Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

External Organs posted:

What's the most corrupted beer

white claw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I'm not saying never, but if you want to hold out for a sale, it could be a year or more.

Exactly. That's how long folks should wait for Bliz to patch the game up and actually finish it. Its got Cyberpunk 2077 all over it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrMidnight posted:

Exactly. That's how long folks should wait for Bliz to patch the game up and actually finish it. Its got Cyberpunk 2077 all over it.

:hmmyes:

Being old has the benefit of being patient. I rarely feel the need to buy anything at launch. I have a lot of other games to play/finish in the meantime [insert obligatory comment about steam sales here].

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Unless there has been a lot of work behind the scenes, I'm not optimistic for launch. It's hard to go into too much detail, but everything felt so dull. The combat is fine, but imo not better than D3. Most builds played the same with a generator, spender, defensive, movement, buff, and a 2 min cooldown. With having to put points into skills there just didn't feel there much to experiment with once you unlocked each tier.

The itemization which is the high point in D3 felt super dull to me in D4. Many items are designed to work with any skill so it's all very generic.

Maybe they'll fix it up with the first expansion or so, but for now it's a big pass for me.

My thoughts exactly fellow closed beta tester. I was super excited to get selected, played until I got to level 30 or so and then just lost interest.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Being old has the benefit of being patient. I rarely feel the need to buy anything at launch. I have a lot of other games to play/finish in the meantime [insert obligatory comment about steam sales here].

Yep. I'm sure the game will find its way in due time. Meanwhile, there's a ton of games to play thanks to the recent Goon game of the year thread.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xZAOx posted:

it's less that I'm patient and more that I don't have enough time to play everything so if I can get through the FOMO phase I'll be golden because inevitably I will pick something else up and stop thinking about missing out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarEternal posted:

People should absolutely not buy this pile of poo poo lol.

I hate that you're right, I know deep down you're right. I just really love Diablo, but it's not like I can't just stick with Diablo 2, and 3. Really want Diablo 4 to be good, it's unfair that its being made by Blizzard.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
People are gonna buy this game because they need the demon clicker and then spend a few days fighting on SA over the ethics of it only to put in like 20 hours and move on to another game like Elden Ring DLC.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Still waiting for even a word about Path of Exile 2 :sigh:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bengraven posted:

People are gonna buy this game because they need the demon clicker and then spend a few days fighting on SA over the ethics of it only to put in like 20 hours and move on to another game like Elden Ring DLC.

It's on FromSoft to release Elden Ring DLC right before D4.. Give us something to do while we learn how on fire this pile of old tires is.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Sab669 posted:

They are gonna drop all the rest of the info for it at exilecon which is like at the very end of July. Should include beta information iirc. I doubt we'll see anything about it until then.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

bengraven posted:

I see you know your judo steam cycle well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe we will get lucky and Diablo IV will be on Game Pass.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sab669 posted:

I'm not because I WILL get sucked in to that hole again and will love every second of it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I said come in! posted:

I hate that you're right, I know deep down you're right. I just really love Diablo, but it's not like I can't just stick with Diablo 2, and 3. Really want Diablo 4 to be good, it's unfair that its being made by Blizzard.

I mean, I want to like it, it just looks like a total loving pile at the moment and it sounds like everyone making it is loving miserable and the people in charge of the direction of the game is literally the worst it has ever been.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What can you expect out of a game Blizzard apparently got flamed into making

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, this is another part of it. I know you're talking about the "don't you guys have phones?" stuff but also there's stuff they're saying they designed poo poo as being a reaction to people whining about aspects of Diablo 3 that actually make it a fun/good game.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

This game looks extremely good, tons of stuff to do in the endgame, monetization seems fair and almost fully limited to cosmetics only, developer with a great track record, can't wait to check it out.

Here's a link to more info.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
New trailer looking good!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, this is another part of it. I know you're talking about the "don't you guys have phones?" stuff but also there's stuff they're saying they designed poo poo as being a reaction to people whining about aspects of Diablo 3 that actually make it a fun/good game.

Maybe Blizzard should try to make a good game

I actually don't know.much about D4, maybe it will be good.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Mustached Demon posted:

It's on FromSoft to release Elden Ring DLC right before D4.. Give us something to do while we learn how on fire this pile of old tires is.

Can you imagine if we got a meaty DLC right before Diablo. D4 would still sell well but it would be hurt Blizzard a lot.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I see you know your judo steam cycle well

I didn’t realize I said “everyone”. I misspelled “I am going to” because I do this every Activision release since like BFA.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Can you cancel a pre-order after participating in the beta? Reactions to the closed beta ranged from "It's pretty good and I'm excited to play the full game." to "I lost interest. It's a pile of poo poo. No one should buy this." I'd really like a chance to form my own opinion before dropping $70+ on a game that may or may not suck.

External Organs posted:

They are gonna drop all the rest of the info for it at exilecon which is like at the very end of July. Should include beta information iirc. I doubt we'll see anything about it until then.

PoE has done a lot to position itself as the anti-Diablo 3. It feels like GGG has been withholding PoE 2 information to do the same with Diablo 4. If the D4 launch date slips until just before, or even after, exilecon it'll be interesting to see how GGG reacts.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

That Little Demon posted:

World of Warcraft classic is a loving masterpiece

wotlk classic is incredibly good :hai: and so will Diablo 4 be also

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

World of Warcraft classic is a loving masterpiece

An Actual Princess posted:

wotlk classic is incredibly good :hai: and so will Diablo 4 be also

I'm not sure "The re-releases of their old games are good" is a very strong basis to assume that a new game will be good :thunk:
Especially when WC3 Reforged was (is?) quite the mess.

Does the game really only launch with 5 classes? Weren't there 6 at launch + "DLC" Necromancer D3?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D3 only launched with 5 classes - Barbarian, Wizard, Monk, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter. Crusader was added with RoS and Necromancer got its own DLC.

The difference to me is that D3 had very unique, visually distinct classes that were different from their predecessors both in terms of the gameplay and character. Every single class in D4 is a retread from some earlier game and they've kinda got nothing special going on.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was the Crusader an expansion class? I guess that'd make sense ROS must've brought a new class, but I don't recall that at all -- but then that was 9 years ago (:wtc:) so of course I don't

I'm kind of fine with them being repeats of the familiar classes; Demon Hunter was kind of lame IMO. I guess the Monk is probably cooler than D2's Paladin, but :shrug: And I suppose the Barb & Wizard brought new tools to the table but they also very much cribbed on the popular Barb & Sorc stuff from D2.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I'm guessing first additional class with be required holy dmg crusader/monk/paladin, then after that no idea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

I'm kind of fine with them being repeats of the familiar classes; Demon Hunter was kind of lame IMO. I guess the Monk is probably cooler than D2's Paladin, but :shrug: And I suppose the Barb & Wizard brought new tools to the table but they also very much cribbed on the popular Barb & Sorc stuff from D2.

For me Diablo 3 excelled at giving all the classes a really distinctive silhouette and theme. Wizards were more than just traditional spellcasters, they were arrogant and unstable, and all of their abilities played into that sense of instability. Monks had an interesting blend of Eastern Orthodox and Asian martial arts influences that gave them their own distinct melee identity from slower, heavy-hitting Barbs. There was just a ton of attention to detail and creativity that seems to be totally lacking in D4, where every animation looks like they're from an F2P game. Launching with absolutely zero new classes or even an attempt to push the envelope a little just communicates a lack of vision.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure "The re-releases of their old games are good" is a very strong basis to assume that a new game will be good :thunk:
Especially when WC3 Reforged was (is?) quite the mess.

"WOW Classic is good" is a loving hilarious statement given it basically confirms the constant bias of "a blizzard game was great until they hosed it up"

Starcraft 2 has somehow held up really well, still owns. Maybe they should hire David Brevik back, Marvel Heroes was fun as gently caress

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Monks are the best D3 class. DH and Barb are tied in a very close second, then everything else.

e: Also did they talk at all about integrating zDPS builds into this game for actual fun and interesting group play or is that miles ahead of where they are or too d3 for the d2 fanboys?

Dameius fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 15, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just glad druid is back.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

exquisite tea posted:

Launching with absolutely zero new classes or even an attempt to push the envelope a little just communicates a lack of vision.

This is my biggest concern about the game so far, like just gank some classes from DND or something. There's a thousand different things they could do.

Of course you include a few fan favorites but drat do some new poo poo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm one of those freaks that liked all of the classes in D3.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

:yeah:

I was absolutely in love with the Druid Primalist in Last Epoch. Then I borrowed a friends' account to play D2 Remastered and played a Druid was reminded how loving awful they were back in the day and it made me sad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm one of those freaks that liked all of the classes in D3.

Nah, all of the D3 classes were cool! It was worth it to play and level up everyone.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I said come in! posted:

Druid was definitely the worst feeling of the classes in the closed beta so i hope they gave it a lot of love in the meantime.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Druid was definitely the worst feeling of the classes in the closed beta so i hope they gave it a lot of love in the meantime.

:(

That makes me sad. I hope you're right.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I had a hard time choosing. The monk and demon hunter were my favorite from the trailers but the edge lord goth in me went DH first. But in the end the wizard was my favorite to play. Freezing time was fun.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah all the classes in 3 were fun to play even the witch doctor and necro despite have similarities were both entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Found this article from a few months ago that goes over why they chose the classes they did

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-4/classes-new

Also has a glimmer of hope for us witch doctor fans