Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/pkrugg/status/1625511826984169473

Teen Titans Go brought back Freakazoid for an episode and they got everybody back, even Joe Leahy the narrator.

Fun fact, Paul Rugg was originally a writer and producer for the show who got tasked with finding a voice for the titular Freakazoid but eventually decided that he was actually the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Freakazoid was too good for this world.

Really the only Warner Bros. cartoon from that era that sucked was Histeria. Animaniacs could sneak in an edutainment segment every once in a while, but an entire show of them was just cringy.

Oh, and Pinky, Elmira, and The Brain, but of course that never happened so I don't have to include it and now let us never speak of it again.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Knormal posted:

Freakazoid was too good for this world.

Really the only Warner Bros. cartoon from that era that sucked was Histeria. Animaniacs could sneak in an edutainment segment every once in a while, but an entire show of them was just cringy.

Oh, and Pinky, Elmira, and The Brain, but of course that never happened so I don't have to include it and now let us never speak of it again.

Histeria sucked rear end but it was still a guilty pleasure of mine. But nothing will beat the Cartoon history of the Universe in my mind though. ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm probably the only person in the world who is unreasonably obsessed with The Mighty Ducks Animated Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwlXRVWCCI

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I gave a few 90s cartoons a bit of a watch after mostly missing out on them in the 90s, in part due to already being into other animated media at the time.

Savage Dragon was pretty interesting when I gave some of the episodes a rewatch.

Ultraforce was the real surprise, though. I had mostly skipped this series in the 90s other than than first episode or two when it premiered, but going back to it now I'm surprised that it didn't develop a cult following as a spiritual successor to the 90s X-Men cartoon. It REALLY is better than it probably has any right to be, despite its problems.

Given that I didn't follow the comics all that much, I don't know how accurate they were to that, but on its own the series really impressed and shocked given the era it came out. Some examples:

The drugs episode that has almost nothing to do with the drugs. A character casually refers to drug addicts as 'crackheads' with it being treated as a revelation or anything. A mother (in a completely unrelated episode) just flat out says her son is 'acting like he's on drugs'.

In a 'very special episode' installment of a series, there would be something more substantial to the 'drugs are bad' message, but not in these. In the 90s, you didn't hear these kinds of things unless the show was really hammering home a point.

Let's talk about death and violence. Not only do we have a pseudo-Deadpool walking around, but right in the first story line a teenage girl dies in a pretty gruesome way. You've got a kid gangster running around with (magic) guns in a storyline. He's not a magical ageless kid, he's just a normal kid. It's not a message about how guns are bad because kids might find them, either.

There is an episode with a carjacking that plays out much better than it has the right to.

Again, I stress, "FOR A CHILDREN'S CARTOON IN THE 90s".

There's also a strange as hell episode co-starring Night Man that goes off in a REALLY strange direction involving a woman that culminates in so many "Wait, what hell was that?!?" moments for me. I swear, Antagony from Frisky Dingo HAD to be influenced by this.

Then I watched 2 episodes of WildCATS and it was one of the worst 90s cartoons I'd ever sat through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't forget there was a Toxic Avenger cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y

Apparently because one of the TMNT creators was a huge fan of the movies. Weirdly enough I feel like the cartoon is still in the spirit of the movies, especially given there was apparently somehow a Toxic Avenger musical.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Tied for best Hero AND best theme on planet earth: The Huntsman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You want to dedicate a quarter of our runtime to a spoof of the 1969 Barbra Streisand musical "Hello, Dolly!"? Yeah sure, go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUa2I2q4nD8

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wonder how well a gimmick band that just does songs from 80s cartoon intros would do? I think they'd get a lot of gigs.

Silverhawk's ain't go poo poo on this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

The Cybertronic Spree already exists, yes they dress up as Transformers, and yes they appear at it seems literally every convention so good luck if you're a nerd who doesn't like them bc welp, you're gonna see them whether you like it or not, as they rule that gimmick space.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Going over to a friends house who had the animated Capt. Power VHS tapes and watching them play with them on their TV with their jet.

No, you're not allowed to play. You can watch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those things were cool as hell. My brother had one and I got to use it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's also a strange as hell episode co-starring Night Man

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 17, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
An interesting thing about Freakazoid is that for probably the first decade or so of its existence it had a lot of fan hatred aimed at it for ripping off the comic "Madman".

Not sure how accurate the legend is, but the rumor for a big part of the latter 90s was that WB was going to do a Madman animated series decided to scrap it and but use it as a basis for F!. But Madman was a bit off my radar and I don't know how similar the two really are. They seemed pretty different enough, but this was also the era of "Someone wore a hat, it's a rip off!" from fandoms.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Fun fact, Paul Rugg was originally a writer and producer for the show who got tasked with finding a voice for the titular Freakazoid but eventually decided that he was actually the best choice.

And he was right.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (the fox kids cartoon) has more character depth than a 90s kids show has any business having

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Junk posted:

Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (the fox kids cartoon) has more character depth than a 90s kids show has any business having

Rockapella. :hmmyes:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

that was the game show (which also ruled for different reasons)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Junk posted:

You'd be surprised about those shows sometimes. A lot have more effort in them than you'd think, though where it shows up varies.

The Mighty Ducks show was imo pretty surprisingly good. I think the voice cast carries it; they're shockingly good in their roles and have quite a bit of variety and chemistry. And it might seem like a cliche but having the hulking brute duck be a soft-spoken Zen monk type who uses his strength with deliberation and precision, and is overall the most chill member of the cast, is pretty fun.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bark and scratchin. Frisbee catchin', presidential pets. Drive souped up cars and jets.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't think I'm misremembering this, but didn't the MASK cartoon of the 80s have a really hard shift from a GI Joe like plot to essentially Wacky Races? Maybe that was just the comic, though.

Another great thing about the 80s/90s: The War on Drugs being so big that even GI Joe and Cobra, C.O.P.S. and Criminals, Capitalists and Commies, all will put their differences aside to fight drug dealers.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Junk posted:

That show had the guy who voices Squidward as the talking computer! :popeye:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm 38. I definitely had a cartoon cutoff, where the style was shifting and it no longer appealed to me. I can't remember what the last cartoon I really enjoyed as a kid (predictably, in my 30s, I'm now getting back into it) but like, Cow and Chicken was something that was contemporary that I didn't like. It was around that era, any cartoon that wasn't something like The Simpsons or whatever no longer drew me.

Drew me

Animaniacs was contemporary before said cutoff but it has always sucked I'm sorry

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Animation in the US seemed to have a hard turn by the late 90s as more stuff felt like it was mutations of the Cartoon Network original content style and Ren and Stimpy.

That and I feel the rise of the E/I broadcast requirements more or less killed Saturday Morning and afterschool fare, while cable channels could get away with not only skipping out on those but also save money just just dubbing more import content.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't think I'm misremembering this, but didn't the MASK cartoon of the 80s have a really hard shift from a GI Joe like plot to essentially Wacky Races? Maybe that was just the comic, though.

Yes, the second season, which was only ten episodes, focused on auto racing. It still had adventure plots like the first season but everything had to revolve around racing. Also no one had a secret identity any more.

Fun (?) fact: Chuck Lorre of The Big Bang Theory was a writer on MASK.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 18, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I remember Toonsylvania being pretty good. Does anyone else remember Toonsylvania?

Also the Tick.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Junk posted:

that was the game show (which also ruled for different reasons)

I think I only ever saw a kid win like once or twice. The ending segments was usually way brutal.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
mmhherrrr

https://i.imgur.com/ZPaoYHv.mp4

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah you can't say no anime because if you remember a cartoon with a kickass intro that featured great mech design, cool special effects like blinking consoles, rays of light flashing from engines, or characters vaguely well animated, it's probably a Japanese studio that was paid for it.

zone posted:

Bravo Dooby Doo was one of the best crossovers CN ever did. And that chase sequence! easily the best part of the episode
*Velma and Jonny crash into each other*
Velma: "my glasses! I can't see without my glasses!"
Jonny: "My glasses! I can't be seen without my glasses!!"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah you can't say no anime because if you remember a cartoon with a kickass intro that featured great mech design, cool special effects like blinking consoles, rays of light flashing from engines, or characters vaguely well animated, it's probably a Japanese studio that was paid for it.

The Real Ghostbusters has entered the chat

FilthyImp posted:

*Velma and Jonny crash into each other*
Velma: "my glasses! I can't see without my glasses!"
Jonny: "My glasses! I can't be seen without my glasses!!"

this bit's stuck with me since I was a child, because it's funny and emblematic of both of these characters :allears:

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/ygrEVnrg3Ic

Gargoyles

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

In the late 80's or so my grandfather tried to get cable set up at his house. He was a couple of miles outside of town and the cable company didn't have the infrastructure in place to install service that far out.

Instead, grandpa spent a fortune getting one of those huge satellite dishes installed, the kind that rotated every time you switched satellites.

A couple of months after he had it installed the cable company called to say that they could now offer service out in the sticks. Grandpa was fuckin furious and carried a grudge for years.

The satellite service, however, was very very good. Unlimited everything, thousands of channels and premium content with nothing restricted. No subscriptions required. If you owned the hardware you had unfettered access to like a dozen satellites with hundreds of channels each. At the time it was completely mind blowing, and looking back on it now it still seems very cool and kind of futuristic.

What grandpa hasn't known was that he was late to the party and satellite was trying their best to move to a subscription service. After enjoying a year-or-so of unlimited everything, the number of channels you could watch slowly started dwindling. Eventually you were left with maybe 10 channels per satellite, with everything else being scrambled. Eventually the motor that turned the dish froze in the middle of tuning in, so the dish was stuck between satellites and was unusable. Grandpa was fed up with the whole thing and just went back to rabbit ears, so for the next 5 years or so we were limited to 3 or 4 channels depending on the weather.

Around 1994 or so grandpa must have gotten over his grudge against the cable company because he surprised me by telling me to stay home from school that day so i could wait for the cable guy to show up.

Once the cable was installed i got to see cartoon network for the first time. I loved the branding and aesthetic but i was disappointed in the endless amount of flintstones and scooby, two of my least-favorite shows ever which dominated the CN programming block.

This was around the time that shows like Cartoon Planet, Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast, and the what a cartoon block were beginning, but most of the time that i tuned in it was the loving Flintstones.

That's what made Pirates of Dark Water such a breath of fresh air. At 14 years old i was a little outside the target audience but i really found that show enthralling. It wasn't just the show, like i said i was really into the early CN vibe and i was thrilled that they were showing something that wasn't scooby doo.

So yeah, all of that to say that pirates of dark water was cool and i wish it got another season.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking about how sharply Dexter's Lab declined after the movie. Should've just ended it right there and had a perfect run.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Remember Blackstar? Now that was a cool cartoon. Those classic Filmation mattes were amazing in a far future post apocalyptic style.

The premise was basically sword and sorcery buck rogers. I don't remember if the show was good but that poo poo had style.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

Thinking about how sharply Dexter's Lab declined after the movie. Should've just ended it right there and had a perfect run.

OG Dexter's Lab was the poo poo. That one episode where he became the Hulk if he didn't get vegetables to eat was amazing. And when he successfully managed to ruin christmas for everyone. And who can forget the Koosalagoopagoop?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

titties posted:

Remember Blackstar? Now that was a cool cartoon. Those classic Filmation mattes were amazing in a far future post apocalyptic style.
Lou Scheimer had an ungodly amount of shows he worked on.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gargoyles was great but it was at that point where I was getting too old for cartoons so I didn't tell anyone I watched it. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Woah, another one just popped in my head.

King Arthur and the Nights of Justice. I think I only got to see a little less than 20 minutes of this show each day because I had to catch the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K6YGCSiwA

Also Captain Planet was awesome and it's pretty amazing seeing the modern GOP is literally Captain Planet villains.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah, another one just popped in my head.

King Arthur and the Nights of Justice. I think I only got to see a little less than 20 minutes of this show each day because I had to catch the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K6YGCSiwA

Also Captain Planet was awesome and it's pretty amazing seeing the modern GOP is literally Captain Planet villains.

Captain Planet was incredibly based and had the best ending theme ever.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I saw one of those new Ducktales episodes the other day and needless to say I was not impressed.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

super sweet best pal posted:

The episode with Badaxtra was the intended series finale, alongside the film. Genndy left after the film. The latter, bad, seasons were done by different folks, hence the dip in quality and change in artstyle.
I believe something similar happened with the Powerpuff Girls, too? Not even mentioning the recent reboot. But that the latter season(s) were done by a different showrunner and hence inferior in terms of both writing and animation.

EDIT: If you pitched NFTs or cryptocurrency in the Captain Planet writers room, they would have laughed you out of there for being hamfisted and unrealistic. "You're telling me the villain intends to set huge chunks of the planet on fire so that he and his friends can own pictures on a computer?"
"No, actually, they claim ownership, but they don't actually own the thing. It's like if I told you right now that I own the Mona Lisa but nothing else changed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Szyznyk posted:

I saw one of those new Ducktales episodes the other day and needless to say I was not impressed.
You have no soul.

in a later episode that takes place on the moon, they use a riff from this song.