supposed to be brash risk takers...

However I think we'll have plenty of risky moves come our way later on once everyone is a little beat up.

Captain Foo posted:

oh, i didn't think you could do two height levels at once at all...

Yep, 'Mechs can do 2 levels of elevation change per hex walking or running, Vehicles can only do one. This is why I'm pushing to move up here as the vehicles have a very limited and less efficient pathway up the hill.

Also of note, these are tracked vehicles, traditional treaded tanks. They can't enter Heavy woods, but can enter light woods, wheeled or hover vehicles can't enter any woods and have other restrictions.

Space Kablooey posted:

I appreciate the breakdowns as I'm 100% new on Battletech lol.

I think I can risk 0915 seeing as the GAL is pretty weak vs the 4 MLs I have - I only need 2 to hit at this stage. If it doesn't get destroyed at least I will be joined up with the lance and we can go vrrr somewhat together.

Note that 0915 is a run move, +2 heat. Your 4 ML are +3 heat each, so total 14 heat. Your Vulcan only sinks 12 heat per turn. Also, 0915 makes the PPC one easier to hit you. As you gain a +1 movement mod, but enter Short Range (+0) instead of staying at Medium Range (+2) with a +1 movement mod if you end at 0918. Net +9 for the CDA to hit you at 0915 and +10 at 0918. Also, 0918 is a walk, +1 vs 0915 run +2 to your to-hit vs the Galleon. So if you wanted to stay heat neutral, you can fire 3 (or 4 for +2 heat, no bad effects until +5) if you ran with a total of +11 to hit (unlikely even 1 lands) or fire 3 for +0 heat in 0918 with a +10 to hit (still rare). Usually it's not worth it to overheat for 9+ to-hit unless you're desperate.

If you really want to kill the Galleon, see my post above about getting to 1117. That's short range for +8 to-hit. However this leaves you open to fight everyone if they push next turn and you'll probably have to jump to 0514 and not fire(or just 1 ML, due to jumping heat) to prevent getting swarmed.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Just feel like I need to make a general tactical post -

For Battletech on tabletop, you really need to assess your own Lance and the OPFOR, figure out where each excels and prevent the OPFOR from executing moves that let its forces excel.

They have:
Numerical superiority
Dispersed firing platforms (everyone has a little something)
Long Range fire superiority

We have:
Speed
Short Range fire superiority
Concentrated firing platforms (our JR7 and VL are 2/3rds of our firepower)

What we don't want is all of the enemies units getting a easy, lower to-hit rolls on any one of us. Even a half dozen shots at +9 or 10 each turn will whittle us away.

What we want is to get all 12 of our MLs in short or medium range to a target and blast it off the map in a single turn. Meanwhile, using our speed to deny the total enemy force good firing positions on us. This can be done by a combination of staying at their long range, cutting LOS with terrain and woods, or by moving really, really far and covering 7 hexes or more each turn. If we slow down, we die.

Sometimes, like this turn, the enemy will also move fast and be hard to hit. Both sides are going to be shooting 9+ or so. We need to setup for the next turn to hopefully swarm the CDA if it doesn't move as much due to getting flanked.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 13, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Then yes it looks like i have a move with 0913-0410,0409-0410,face NE - 11 MP, Run 6 (1 Light woods, 2 elevation change, 2 facing); alpha strike the CDA, kick the CDA

Run 6 is less than ideal but it does keep me pointed in the right direction. Stinger probably has okay shots at me, though

The STG jumped, so that's +3 and you're at his Long Range adding +4 for a single ML. He's shooting like +13 at you. Probably impossible shot or +12 if I missed something.

EDIT: This is exactly the kind of move I'm talking about
We get some ok shots vs the CDA but the other units have impossible odds or near enough trying to hit us.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 13, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I had The stg with an LL for some reason

Ah, that's the COM in 1508. It did walk, so it could take a reasonable shot at someone if we're not careful.

I'm torn between walking to 0412 for a 8 to-hit or running to 0211 and face N for 10 to-hit but with partial cover and better setup for next turn. Opinions?

Also here's the 2d6 dice chart for reference.

https://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_reports/2_dice_rolls.php

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

By our own strategy, take the 10 and better defense, imo

Partial cover is pretty good

This is where I'm really hazy. LOS rules for partial cover.

If the CDA is next to the half cover, I have a partial cover mod to hit it. But does the CDA also have partial cover to hit me if I moved to 0211?

What if I moved to 0311 (ground floor) would I have LOS to the CDA? Partial? It's 1 lvl above the intervening hill, but it's also as tall as me. I remember playing by some older lvl3 rules in MM and you could have cover only going one way.

Can anyone give a break down on hill LOS for the CDA vs 0211 and 0311?

I'll probably stick the plan and move to 0211 either way, but I need a refresher on elevation and LOS.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

If the infantry don't flee by the time we're mopping up, we can probably ask them to surrender before we have to close to kill them. They can reach out to 6 hexes, so we do absolutely outrange them and could pick at them slowly with MLs until the last man. It's faster wipe them with the Flamer (maybe use this as incentive to surrender) and MGs, but it gives them a chance to fire back.

Practically, they wouldn't be realistically able to withdraw, but game-rule wise they might be able to withdraw by hitting map edge.

From an intel perspective, the grunts are likely the lowest paid and also know where everything worth guarding is located. Easy target for interrogation given there's like 60 of them and you only need one to talk.

Remember the overall mission is to find and prevent the Prowlers from getting off-world and we don't know exactly what forces they have left after their DropShip crashed. The base probably has some good stuff, but two platoons of low ranking grunts could be a intel goldmine on its own.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

Unfortunately I don't think so - I'm poking around in the settings right now and can't find any such options. From the next update onwards I'll label them manually.

Thanks, I have started playing MM again with a local group and was hoping their would be a option for it and I don't see one either.

I've submitted my move to 0211. If I'm lucky, I might be able to damage something before my twin gets the flank shots in.

I think the kick is about+8? Base 5, -2 for kicking,+2 running and +3 enemy movement? Also, if he misses the kick (we wiffed 3/4 8s last turn) what the Piloting Skill Roll (PSR) to see if he stands? Is it just 5?

How much damage does the LCTs kick do anyway? 4 damage? I think it was punching was 1dmg per every 10t and kicking was 2dmg per 10t?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I think I will actually start sketching out the moves lol. doing in my head isn't cutting it

Yeah, it takes a while to do it by sight. You learn way faster playing in person as you can touch and move the minis around the board as you count stuff out. Learning to play through this kind of second hand orders is probably one of the toughest ways to learn.

You could always get MegaMek and play around vs the bot.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

That Stinger jump again? It doesn't have a "J" next to it this time but the pathway looks like a jump.

If the LCTs and JR7 stay above the XX08 line the CMD won't have LoS and we can get sweet butt shots at the CDA. It still moved for +2 and +1 for Light Woods so we're looking at +8-9s at best if we close to short range. We're open to the STG and infantry depending on exactly where you go.

Joke option - What's the to-hit number for having Prime charge the CDA off the cliff? What's the to-hit for pushing or can it not do that with minimal arms quirks?

What's you thoughts Ruby Lance?

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 16, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

We're in a pickle. If we want good butt meat on the CDA we're mostly only moving about 6 hexes for +2 instead of our normal +3 and the INF (who don't have any attacker movement penalty) and COM who stood for +0 attacker movement penalty are in range if we want to be in ML short range to the CDA (3 hexes) rear.

The only really good move I can see is for Prime, you can get to 0909 while moving 7 and while your rear is facing the STG, it should need 12 to hit. You'd move to 0907 and sharp turn down to 0909. You'd need 9 to-hit with ML and 11 with MGs. If you want a 8 to-hit and 10 for MGs, you'd walk to 0909 directly, but only get a +2 movement mod for your defense.

As for Razor, I think just running straight to 0911 might hide you from the COM. Can anyone double check the LoS rules for that? The COM is on lvl1 so sees at lvl 3, but the path to 0911 has a lvl2 hill in the way at 1110. Even if it can see you, it's shooting at 10/11 depending on half cover. The tanks would need 9 for the Scorpion AC/5 and 11 for the closer Galleon, the other one is over 12. The hill also should block you from the infantry. You can shoot at the CDA for 9 and your at 1 Heat now, running is another 2 heat and each ML is +3. You sink 12 Heat per turn. You can fire 3 ML, ending with 0 heat or fire all 4 for +3 and cut out one ML next turn. The MGs are 0 heat and would need 11 to-hit. The Flamer would also need 11 but also cause you +3 heat, so not a great option.

You can also try to hunt one of the vehicles, or jump to 0514 and face NE to setup for next turn. You could pick at the Galleon for 10 with 1 ML and 12 for the MG and end with 0 heat.

Mirage has some hard choices to make. You can get to 0808 for 9s at the CDA rear and IIRC the LoS to the COM as when it falls on the line between hexes it favors the defender. This also gives you like 10 vs the infantry and Scorpion, and I think 11 vs the STG. The hard choice is how many lasers to fire. You ran (+2 Heat) and can fire all 4 ML (+3 ea.) for a total of 14 heat. You sink 10 per turn, leaving net +4. This is the redline before you start taking negative effects from heat (+5 drops your walking by one, becoming 6/9, it never lowers your jumping range of 5) so next turn, no matter what happens you might have to ease off the firepower. Think about where you can move next turn to be relatively safe if you choose to overheat now.

For Glaive, I'll probably move to 0706 to keep a +3 but my shots will be crap vs the CDA, needing 11. I could also shoot the STG for 9s instead. Either way, I can also toss the MGs at the STG for 11 or 12 depending on if I split fire or not. I could get to 0808, but I'd only cover 6 hexes so I'd give that spot to Mirage who has 2x the firepower anyway.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I was thinking of running south west around the little hill and unloading on the tank there tbh. Will have to check what the to-hits would be but I'd have some cover from the CDA/COM.

Don't want to hang the locusts out to dry though.

Post some hexes you want to end at and I can run the numbers. But if you want to be west of Galleon #2 there's not a lot of options that don't go through the trees, which makes the Galleon's defense about +4 (+3 movement, +1 intervening Light Woods) which is worse than the CDA's +3.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What I had in mind was a run to 0216, and turning to face NE. I can fire an alpha on the galleon on +9, take return fire from its mla on +10. I don't think the scorpion can hit me after moving at flank, and I think with intervening terrain I'm safe from everything else. This leaves me with 4 heat.

I could run to 0910, get +2 TMM, finish facing NE and fire on I think 9+ on the cicada, or 8+? on the commando. I'll be partial cover from the stinger and I think not torso-twistable return fire from the CDA. Would be very exposed to the tanks and able to get chunked by the commando's LL on a 7.

I really like running and trying to dump a bunch of relatively safe damage on the galleon even though it pulls away from the other mechs.

Can someone with the rulebook handy confirm if a shot from 0910 at the CDA would be back arc? It gets a lot more tempting to trade damage and expose myself to horrible return fire if it is.

Edit the more I'm looking at it I don't want to expose myself to a hail of fire at 0910 for a chance at the cicada's back. Would rather trade a real solid shot on the galleon from 0216 for a bit of damage, then move back towards the mechs after

Feel free to chose which way your going to go with this, but let me know, so I could possibly take the 0808 hex if you're leaving it vacant. It's riskier for me to be there, but I can get 9s on the CDA. Downside of me moving there is I can't take the hit form the LL if it hits, you can.

Either way you're throwing 9s at targets, if you're very lucky, two-ish can hit the fresh Galleon and get some vehicle crits. On the other hand, throwing 3+ more ML at the rear of the CDA could open a torso for Prime's weapons to exploit. I'd personally throw 5-6 MLs at one target instead of 2 here and 3-4 there. Increases the odds of doing something meaningful to the biggest, fastest threat on the field vs a ML on treads. BT is all about focusing fire on a target to eliminate its threat to you as fast as possible. We usually want to drop the high threat unit first as it's an ablative game, each turn our combat capabilities get worse. We can get beat up and still defeat 2 Galleons. We can't get beat up and take out a CDA. The Galleons won't be a problem next turn anyway, we could be all on the hill this turn, and North of it next turn. It will take them at least a full turn to reach the base of the hill, then the next turn the could get LoS, but it buys us a turn with only the 'Mechs instead of all of them.

If you went to 0910, it should be a Right Side shot as the defender chooses the path when on the line (this choice becomes set in stone for these hexes for this turn) and MM usually rules correctly when picking these. Up side to 0910 is both you and Razor in 0911 could be blasting the right side arc on the CDA. This is where the PPC is stored in the RT, also greater chance of concentrating damage on the leg for an easy kill. But, you'd be more vulnerable to the COM and INF. I re-read the LOS and partial cover rules but I'm not totally sure you in 0910 gives partial cover bonus if the COM shoots at you since it's LoS originates from lvl3 elevation. The COM would be shooting for 8s or 9s depending, risky place to be vs 0808 with a tree in the way. The INF should get partial cover for 11 to-hit. I think if you wanted to shoot the COM, it would be 8 and hitting almost anywhere would open the location to crits.

Can anyone check the LoS and to-hits for/against Mirage at 0910?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Jenner can torso twist right?

Yes as far as I can tell. Your only quirk is Minimal Arms.

I submitted to 0706, firing at the STG. I don't know if I'd be available to submit on time if 0808 opens up so I'll just play it safe in case Mirage wants the hex.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I'll take 0808 to join in and try to shoot the back out of the CDA. We can shoot through each other without risk right?

Yes, Hexes represent 30m of space and 'Mechs are around 12m tall. So it's really just more of an extended personal space the 'Mech occupies. You can still cram like one allied and 2 enemy vehicles in there I think. I think the only common unit we might see that can block LoS will be DropShips. Otherwise there's no risk of friendly fire as far as I'm aware.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Very good hits from Mirage. Now that they've balled up in the center, what's you guys thoughts on where to move next?

One unit is particularly vulnerable this turn, but it will be a trade off.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yep, you guys got it. The infantry in 1405 is out on the open. Infantry in clear hexes take 2x DMG unless they're dug in like the ones in 1408. However, the 1405 infantry are right beside a lvl1 hill which might prevent LoS if we moved into 12XX or further West. Can anyone confirm if we can get LoS at 1206 or 1307 to infantry in 1405?

The STG is basically untouchable, jumped for +3 and +1 for Light Woods. That's a base of at least 9s if we walked into the open to try it, not worth it. The dense woods around the STG make it hard, but we can also use them to fall back around and prepare for next turn.

I can get to either 1303 or 1404. 1303 leaves me in medium range of the infantry for 9 but puts my MGs at 10 unless I'm forgetting some modifier for shooting at infantry. 1404 gives my MGs 6, but they'll blast me in return for 7. How much damage does this infantry do? Is it split by chunks of 5 like LRMs or 2 like SRMs? Is it cluster hit based or fixed damage amount based on # of surviving infantry?

Razor has some fun options if 1307 is blocked from the INF at 1405. You're could jump to 1307 and punch or push the STG, but I don't think you have hands so I will have to check on how that changes things. It's probably a joke option. But it cleans your heat debt and there's no penalty for missing a punch. Either way you probably want to be somewhere safe so you can cool down.

Mirage can get to 1306 and shoot the INF but I remember MLs not really being very effective, even with the 2x damage boost for clear terrain. Upside to 1306 is the Heavy and Light Woods protect you from everyone but the STG and infantry in 1405. The STG would need 12 with ML and the infantry would need 7. Again, we need to see how the INF damage runs to see if it's worth it.

Prime is kind of out of position, other than falling back North to setup for next turn, you might be able to reach 1307, but that really depends on if we can see the infantry or not. The STG would need 10s to hit you, INF in 1408 would only need 8, so not a great spot, doubly so if the other INF can see you, they'd need 8 too.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

Infantry damage is based on the number of living troopers multiplied by the damage potential of the weapons they carry. Damage is apportioned somewhat like SRMs, in 2-point chunks via the cluster table depending on how many troopers manage to hit their target.

Thanks for that. So they'll do about 8 DMG at best over 2 point chunks. I think I can probably soak that even if both INF hit, but I'll be very vulnerable after. I'll probably move to 1404 unless there's a better plan.

Edit: Where's my MG ammo by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Risky play for the LCTs -

Rush to 1610 and 1612 and rear blast the Galleon in 1609. I'll have to look at the details later.