Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Blue Raider posted:

lookin forward to this game

me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm going to play this game, and hell, i'm going to have fun

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if this game is gonna dia-blow

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Once the first expansion or Blizzard's GaaS equivalent of it comes out, if tradition is to be followed, D4 will be a good game. But with Activision calling the shots and demanding that every IP they publish be a billion dollar franchise D4 might get the plug pulled before we even get that chance.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Icept posted:

Lol has this been confirmed? That was like the only interesting part of the gameplay elements they've presented so far.

Several sites mention it yea though I can't find a direct source, just citing some dev interview.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo IV will once and for all answer the question of if you can successfully create a video game based entirely off of 10 years of Reddit posts complaining about D3 having too many colors.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Also, Diablo IV has no internal QA test team. Everyone was fired for trying to start a union. They are using blizzard employees, and family/friends to test it.

So if someone is playing it, there’s a strong chance they really do have an uncle who works for Blizzard who ban you for dancing in your underwear on the Ironforge anvil.

Dameius posted:

Once the first expansion or Blizzard's GaaS equivalent of it comes out, if tradition is to be followed, D4 will be a good game. But with Activision calling the shots and demanding that every IP they publish be a billion dollar franchise D4 might get the plug pulled before we even get that chance.

Diablo becomes Blizzard’s Watch Dogs.

It does feel like Blizzard loving hates their fans so that tracks.

bengraven fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 14, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This sums up my thoughts on Diablo 4:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176?s=20&t=XR4LF-Gu1CzIPGXzf-R6gQ

I'm gonna play a druid first I think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

How the gently caress are sets not in a Diablo game on launch lol

Diablo 3 was the same, they didn't come until much later.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah I think sets were a big selling point for one of the seasons if I remember right.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Launch D3 and D3 as it is now are almost completely different games; it's nuts in retrospect that Blizz would devote so much manpower to a game with no revenue stream. I guess the AH counted while it existed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blizzard did backtrack somewhat on Diablo 3's plans. A second expansion was canceled. Diablo IV's crazy development is revenge for people asking if Diablo Immortal was an off season April fools joke. But in all seriousness the game is massively behind schedule as is. It's still releasing, but inside sources that have talked privately about the game are saying that crunch time is super intense, and the game won't be ready at all on June 6. https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anticipating bad game and not buying at launch. I want to be wrong about it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Not a buggy, unbalanced mess

Blizzard Game
Balanced

Pick one :colbert:

I really don't want to give Blizz money but I will probably cave and buy this, even though D3 was a monumental letdown for me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm excited for it and hope Diablo 4 ultimately ends up being awesome but unless it's incredible at launch I doubt I get it before like August at the earliest because FF16 comes out two or three weeks later so I'll have plenty to immerse myself in while it cooks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It sounds like the team is crunching big time to get the game in an acceptable state to for release and from some anonymous sources they just have no passion for what they're working on because it's very rote.

I hope it's good and the development team aren't burning themselves out to get it over the finish line but it's Blizzard and their leads seem to be a special kind of incompetent.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The no sets thing is an over-correction to how sets in D3 dominate builds. So much so one of the seasonal conquests, or challenge achievements, is to beat a certain level timed rift without any set items.

It's trivial now with a gem boosting no set builds, though.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I don’t want to support Activision because Bonby Kock and his Boiler Room frat nerds are sexual predators and slave drivers.

But I also don’t know where my head will be at in June. I got a family member dying of terminal cancer in the next few weeks or months and I may need to just kill demons, piss and moan about balance meta, and shitpost here to take my mind off things.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I’ll be buying it day one because blizzard games kick loving rear end

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

D2 was one of my favorite games ever and I followed the dev announcements from day 1 about D3 for years only to be pretty disappointed at launch. Over time it became a fun game that I sunk hundreds of hours into but I haven’t been following D4 announcements at all and will probably wait a while when there have been some patches and I can pick it up on sale.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jimbot posted:

It sounds like the team is crunching big time to get the game in an acceptable state to for release and from some anonymous sources they just have no passion for what they're working on because it's very rote.

I feel like the ARPG genre is just pretty thoroughly explored at this point, I can't really imagine how one could breath fresh air into it. And while I loved Sanctuary as a kid 20 years ago, D3 did nothing for me in that sense. Can't imagine D4 doing a whole lot to win me over in the world building space, even if I am a fan of the darker / more macabre esthetic.

I feel like that's kind of why Vampire Survivors and its ilk took off; you get that uber power fantasy satisfaction of an end game ARPG character distilled down into a 20 minute experience.

And while sets were good in D3 I thought if you really wanted to push things then it was chasing Super Mega Ancient Legendaries and putting unique mods on other pieces of gear? Like yea you do the season challenge and get your free set that makes XYZ skills do +10,000% damage but that only gets you so far?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 14, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m just tired of seasons and battle passes, boss. I don’t even engage with them or get fomo but I’m still tired

Even if Bobby Kotick weren't a massive poo poo pile of a person, I wouldn't get D4 because of the loving battle pass.

I'm completely done with games that want you to grind out poo poo in a limited timeframe and ask you to pay for the pleasure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

And while sets were good in D3 I thought if you really wanted to push things then it was chasing Super Mega Ancient Legendaries and putting unique mods on other pieces of gear? Like yea you do the season challenge and get your free set that makes XYZ skills do +10,000% damage but that only gets you so far?

Most D3 builds will top out in the GR125-140 range and you need a really optimized setup and mass Paragon to clear GR150, minus OP seasonal bonuses that can push you closer. Paragon is the main determinant of success though rather than gear, which is a problem I hoped D4 would fix with their board idea.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Also, forgot about the clusterfuck that was Diablo Immortal.

I'd wager good money that they will gently caress up D4 at launch and sour even more people to their company.

Just gonna play Grim Dawn again, I guess.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Harriet Carker posted:

....wait a while when there have been some patches and I can pick it up on sale.

This is what most people should do.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I kind of liked when Diablo was just a bunch of people in a lovely rural part of the world trying to save the rest of Sanctuary from the ultimate evil. I don’t mind a long road trip but fast traveling across the globe feels more like a different game. Diablo is supposed to feel like there’s no hope from the outside and it’s just you and some losers who are trying to scam you out of the legendary that just dropped.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

That Little Demon posted:

I’ll be buying it day one because blizzard games kick loving rear end

I dunno, they've had a lot of stinkers the past few years. Although the last D3 season was fun, and the next one looks great, and Dragonflight is pretty good so far.

I'm not buying day one simply because I played the closed beta and it was boring as hell.

MrMidnight posted:

This is what most people should do.

Blizzard stuff rarely goes on sale. Especially new stuff. Not saying never, but if you want to hold out for a sale, it could be a year or more.

You could also risk buying a key for probably half the cost at sketchy cd key sites (which I've done for the past 2 WoW expacs and game time codes without any major issues, but caveat emptor and all that).

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

xZAOx posted:

I dunno, they've had a lot of stinkers the past few years. Although the last D3 season was fun, and the next one looks great, and Dragonflight is pretty good so far.

I'm not buying day one simply because I played the closed beta and it was boring as hell.

Blizzard stuff rarely goes on sale. Especially new stuff. Not saying never, but if you want to hold out for a sale, it could be a year or more.

You could also risk buying a key for probably half the cost at sketchy cd key sites (which I've done for the past 2 WoW expacs and game time codes without any major issues, but caveat emptor and all that).

World of Warcraft classic is a loving masterpiece

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah sales are like only for really big holidays like Black Friday until it’s been out a year. Best would be maybe 20 bucks off for I dunno loving Labor Day or whatever.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sab669 posted:

There's a gem that gives a bonus for each legendary and ancient legendary item worn if not using a set. Still caps out at like 10,000% so comparable, not strictly better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mozi posted:

Yes and it’s too bad because I won’t be giving them money for this even if it’s good.

It’s not a very hard decision to make tbh, just needs you to actually care a little bit.

Sorry my 2023 New Year’s resolution was not to let the internet tell me what games not to play

Jimbot posted:

I hope it's good and the development team aren't burning themselves out to get it over the finish line but it's Blizzard and their leads seem to be a special kind of incompetent.

Its development has definitely been incredibly cursed and if anyone believes they’re not going to gently caress around with the cash shop I have a bridge to sell you. I hope it’s good, too, so the dev team can have some peace.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 14, 2023

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Unless there has been a lot of work behind the scenes, I'm not optimistic for launch. It's hard to go into too much detail, but everything felt so dull. The combat is fine, but imo not better than D3. Most builds played the same with a generator, spender, defensive, movement, buff, and a 2 min cooldown. With having to put points into skills there just didn't feel there much to experiment with once you unlocked each tier.

The itemization which is the high point in D3 felt super dull to me in D4. Many items are designed to work with any skill so it's all very generic.

Maybe they'll fix it up with the first expansion or so, but for now it's a big pass for me.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

xZAOx posted:

Warcraft 3 Remastered still hasn't gone on sale. I'm going to hazard a guess that D4 will launch in a similar "apology worthy" state and Blizzard will make a similar commitment to not put the game on sale until they "get it right" while ending seasons for D3 and pushing people to D4 at full price. Get ready to pay full price for D4 for at least a year, maybe two.

I'd be happy to be wrong

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sab669 posted:

Depends on the season gimmick but there are a few no set builds in the top tier each season. Somewhat of a pain to get them on par with the set builds. A lot of the set builds you just need set+a few support items then it's off pushing. For no set you need to get a few ancient items and level the gem up a bunch to really take off.

Pushing a build to its limit is the real grind in D3. Both perfectly optimized ancient items and paragon. Especially paragon.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I said come in! posted:

Blizzard did backtrack somewhat on Diablo 3's plans. A second expansion was canceled. Diablo IV's crazy development is revenge for people asking if Diablo Immortal was an off season April fools joke. But in all seriousness the game is massively behind schedule as is. It's still releasing, but inside sources that have talked privately about the game are saying that crunch time is super intense, and the game won't be ready at all on June 6. https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

People should absolutely not buy this pile of poo poo lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Oh I missed that article.

The article posted:

Before the covid-19 pandemic, there was a weekly beer share on Fridays run by McCree for the team to socialize. But several former employees said only beer drinkers, and specifically those bringing the right kinds of beers, were comfortable attending.

I really want to know what "the right kinds of beers" were

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving IPA bros ruin everything

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What's the most corrupted beer

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

External Organs posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "corrupted", but I feel like the answer is probably Sours.

I fuckin' love a good sour, and second to that I love seeing the reaction of people trying them for the first time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

External Organs posted:

Natty Ice, the official beer of drunk cube bros.