Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Voting A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Stinger pilot here. I am thinking of running up to 1515 to set up for next turn. Even if I am in range of the LRMs, I think I should be unhittable between hexes moved and terrain.

My experience has only been in the PTN threads, but I've played twice in the old one and once in the alpha strike one.

Getting the Javelin off the field is probably the beat idea.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Same! Orders sent!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Nice shooting team!

I was thinking of ducking into the forest to the ahead and right and keeping the wasp from getting in behind us.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Facing in rough terrain only costs 1 movement per hex faced right?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Rough terrain costs 1 extra MP to move into, but doesn't affect turning MP in any way.

Awesome! Thanks!

So I think I am going to run to 1710 and shoot at the Wasp.

Mine are in as well

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 7, 2023

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of going to 1704 and trying to shoot the wasp again.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of heading to 2207 and trying to finish the Wasp. The Whitworth not moving definitely limits my options.

Alternate plan: jump to 1204 and threaten the Whitworth.

Question: standing in a forest hex doesn't impose a shooting penalty on yourself correct?

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2023

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

That's correct; you only take a penalty if there's a forest between you and your target.

Ok, so I think I am going to jump to 1204 and try to deal some damage to the Whitworth.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Locked in.

Same!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Well, we've now had our first headshot, first consciousness roll, and first fall. Things are getting interesting...

Exciting!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
So we are in a bit of a tighter spot now. Plans for next turn?

I can get behind the Whitworth easily and put some shots and a kick to its back, but that doesn't really do that much damage.

I can also jump to the wasp and try to kill it with punches. A single punch to the CT will kill it.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
What is the plan for the Wolverine?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Maybe I sit still and shoot the Whitworth? Better to-hits than running behind.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, since you're in heavy woods, that's viable.

Yeah, and if the Whitworth thinks I am worth shooting at, all the better. Orders are in!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Well, that took the heavy hitter off the board. Focus fire the Javelin next turn?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Edit: Also, just as a general note, the fluff wasn't exaggerating about ammunition explosions utterly destroying a unit. Anything that suffers one and isn't protected by CASE is removed from the salvage pool at the end of a given mission. It's an extra thing to consider when you see an enemy unit that looks like it might be a nice acquisition.

Haha sorry anyone that wanted some of the Whitworth

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Probably running to 0909 and taking potshots at the Javelin. Not a ton of great moves this turn for me.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Good shooting team.

I am probably going to walk to 0914 and shoot at the Shadowhawk.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Three mechs in its rear arc is going to be fun.

Locked in on this!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Well, that was not great shooting, but some good physicals at least.

Thoughts on next turn?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I think I might back into 0613 and take shots at the Javelin, though I think my TH is 12. I am unsure how much armor costs for the company to replace, but having a mech come in pristine can't be a bad thing right?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Voting Circlmaster/Yukiko Ishimura/Panther PNT-9R for JUSTICE FOOT through the spine of the Wasp, the kill we can salvage from.

Opfor vote Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for being willing to fight it out to the end even as everyone else was crippled and exploded around him.

I am voting for this as well, though I think the early PPC shot that hit the Wasp in the engine was a big difference maker. It couldn't shoot and build up a good move mod on the same turn because of the +5 heat.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Go for the Shadowhawk!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
This mission will be more of a knife fight than the last one lol. The Locusts need to keep that move mod high, especially since they don't have jump jets. Though 8 walk is pretty fast lol

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
It's kind of hard to pass up jump jets and an AC20 on an assault Mech for this map. Most of the buildings are height 3 as well...

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'll take the Victor.

Edit: Half SRM ammo as well.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 5, 2024

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
We'll definitely have to plan around the Hunchback, but none of us are fast enough to leave it too far behind unless we start bounding over buildings every turn.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of jumping to 1305. I think I have cover from the trees for the PPC and LRM, but the Vedette should have a shot at me with the AC5.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Are we allowed to set fires, or are we not playing with that as I know it can be a pain to track.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm jumping to 1305 and maybe trying to start a fire on the other side of the avenue.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in!

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Updated orders.

Jumping to 1204, shooting at Firestarter.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I don't think I've seen an order so universally panned in one of these threads lol!

I will play it safe and jump to 1305.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Oh, it's what I get for combining posting with a late hour. I am not sure if much else has a shot at the building, but it's not worth it. And I didn't even think about having the building shot out from under me lol.

No need to have the jumpy AC20 blow up on the first turn :)

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Amechwarrior posted:

Should we just conga line along 0804 to 1103 and just obliterate the Bulldog? I don't think anyone else could get shots off.

I think I should move up to 0804 and have the Victor jump to 0904 , let the HBK stand and shoot, then the Wyvern take 1103. This sets up the Victor for jump locations next turn and we keep the Hunchback in the alley so it can't get focused. I think I should take point this time to draw fire, at least from the SRMs. Otherwise we could put the Hunch up front but I think it's got a lot of brawling to do very soon and it will need all the armor it's got.

The Hetzer can't get any good LOS text turn. The enemy Hunchback can track 1308 and face towards the crossroads next turn so we'll not want to be in that space next turn.

Basically what we want to do while in these blocks is stack down a narrow alley for LOS protection and shoot at the one target in front of us and hopefully deal significant damage. We just need to make sure we don't get flanked. We can move forward to the next alley as a line or stay where we are. We just don't want to be stuck in the cross roads if we can avoid it.

Seems like its either this for me, or jumping to 0907 to set up for next turn.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I am up for either idea. I am shooting on 11s though, and will probably only fire the AC20 and a Med Las to keep heat under control.

My thoughts on 0907 are that it limits a lot of movement for the Hunchback and Hetzer. The Hetzer really can't follow the HBK to the middle of the map without exposing its back to me, and the HBK would have to give up that alleyway to protect the Hetzer.

They could all fall back to the militia base I guess, but that will likely limit their movement in future turns.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I like the idea of making the OpFor defend their vehicles here. Make the Firestarter defend the Bulldog, and make the Hunchback defend the Hetzer. Get them on the back foot.

Blackjack and Wyvern walk to 1003 and 1103 respectively and get good shots at the Bulldog.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm still pondering lol, but I am leaning towards jumping to 0907 and plinking the militia buildings.