Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Szyznyk posted:

I saw one of those new Ducktales episodes the other day and needless to say I was not impressed.

You don't actually like cartoons, you just like nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, Everquest Live was the best MMO ever, the non-existant QOL was paramount to the experience and the gameplay was beautiful in its simplicity!

*installs Everquest
*plays Everquest for 15 minutes
*uninstalls Everquest

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Here is the 1982 Incredible Hulk writer’s bible.

http://spider-friends.com/HULK1982/Memorabilia/multimedia/Hulk_bible.pdf

Unlike the prime time t e l e v i s i o n version, in the animated series the Hulk will not run or move quickly during action sequences (except when he leaps). On t h e contrary, an added degree of drama will be created by t h e heaviness of his movements. His motions will be relentless, unstoppable. And a far more frightening level of jeopardy will be a c h i e v e d by having the Hulk lumber slowly toward his victims, allowing them time to run away. But the Hulk will continue after them, b r e a k i n g through walls, impregnable fortresses, or rock caverns to reach them just when they start to feel safe.

If the Hulk were faced with a threatening army tank he would not simply grab it and toss it o.s. as we might see done in other shows. To heighten t h e drama we might see him stand fast, holding his massive a r m s out, letting the tank run into him and slam to a halt, cutting closer to see the treads grinding uselessly into the earth. we will take the time see the soldiers inside, r e a c t i n g as would any normal person to the incredible beast t h a t i s stopping their twenty ton tank bare handed. We might see t h e Hulk grab the barrel, slowly squeezing it in his hands, i t s metal groaning under the pressure of his enormous, g r e e n fingers. We would see the bystanders reacting in awe as the Hulk tears off the tank treads, pausing to look at them inquisitively, as might some wild animal who had never seen o n e before.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't actually like cartoons, you just like nostalgia.

I will continue to read my copies of the Carl Barks library and the duck voices will be the ones from the original. I’ve made peace with the fact I’m old and crusty.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I do like Moon Girl and the Devil Dinosaur though. My 10 year old was watching it.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

titties posted:

Remember Blackstar? Now that was a cool cartoon. Those classic Filmation mattes were amazing in a far future post apocalyptic style.

The premise was basically sword and sorcery buck rogers. I don't remember if the show was good but that poo poo had style.

Blackstar was dope. John Redcorn looking dude on a dragon. Cool alien sorceress lady. And that tribe of seven dwarfs-ish little pink dudes he lived with. One of them had huge ears that he could flap and fly around with. Looks like a bunch of full episodes are on YouTube.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Thinking about how sharply Dexter's Lab declined after the movie. Should've just ended it right there and had a perfect run.

I think the weirdest thing about late Dexter's Lab was how every time Mandark wasn't on the screen all the other characters were saying "where's Mandark?". Dude was in like 4 episodes in the original seasons.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

This is cool, thanks for sharing it

Wanna make a game out of excerpting writer’s bibles and guess what the franchise/show is.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up in the 70's. There were some great characters but lousy animation. Hong Kong Phooey, the OP Scooby Doo, Quick Draw McGraw, the Rocky and Bullwinkle show and the Flintstones on rerun. Thankfully there was a ton of WB cartoons every Saturday morning. I learned who Wendell Willkie was before I knew who Wendell Willkie was.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 20, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've brought this up at various times, but back in the 90s there was going to be another MTV animated series called "Toxic Foxx" about an 80s hair metal band trying to survive in the late 90s. It had a short mention in TV Guide and a very short band cameo in an episode of Celebrity Deathmatch, but the cartoon itself apparently never saw the light of day.

When I did some digging years ago the only thing I really found on it was an animator's resume from the 00s that listed they'd worked on it, but other than that, nothing.

I'm not even sure how 'lost media' this is. I've never seen it brought up anywhere by anyone in those lost media videos so it's possible NOTHING of note was ever produced except the Deathmatch episode and maybe some character model sheets or test animations, so there's nothing really out there to even find of it.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
I've always felt Batman Beyond was underappreciated.

https://youtu.be/ThInUu7Rg0g

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Batman Beyond is a show that would have died if released a decade later thanks to the power of the internet.

Late 90s or so when it was first announced, comic book fans were pissed with every aspect of it from the first word, to the first images, to the first few episodes. It was a show that really had to fight hard to win people over and I'm surprised that it did.

I can't remember if Return of the Joker having an 'edited' version is maybe what tipped the scales, though. Suddenly there was a more mature version of the film that was being denied fans by the studio and that galvanized the fandom into a more pro-Beyond stance to force the studio to release it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Genesplicer posted:

Johnny Quest was amazing. When I was a kid, anyway.

Clutch Cargo or gtfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQI_XjoSSY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

Batman Beyond is a show that would have died if released a decade later thanks to the power of the internet.

Late 90s or so when it was first announced, comic book fans were pissed with every aspect of it from the first word, to the first images, to the first few episodes. It was a show that really had to fight hard to win people over and I'm surprised that it did.

I can't remember if Return of the Joker having an 'edited' version is maybe what tipped the scales, though. Suddenly there was a more mature version of the film that was being denied fans by the studio and that galvanized the fandom into a more pro-Beyond stance to force the studio to release it.

It's still lol that Timm and Dini made that after being told to make a 'Batman in high school' show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Beyond had every reason to fail and the writing, tone, and VA work is probably on par with the splash that BtAS had in it's day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hell, it even had its own spinoff that imo was pretty good, though kinda funny that The Zeta Project has pretty much no connection to being in the DC universe besides the one episode where Batman shows up again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think they use Zeta-like bots as the hologram-grunts for training in JLU.

But yeah, that's about as far as it goes. Static Shock has more of a connection.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've brought this up at various times, but back in the 90s there was going to be another MTV animated series called "Toxic Foxx" about an 80s hair metal band trying to survive in the late 90s. It had a short mention in TV Guide and a very short band cameo in an episode of Celebrity Deathmatch, but the cartoon itself apparently never saw the light of day.

When I did some digging years ago the only thing I really found on it was an animator's resume from the 00s that listed they'd worked on it, but other than that, nothing.

I'm not even sure how 'lost media' this is. I've never seen it brought up anywhere by anyone in those lost media videos so it's possible NOTHING of note was ever produced except the Deathmatch episode and maybe some character model sheets or test animations, so there's nothing really out there to even find of it.

It's probably about as lost as the cartoon about Vince McMahon's rear end serving everyone a Thanksgiving turkey

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I wasn't a big fan of Clutch Cargo as a kid. The mouths and animation were just too off-putting for me. A couple of old-rear end cartoons I actually liked as a kid were Hercules and The Wizard of OZ. They're awful to watch now but they provided a few minutes of respite before going to school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brqnui9dV9o Wizard of OZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc85zmdoj68 The Mighty Hercules (In much better quality than I ever saw it as a kid)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Did anyone mention James Bond Junior yet?

When I was in elementary school I'd go over to a classmate's house for a bit before the bus came because her house was closer to the bus stop. I remember watching parts of this all the time before the bus came. I have no memory of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWexi-DWFQ

I don’t think I ever saw an episode but that theme was buried deep in my brain ty.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nuts and Gum posted:

I don’t think I ever saw an episode but that theme was buried deep in my brain ty.

All I remembered from it until I found and posted that video was "James Bond Jr chases sccUUUuuuummm.......... around the world. WEEEEEE ON THE ELECTRIC GUITAR"

edit: man, a lot of the 80-90s cartoon music was rockin'.

edit 2: that girl that I was waiting for the bus at her house was nasty. Her nose seemed to be constantly running and she'd take her whole hand and run it up her nose vertically to clear it. It was weird.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

It was a bit on the creepy side. The way the mouths moved was weird.

I remember watching "Mr. E, From Tau Ceti" If I'm not mistaken, this was originally some eastern European cartoon that was dubbed in English later on. It was released in the late 60s or early 70s. There were something like 20 episodes in the series, discussing various aspects of human history and related topics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgJIKAsXcVA

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

There's some surprisingly good animation in there for the time

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've mentioned this in other threads, so I'll go ahead and mention it here, too.

My brother and I got into the habit as kids of watching VHS tapes well past the end of the credits when we rented cartoons. After the credits there would be these unadvertised cartoons and programming after a few minutes. I don't know how we found this out, but it was pretty common from VHS tapes that were made in the early 80s to the mid-80s.

Years later, I came to assume that blank tapes were expensive and that some of the early VHS dubbing companies might have been reusing tapes and doing bulk recording. This would lead to tapes running at different lengths and either the 'master' or the 'copy' tape would end up this extra footage on them.

It seems like the basis of some analog horror story, but it was something we experienced and I don't know if anyone else had that happen to them or not growing up.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
On today's show, we'll be exploring Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates, Episode 26: Nibs and the Mermaids
(I get confused and call him Dibs the entire time.)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching "Rocky and Bullwinkle" is pretty fun since the writing is very funny, and the animators aren't ever quite sure where to draw Bullwinkle's mouth.

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 22, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

I've always felt Batman Beyond was underappreciated.

https://youtu.be/ThInUu7Rg0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Street Sharks

I'm sure I've seen it but I have no memory of it.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about tailspin the other day.

Was that the cartoon where they meet a bunch of panda's that were nice but then used balloon pagotas to invade the city?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ups_rail posted:

Was that the cartoon where they meet a bunch of panda's that were nice but then used balloon pagotas to invade the city?

Yep, that episode got pulled from reruns apparently.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why is it james bond jr if it's his nephew?

Seems scandalous.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Ups_rail posted:

No no no, they used the balloon pagodas to reenact Pearl Harbor, and Baloo beats them by destroying their home in a huge explosion

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Why is it james bond jr if it's his nephew?

Seems scandalous.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 22, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the other big things of 90s cartoons; incredible levels of Yellow Peril racism out of nowhere all of a sudden.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I watched some of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers on Disney+ a few months back and one of the first episodes involves a pair of Siamese twin cats operating out of a Chinese laundry and holy poo poo that did not age well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've mentioned this in other threads, so I'll go ahead and mention it here, too.
There was a whole thing about kids getting those "Cartoon Classics!" off-hand tapes that had poo poo like Fleischer Superman, Casper, Popeye where the tape run exceeded the content and the end would be like Cum Valley Sluts 69.

Howard Beale posted:

a pair of Siamese twin cats operating out of a Chinese laundry
Probably a throwback to the bit from Lady and the Tramp with Si and Am :2monocle:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the other big things of 90s cartoons; incredible levels of Yellow Peril racism out of nowhere all of a sudden.

weird since the cartoons were animated in japan and korea.

as far as I know the two most racist cartoons are this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK9ASh_v4E

And the evil that is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5cUpUT2ig

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The Ed, Edd, and Eddy Movie was the swansong of the 90s-2000s era of animation

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

Ups_rail posted:

as far as I know the two most racist cartoons are this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK9ASh_v4E

And the evil that is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5cUpUT2ig

I'm aware of the legacy of Charlie Chan, but Fat Albert was by Cosby and I thought it was supposed to be about representation?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

FYI there are a bunch of Turbo Teen full episodes on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ups_rail posted:

Honestly, that makes even more sense. Korea, Japan, and China have a kind of a trifecta of hatred going to this day. Korea in particular has been described as "the shrimp caught between two whales." So if you wanna take shots at China, your Korean and Japanese studios will likely be on board. Probably stick to Korea for the Japanese racism.