Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B

At least two air runes in our team, so we have good movement. We should be able to catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

B

The way to attack is at a gallop. Or a run, whatever.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B Run them down.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

B

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

B

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
B wins. Update tomorrow or wednesday probbly.

Tias
May 25, 2008

(haven't forgotten this, just got a job and getting into the swing of things has been pulling some teeth. I hope to have an update up one of the coming days)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
A Runequest CYOA you say? Well I'm glad I checked the CYOA thread while procrastinating because I LOVE Runequest.

Oh it's been a month since OP posted. Dang it.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 30, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

I haven't given up, but work and private life has been a kick in the teeth lately. I'll address it soon, and hopefully in a way where I'll keep updating.

Tias
May 25, 2008

In the thick of it

With a yelled battle-cry, you chop the air towards them with your spear, and your fellows, all familiar with battle-gestures, join the charge.

Being familiar with the thorny vines, you try to follow broad and clear lanes in pursuing the beast-folk, but the thicket quickly closes on you. You hear the grunts of your friends realizing the same thing, but don’t have time to process any longer before your quarry strikes!

Having paused and turned on you, a very short person with the head of a large, frothing mustelid bursts from the thicket! Rows of razor sharp teeth alight on your wicker shield, tearing a huge chunk from it! A terrified yelp from Ernar suggests that he too is in trouble.

“They’re in the brush, get here!” You yell, trying to keep your closed-in foe at bay. Your spear thrust comes to naught, as the badger man easily dodges it. Brodaral is nowhere to be seen, but Arestra comes up on your side, kicking him in the side. This only seems to make the hsunchen madder, ripping her sword from her grasp and hurling it into the thorn-filled undergrowth.

You’re losing your advantage! This happened all the time in the fierce battles you fought through the walls of Nochet, but the counter-move wasn’t always the same. This time you think you ought to..

A) Double down. Inspiring Arestra with an exhortation to fight even bloodier, you charge in with your spear.

B) Re-maneuver. It sounds better than a retreat, and pulling Arestra to safety might also get you eyes on Broderal and Ernar and their situation.

C) Try to overpower the Hsunchens magic with your own. You can taste the animalistic spell it is using to fight you, and you feel confident you can dismiss it.

D) Something else?

(We're rolling again! I can't promise any frequency on updates, but hopefully more regular than they've been!)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
MagiC

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Correct

Tias
May 25, 2008

IMPORTANT RUNE MAGIC PSA:

As several voters have correctly surmised, Rune Spells (in this case, Dismiss Magic) are super powerful, and are almost always the best way to solve a problem that Orlenda faces.

However, it consumes Rune Points, of which we now have 2, and would 1 if we cast Dismiss Magic. They don't come back on their own, and can only be replenished on Cultic holy days. For Lankhor Mhy, this means next regional holy day is this season, Gods day of Truth Week, a while out.

This doesn't mean it's a bad choice (we might be in deep poo poo), I just feel like I'd be doing posters who weren't aware a disservice if I didn't let you know these spells are finite.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

C
Rune magic tallyho!

Actually: D invoke the Shield spell from magical treasure.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 6, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Counterspell.

Tap two, bloo bloo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

When in doubt, rune it

There is no way around calling on the full scope of your abilities to save yourself and your kinsmen. Your back strengthens, your limbs grow longer, and your skin swells with runes of harmony and knowledge, as you assume the aspect of the Knowing God.

“Man-rune, usurp the mantle of Beast no longer. I dismiss you!” you roar with hallowed force, and the Hsunchen feral man steps back, his neck and head swelling down and features melting to become that of a human once more.

“Pox on you, man-woman!” he cries in broken Thelayan, and emits a guttural cry. A large badger, sporting several nasty cuts, withdraws to it’s side and they step backwards into a small clearing.

“I give one offer!” he hisses. “We yield, but live. Leave. Do no harm. Or fight will be worse than you can think!”

You don’t doubt the animal-man is angry, but how would he make good on his threats now?

As your friends start to surround your enemies, you..

A) Secure an agreement with the Hsunchen to leave, as it proposes.

B) Clap the human Hsunchen in fetters, and killing or driving off the badger. Once hauled off to the ring, he will likely be killed, but you will have acted with honor.

C) Fight them both.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
B is my vote

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

A

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

B

You don't get to gently caress around on clan lands without answering to the ring.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

wiegieman posted:

B

You don't get to gently caress around on clan lands without answering to the ring.

The Ring should decide

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B

This is the 'And find out'.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

wiegieman posted:

B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. A living foe is a known variable for the future. Hard to counter a foe you don't know.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finding out

“Drive off the four-legged” you say in a commanding tone, and your comrades, although worn, redouble their attack. The badger companion raises its hackles, and snaps its massive jaws around Brodarals parry arm, destroying his wicker shield and digging deep into his arm. With a terrible, piteous wheeze, he falters, pounding weakly at it as he sways. At this point, Ernar shoots his shot, striking the badger with his spear, and Arestra recovers her sword, ready to flank it.

The man-hsunchen seems agitated at the attacks on the badger, and rushes you with a drawn flint-blade. A deft parry later, you keep him at a distance with your spear. He looks desperately to his companion, and howls something in their own tongue. Upon hearing, it backtracks into the thicket, turns and flees. He, too, tries to turn, but is tackled by Arestra Plough-Breaker, and is easily pinned in place by the stronger Vingan.

You alight Brodaral before he falls on his face, and pull a flaxen bandage from your militia kit. It doesn’t look too deep, but it’s hard to see for blood, and you don’t want his long-term crippling on your conscience. Digging a finger into the wound, and tying a twig around the bandage, you compress it to the point that the bleeding spirits retreat from him. After a fashion, he comes to, and you can begin the taxing trek home.

“We should kill him” Ernar squeaks. “There’s nothing even close to kinship between us and the animal-folk”. The hsunchen, already broken, slumps even more between your rough arms.

“Yes” Brodaral snarls, “but there would be no honour in doing it now”.

Arestra keeps her own counsel, but you sense her rolling her eyes. You decide to put the foot down.

“He’s now the property of the ring, and you can bloody well explain to them that you want to kill him”

That settles the grumbling.

By the Woadstone

Pulling the Hsunchen with you into the bawn of Owl Clearing, you throw it to the ground. “Here’s your culprit” you say proudly, “he and his badger friends killed your herds”.

Jarang bristles. “This isn’t even one of the Orlanthi! We should kill it slowly!”. His wife, Mernala, puts a hand on his arm. “Ease, husband. We should find out what it wants.” As he is about to shout at her, she utters the magic phrase of the earth women*, and he calms.

Another ring member, Minast Cat-Voice, agrees, noting that finding out what they are doing will be the key to getting rid of them. Orvar pipes in as well, saying that their spirits might be key to breaking their spirit.

Arsulva Richesbringer seems to be wavering. The safety of the herd is all that matters to her, you think.

Strictly speaking, your obligation to the ring is lifted now. However, you can still offer your judgment to them, and there is a chance they’ll listen.

A) You thank the clan for always being true, and take your leave. You need to get to Jonstown.

B) You offer your opinion, towards killing the hsunchen. This will probably go over well, but alienate you a bit from your fellow earth goddesses in the clan: For example, Mernala would be snubbed, but Arsulva wouldn't.

C) You offer your opinion, towards clemency. This man is essentially a badger, following his mythic compulsion to attack larger beings for food. This may alienate you somewhat from certain storm worshippers of your clan: For example, Jarang would be snubbed, but Minast wouldn't.

D) Something else?

* “There Is Always Another Way.”, meeting the unuttered assumption of most men of the Storm tribe, that “Violence Is Always An Option”.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 5, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A better to seek approval when it isn’t a zero sum situation, and to leave judgment to those we have brought it here to be judged by. We could have killed or spared it ourselves directly, in not doing so, we leave the choice to others and our intervention would be contrary to our action.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
What is the magic phrase of the earth people*?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kanthulhu posted:

What is the magic phrase of the earth people*?

It got cut during the paste! I should have added it now :)

Also, it should have been "earth women", I guess.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

A better to seek approval when it isn’t a zero sum situation, and to leave judgment to those we have brought it here to be judged by. We could have killed or spared it ourselves directly, in not doing so, we leave the choice to others and our intervention would be contrary to our action.

Yes, I agree that A is our best course of action. We need to get to Jonstown, we've fulfilled our obligation, we've proven ourselves capable, let's let the circle do what the circle's going to do (argue).

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

a

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

We don't really care, and figuring out these things and dealing with the politics of it is why we have a circle in the first place.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Time to get out before all the politics gets to us A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Honours given

“My love and honour is the rings, and tears deep as the root of the Bayberry. I am now resolved to leave you, and thank you for the opportunity to help.”

Your words are good, and the Ring acquiesces. Orvar is fuming that you pulled off what he could not, and he ominously tells you to “beware of bees” as you leave.

In the lap of family

Packing your things on Geolmarth, you ponder the long trek to Jonstown. Fortunately, the way out of town will take you by your family stead. Perhaps the delay in reaching your temple is unforgivable in some analyses, but you are a Nandan. Even more so than your clan and tribe, you love your parents and grandparents, and your troublesome siblings to boot.

Reaching Two Turnip Gate, you see an old woman rootling weeds, and your heart sings with elation. “Sena the Grey!” you yell, and she jerks upright, hooting and hollering with happiness as she recognizes your voice. “Orlenda, as I live and poo poo! How are you?”

You embrace, and try to sort out the joys and missing of not having seen each other. You relate your days fighting at the walls of Nochet, and she tells of her attempts to guard caravans, and brushing off your aunts beseechments to keep their unruly children in line. Your mother, Iyena, arrives, and starts commenting on your golden drip, concealing her relief by cooking for you.

You learn that Yanina, your cousin on your mothers side, has had luck in running off to become a philosopher. Although originally seeking to make it to Nochet where you were at the time, she met a guru up by Hillhaven and went north towards Tarsh. Since then no news has returned, but your family remains hopeful that she hasn’t gotten herself in trouble. Garmast Golden Cup, on the other hand, has done well for himself and bought the help of a shaman to have spirits irrigate his land without trouble!

You come around to the meat of your experiences: Seeing Argrath White Bull rising from the steaming pits of the God-time, marshaling a great host to crush the various oppressors of the Lunar empire and their allies! Sena, the consummate adventurer, bristles that she is too old to ride there, but affirms your feeling that this is a portentous time of this age.

Leaving as a pony thane, don’t know when I’ll be back again

After a tough goodbye and some more exchanges of gifts, you pack up Geolmarth with your armour and weapons, as well as more supplies and a tent gifted by Haestbrann and his cult. They say it is customary, but Jarang and Mernalda probably ordered him to thank you in this manner for stopping the Badger Men.

You are approached by two folks who want to follow you out of town: Arestra the Vingan, whose determined character is appealing to you after your hunt for the cattle-killers, and Jasto, a son of your neighbours stead who simply needs company and protection. Seeing no reason to dismiss either, you allow them to tag along.

Now, though, to decide the best route to Jonstown. Traditionally, the best route would be to follow The Stream river to Clearwine, and make a comparatively short trek through the great hills to Jonstown. However, your clansfolk have told you that the Sun Dome templars have started harassing river travelers on suspicion of various crimes since these tumultous times have started up.

Another way would be to ride the river for a bit, and then skirt the Upland marsh going around the mountains. You’d steer clear of any troubles with river spirits and uptight templars, but could subject yourself to ducks, the living dead and other hassles.

You opt for..

A) ..The normal route through Clearwine. Ain’t no way a longer trip and the added risk of bandits and zombies makes sense here.

B) ..The long route. Something tells you the Solar temple thanes would harass you to a point you might have the way barred.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 16, 2023

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
B. Solars are assholes, Plus we have no beef with ducks and no reason to fear a few walking corpses

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Maybe we'll get to see a duck or two, and it can't be all that bothersome.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A few Solars shouldn't pose an issue with a Vingan along watching our back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I want to do B but what responsibility do we have for the others especially the reg guy that's just going the same direction? If we choose B and something bad happens to him are we in trouble?