Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Gotta vote A and also PM incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I prefer isometric.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Gladiator pilot here. Advancing 7 gets the Javelin and Wasp in PPC range whilst remaining out of Whitworth LRM range. It's a low probability shot, of the two the Javelin is more dangerous, the Wasp more fragile. Probably looking to end up in 1418 this turn for the clearest shot. What's our targeting priority?

Panther pilot here. Never played tabletop Battletech before so feel free to direct me on specifics. Generally though, action economy is king. If we're talking low odds on hit, better to roll them against a target that needs fewer hits to go down.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Well, if we're all in on the Javelin, it looks like I can run to 1518 and just barely be in range with my PPC.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Same.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can head straight north and get to 6 hexes from the Wasp, putting it at short range of my PPC and medium range of the SRM. Though with all the movement, I might still be looking for boxcars to hit....

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Base of 4, +2 for your own movement, +3 for the wasp's movement, -1 on the PPC due to improved targeting (short), +2 on the SRM for medium range. 8 for the big gun, 11 for the missiles. I think you're just about clear of the light woods. I'll back you up on that, heading to 1212 to PPC the wasp.

I'll probably hold off on firing the SRM then, for the sake of heat.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I've confirmed my orders, firing PPC only at the Wasp.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Dibs on 0713, I'm either jumping or running into it to get backshots on the Shadow Hawk.

I could turn and walk to 1314, which should put me 6 away from the Shadow Hawk so I can fire on it reasonably effectively.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I could turn and walk to 1314, which should put me 6 away from the Shadow Hawk so I can fire on it reasonably effectively.

Locked in this move and firing PPC at Shadow Hawk.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

There goes my 100% hit rate with the PPC. :smith:

Can I get a check on whether the Javelin is in my firing arc?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am tempted to just unload on it from here.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I am tempted to just unload on [the Javelin] from here.

Locked in.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That definitely could have gone better....

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I think we need to go back to that turn 1 strategy of focusing fire, and focus fire on the Whitworth.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Locked in a jump to 1212 and attack on Whitworth.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I seem to be slightly surrounded. Any suggestions where I should jump to?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Gnoman posted:

1610 (facing 1510) would protect your rear mostly - 1711 is the only rear-arc spot the Javelin can jump to, and I don't think that it can actually shoot there if it managed to land.

Just to confirm, this move would generate 12 heat, correct? So I don't think firing would be wise for me.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Alright then, locked in that move plus firing at the Javelin.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am once again at a bit of a loss as to what my best move is.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

If you wanted to go for glory, you can jump to 2012, SRMs into the back of the Wasp, and try to kick its head in.

Locked this in

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Also thinking about the current Battletech kickstarter. How much more complex is the tabletop game compared to this here?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Welp. I guess there'll be no salvage from the Wasp either.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, going for the left side of the SHawk seems like the optimal play, firing everything and kicking. I’d go with the ‘Team up on the Javelin’ play for everyone else, with luck we could end the mission.

Moving to 1811 and firing at the Javelin, then.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I broke down and ordered a Battletech Beginner Box today.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Voting for Otter Madness/Alexander Hahn/Stinger STG-3G for blowing up that SRM20 bin, mostly for the fireworks. Shame about the salvage, though.

As for the OpFor, Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for the coordination on Turn 4, and for the headshot on the Wolverine.

Same

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Obviously we should go for the Shadow Hawk (though it probably could use a different weapon loadout if possible).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ilmucche posted:

oh god i'm in a jenner and going to die.

I was going to make a joke but then realized the toy brand is Kenner, not Jenner, so never mind.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Scintilla posted:

Great question! Unfortunately MegaMek doesn’t display paintwork too well, but the company is meant to have an alternating black / white pattern where half of the mech is white with black highlights and the other half is black with white highlights. It’s meant to symbolise the names of the two founders with both Sterling (silver / white) and Sable (black). Right now all lances are painted the same, but that might change in the future.

I've been thinking about how to paint my figures, and since this thread got me to buy into the tabletop game, maybe I should use this.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Finally got in a copy of Total Warfare, which will hopefully help me to understand more of what's going on.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet the medium laser is the deadliest mech weapon statistically speaking

I read a breakdown somewhere that said the best weapon in terms of expected damage per BV is the AC/10.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm going to be the one who votes for recruit none

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

My heart says B but my head says C...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fine, I'll vote C then.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I vote that it's too early to spend XP. Gotta improve gunnery first.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Also voting for B as a field refit is plenty.

I am inching ever closer to showing off a thing in the thread.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I question whether I'll ever use the Thunderbolt's MGs.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Scintilla posted:

I'll let you go in empty if you want, but I tend to agree with PTN's comments that 10 MG rounds is a fair minimum.

Am I allowed to dump some but not all MG ammo?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Thunderbolt's SRM-2 and Machine Guns are really risky. The SRM-2 will function just fine with between 6 and 9 shots (24-36 ammo explosion damage), and the Machine Guns can get away with 3 shots per gun. You probably won't need to use them, but they are free damage if something gets into kicking range.

This sounds good. 6 shots of SRM-2 and 6 shots of MG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm thinking I have the Thunderbolt run for the ramp up the right side, though it'll be a bit finicky to get up there without traversing deep snow.