Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The original run from the creator actually had him as the straight man in plenty of episodes. Like the one where an antelope dates him to make her boyfriend, a crab, jealous. Or the one where a Schoolhouse Rock guy teaches him how to manipulate women and then gets his rear end kicked. There was also plenty of Johnny being a doofus though. In the later episodes where they retooled the show a bit he was 100% doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Das Boo posted:

a nerd who's got a crush on him,

Wasnt that one just a commercial that had Dexter having a crush on Velma, but is devastated when she goes out with Johnny Bravo?

Think there were a whole series of "Johnny dates Velma" spots

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

X JAKK posted:

Wasnt that one just a commercial that had Dexter having a crush on Velma, but is devastated when she goes out with Johnny Bravo?

Oh, I was talking about Carl.
The Johnny/Velma thing was great, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

X JAKK posted:

There was also a crossover episode where Velma had a crush on Johnny but Johnny was fixated on Daphne.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oof that sucks

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Johnathan Quest and his friend one who has completed the Hajj to Mecca

This one completed the ajj

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Johnathan Quest and his friend one who has completed the Hajj to Mecca

gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey gang. Do you want to know a secret?

All the cartoons you enjoyed as a child are poo poo. They're all poo poo. No matter how hard you try to convince yourself 'this one is legit good' it's not. It's awful. All of them.

Look at this dumb gently caress who never watched Animals of Farthing Wood

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Rockos Modern Life was my favorite show as a kid, and some of the episodes even hold up. I remember being really freaked out by the magic meatball episode wherein Ed Bighead relies on a fortune telling novelty device to tell him what to do at work. He can't decide for himself and is stressed out about keeping up with quotas. I asked my dad if that was what work was really like and he couldn't bring himself to say no lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

X JAKK posted:

Did you know Bruce Willis got his own animated series where he plays a child version of himself that is also a genius super spy?

He also sings his own theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpI9nit2Zpw

before youtube I could've sworn I imagined this in a fever dream and never met anyone else IRL who remembers it

what was with that show's Charro obsession

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I see this take a lot and I wonder if I'm misremembering Johnny Bravo? I recall Johnny's toxic masculinity being the constant source of his problems and the butt of most the jokes. Like, the core premise of the show is this Chad can't get a girlfriend because women want nothing to do with a dumb, self-absorbed rear end in a top hat. His only friends are a little girl who's way more competent than him, a nerd who's got a crush on him, and his mom, who he lives with. All the prospective hotties turned out to be hyper-competent, talented women with their own interests and standards that Johnny never met since his only virtue was having vanity muscles. Children could kick his rear end, and often did.

Johnny Bravo was way ahead of its time, if anything.

The thing is that the internet is well equipped for this kind of doofus to make a lot of money and gain a following now, social media didn't exist then. There are tons of weird, self absorbed muscular confident assholes making a shitload of money right now.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

shame on an IGA posted:

before youtube I could've sworn I imagined this in a fever dream and never met anyone else IRL who remembers it

what was with that show's Charro obsession

Lol that bit where he’s chased by the guys on snowmobiles and drops a “Yippe kay-ay” is like the only thing I remember from this show.

Well that and getting it mixed up with the PS1 game Apocalypse, because of the bad CGI Bruce Willis in that show and the game ads

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The thing is that the internet is well equipped for this kind of doofus to make a lot of money and gain a following now, social media didn't exist then. There are tons of weird, self absorbed muscular confident assholes making a shitload of money right now.

It's always been a thing where weird, self-absorbed assholes have made shitloads of money and have had shitloads of power, muscular or not. Many of them conquered a good bit of the world at one point or another. Johnny Bravo is idealized in that it doesn't entertain that idea, but realistic in that women with personal agency aren't really fulfilled by "he hot." The worse narrative is having that rear end in a top hat succeed. It might be realistic, but it's not a healthy or rewarding story.

The idealized man in Johnny Bravo is literally Donny Osmond.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't think women would be the ones to follow him, I think it would be men. The internet would be a perfect place for Johnny Bravo to give terrible advice and make money off of supplements. The current state of advice for young men is so heinous right now that he'd be perfect for it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd hope CN wouldn't endorse a non-contextual, Johnny-run TikTok, but they are hungry.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Man, you know what was a good cartoon? Codename: Kids Next Door. I loved that show.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

samcarsten posted:

Man, you know what was a good cartoon? Codename: Kids Next Door. I loved that show.

I checked out once it started taking itself way too seriously trying to establish a huge convoluted extended lore. See also: Adventure Time

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Brad Garrett voiced the larger of the 2 Stupid Dogs

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

biker mice from mars

street sharks

no way those were made to just sell toys

e: the mighty ducks, where they're outer space duck people that also play hockey

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i just remembered that red planet cartoon in the early 90s. it was a movie or short series. I think it had elephant aliens.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t know about you guys but sneakin some candy and watching the Snorks right after the Smurfs was my poo poo back in the day. :munch:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

and here is the Archie Comics Cartoon Network Christmas Spectacular from 1997:
https://archive.org/details/CartoonNetworkChristmasSpectacular/mode/2up

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 15, 2023

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Doctor J Off posted:

Rockos Modern Life was my favorite show as a kid, and some of the episodes even hold up. I remember being really freaked out by the magic meatball episode wherein Ed Bighead relies on a fortune telling novelty device to tell him what to do at work. He can't decide for himself and is stressed out about keeping up with quotas. I asked my dad if that was what work was really like and he couldn't bring himself to say no lol

That was my favorite episode as a kid and later on in life I learned that was accurate AF

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Looney Tunes is going to be like the Domesday Book for 20th century US culture

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
one word

skinamarink

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Das Boo posted:

I see this take a lot and I wonder if I'm misremembering Johnny Bravo? I recall Johnny's toxic masculinity being the constant source of his problems and the butt of most the jokes. Like, the core premise of the show is this Chad can't get a girlfriend because women want nothing to do with a dumb, self-absorbed rear end in a top hat. His only friends are a little girl who's way more competent than him, a nerd who's got a crush on him, and his mom, who he lives with. All the prospective hotties turned out to be hyper-competent, talented women with their own interests and standards that Johnny never met since his only virtue was having vanity muscles. Children could kick his rear end, and often did.

Johnny Bravo was way ahead of its time, if anything.

If it counts, Pops from the diner also treated him quite decently and would often give him good advice. It's just that Johnny was, of course, too dumb to actually put it into practice.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

There was also a crossover episode where Velma had a crush on Johnny but Johnny was fixated on Daphne.

Bravo Dooby Doo was one of the best crossovers CN ever did. And that chase sequence! easily the best part of the episode

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They made a Highlander cartoon. It was super weird because it was set over 700 years into the future where everything was all fantasy like after an evil immortal took over the world when the other immortals stopped trying to seek the prize.

Also because of course he was the main character was a descendent of clan MacLeod.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Doctor J Off posted:

also there's an episode where Rocko is job hopping and tries phone sex work until he and Mrs. Bighead recognize each other over the phone lol

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

ElectricSheep posted:

also there's an episode where Rocko is job hopping and tries phone sex work until he and Mrs. Bighead recognize each other over the phone lol

and the banned episode where she tries to seduce Rocko

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

X JAKK posted:

and the banned episode where she tries to seduce Rocko

That episode created a lot of confused feelings for 9th grade me

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

How retro is retro because i really really liked and continue to like the ghost planet / Williams Street output of the late 90's through the mid-aughts. Venture brothers, sealab 2021, aqua teen hunger force, etc.

The first season of Venture Brothers was 20 years ago

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

the 00's were a confusing time of highs and lows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMta5T_2UM

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

They made a Highlander cartoon. It was super weird because it was set over 700 years into the future where everything was all fantasy like after an evil immortal took over the world when the other immortals stopped trying to seek the prize.

Also because of course he was the main character was a descendent of clan MacLeod.

I think the only bit of that show I ever saw was the main character getting shredded by a giant propeller and then reconstituting himself, which I saw on ABC family at my grandparents' house, but I remember it like it was yesterday for some reason.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rsV5GE8M80

Puppydog Tales with Rosie and Ruff

What the gently caress is up with Ruff? You have Rosie here, trying her damndest just to get through her life, and this dipshit Ruff just keeps loving everything up, and he makes some half hearted gesture to show hes kinda learned his lesson but then he just goes right back to being an absolute poo poo. JUMPING QUEUES RUFF?! YOU RAT BASTARD! I hate Ruff and his dumb little dumb voice and I hope Rosie throws him down a well.

And you drat British better learn to animate your drat mouths or ill bop you one

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

man no one cares how poo poo these cartoons were, the only metric is how fuckin rad their opening theme was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2Cd9tyUvY

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Loden Taylor posted:

man no one cares how poo poo these cartoons were, the only metric is how fuckin rad their opening theme was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2Cd9tyUvY

If we're posting openings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPVjMXC5Es
Man this show was so :krad:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Extra Large Marge posted:

Brad Garrett voiced the larger of the 2 Stupid Dogs

As a teen I used to come home just before sun up, after out being a degenerate all night, and this was on. I remember it being genuinely funny as watched it every chance I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Batman: The Animated Series may be the best cartoon ever to exist. The animation, the story telling, the voice work. Kevin Conroy is the most iconic Batman. It would air right when I got home from school and it was one of the best parts of my day. Probably the first time DC or Marvel made something without the intended demographic being a toddler.

Silverhawks and Mighty Orbots were awesome.