Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A Save the metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I usually switch between the two but it's been a long time since I've Megamekked.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

SIGSEGV posted:

My one worry is that it does obscure the bottom of some hexes, where the height readout is, if the hex in front is taller, but also it's generally quite obvious from context.

This is the primary reason why I switched as needed, and might be an idea when relevant.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Gladiator pilot here. Advancing 7 gets the Javelin and Wasp in PPC range whilst remaining out of Whitworth LRM range. It's a low probability shot, of the two the Javelin is more dangerous, the Wasp more fragile. Probably looking to end up in 1418 this turn for the clearest shot. What's our targeting priority?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

biosterous posted:

i plan to run up to 1414 and :rolldice: my large laser at the javelin

(unless i have no LOS from there, in which case i'm moving to 1315 instead and :rolldice: from there)

i also have never played any battletech outside the Mechwarrior games, and that was decades ago :yayclod:

i have picked up a bit more from grey hunter's HBS Battletech LP, so i think focusing down the javelin and maybe cooking off its SRMs would be cool and good

You do have LOS from 1414 since it takes 3 light woods to block LOS, but you are clipping the light woods in 1313 so it would be a harder shot from there than from 1315.

Prior Battletech experience: First encountered it in a simulator pod in the Virtual World Battletech Center in the Trocadero, London, early 90s. Picked it up again with various Mechwarrior games later that decade and into the next. Found PTN's first thread, got into Megamek and learned the tabletop rules, joined a Mekwars campaign, became a faction head for two of its subsequent incarnations. Played in PTN's thread multiple times, was the first player headcapped by a Clan weapon and was grandfathered into the next mission by popular acclaim, played in the very last mission of the thread and made the very last attack that won it in a time-critical scenario. Played HBS' Battletech for 2,700 hours, including the same mod Grey Hunter is using for his LP.

All in on the Javelin sounds good to me. Roll boxcars, Sable Lance.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
That's all of us, there don't seem to be any positional conflicts, committing my orders.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

AJ_Impy posted:

Roll boxcars, Sable Lance.

Scintilla posted:

Weapons fire for Panther PNT-9R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 12
Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Javelin JVN-10N (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 12

Perfection.

Now, the tactical situation. Opfor mechs all moved 7 for a +3 to hit mod, except the Whitworth which moved 4 for a +1. We can pretty much move up to threaten any of them, who do we want to focus down?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CirclMastr posted:

I can head straight north and get to 6 hexes from the Wasp, putting it at short range of my PPC and medium range of the SRM. Though with all the movement, I might still be looking for boxcars to hit....

Base of 4, +2 for your own movement, +3 for the wasp's movement, -1 on the PPC due to improved targeting (short), +2 on the SRM for medium range. 8 for the big gun, 11 for the missiles. I think you're just about clear of the light woods. I'll back you up on that, heading to 1212 to PPC the wasp.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 6, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mine are in as above.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Dibs on 0713, I'm either jumping or running into it to get backshots on the Shadow Hawk.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hit modifiers. Locust jumped 6, +3 total. Whitworth jumped 4, +2. Javelin ran 7, +3. Shawk ran 5 into light woods, +2 move +1 woods.

Going to run the Gladiator.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Oh hey, the Whitworth didn't move. Running to 0707, the woods should cover me from the Shawk. Speed is life. The Whitworth is giving me sixes to hit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Jumping to 1205, attacking the Whitworth's right side I softened up this turn.

Edit, orders in. To-hits aren't going to be great.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 16, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Otter Madness posted:

Maybe I sit still and shoot the Whitworth? Better to-hits than running behind.

Yeah, since you're in heavy woods, that's viable.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Does the Whitworth crater hex count as rough terrain, or can I run 7 (spending a move to change elevation) to help focus on the Javelin and get in kicking range of the wasp?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Yep, destroyed mechs count as rough terrain.

Thank you. Fortunately I miscounted, 1205 to 1211 is six hexes, so doing that, short range weapons at the Javelin, kick the wasp. Orders in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm running to 1114 for backshots and a kick on the Shadow Hawk.

CirclMastr posted:

I am once again at a bit of a loss as to what my best move is.

If you wanted to go for glory, you can jump to 2012, SRMs into the back of the Wasp, and try to kick its head in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Three mechs in its rear arc is going to be fun.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, going for the left side of the SHawk seems like the optimal play, firing everything and kicking. I’d go with the ‘Team up on the Javelin’ play for everyone else, with luck we could end the mission.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Voting Circlmaster/Yukiko Ishimura/Panther PNT-9R for JUSTICE FOOT through the spine of the Wasp, the kill we can salvage from.

Opfor vote Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for being willing to fight it out to the end even as everyone else was crippled and exploded around him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I took that SHawk down with two kicks, let's pick it back up.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
It's a squishy lance, yes, but a fast one. Keep your speed up, get backshots, be aggressive.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Space Kablooey posted:

Question, since I'm spending 9 MP to get to 1811, does that mean that I'm automatically running, or can I choose to walk there, since 5 hex is within my walk allowance?

The move points spent determine if you're walking or running. So, spend 9, you're running even if you only move, say, three elevation changes into heavy woods.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Remmon posted:

But even better is when your elevation is 1 above your target and you get to KICK on the punch table. A 60 ton 'mech will one-shot anything it kicks in the head, a 50 ton 'mech will force a crit roll.
Bonus points if you're attacking from behind for a 50% chance of hitting a rear torso and getting to crit roll on that.

CF last battle, where we straight up cored a light mech this way.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

biosterous posted:

player MVP vote: the Jenner, for the nice early crit on the Cicada, and getting successful shots on pretty much target it engaged with
enemy MVP vote: the Commando, for being a threat that players always had to stay conscious of and maneuver around (until it was time to swarm and murder it)

Looks good.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Take nothing, free up salvage percentage for the future.

Unless there's particular weapons or components we need spare, I agree with this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Break the Phoenix Hawk, win the mission. I'd go all in on taking it out.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hunchback doing Hunchback things, Trebuchet for doing an excellent Kintaro impression.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:
  • Salvage all the tanks and strip them for parts. Spare LLs/MLs are always handy to have around and the Scorpion tank's LRMs can be sold or used as spares for the Shadow Hawk. Total value of the tanks would be 130k so that leaves an even 5 million in Mech salvage left over.
  • Salvage the Firestarter and Stinger and sell them. I'd love to keep the Firestarter but the cost of restoring it with our current funds doesn't seem worth it, and the Stinger is... a Stinger.
  • Salvage the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk and repair them. Both Mechs can be an upgrade to either Ruby or Sable Lance.

Works for me

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Changing to Anakha's revision

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Vraman and Shaw Long service, clean record and a usable amount of XP stack the deck in Shaw's favour. Vraman, a bit of therapy and he's eminently redeemable.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I like the new cockpits, the red glow is a bit too evil robot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yes to both.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C. Money is good, salvage is good, opfor is in poor shape.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I’m highly entertained already and that’s before a shot is even fired. Time this fresh meat got roasted.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Everything called an "urban brawler" is invariably something that can barely make a turn around a building hex corner without needing a concrete slip and fall test, let alone consistently fade away afterwards.

Hey now, don't be dissing the Powerslide of Glory.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

glwgameplayer posted:

As for the Wolverine and Trebuchet, I'm less sure about them. I think the best thing the Wolverine could do right now is just get to our side of the riverbed. The Treb could back off and hide, try and circle the Griffin for a pincer attack, or it could press the attack by getting into point-blank range with the enemy Griffin. It's risky, but I like the idea of making him swear and frantically try to back off from us

I thoroughly endorse plan Treb-In-Face. Three reasons, he has very lousy to-hits at point blank, you're in the rear arc of the Hunch and could just go 'Boo!' at the lordling whilst eliminating the backless mech, and you're in prime position for a humiliating melee attack depending on your choice of weapons fire.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A thought. The Griffin is next to a hole. Someone ending in the hex north and not firing their arm weapons could try and shove them in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Player MVP:

quote:

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Pushes Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 10: Succeeds! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) is displaced into Hex 2317!

Wolverine

Opfor MVP:

Hornet

Objective completion on both sides in a training exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B, a little tweak is plenty.