Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I wish I had been paying attention to the start of this thing because I love mechs. Not necessarily Battletech mechs since my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans. Tactical mech combat? Yes, please.

You're in the middle of a contract so I guess I'll just chill and observe for now. I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but. I'd love to be involved in this later. I assume there is still room for people, or there will be later. I'll figure it out at some point. Good luck lads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I have officially joined the reserve. I look forward to piloting with you guys. Until my time comes I'll probably lurk, ask questions, and comment on how pretty exploding battle mechs look

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As someone who’s first experience with BT was the 2018 computer game, my opinion on light mechs was largely formed from that game’s version of the rules. Which Led me to believe that the runs hot and hits hard breed of light mech (Jenner and Javelin mostly) and the “has one gun well above it’s weight class” breed of light mech (Urbanmech, Panther) we’re pretty good. The rest (Locust, Commando, and Spider) might have been very fast, but their anemic armor and weapons meant one good punch was an instant subsystem loss and they were usually incapable of serious damage.

This is mostly due to the game tying difficulty directly to tonnage, and the way that evasion pips work

So far this match is convincing me that they are much better in the tabletop game.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

in the sense that "evasion doesn't degrade" in tabletop, that helps. Scenario play also helps lights as well, because without infantry on the field machine guns loving Suck and are a huge liability

Also we're just in appropriate weight classes and low tech, it's very hard to make up for the modifiers that fast lights can make up. No Pulse or LBX, or Really Good Pilots, or anything of that sort

The computer game gives you a lot of ways to get around all of the good stuff that light Mechs have. A high gunnery skill gives you a higher base chance to hit, Cover imposes a damage penalty instead of an accuracy penalty. Evasion pips degrade so every attack against a single enemy has a higher and higher chance to hit. If you become unbalanced you instantly lose all of your evasion, and melee attacks ignore evasion I think? And you personally have called shot which increases your chance to hit and also lets you direct your fire towards a single body part.

The enemy doesn’t have some of those abilities but they do like to pick on the most lightly armored target so if a light unit gets tapped the entire army will smell blood. Also they just have the random number God on their side not necessarily that they have better luck but they do not care if their light gets obliterated since they get a fresh set each battle. If your mech explodes you’re the one who needs to replace it

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah i haven’t played the base game in several years but I’m in a bta3062 play through and that changes the base assumptions of the game

I should probably play one of the mods to be honest. It's been a while since I've played it too.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Like I said earlier my experience comes from the Computer game so my tactical acumen is more tuned to that than the tabletop, but I'll try and get in the spirit of things anyway

From what I can tell neither side has taken any really big hits yet. I mean, aside from the infantry who obviously almost got obliterated in a single volley, and the Cicada who's lost their rear armor and taken a hit to the Gyro. But since we're playing with Light Mechs that could obviously change very quickly. A concentrated volley could smash off a limb very, very easily

The Cicada is in kind of a sniping position so that's not ideal, but the rest of them are in the thick of it

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 23, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Peppy Star Fox 64 Voice: "Try Hovering!"

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Melee is weird because it's not a very good option most of the time I imagine? Since you're at risk of stumbling and falling, and it doesn't deal all that much damage compared to the guns you have (On a well-armed mech at least)

But at the same time sometimes you just have to squeeze that extra damage out, or your guns are gone so it's what you have left. Or your mech is actually built for melee combat and has an excellent punch at melee range. I've played the 2018 Battletech game, I remember the Hatchetman in all its weird melee glory

That game is also funny because all mechs can melee regardless of damage taken, which produces fun images of a mech with no arms and a broken leg briefly standing on their broken leg to kick with their good one. Or a Locust bodyslamming an enemy much larger than them

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
By the way since we've been talking about Battletech so much I have had a renewed interest in the franchise and I downloaded BattleTech Advanced 3062 for the 2018 computer game. This is entirely your fault and I blame all of you for it. On the bright side, it should all be good fun.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I realize I'm still in the reserve right now so I'm not sure if I have too much sway but. The Stinger is small enough potatoes that I don't think we should bother with it. If we ask for their surrender the Galleon and Infantry will probably give up and the Stinger escapes. I guess we don't really have anything to lose by trying to take out the Stinger but. Why bother? It moves fast, hits like a wet noodle, and is pretty cheap for a battle mech. If we let it go we can presumably end the fight right now. If we don't let it go we'll have to wait a week or so as our boys chase it down like hunting hounds chasing a fox

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Stripping the vehicles of their weapons would be nice but, it's probably better to save our salvage for now. I don't think 1.5% of our salvage is worth getting our hands on an AC 5 with no ammo and a couple of lasers. And selling them is a terrible idea since they are collectively worth less than 100,000 C bills

Let's save it and hope we get something good next round. Even if there's nothing we want to take for ourselves hopefully we'll have something better to sell than cheap combat vehicles

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I mean. The stock Leopard, which we have already made fun of for being small and wimpy for the given role of "Mech Transport" is armed with 2 PPCs, 3 LRM 20s, 7 Medium Lasers, and 5 Large Lasers

That is on the low end of what Drop Ships can be armed with, especially considering the Leopard is a little more than half the tonnage of the Union.

I kind of like capping off a mission of MW5 by just leading the enemy to my Leopard and letting it rip them to shreds with missiles.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
The good news is that I'm in a fire support mech so ideally I won't be in the thick of it. I might be able to hang back and pepper the targets that you guys call out to me. Keep the medium lasers on standby for a closer range battle. Although I notice we're running with heavier mechs this time so evasion will be less important, though still important. It's funny to me how somehow I have the fastest mech when mine is a missile boat.

The bad news is that we are dealing with an enemy with quite a bit of punch behind them and as mentioned above the position doesn't look amazing. But we'll make it work. We're quite tough ourselves afer all

Also, I'll just repeat what everyone else has been saying I really love the flavor you've got set up here. It's great

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 12, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

It's still important to get move modifiers when you can, though you can tank a couple hits in a way a light mech really can't; but we don't know what the opfor has beside that DropShip

True. The Trebuchet is the fastest as I mentioned so it actually wouldn't be too hard for me to get 2-3 evasion per turn if I keep moving. Which is good because my armor is also the thinnest.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Not yet. Funnily enough though, marriage and pregnancy mechanics are included in MekHQ, and characters can be listed as dependents.

... Why? I mean, I can sorta guess it's for like, generational stuff and roleplay but. It seems like a strange thing to include.

I hope none of our squadmates end up biting the big one after staring longingly at a picture of their children, or we have to run a mission a man down because the mechwarrior is on maternity leave

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As someone who played the 2018 video game. I ran it because it was the one they stuck you with as a starter and I expected it to be a decent, well-rounded starting mech.

It was not. It was a low-damage, dedicated fire support mech with mediocre movement speed and defenses. Meaning that it didn't perform very well most of the time. Of course, the star of the show with your starting lineup will always be the Spider for me. In my first game, poor Dekker only survived his first combat because I managed to run him outside of the area of engagement once he lost both arms and one of his torsos

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I think if I just run forward I'll end up one tile outside of the dropship's range. But I'm trying to consider where I go from there. The stinger and two Galeons are within my range but I'm not sure if it's worth spending my LMR ammo early to try and take them out from long range. Especially since I'd have to either let them approach or force my way through the woods while being shot at.

The rest of the enemy is just outside of my range until they move forward, and I'm not confident in my chances to hit at long range. I'd like to conserve ammo.

Also, this might sound stupid, but what do you guys think about drawing fire from the dropship while stacking as many evasion buffs as we can? It has a small but existent chance of its weapons dropping every time it fires. If someone were to run or jump into some woods at the LMR long-range bracket it might only be able to hit on an 11+ and waste time and ammo shooting while risking its weapons going offline. The alternative is that if we got into knife fight range it would only have the lasers but that requires us to charge through everything in the way in order to bait out its lasers.

Like I said it sounds stupid, even to me. But it would be really funny if it wasted a bunch of missiles on someone they have a 7% chance to hit, and then one of the weapon bays shuts down

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I have a question. Would it be worth it for me to try and reach the higher ground to our left? I can get up there if I run, but will it matter when there are all the woods right below it? I don't know if elevation is a good bonus or not in the tabletop game

If not I think I'm just gonna walk 5 tiles forward and call it a day. I'd like it if they left the death chamber created by the dropship before we fought them

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I probably should have claimed my tile as well I'm going to be one above you in 2206. I won't be firing this turn since I have limited ammo on my ranged weapons. I am under the assumption that the 16 shots I have are calculated for individual launches. So if I fire both of them I'll only have 8 shots. If I'm correct, I feel justified in my decision to hold back the fire

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

Yeah save your LRMs for now. These are just potshots at targets of opportunity.

That's kind of the difference between energy and ammo weapons. These shots are basically free for you. If I fired off all my missiles right now, I'd be throwing away 30 rounds of ammunition on a long shot

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

SIGSEGV posted:

MGs only consume one ammo unit per shot but missile weapons shoot their rating in ammo, a LRM 20 will launch 20 LRMs, this is because you can mix and match all sizes of LRM launchers and they pull from the same ammo pool, while there's only one size of MG ammo launcher (*)(**)(***)(****).

That seems like the kind of thing that would get really confusing if your mech had different size LRMs on it. But anyway yeah, I have 16 volleys and can fire 2 in one turn. I could technically spend it all in 8 turns if I was a trigger-happy idiot.

I'm going to try to conserve my ammo until the enemy is in medium range at least. I know that might be a waste of my long-range capabilities but, if I'm shooting at a target while I already have a huge penalty I'm just wasting ammo

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I already feel like an absolute goober for turning in the opposite direction of everyone else. I had an idea involving the high ground one turn and dashing into the woods the next, but I forgot that the light squad would probably be moving fast and therefore stacking evasion pretty hard.

I could either continue my dumbass plan by climbing the hill and shooting at the little guys with a highly inaccurate LRM volley, dash into the woods with intent to laser the hell out of them next turn, or say “no” and turn around to join the skirmish with a slightly more accurate set of LRM volleys

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
If no one has any advice for me I think what I'm going to do is just, back up 3 spaces, turn, and then walk right behind where the Hunchback is now, tile 2308 I think. From there I... can't really tell whether I have a line of sight or not? But the only ones that seem worth firing on would be the scorpions. The Mech and the Tank.

I could also Run, but I think the best I could do then is get in the Hunchback's spot. And once again, trying to conserve LRMs for later

Oh also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the melee rules? Not everything but just a little crash course? I’m not sure if it will be necessary but as the quickest mech in the lance it might fall to me to chase down and kick/punch the stinger if it gets uppity

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 19, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Moving to Hex 2306, facing 2307

I'm just going to use myself as a threat zone for now. If these guys keep moving up recklessly they'll head directly into my range. If they hang back that's fine too, I'll push a little bit if I have to. Preferably while the Dropship is readying another shot. To be honest I'm more nervous not opening fire than I would be if I was currently in the thick of it

I don't think I'll be doing much melee considering all my weapons are arm mounted and they deal about the same damage. Especially if evasion works the same for Melee and Ranged attacks. But as the fastest mech on our team I volunteer to try to kick the Stinger or Firestarter if they get too annoying with their evasion

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 20, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gnoman posted:

Kicks, on the other hand? Kicks can attack at range 0. Meaning that if you share a hex with a vehicle, it can't shoot you but you can kick it to your heart's content.

I am now imagining a mech just, stomping up and down on a tank. Over and over again

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

aniviron posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Locust stamping on a Demolisher - forever.

Captain Foo posted:

Locust trying to stomp a demolisher to death lol

Either you guys are sharing a brain cell or this is a meme that already exists

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
This might be a bit risky but I see a chance to get a shot on a 7+ so I'm going to take it. If I back up through the forest to Hex 2505 I can get that enemy Trebuche at Short range with my LRMs (but outside of their minimum range) I think it's 4 Gunnery + 2 Evasion, +1 difficulty for moving. But I doubt I'm going to get a better shot than this. At least for now.

If all goes well I might be able to shred the enemy Trebuche's armor, maybe break a weapon or something.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gwaihir posted:

I would actually just sit still. You're not generating a movement mod from that movement, and you're hitting that treb on 6es (4 base + 2 enemy movement) with the LRMs while it needs a 10+ (4 base + 2 ran + 4 long range) to hit back at you.

That's fair. I wasn't sure if sitting still counted as them being 7 tiles away. I wasn't 100% sure how to count that out. I guess I'm just going to unload a missile barrage at my twin and see what happens.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
By the way, don't forget about the Dropship's guns. I think everyone is still out of range of most of them, but if anyone on the frontline gets any closer they will be in their range. And I think the Blackjack and Hunchback are in the range of their LRMs. It might be worth backing into the forest just so you don't get torn up by 40 missiles headed your way.

Not saying that to make you afraid or anything just, keep it in mind

I'm safely out of range though so I'm staying put in 2306 and firing both LRMs at my "Brother"

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 21, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer

I'm backing up to 2406 to join our Trebuchet in giving the enemy Treb the patented Sterling and Sable Hello. Fingers crossed I can open some holes for those LRMs to find.

Friendly Trebuchet here. We're launching approximately 50 points of damage at the enemy Treb. (I assume you're using your PPCs and nothing else. For Heat and Range reasons) So best case scenario we completely destroy at least one piece of their body. We still have to roll the dice obviously, it is entirely possible that we hammer its armor but don't actually destroy anything. But I'm thinking it's pretty likely we take out something

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As an anime fan, I'm not 100% opposed to LAMs as a concept, but I do think that Battletech sits pretty far on the "Hard" side of the Sci-Fi scale. I mean, making walking mechs at all is a bit of a stretch but the series as a whole deals with stuff like weight, heat, the difficulty of manufacturing, and so on. Mechs are expensive and often develop little glitches and foibles unless they're factory fresh. Sometimes mechs will develop in strange ways or be designed in ways that look good on paper but fail in the field

When looking at it through that lens... yeah LAMs don't feel like they have a place in Battletech. They push the boundary just a little bit too far in the other direction.

On the other hand I once fought an Urbie LAM in the Battletech 3062 mod for HB Battletech and that was pretty rad. Aside from the part where I couldn't melee it with my Hatchetman

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
[b] Trebuchet [\b] (for some reason this doesn’t work on the mobile browser. Will fix when I get home)

I can get to the woods the Blackjack is currently occupying, 2006 I think. I haven’t run the math yet but from there my only options are the stinger, firestarter, and the enemy Treb (if I turn and torso twist to face them) and they’re all too close for me to use my LRMs. I could probably hurt the Stinger enough to break something but I doubt it would kill it. And I’m not too keen on firing multiple lasers while in range of a firestarter. Not sure what else to do though since I think the firestarter is untouchable for me (4 base, 2 from running, 3 enemy evasion, and either 1 or 2 woods.)

Defensively I could also retreat further to get out of range of most enemies but I don’t want to do that and leave you guys to fight.

How much heat damage do flamers do in this game?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

biosterous posted:

3 heat + 3 damage, thanks to the optional rule Scintilla's using

Trebuchet

Okay… so that’s a current max of 9 heat right now. I would be safe from heat penalties if I only fire one laser, if I wanted to be spicy I could fire two and hope one of the flamers miss. It’s kinda rough only having the base 10 heat sinks. I basically have 2 plans of attack (and a meme optionright now

1. Circle around the enemy’s back and apply pressure. I can run to 2708 turn directly north and fire all three lasers into the enemy Treb’s backside. 8+ isn’t great odds, but it only takes one to shred it’s rear torso armor. More importantly if it wants to retaliate it will have to back straight up or turn around, sharply cutting it’s evasion. Or it can ignore me and run forward. The two Galeons will get a 10+ shot on me with their M lasers but I don’t think I am in danger from anywhere else.

2. I could run into the spot the Blackjack is currently occupying. I don’t think I have any hope of hitting the fire starter but I could try and mess up the stinger some more. But since it’s leg is already busted I’m not sure if the stinger will be a problem . The fire starter is also very bad for me because I only have 10 heatsinks.

3. The meme option I get behind the trebuchet or in front of the fire starter and try to sweep the leg. If I gently caress this up I might fall directly on my rear end

How do we feel lads?

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 25, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I’m an idiot, I plotted my course as if I needed to go around the warhammer, when I don’t need to at all. That gives me more options for flanking the enemy Treb.

Question, how does like of sight work when it comes to shooting around your allies? If the warhammer gets right into the Treb’s back slot will I be able to hit them there? Or should I try a different angle. If I sprint I can fit pretty flexibly in the area behind the Treb, I just want to be sure before I commit

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

In that case I think I’m gonna go to 2807, turn north, torso twist if I have to, and then fire all my lasers at the enemy Treb. (Still on mobile I can’t bold my orders)

Between me and the Warhammer we might be able to break something

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
We are like a group of sharks that smell blood in the water. We sensed the Trebuchet’s weakness and immediately swarmed it.

It would be kind of beautiful if we just speared it from 4 different angles at once.

Edit: also it would be hilarious overkill. But it would be really funny if we fired the AC 20 at the Stinger

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 25, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Space Kablooey posted:

He's also pretty 'armless now :v:

I will say, cutting off a fourth of the Firestarter's flame damage is pretty great because without it the Firestarter could deal enough heat damage to completely kneecap me in particular since I only have 10 heatsinks. Not that it's having much luck actually hitting us with those things. A max range of 3 is really rough.

Hitting it in the arm is still the worst thing that could have happened. Blowing a torso or a leg off would have been way better

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Maybe I'm just spoiled by the computer game but I feel like RNG has been kicking us in the pants here. We just unloaded a storm of weapon fire on the Treb and it got away mostly intact.

I think the best I could get against the enemy Treb with my lasers is an 8 (4 base, 2 sprint mod, 2 evasion) plus whatever evasion it has being in one tile of light woods. I could do the same with my LRMs but that would be a bit riskier since I'd have less evasion.

Don't forget that Eagle Standard is set to fire again next turn, so we should try and either head north or get in cover.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

If it's any consolation a stiff breeze will blow both of its arms off, which will deprive it of 90% of its weaponry.

That's fair. Although sadly the inferno missiles are the ones that it has safely tucked away in a torso slot. If I end up firing the LRMs I expect I'll knock one of those off

Gwaihir posted:

I think you should actually stand still and shoot the treb with LRMs. You'll have 7 to hit: 4 base+2 enemy movement +1 light woods. You're a hex or so out of range of the drop ship, and the galleons are too lightly armed to truly be a worry.

I'm not going to have any good options for shots with the hunch this turn I think. Tentatively planning running north to 2607 and continuing to shoot lasers at the tanks.

The thing that worries me is if an M laser and S laser both hit me in the same spot in the back, I'll be in a lot of trouble. That's not super likely, but the possibility on its own scares me. On the other hand, tossing 30 missiles at a problem sounds like a good idea.

I kind of want to run and conserve ammo and armor since we have an entirely different lance to fight after this. On the other hand, "Guns off the Board" is the official tactical advice handed out by a lot of experienced players

Edit: Hang on I just realized. I can torso twist without changing which part of my body the enemy is shooting at right? I might not be getting shot in the back after all

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

biosterous posted:

it would be nice of those two tanks just kept going in the same direction and left the board :v:

Hey for what it's worth, I think they'll be pretty vulnerable next turn since they'll have to turn around or slow down.