Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just saw this thread in the new LPs thread. I want to join up as a pilot but I never played this before. I will see how the game is played by the pilots first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 5

The Whitworth jerked and spasmed as its remaining LRM ammunition cooked off. Armour plates buckled and burst outwards as the shaped charges inside each warhead detonated one after another, a cataclysmic chorus of destruction that tore the stocky medium mech open from shoulder to hip. Gutted and broken, the Whitworth collapsed in a mangled heap, flames belching from its charred and mutilated corpse.

That'll buff out. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sent a PM as well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

At what point is a mech out of the fight but still able to be repaired, other than leg destruction?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Eliminate Pirate Lance: Turn 8

I’m going to write up an after-action report / salvage update to cap the mission off. In the meantime, I’d like you guys to vote for this mission’s MVPs, one for the players and one for the OpFor.

Voting for Otter Madness/Alexander Hahn/Stinger STG-3G for blowing up that SRM20 bin, mostly for the fireworks. Shame about the salvage, though.

As for the OpFor, Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for the coordination on Turn 4, and for the headshot on the Wolverine.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, grab the Shadow Hawk.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Drakanel has bowed out - Space Kablooey, you are now up in the Vulcan!

Roger that!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wiegieman posted:

You can tell how good an early IS design is by how many medium lasers it has.

Yeah 4 ML for 3 heat each, and sinking 12 heat per turn seems too good to be true.

Overheat penalties only apply if you can't sink enough heat, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

haha light mechs go wrrr

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since we're on the topic, what's up with the rock tiles?

Also, what should we consult for weapons stats (damage mostly) and effects?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 6, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

This is going to be costly. The PPC on the CDA and the LL on the COM will punch through to internals or even cut a leg off instantly, if they land a hit on the LCTs. Those weapons also out-range our Lance, along with the AC/5 on the Scorpion tank. We probably want to close and kill the CDA first, wheeling far left to keep those lvl2 hills between us the rest of the force. If we can get to where the CDA is, we might only have to fight the 'Mechs for a few rounds before the Vehs can get LoS. Problem with wheeling left, the VL is too far out of position and would be left alone on the right edge, and need to play peek-a-boo with JJ in and out of LOS to pester from the flanks. But hexes 1617/1618 are heavy trees that have a hill to help block LOS to the rest of the base. As long as we stay out of 6 hexes from the infantry, they're no threat, a problem for later during cleanup.

Note that IIRC, (please someone let me know if this is still true) it's easier to get to the side arcs of vehicles vs 'Mechs. 'Mechs front damage arc is the front three hexes, where a Vehicle is only the forward hex face, the two side hexes are side arc hits. This makes it easier to get to the weaker side armor. We could risk both LCTs to toss some roughly 8 To-Hits (4 Base +2 running +2 Med Range) at the Galleon. If we can land 3 of 4 ML to the side armor (not likely, but possible) we could destroy it in one turn. Next turn we could enter the CDA's hill to flank using 0510 or other lvl1 slopes. If we can get within 3 hexes of the CDA, the PPC's minimum range mods can protect us from that big gun.

I could reach 0915 by only turning twice (at 1219 and 0918) and maintain a +4 movement mod fire for moving 10 hexes. This sets me up for what I think is a right side arc shot on the Galleon. The other LCT has more options, but you probably want to try and only turn or change elevation twice to move 10 hexes.

What's the plan Ruby Lance?

Edit: As for fire and smoke - We'd need to be able to shoot the trees the CDA wants to use, it outranges us already and they have numerical advantage. If we waste time trying to start a fire with MLs in the CDA's space, the CDA will get more rounds to shoot us. We need to neutralize the CDA (it has LCT level armor) and prevent the OPFOR from bringing all of the other units into LOS. The VL has the best position to light a fire and use smoke for itself on the right side.

VL here. Yeah I was thinking about moving to the clump of forests on the left but I hadn't thought about starting a fire with my flamer. I haven't checked the ranges yet but I could start a fire on the far light woods, and try to hit the Galleon with 3 MLs.

I also thought about rushing forward to the right but I would be without support there so that's definitely out.

I think I should try and clump on the center (via the forest clump) with our Jenner. Maybe we should have our Locusts rush the Cicada and keep it busy. If we get lucky the 4 MLs between our LCTs can punch through the CDA's RT or LT armor.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

VL here.

I was thinking about my move and here's what I came up with, if LCT#2 agrees and if this is possible:
Movement Phase:
- VL: Runs to 1619 (9MP) (4MP to 1821, 2MP to 1820, 1MP turn to 1720, 2MP to 1619).
- LCT#2: Walks to 1618 (6MP) (4MP to 1220, 1MP turn to 1319, 1MP to 1319).

Shoot phase:
- LCT#2: 2 ML at the GAL at range 7. GAL can't return fire because of fire/smoke at 1318.
- VL: Flamer at 1318 (3 range) for a smokescreen.

How does this sound?

nevermind this

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 9, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ah I didn't know. I thought fire applied as soon as the fire chance was rolled in the firing phase, going by the last mission.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

I don't think that can work due to how the damage resolution for the fire/smoke happens after the firing phase. The smoke won't be there until it's too late. Or is that no longer correct?

You could jump to 1221 area for options next turn. If you landed to 1321 and land facing up/left you can run to 0517 next turn for +3 movement mod. This will group up with the JR7 next turn and you could still fire on something if they really push forward.

The LCTs can make it to/over the CDA hill on foot and you guys have jets so we can keep the woods the STG is in between us and the bull or forces. We can light those on fire if needed.

Edit - Hit post by accident on my phone before I was done.

I have a feeling the CDA will walk at least to 0709 next turn, because that will give it range to the whole valley and not give it a penalty for shooting. Right now I'm not too worried about us being in the open because it can't fire right due to the Lvl2 hill chain blocking LoS IIRC. I'm liking the idea to jump to 1221, it's out of range of the GAL and I could rush the CDA up with the JNR next turn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I want to flank left and delete that CDA ASAP.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in my jump to 1221

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm totally new to BT but IIRC from the manual only 1 heavy woods is needed to block LoS.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's probably in the manual, but to destroy vehicles do we need to destroy the center structure or does any structure will do?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm tempted to dump 3 lasers on the damaged GAL and the other laser in the other GAL. I think I can get a nice arc to both vehicle's sides.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

You'll be shooting at +8 at best vs the wounded Galleon if you walk to short range. 4 Base Gunnery + 3 Target Movement + 1 Walking. If you got the heat for all 4 lasers I'd dump them at the wounded Galleon to help finish the job.

I will probably just do that, then.

Scintilla posted:

Just a quick reminder to anyone who's interested that the Catalyst Battletech: Mercenaries Kickstarter still has eight days left to go. I've plumped for Veteran tier, but even the standard Recruit tier is an absolute bargain and well worth your money.

I'd get this in a heartbeat but as far as i know nobody nearby plays BT. :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think moving to 1120 and firing on the damaged GAL is a good bet for me. I will be in range of the other GAL's ML turret and the STG's ML, but it at least for the STG it's a long shot.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Note you're also in range of the LL on the CMD and AC/5 on the Scorpion (maybe about +9 to hit) and the PPC on the CDA for about +10. You might want to move a little further as 1120 is only travelling 2 hexes (+0) so you're adding +1 to your to-hit number by walking but not adding anything to the enemies due to moving less than 3 hexes.

If you want a really good hit on the Galleon, 1117 gets you in short range and gives you a +2 movement mod for incoming fire. If you want the same odds as 1120 but group up with the rest of the Lance, walking to 0918 gives you +2 defense for moving 5 hexes. If you wanted to run to 0915 for extra protection, you could torso twist and still hit the Galleon, but adding another +1 to your shots. However, you're in short range of the PPC so probably not a great idea. 0918 is medium range for the PPC, but your +2 movement cancels it out vs long range at 1120, and you're closer to the CDA for next round.

OP or other players - Let me know if you want me to stop breaking down everyone's moves. I can't recall who's familiar or not with the rules.

I appreciate the breakdowns as I'm 100% new on Battletech lol.

I think I can risk 0915 seeing as the GAL is pretty weak vs the 4 MLs I have - I only need 2 to hit at this stage. If it doesn't get destroyed at least I will be joined up with the lance and we can go vrrr somewhat together.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 12, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked my orders to 0918 and shooting at the GAL.

I think I will actually start sketching out the moves lol. doing in my head isn't cutting it

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I haven't really thought of a specific move yet, other than collapsing on the CDA again. It's a tempting target to me because it has its back to everyone, but it's too close to that CMD, and we'll have our backs to two of the vehicles.

I'm not that concerned about the STG because it's not packing much, but it can definitely finish one of us off if it smells blood...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

As for Razor, I think just running straight to 0911 might hide you from the COM. Can anyone double check the LoS rules for that? The COM is on lvl1 so sees at lvl 3, but the path to 0911 has a lvl2 hill in the way at 1110. Even if it can see you, it's shooting at 10/11 depending on half cover. The tanks would need 9 for the Scorpion AC/5 and 11 for the closer Galleon, the other one is over 12. The hill also should block you from the infantry. You can shoot at the CDA for 9 and your at 1 Heat now, running is another 2 heat and each ML is +3. You sink 12 Heat per turn. You can fire 3 ML, ending with 0 heat or fire all 4 for +3 and cut out one ML next turn. The MGs are 0 heat and would need 11 to-hit.

Yeah my first thought yesterday was to run straight as well. I like those odds on me because of narrow profile.

I'm going to lock this in later today when I get to a proper keyboard.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I completely miscalculated the To-Hit chance of my MLs. I thought I needed a 6, but then it turned out to be a 9 :negative: :

My working out: 4 (Gunnery) + 2 (Running) + 2 (TMM for 6 hexes) + 0 (Short Range) + 0 (No Bonuses) = 6 To-hit

Anyway. Amazing shot, Mirage!

Amechwarrior posted:

Very good hits from Mirage. Now that they've balled up in the center, what's you guys thoughts on where to move next?

I was thinking we could start moving NE towards the base to prepare a turn S towards the valley. In this turn though, I think me and our LCTs should focus on the INF#2 while JRT should pop some shots on the STG.

e: fixed brainfart

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 19, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

🤦🏻‍♀️ I thought the JRT had the MGs instead.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How much ammo does firing the MGs consume, anyway?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

All this time I could've been dumping damage for free...

"this is my machine gun. it fires a bullet every 5 turns, each bullet costs 5 C-bills. this weapon costs 20 C bills to fire for one operation"

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 19, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Razor has some fun options if 1307 is blocked from the INF at 1405. You're could jump to 1307 and punch or push the STG, but I don't think you have hands so I will have to check on how that changes things. It's probably a joke option. But it cleans your heat debt and there's no penalty for missing a punch. Either way you probably want to be somewhere safe so you can cool down.

I'm at 0 heat right now, so I can just do whatever.

Does 1206 have LoS to INF#2? It should, right? Even despite the elevation difference.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 19, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking of jumping to 1208 and punching the STG. IIRC melee attacks only check for piloting, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah I will just move north then. I don't think it's great to meet the OpFor in the valley, at least for right now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Let's just play it safe for this turn. Next turn we can focus fire and be more sure we can wipe them out in one swoop.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I can still easily make it back to the ridge from 0505 or up into the northeast of the map if that makes more sense next turn, so I think that's my best move.

if we want to splash INF#2 this is a good turn to do it since they moved; LCT#2 should be able to get to 1404 to put a lot of fire on them, and JR7 can jump to 1306 and fire a couple MLs for the assist?

I think the LCT#2 going around to the infantry sounds good, but the JR7 is already running hot, so if it wanted to get heat 0 this turn, it will only be able to help with a single laser this turn, after the jump. Your folks call, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I'm just going to jump to 0905 and run around next turn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in jump to 1106, facing SE.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I wish I had been paying attention to the start of this thing because I love mechs. Not necessarily Battletech mechs since my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans. Tactical mech combat? Yes, please.

You're in the middle of a contract so I guess I'll just chill and observe for now. I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but. I'd love to be involved in this later. I assume there is still room for people, or there will be later. I'll figure it out at some point. Good luck lads

this is literally my first time playing the battletech TT game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just leave some to me to napalm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ilmucche posted:

That flavour text :stonk:

:stonk: