Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

C3 We should honor our elders and clan as is traditional and they will protect us in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C3.

Let's be sturdy. Need to stay whole long enough to use brain to honor elders.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A2

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Tias, for he Geared Up question, do you accept write-ins? also, are these things we recieved during the initation-heroquest or as gifts from family?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

also, as god-talker, should we not still have the option for sorcery? it's socially acceptable for lankhor mhy!

EDIT: Also, can we see our runequest sheet, since that seems to be what's happening here?

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 24, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Magnusth posted:

Tias, for he Geared Up question, do you accept write-ins? also, are these things we recieved during the initation-heroquest or as gifts from family?

"yes". It may be acquired from the god-time, but more likely given from family or clan elders upon initiation.

Suggestions, sure, but it has to fall within the vote people make.

Magnusth posted:

also, as god-talker, should we not still have the option for sorcery? it's socially acceptable for lankhor mhy!

EDIT: Also, can we see our runequest sheet, since that seems to be what's happening here?

As an Ernaldan, our character is currently dissuaded from sorcery (you cannot ever advance or enter ernaldan cults if you learn sorcery). I'm working on entering the sheet in the first post.

Quick resume: Brilliant, competent fighter, very strong reader and astrologist.

Tias fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 24, 2023

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Looks like a good candidate for a clandestine power behind the face of a conspiracy to off The Bat.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Tias posted:

"yes". It may be acquired from the god-time, but more likely given from family or clan elders upon initiation.

Suggestions, sure, but it has to fall within the vote people make.

As an Ernaldan, our character is currently dissuaded from sorcery (you cannot ever advance or enter ernaldan cults if you learn sorcery). I'm working on entering the sheet in the first post.

Quick resume: Brilliant, competent fighter, very strong reader and astrologist.

We have weak earth rune, no fertility or harmony, and Lhankhor Mhy spirit magic sucks. We don't need to be initiated into Ernalda's cults to be Nandan. Socially approved sorcery access is the best part of being Lhankhoring, so:

C
5: We brought back a secret from Lhankor Mhy, a glimse of the Alien Combination Machine, which taught us Mastery of a Sorcerous Technique.

EDIT: To make sure i've understood this right, i'm assuming our cult is Lhankor Mhy, and we're just lay members of the nandan cults? (the way women are for ernalda, men for orlanth etc). We didn't lock into being full initiates with rune magic when we chose gender, did we?

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 25, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Correct, initiated Lhankor Mhy, lay member of Nandan. No sorcery at present. I opted for the God-Talkers package that gave Rune Magic instead, the conflict between cults and our potential for sorcery will be addressed in-game instead.

Vote closed (90 minutes ago)! Update monday at latest.

Also, we now have a thread discord, thanks magnusth for hooking us up! : https://discord.com/channels/366669303530913803/1079001085710192660

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 25, 2023

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Fair enough. Will we have an option to vote for sorcery later then? It seems very odd to me to be a godtalker of lhankor mhy and not opt in for the cool secret lhankor mhy magic.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Returning home 2: A Stroll Down the Lane

You finish absent-mindedly fingering your prize: A rock-ward of clan Bayberry. Once, when the Arnoring faced down great danger, it is said that the Devil itself struck the Woadstone. The great painted stone chipped but did not break, for your Wyter (the great patron spirit of your clan) was much more powerful in that time, and the stone chips were carefully collected and stored once the mortal danger was over.

You’ve personally always had your doubts about the tale, since the Great Darkness when the Devil roamed free, was way before the dawn of recorded history in the Gray Ages. How then could the Woadstone have turned away the Devil, since the stone itself was only brought in when the Arnoring clan was founded in the mid-1500s?

At any rate, the stone chip has properties that make it store magic easily, and serves as the host for a powerful Shield spell. Known as a Protection Magick, Type 4, in the Jonstown library, this spell has helped you often enough, encasing your entire body in a rock-hard but entirely weightless casing of magical force.

The true welcome

Nothing truly says ‘Welcome Home’ in Arnoring lands, like the thick, rolling thickets of bayberry vines. Just seeing them warms your heart in the brisk Sea Season weather.

As the painted palisade surrounding the Woadstone becomes visible in the far distance, the carved fence protecting the village marks out the start of the lane. Yaeras idiot youngest son doesn’t recognize you, but when you declare your family the thane in charge cuffs him on the head and opens the gate with a barked order.

Your arrival is met with quite some commotion, and a gaggle of happy clansfolk usher you into the Horse and Hop, the older of the Lanes public houses. Some folks who sit making rope from the fermented inner bark of what folks call the “lime tree” clear out, and word is sent to the Lane notables. Soon, thanes, cottars and even a member of the clan ring sits in your presence, listening to your tales!

You carefully give out jewelry, drinking vessels and precious rings from your Esrolian campaign to the thanes and Haestbran, elder of the clan ring, as is custom.. When Orvar Odd-Eye bursts in! Trailing stinking feathers and the more pleasant odor of incense from his unkempt mane, he squats next to you, nearly rubbing his warts on you.

“Warm regards, she-owl! If you’re gifting, I’d be happy to take one of those cups off you.” He stinks up the place for some time more, and, cup in hand, says he owes you. Haestbran asks you to stay and talk to the ring, and that he will assemble it for you tomorrow because you acted correctly with your acquired wealth. You thank lord Mhy that following ancient custom helped both you and your clan.

You check your saddle bags, and recognize that your wealth has dwindled to your personal armour and weapons*, your magic Shield talisman, and silver coins and some treasure. Ah, nevertheless, you’re a grown Nandan and will get more treasure and glory! You drink in the adoring company for an hour or so, take some bjorr made of long-fermented berries, and look around you, deciding eventually to..

A) Walk into the Lane, find more cottars and chug the Eight Known Drinks, or as many of them as you can find! You’re young, accomplished and deserve to let your beard out for a change.

B) Follow Orvar Odd-Eye. Shamans are universally trouble, but also know things others cannot, and you feel like this is worth pursuing, even if it bears no fruit.

C) Stay with Haestbran. On the ring as a representative of Issaries, he is a well-traveled, cosmopolitan man, and one you might do well to flirt a bit with.

D) Visit our family directly, stuff these stickpickers and see the folks who matter.

*a fine bronze carapace with helmet, vambraces and greaves, a reinforced wicker shield and your preferred killing weapon: an Esrolian military pick-axe! Also, you still keep your well-worn Arnoring clan kit: javelins, one-handed Orlanthi spear, daggers and a hatchet.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 27, 2023

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

C

Get our flirt on.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A chug chug chug chug

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

B

Shamans are trouble, but they are fun trouble (and he might be about to give us a spell matrix or something)
Also:

Tias posted:

At any rate, the stone chip has properties that make it store magic easily, and serves as the host for a powerful Shield spell. Known as a Protection Magick, Type 4, in the Jonstown library, this spell has helped you often enough, encasing your entire body in a rock-hard but entirely weightless casing of magical force.

The Shield Spell! We love it. For the uninitiated, Shield is a Rune Spell - the most straightforwardly powerful kind of magic available, even if we learn sorcery. Usually, you'd need to be in a warrior cult to get this, like orlanth. If it's the weakest it can possibly be, this is equivalent to heavy leather armor, and if it's even one point stronger, it's equivalent to ring or light scale mail, and the sky's the limit from there. (3 points shield is equivalent to a full set of bronze plate). Should stack with our armor, too. If this works like most Rune Spell storage items, it's going to need recharging at a temple after use, though. Probably at clan ceremonies, since it's related to our Wyter.

Tias, Question: What's a bronze carapace? I'm not used to seeing the word for armor - is it solid bronze plate, or scale mail or something else?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

If vambraces and greaves are specific to the set, it seems most likely to be pseudo-hoplite gear, possibly with pauldrons.

We're basically set up like Nerd Achilles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pretty much every Orlanthi god gives some fighting magic, it's part of why they had things their way for a long time (before they ran headfirst into the lunar long range fires wall.)

We are a noble with equipment for fighting in the front rank.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Pretty much every Orlanthi god gives some fighting magic, it's part of why they had things their way for a long time (before they ran headfirst into the lunar long range fires wall.)

I'm not actually sure this is really... true? While the thunder brothers, the major male gods, are definitely often war and battle gods (Orlanth, Urox, Vinga, etc) and they have powerful non-storm battle gods (Humakt, Elmal), the orlanthi noticably also have a *strong* tradition of diplomacy and peaceful solutions and the earth gods tend not to be war gods. I'm pretty sure that alltogether, more gods don't give significant fighting magic than do. Ernalda, Issaries, Eurmal, lhankor mhy, chalana arroy, uralda, asrelia etc. and those cults are all big, important cults with many worshippers, especially compared to the cults of yinkin and the like. Lhankhor mhy has zilch combat magic, for example. Even some of the thunder brothers have pretty weak combat magic - the best Yinkin gets is "claws," which pales next to e.g. shield or lighting.
Now, some of these cults do provide some combat magic, but from other gods. Like Ernalda gets some from her protector, yinkin gets shield from orlanth. Others provide combat-training and spirit magic, but even that's usually stretching definitions a little. (the issaries cult teaches detect enemies and countermagic for example). Generally, if you want good combat magic as an orlanthi, you worship Orlanth, Humakt, or Elmal. Of course, being initiated into both the cult of orlanth and another lightbringer is pretty common, so plenty of orlanthi people get combat magic from their god.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

C

If I recall correctly, Issaries and Lhankor Mhy are natural partners in learning; Issaries with cosmopolitan breadth of knowledge and Lhankor Mhy unparalleled depth. A cosmopolitan fellow like Haestbran could help fill out gaps in our knowledge, and of course some flirting couldn't hurt either.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
All those options are neat, but I'm going with D: Visit our mothers stead and catch up on the family

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A. Live a little, we gotta drink them all.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Tias posted:

Protection Magick, Type 4

Lhankor Mhyings are such nerds. Did Lhankor Mhy learn sorcery from a dwarf?

We've just come back from a big adventure, let's get drunk! A

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BGotta be buddy buddy with the magic hobo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Voting closes wednesday 8.00 CET

Chatrapati posted:

Lhankor Mhyings are such nerds. Did Lhankor Mhy learn sorcery from a dwarf?

We've just come back from a big adventure, let's get drunk! A

Perhaps it was a God Learner text :getin:

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

B Follow the magic hobo. Trouble is what we are here for and we need to collect on that debt he owes us now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Added Orlendas sheet at the top of the OP!

Magnusth posted:

Tias, Question: What's a bronze carapace? I'm not used to seeing the word for armor - is it solid bronze plate, or scale mail or something else?

Our social class (elite magic-user) affords us a heavy bronze scale hauberk. However, fighting in the third line of the siege of Nochet for years (taking an apprenticeship far from the temple lands that support us) has us using a hand-me-down hauberk from a slain tribal captain with patched bronze plate. Same protection level, but we think it looks tawdry and would like a fancier one at some point.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 27, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Voting closed, following Orvar wins! Update sometime in the next two days

Tias
May 25, 2008

Follow Orvar Odd-Eye!

After the customary toasts and boasts, you quickly make your escape from the Horse and Hop, cup of mead in your hand. You make sure Geolmarth, your trusty pony, is still stabled and fed. Certain it is so, you jog down the winding road towards Orvars cottage. You stop upon hearing his voice, see him make pleasant( if slightly inappropriate) conversation with Haestbrans temple wife, and then shadow him into the bayberry thickets as he makes for home.

Remembering the custom for associating with spirits, you sacrifice your cup of mead at the gate to his house, so that any of his, no doubt powerful, tutelary spirits, decide to mess with you. You catch the door as he enters, clearing your throat loudly to announce yourself. He grunts as if acknowledging you, but doesn’t turn, opening a draw chest and depositing your gifted vessel in it, unmindful of the massive rear end crack he displays doing so.

As he frets with the chest, you take in the shaman hut. It looks like most Orlanthi cottages, with tight beamwork and thatched roof gables, on to which are built “lyre-holes” letting out excess fireplace smoke. It really needs the touch of a woman or nandan, though. Fat bundles of herbs and various bones and animal body parts are strewn around, and the lack of cleanliness could well invite disease spirits. On the other hand, perhaps Orvar is a cunning enough spirit-talker that this isn’t as likely to bother him.

“Seen the dragon, ‘ave you?” he says, a thick accent (Malani, maybe?), taking you aback. You confirm that you have seen the brown dragon from afar, destroying half the occupying lunar army and nobility in Dragon Pass. “The Starbrow did that.” He cackles. “She and her little friends heroquested, to the time of dragonfriends, and brought a true wyrm back. Raven only knows how she did it, but even now she’s walking on Boldhome to declare herself king.”

He cackles a bit, then adds “This is my favor discharged. If I tell you what I’ve divined about Kallyrs destiny as king, it will cost you a lot more, fair nandan.”

You pause again. Kallyr Starbrow is a powerful figure, whose star is high because she’s led several rebellions against the lunar empire already. Failed rebellions, yes, but she’s the closest Sartar has had to a true unifying figure in a long time. This information is extremely potent, and your ears itch to hear it. Scrambling to bargain, you..

A) Offer him the rest of your wealth. You can always get more, and the amount of silver and gifts you have could buy a couple of fine horses for the man.

B) Offer him POWer. The stuff of your soul is desired by all spirit-men, who can use it to feed their tutelary spirits or spells.

C) Manifest the Truespeak spell, making Lhankor Mhy ride you and force him to tell it to you. (Will add the Truespeak Rune Spell to our repertoire, taking up space from other spells.)

D) Try to seduce or con him into giving up the information.

E) Decide against learning it now. Not only may others have divined the same thing, but you need a better position to bargain honorably from.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
D He might be an accomplished shaman, but he also seems a bit like a lonely fool.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Truespeak time

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E we have better places we can go for this

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

A
This might be very valuable to our temple, and we want those good graces.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

E

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

E, but specifically try to recall any myths where Lhankor Mhy turns the tables on Eurmal . It's a long shot and we probably don't have what it takes to pull it off even if there is precedent, but it's probably worth investigating.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Abyssal Squid posted:

E, but specifically try to recall any myths where Lhankor Mhy turns the tables on Eurmal . It's a long shot and we probably don't have what it takes to pull it off even if there is precedent, but it's probably worth investigating.

I'm pretty sure this is a shaman, not a trickster?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
E

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

E Honor is one of our highest passions. If we need to fall back and find a better position to honorably bargain from, that's our choice.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I mean, there are definitely answers here that are less honorable (conniving, possibly truespeaking him), and some that are more (giving POW or wealth), but there's no guarentee that an honorable proposal will be accepted.

I forgot to put a deadline, so I'll bump voting close till tomorrow, 08.00 tuesday morning (CET).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Voting closed, E wins! Update whenever I get around to it this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

We out

“Respects, Orvar” You conclude, “but I have nothing worth that information in an honorable trade, and you won’t give it for free.”

“That I won’t” he grunts. “But it’ll be cheaper with me than a priest.”

You kindly shut him down, and get on your way. Sleeping in the public house, you get most of a nights fitful sleep.

Enter the Ring

You’re woken by a servant of Haestbrans, who says you are expected by the Woadstone. You quickly appropriate some mutton and a beet to chew on, before switching into your good outfit: Block-weaved hems of serpentine designs honouring the Nandan tribe lining a dress of good flax linen, linen blouse with numerous conspicuous Truth runes in golden leaf filigree, and lots of bling: Bangles, runic charms and hooped earrings in the Esrolian fashion. You don’t do it to look hot (though you do!), but to command the full width of your class. Seeing the Ring is important business, and you have to look as powerful and rich as an ascending God-Talker is supposed to.

Entering Owl Clearing, where the wyter lives, you draw a deep breath. This is crunch time. When you arrive, the entire ring is present around the Woadstone, a massive chunk of slatelike rock that is covered in sigils and propitiary gifts for the powerful spirit within. The air is laden with a sharp taste, and you know this is a holy place, rich in magic.

Jarang Swordwielder is still chief, though he’s grown a little, and more lines crease his face. You know him as a fair chief and good warleader, though his insecurity sometimes makes his decisions rash.

Around him is his wife, Mernala Strongvoice, the Earth Goddess of the ring, as well as Minast Cat-Nose (the leader of hunters), Haestbran the trader from yesterday, Arsulva Richesbringer (representing Eiritha-Uralda, your goddess of cows and herd beasts), Sensyn Strong-Arm of the Vingan cult and leader of the fyrd. Where Essalda Crowsmind, the Lankhorite representative of the ring stands.. you find Orvar Odd-Eye!

Holding down a bit of bile, you curtsy for the ring, account customarily for your travels and what you have brought back to the clan, and look to Jarang to speak.

“We are glad of your return Orlenda, Daughter of Farstaval.” he eventually says. “While we know of the White Bull and his march on Pavis, we cannot say we are glad for the disorder he brings.”

“Some might say the Lunar empire brought the disorder. Perhaps he will end it.” you counter.

“Perhaps he will. For now our business is within our tribe and kingdom. Kallyr has struck a blow for liberation which I doubt the empire shall recover from soon, but what will she do? Become king of kings? And will the tribes follow her? These are all questions that want answers.” The other ring members nod, for his words are good.

“Orvar,” you quip, “you sit on a high branch for a young bird. Where is Essalda?”

Orvar gives a poo poo eating grin. “Why, she was removed to make place for me! In times of unrest, a free bird is better than an old law rememberer.”

Your heart sinks a bit. It makes sense for the clan to elevate him for the reasons he’s given, but a shaman cannot keep the lore alive, and for one of your faith, the lore is how Sartar can be saved.

“I will be of use to the clan however I can, but then I must go to Jonstown.” you say, honoring custom but also being true to your intent.

“If you will, we have work for you. A group of wolves have killed our herds, and the divinings are unclear, but our hunters haven’t found the culprits yet. It is bound to be something more powerful than a normal wolfpack or securing the herds would be enough. However.. Orvar has said he can do it by himself.

If you will not, we shall see you safely to Jonstown.”

Your answer is decisive. You..

A) ..Help find what is stirring up the wolves, with or without Orvar. Your clan needs to know they can rely on you right away, or they might eventually forget your face.

B) ..Go to Jonstown. There is no rule saying you should place your clan above your tribe, and especially not above your cult. There will be other opportunities to rekindle your alliance with your clan, whom you have already given gifts.