Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Likewise, I didn't even know this existed until the announcement. No hate for PTN but I strongly prefer this to Alpha Strike, the mechs just don't have any soul when you aren't rolling weapons individually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Scintilla posted:

I imagine it having Slenderman-style long arms and fingers.

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Take nothing, free up salvage percentage for the future.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
You'd think you could just rule that MGs have 10 "shots" each built into the weight as external magazines or internal reservoirs, honestly. It's such a weird thing to have a situational backup weapon be such a deathtrap because nobody in Battletech can add anything to a mech in increments not measured at least fractionally in tons.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I've always liked the Panther and I especially liked it in HBS. It wasn't "use it for the entire run" tier but there was really only one light mech that was, and during the time you were still dropping with lights you could do a lot worse than a big limb-removing sniper that hopped around in the woods.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer checking in, mission looks great! Three of my favorite mechs, and a Blackjack (sorry Blackjack). I'm particularly fond of the big red cluster of marked fuel tanks sitting next to the Union.

Also, drat that's some hype mission fluff. Compliments to the chef.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

anakha posted:

Seriously though, I like this Blackjack variant and I usually mod the default Blackjack in the HBS Battletech game to this variant because it's so easy to manage.

Yeah you do have the good Blackjack, I'm used to thinking of it as a medium cursed with AC/2s like some kind of smaller, sadder Jagermech. Regardless between your LLs, my PPCs, and the Trenchbucket doing its thing hopefully we can lure some of the enemy out of the ideal range of the dropship's guns and into Hunchback surprise range.

e: Also I think Multi-Tasker on my pilot means I can split fire with less to-hit penalties, so even if something's up in my grill I can easily keep blasting other stuff in the distance with one PPC without heat troubles.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 12, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey Scintilla, quick question: when you say the Dropship's weapons' forward arcs are 1122, 1222, and 1223, do you mean that all of the guns can fire within an arc delineated by those hexes, or do you mean that the weapons in the Laser Bay draw a forward arc from 1123 with 1122 as the center, the Ballistic Bay draws its arc around 1222, etc.?

Either way, I spent some time on it and I think if I turn and run straight to 2609, I have a +2 movemod and I can shoot a few of them. I could target the Firestarter while it's motionless, which is tempting but probably a bad idea at 11s and across Height 1. Alternatively, and this is the one that attracts me more, I could take shots on 10s across Height 1 at the Trebuchet, and lorewise that's the angry guy piloting a short-range mech, and therefore the most likely one to break formation first if somebody starts sniping at him. And I'd be in a decent spot to hide in or behind the woods or to run back northwest next turn depending on how they move. I also might be in the Dropship-blocking shadow of that central mountain with the heavy woods on top, I have never been able to eyeball height LoS in Battletech.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

anakha posted:

Do we wanna swing towards the Stinger and light tanks or move to snipe the Scorpion tank?

Given that we're just starting to move I think we're safe to hedge our bets and wait until we see how they maneuver before we answer that. I suspect the Stinger side is what we're going to be pushed towards but it all depends on how safe they want to play it with the Trebuchet and Firestarter, which are really their brawlers. If they just let us take the side with the Stinger they'll be giving up the dropship's guns, so if we pressure them a little the center mechs and vehicles won't have any choice but to come out or risk being killed piecemeal.

Personally I (Warhammer) am going to 2609 to take shots at the Trebuchet, and my plans next turn are probably to move back northwest depending on how they react to that. Fingers crossed their LRMs don't get lucky, better yet that they burn out.

edit: wait, I'm being dumb, if I walk to 2607 instead I literally have a better shot from only using walking MP, I don't get any return fire, and I'm better positioned to stick with you guys too. I'm doing that.

glwgameplayer posted:

I have a question. Would it be worth it for me to try and reach the higher ground to our left? I can get up there if I run, but will it matter when there are all the woods right below it? I don't know if elevation is a good bonus or not in the tabletop game

If not I think I'm just gonna walk 5 tiles forward and call it a day. I'd like it if they left the death chamber created by the dropship before we fought them

There is no intrinsic elevation bonus in tabletop, although you will be able to ignore the woods on height 0 because trees are height 2 and mechs are height 2, so by standing on height 1 you will be firing over them. Woods one level below you only count for LoS and penalties if the target is in them or directly behind them. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of that please!)

In any case I think everybody is basically okay to just walk forward or take potshots as they desire right now, we're not so stuck in yet that we can't change our plans.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 16, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Scintilla posted:

Just a quick reminder - the DropShip won't open fire until Turn 3, so you have a couple of turns to get set up before you need to start worrying about it.

Oh, even better then. Is it going to open fire during Turn 3 or after Turn 3, i.e. do we have two turns after this one or three?

Actually speaking of, I sent in orders for "Turn 0", would you prefer we use the Turn number listed in the update or should we do N+1?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
All weapons track their ammo by the number of times the weapon can be fired regardless of how many shots come out, barring stuff like Ultra ACs which aren't on the table. It's just that when a weapon fires one shot, the shots you imagine being fired are naturally going to match the ammo count. 16 LRM-15 shots on a unit's sheet are 16 separate chances to fire one LRM.

That being said, the TBT-5S does appear to be carrying 80 shots for those SRM-6s compared to the more normal looking count of 15 on the Scorpion, I'm going to assume that's either a typo or displaying the "real" missile count as opposed to being the most optimistically designed mech of all time with all internal space filled with ammo.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oops. Well, I was pretty tired and didn't zoom in on the real image, just pulled up the timg and leaned in. It's okay though, you don't need to have functioning eyes or a brain to pilot a battlemech.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
What's worse is that every time you boot up the Blackjack Clippy starts asking if you need help loading your mech's ammo bays.

glwgameplayer posted:

I already feel like an absolute goober for turning in the opposite direction of everyone else. I had an idea involving the high ground one turn and dashing into the woods the next, but I forgot that the light squad would probably be moving fast and therefore stacking evasion pretty hard.

I could either continue my dumbass plan by climbing the hill and shooting at the little guys with a highly inaccurate LRM volley, dash into the woods with intent to laser the hell out of them next turn, or say “no” and turn around to join the skirmish with a slightly more accurate set of LRM volleys

Don't worry about it, you're at worst 1 or two moves behind and by the looks of things the fight is coming to us.

My initial thought for my move this turn is to walk to 2309 and hit the LRM Scorpion tank on 9s. That spot puts woods between me and everything that could shoot at me. Next turn I might just back up to the north, if they're so eager to give up their dropship's shadow I don't mind letting them.

From 2309 I also have shots on 10s at the Firestarter but tbh super short range mechs like that are pretty badly defanged by always losing initiative. I could be persuaded otherwise if we want to try focusing fire on it, though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

glwgameplayer posted:

If no one has any advice for me I think what I'm going to do is just, back up 3 spaces, turn, and then walk right behind where the Hunchback is now, tile 2308 I think. From there I... can't really tell whether I have a line of sight or not? But the only ones that seem worth firing on would be the scorpions. The Mech and the Tank.

I could also Run, but I think the best I could do then is get in the Hunchback's spot. And once again, trying to conserve LRMs for later

Oh also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the melee rules? Not everything but just a little crash course? I’m not sure if it will be necessary but as the quickest mech in the lance it might fall to me to chase down and kick/punch the stinger if it gets uppity

It's ultimately up to you, but I see a few places you could go that have interesting potential. If you run to 1704 and turn to face 1604, the Stinger is sitting right in the LRM sweet spot, giving you shots on 9s and forcing any return fire to be going into Light Woods. From there you can run back towards us or even keep climbing the mountain next turn. Another place you could go is 2306 facing 2307. You wouldn't have any shots this turn but you'd be set to walk into 2310 next turn, which would put them in an awkward position where if they move up a little bit to draw us towards the dropship they're risking being in your sweet spot with bad movemods, but if they try to move much closer they're approaching a zone where we could all focus fire one of them while they're overextended.

As for melee: melee uses your piloting skill instead of your gunnery, so your base to-hit would be 5 instead of 4. Melee is its own phase so you can melee a different target than you shot at without penalty. Punching does 1 damage per 10 tons, so for you that's 5 damage. A mech with two arms can punch twice, two separate rolls. You can't punch with an arm that fired any weapons on the same turn, so for all intents and purposes punching in your Trebuchet is the same damage as firing your arm-mounted MLs but with worse to-hit and no heat generation. Finally, punching occurs at height 2, so you can't punch a vehicle unless it's at height+1 relative to you. (I might be wrong and you just can't punch vehicles ever, I lost my Total Warfare PDF.)

Kicking doesn't restrict weapons. It does 1 damage per 5 tons (so 10 for you), gives a to-hit bonus such that it's easier to land hits, and if it hits it can force a piloting check in the enemy to avoid falling over, but it forces you to make a piloting check or fall over if you miss. You can only kick once per turn. Against mechs, kicks roll on a damage location table that makes it so you can only really hit the other mech's legs, assuming you're on the same height. Kicking does work on vehicles on the same height level as you. It's worth pointing out for people only familiar with the HBS computer game that there is no "double damage melee" rule for vehicles.

Anyway, just going to go ahead and confirm for the team that I'm heading to 2309 in the Warhammer and shooting the LRM Scorpion.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm backing up to 2406 to join our Trebuchet in giving the enemy Treb the patented Sterling and Sable Hello. Fingers crossed I can open some holes for those LRMs to find.

vvvv: yeah, I'm not gonna count our chickens before they hatch but there's decent odds we at least open up a section, and it is full of ammo.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 21, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

glwgameplayer posted:

Trebuchet

In that case I think I’m gonna go to 2807, turn north, torso twist if I have to, and then fire all my lasers at the enemy Treb. (Still on mobile I can’t bold my orders)

Between me and the Warhammer we might be able to break something

Warhammer

If I can ever roll a 7+, yeah! :argh: (Also the reason you can't bold is you're using \ instead of /)

But yeah, even with the Galleons moving up to threaten I'm willing to take some damage to get the Trebuchet off the field. I'm going to 2606 via 2407 to get a move mod and giving him the MLs+SLs+kick. A torso twist should also give me a pity PPC shot on 12 at the Firestarter since I have Multi-Tasker. I'd consider throwing some punches instead for the chance to hit high on the Treb, but I'm pretty sure I'm taking an extra to-hit penalty because the Warhammer has pool noodles instead of hand actuators. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

The lack of hand actuators does in fact hurt your punches. The other thing to consider is that a successful kick forces a PSR, and doing more than 20 damage in a round also forces a PSR. A kick from a 70-ton Mech should do 14 damage, meaning that if you also hit with as many as two of the lasers you'll get to 20.

Not to mention that a kick is almost guaranteed to hit the legs, so a successful 14-point kick will take the Treb down to one point of armor on that leg, a serious vulnerability.

Your other option would be to Run to 2908 and dump your PPCs into his back. That would come at a noticeable heat cost.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that was the case. I can't make it to 2908 as a 4/6, I could torso twist and shoot from 2808 but I think I'm better off going for the kick and taking the chance to cool off in the process. So: confirmed, taking the Warhammer to 2606 and backshot-kicking the Trebuchet, and now that I look at it again I notice I should have a slightly better PPC shot at the Galleon instead of the Firestarter so I'll make them the secondary target instead.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Ouch, toasty. I think I'll just stand still and fire one PPC at the Trebuchet. I could run north for a kick on the Galleon, but I'd rather have better to-hit than a chance at a kick (and most likely a chance at falling on my head when I miss from all the to-hit penalties).

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Confirmed, orders in to stand still and fire one PPC at the Trebuchet. Overheating me was a cute trick but with the P-hawk, Scorpion and LRMScorp too cowardly to engage they don't have enough threats to keep me moving.

Also it's getting lost in all the fire-based excitement but I just want to send out some thoughts and prayers for the mobility-critted Stinger pilot caught in the stand up dance, both unable to get his footing or to slip into merciful unconsciousness. I know your pain little guy.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Alright, could've gone a little better but certainly could've gone much worse! I think the clear move for me here is to run to 2904 facing 3004 and go after that Galleon with my lasers and a kick, splitting off a PPC shot at the other Galleon.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer

Alright, could've gone a little better but certainly could've gone much worse! I think the clear move for me here is to run to 2904 facing 3004 and go after that Galleon with my lasers and a kick, splitting off a PPC shot at the other Galleon.

Put these orders in with a contingency to take that PPC potshot at the Firestarter instead if the lower Galleon is already dead by the time I fire.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Scintilla posted:

Unfortunately MegaMek resolves the shooting phase all at once, so I can't accept such contingency orders. I'm afraid you're going to have to pick one or the other, or else split your fire between them.

Ah, I misunderstood. No biggie, you can literally just ignore the invalid contingency then, orders should still work.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

"Hang in there baby" kitten poster except with a Stinger trying to pick itself up by leaning on trees

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Looks like this is going to be a regrouping turn, mostly. I'll go to 2506 and fire at the Trebuchet. I have 11s on both it and the Firestarter, but since the Trebuchet is down to just the Inferno launcher I could get overheated. With that in mind (and so I cool down to 0 anyway), I'll just fire one PPC, so I might as well target the mech that could very well die to one PPC.

Also now the Stinger pilot is Very Depressed :(

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Alright, these orders are in. As for firestarting I feel like the only place a fire would have a clear use would be 1913 and honestly I'm not worried enough about the Scorpion that I want to trade that hex's value as future standing-inside cover for extra maluses on his to-hit, at least not yet.

In any case, as the heaviest and best armored mech on the team, next turn I should try to be the one to draw the dropship's LRMs so we can get another couple turns of safety. Technically we could circle around the left side and come over the hills at them to completely remove the dropship from the equation, but we're slow and with only one jumper I feel like we'd just get chewed up anyway from poor move mods. Plus it wouldn't be too exciting for us or the audience to spend 5 turns shuffling over there.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Alright, PHawk's finally making a move and we've got a brawl coming up with the Trebuchet and Firestarter. 2511 would give me an alpha strike backshot on the Trebuchet (small lasers don't count, c'mon) but I think that's a trap, it would be on 11s 9s with the intervening woods and might put me in an awkward spot to back out of when the Firestarter next moves, not to mention the Dropship fire.

If I walk to 2707 then I have much better odds on the Trebuchet and my poor movemod will be compensated for by two intervening woods between me and the Scorpion that's been desperately trying to hit me this whole time, so that's probably my plan. I was hoping to draw the Dropship's LRMs this turn but I think that can wait since they're pushing forward again.

The Hunchback might genuinely just want to back up, stand and deliver, all the woods will ruin the Firestarter's shot and the Trebuchet only has infernos, melee, and being in the way to threaten us with.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 9, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Okay, since everybody else should be able to handle the Trebuchet, change of plans: I'm going to 2409 and shooting at the Scorpion tank as part of my ongoing campaign of complete disrespect for the Scorpion battlemech.

(Not gonna lie though, I am a little tempted to go to 2108 and try to kill the Stinger simply because it'd be hilarious to swat him the same turn he finally feels hope)

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm going straight south to 2415 and shooting at the Firestarter.

Also judging by his piloting, objective, and overall personality I think Thabo Ngumo is probably going to climb out of that Trebuchet and start chasing after us with his sidearm.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

It's an aggressive move, but if I go directly to 2217 I can finish the Firestarter with SLs+Melee, hit the Scorpion LRM with 1 PPC+MLs, and cool off a little in the process. The Scorpion would have a shot on me, but eh, that's nothing new. I'm not sure but I think the PHawk can't actually shoot me there, I think its LoS should be blocked. If it can see me I might change my mind but even if it can, my left side is the pristine one and I'd be in a great spot to flush the Scorpion out of cover next turn while also getting into cover against the Dropship.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Yeah, after crudely diagramming it out I'm pretty sure he does have clear LoS on me, but screw it, I'm doing it anyway. He'd be shooting my undamaged profile and even if I take a few hits, I think it's a good setup move for next turn even setting aside the chance to kill the tank and firestarter.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oops, I thought the dropship was firing next turn. Oh well, could've been way, way worse.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, I'll be fine. Probably. Assuming I don't end up in a karmic standup dance for laughing at the Stinger's plight. Once I get back to my PC I'll figure out what to actually do orders-wise.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey Scintilla, could you (or somebody else) give me a quick rundown on the rules around standing up? I can't remember how it works and it's not in the quickstart.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I agree that we should focus fire on the Phoenix Hawk. I can get to him even if it takes two attempts to stand and I really don't think there's anywhere more worthwhile to go with my limited movement, so I'm heading to 2016 (right below where I believe our Treb is going). Let's see if we can get lucky and boot this jackass's leg off from pristine the moment he finally joins the fight.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

anakha posted:

Hammer: The forest hex at 1913 is reachable at 6 movement and puts you at short range for your PPCs to the Scorpion. You'd have 9s to hit each other.

Warhammer

Yeah, looks like my best move, so I'm heading there. Depending on how the Stinger and Scorpion move next turn I might just keep going after them, somebody has to get the Dropship to fire or it'll just sit on its weapon charge, so forcing it to only fire the LRMs at a bad mod is important.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Oops, should've double-checked my heat, now I'm a 3/5. It's fine, I'll still take my shots on Preston from 2311, I just won't have +2 movemod. If he was just a little more beat up I'd consider backing up to 1916 instead and gambling on taking him out to permanently silence the Dropship, but this is Battletech, you can never safely assume a kill is confirmed.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Does the hill not block 1916 from the ship?

It does but if we all go into cover the dropship weapons will stay charged, until Preston is confirmed killed somebody has to bite the bullet and draw LRMs to free up our maneuvering space.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Hell yeah, Phoenix down and I didn't even get chewed up by the dropship. This turn I'll head to 2611, give the Scorpion my lasers and a boot, and cool off in the process. Fingers crossed if I can force the Scorp to make a piloting roll it'll go down to its Hard to Pilot quirk.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Alright, well, time to chase the bugs around with a newspaper. Heading to 2310 and firing on the Scorpion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm thinking I'll go to 1811. Max move mod, lasers to critseek the opened up parts of the Scorpion while inside its PPC minimum range, and I can split off one PPC at the Stinger in the process while staying heat neutral. Not to mention it gets in the Scorpion's way and will force it to lose movemod next turn turning or sidescrabbling.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 6, 2023