Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Likewise, I didn't even know this existed until the announcement. No hate for PTN but I strongly prefer this to Alpha Strike, the mechs just don't have any soul when you aren't rolling weapons individually

Same imo. Also sent a PM to sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
All right, rocking the classic hunch 4g!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
All right! Going to be difficult to save the AC20 shots for good hits with a 4/5 pilot against a lot of these faster units. At least we have a few great cover spots on the way to the drop ship, and a good ridge to isolate ourselves and make them come to us without it's support if we need it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hunchback here, I'm thinking to just charge straight forward this turn. Not much to shoot at obv, and then I can swing to the west side of the map or divert south.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oops I'm bad at time zones. Pming now!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm thinking to head in to the light woods at 1808 for now as I work around to the west side hill. I think depending on where the enemies move I may end up shooting for somewhere around hex 1314, it'll let me get cover from the dropship while moving in to ideal AC20 range. I will straight up one shot the stinger or Galleons with an AC20 hit anywhere on them, and if they have to slow down as they approach I should be able to land it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Actually if you want to jump to 1808, I'll take 1709. I need to stay out of the woods for now to give me movement flexibility next turn, but since you have jets, no reason not to take advantage of them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I just figure with us having such poo poo gunnery, no one is going to have remotely worthwhile shots this turn. So may as well take positions that set us up for the best possible moves next turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would actually just sit still. You're not generating a movement mod from that movement, and you're hitting that treb on 6es (4 base + 2 enemy movement) with the LRMs while it needs a 10+ (4 base + 2 ran + 4 long range) to hit back at you.

I think this is a good turn to try and get the best shots possible in, because with our relatively poor gunnery those chances are going to be few and far between. Once we get closer to the dropship it'll be much more important to be maxing out our movement mods than it is while we've still got range on our sides here.

I'm considering moving on top of the tank in 1509 and shooting at the one in 1511. That gives me an 8 to hit which isn't great, but it also stops fire from the second galleon on me and lets me kick it on a 7. I'm also thinking I can turn and back up one hex in to 1708, and unload on the firestarter on 8s. I'm pretty likely to eat extra heat on this because the firestarter can light the woods up, but it's better for me defensively since at least the woods will give enemies a +1 to hit on me. The firestarter is also a slightly larger threat than the Galleon.

I'll focus on whichever one my blackjack buddy has a better shot at I think.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anakha posted:

Blackjack

I'm thinking of reversing 2 hexes to 2006 to put me out of range of the Firestarter's flamers.

Definitely gonna fire the LLs this turn. If my math is correct, that would mean 8s to hit on the Firestarter and the Galleon in 1508, 10s on the Galleon in 1510, and 7s on the Stinger. The Stinger's easier to hit, but the Firestarter's the bigger threat right now so I'm willing to focus fire on it if you are.

I know I initially mentioned focusing fire, but in retrospect
I'd take shots at whatever is the easiest to hit tbh. These enemies are so light that any heavy weapon hit is a good chance to cripple. A large laser hit will blow off arms, head, bring legs to 1 structure, etc on the stinger.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 21, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Orders in as well, backing up in to the woods in 1707 and then shooting the firestarter with both MLs and the AC20.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the Warhammer can get directly behind the treb and shoot it's lasers plus kick. The treb only has a choice of two ML or 1 laser 1srm to shoot something behind it, so it's going to be taking the worse part of that exchange.

The firestarter is basically impossible for me or any of us to hit this turn, the best case scenario is needing a ten on the dice. I think the treb is our best target for now, the firestarter does basically nothing if you're further than 3 hexes away from it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
We can't block each other so long as we end in different hexes. I'm not sure where I'm going to try moving yet. I think it'll be an attempt to get shots on the trebuchet though. Have to math out various spots on my PC.

I think leaving the stinger alone is good, it's crippled and will probably kill itself. The firestarter is also no threat outside 3 hexes. The treb has the most firepower ATM by far.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Did the woods hexes get converted to fire + smoke hexes? Or are the woods (and the associated movement penalty) still there?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anakha posted:

Edit: I'm an idiot and did the math wrong - can't move 3 hexes to 2007 so I'll have to settle for a 1-hex movement there that should put me at 7s to hit with my LLs and the enemy Treb at 8s with its arsenal.

I currently don't see any way for you to get into short range for your AC, so you might be best off running to my current spot in 2006, which should give you and the Treb 9s to hit each other. You might be in range of the Firestarter, but there are two hexes of woods between you plus partial cover because of the level 1 hex in 2005 which puts the other at 10s or 11s to hit.

Also, argh, forgot to post and you might not be able to ammend orders in time, but Blackjacks have flippy arms- You can flip your arms and shoot straight backwards at the Treb with no movement at all, for the best possible shots. Just standing in the woods is already as much of a defensive bonus as you'd be able to get otherwise, too, anyhow. And it saves you a point of heat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

glwgameplayer posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the computer game but I feel like RNG has been kicking us in the pants here. We just unloaded a storm of weapon fire on the Treb and it got away mostly intact.

I think the best I could get against the enemy Treb with my lasers is an 8 (4 base, 2 sprint mod, 2 evasion) plus whatever evasion it has being in one tile of light woods. I could do the same with my LRMs but that would be a bit riskier since I'd have less evasion.

Don't forget that Eagle Standard is set to fire again next turn, so we should try and either head north or get in cover.

This feeling is really a byproduct of playing 3025 level tech with average pilots- our best shots still only have 40% approximate chance to hit. Reliable damage in this era is very very hard to do.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you should actually stand still and shoot the treb with LRMs. You'll have 7 to hit: 4 base+2 enemy movement +1 light woods. You're a hex or so out of range of the drop ship, and the galleons are too lightly armed to truly be a worry.

I'm not going to have any good options for shots with the hunch this turn I think. Tentatively planning running north to 2607 and continuing to shoot lasers at the tanks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Galleon doesn't back shots on you right now. The galleon would be hitting on the right side table. You're good. Torso twists don't change anything about where you take fire, for better or worse.

And yeah, you can't really worry about stuff like maybe "two lasers hit and both roll rear ct" to get a chance to take the shots where you can. Obviously if it were something more serious, playing defense is the right call, but math wise you just gotta play the best average for damage done and taken while focusing fire as best we can.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The warhammer doesn't have enough MP to make it in to those woods unfortunately, not without using the (potentially pretty dangerous) hurried movement rules. I'm not sure if we're using that one, since it's from TacOps, but it lets you ignore extra MP costs for entering various types of terrain, in exchange for doing a PSR with a +2 penalty for each extra MP ignored. So for ignoring the +1 mp cost for entering a hex of light woods, you'd have to make a PSR with a +2 penalty. To ignore the cost for entering heavy woods, it would be a whopping +4 penalty.

It can get you out of a sticky situation, but used recklessly it can get you in to an even worse one!

For the Blackjack I'd also consider the same move the Warhammer made last turn- Just walk directly behind the Trebuchet and unload in it's back. It can still tag you with infernos, sure, but you also have enough sinks to weather it just fine, and it can only aim one launcher behind it. Since it's already taken rear armor damage, you have a very good chance of shredding it for good in concert with the trebuchet's LRMs.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 28, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, unfortunately the MP penalties are applied to walking MP, which is what scales down your running MP. So a -2 MP penalty moves a 4/6 unit down to 2/3.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ardlen posted:

Isn't the Trebuchet in medium range if they stand still? So it'd be 9s with the LRMs?

well poo poo, that's right, I miscounted hexes. So movement is required to get a shot on 8s. 2707 facing 2607 would do the trick I guess. I'm going to 2607 and shooting the close Galleon.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 28, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Planning on moving to 2909 and taking out the injured galleon. I have 6es with the AC20, and 5 on a kick. The firestarter only has a single laser to tag me with in reply.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the blackjack has a nice potential move to 1709, jumping in to the heavy smoke. Your shots on the treb are bad, but, nothing else can really hit you either with a +4 defense mod.

Or you can move north and help clean up there, too. I think I have good enough odds on my galleon to finish it off.

I'll be sure to amend my orders with a contingency for the firestarter just in case, thinking about it though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think we may as well use the right edge of the map to get in to range. It'll be slow, but it has cover from the drop ship and with the fast movers eliminated theres no real time pressure on us.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm moving to 2912 and setting up for the next few turns just slogging through the woods to the south. It'll be slow, but with double woods cover we're basically immune to long range fire. And, well, if anything comes in to CLOSE range, that's what a Hunchback is for.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah I'm just going to take a step back to not get kicked, and blast the treb.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oops, I think I might have sent PTN the orders I meant for you, heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

No problem, I imagine juggling two sets of orders for two different LPs might get confusing. I did my best to extrapolate what you would have done based on your thread comments.

Yeah backing up one hex and shooting the treb was exactly what I was going to do so it worked out!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are the rocks on the difficult terrain hexes?

Depending on whether or not they are I'm either going to just go forward two hexes in to the woods, or go a bit south in to 2813 to be ready to dash forward from there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you want to be defensive the only really worthwhile move is backing up in to the heavy woods. That will actually make you pretty much unhittable. Otherwise just sit still.
I'd also consider 2318 as a very good move. The LRM tank is inside min range, the PHX is blocked, the Firestarter has no arms to prop itself up with to shoot, and that leaves only the lone Scorpion, which has to shoot through woods and partial cover to aim at you.

Sitting still and shooting the LRM tank is a good option, as is running forward.

I'm unfortunately still kinda stuck doing nothing but moving up this turn, to 2815. I could rush out of the trench I'm in this turn, but that doesn't really get me any defensive mod at all and my armor is too thin in places to risk that just yet. 2815 sets me up for at least getting a +2 move mod if I run full forward, depending on where the PHX moves.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you go there then just make sure to end movement facing 2417 so it's easy to get out of that little pit next turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm just gonna run straight forward this turn. No good shots really so I'm holding off on the AC 20, but I'll throw laser fire out at the tank probably

E: actually I can hit the tank with the AC on a 4, it's immobilized. I'll take that shot, it's as close to a guaranteed kill we can get. Other folks can shoot elsewhere.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Treb to 2419 and shooting the fuel could be a very pro move too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anakha posted:

Yeah the biggest threat is the Dropship guns and saving the PHawk for last just allows those guns free reign.

E: Treb and Hammer are going to 2015 and 2016 respectively, so I've put my orders in for 2216.

If you stop at 2414 you get much better shots with the large laser, and the benefit of partial cover from both enemies fwiw. Walking to 2414 you can hit the PHX on 8s with your larges and 10s with the mediums. Jumping to 2216 puts you at 10s needed on the larges.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Going full aggro and moving to 2418 to unload on the PHX.

I am very close to going down with a few bad hits, but I think it's worth the chance to take this guy down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
yesssssssssssss, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now I have an actually tough choice, because if this were a one off mission, I'd 100% just walk one hex down in to the trench with the PHX and blast it with the best to-hit numbers we're ever likely to have against it. I'll be hitting on 5s, which is amazing for our level of piloting ability.

But... I'm down to low single digit armor on most locations and I'm facing down an SRM-6 that only needs a 7 to hit me in return. I'm potentially getting the Hunchback pretty roughed up, but my ammo carrying torso still has enough armor to weather a couple SRM hits, and my 5 armor leg will have cover.

My inclination is to go for it, because an AC20 hit on the left side table has a very good chance of just straight crippling the PHX- It will blow off the arm entirely, leave the LT on 3 structure, the left leg on 1, etc. Another kick and pilot hit chain could end this for us right here, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, the chance is too good not to take. And besides, the cluster table is a fickle master.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
God the classic hunch 4g is such a badass in this era of play. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Heading to 2514 and unloading on the scorpion. THE HUNCHBACK HUNGERS