Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I realize everyone in movies wants to see people's faces, but man do people take off their helmets/face shields a lot in this one.

Kang seems really menacing and powerful until the script calls for him to not be, and then he's just a dude lasering individual peeps until ants just defeat him, and Scott punches him.

Scott could've grown big a hundred times to punch ships but only seems to remember he can do so for the finale.

A lot of dumb poo poo in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Boyega was alternating menacing and charismatic in Attack The Block. So like. He'd be a great fit for Kang. Can't judge a man by the big budget shite he's been in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean the actor is 26 but the character is 18.

She just doesn't look like a teenager, she's an adult woman. I mean I know that's the case in so much media (eg: grease) but because we've seen this person in 2 other films it doesn't fit for me at all.

Von Linus posted:

Boyega was alternating menacing and charismatic in Attack The Block. So like. He'd be a great fit for Kang. Can't judge a man by the big budget shite he's been in.

He's loving great in the Woman King

davidspackage posted:

Scott could've grown big a hundred times to punch ships but only seems to remember he can do so for the finale.

I THINK that his "I don't want to interfere" was the reason he wasn't doing this in the attack on that village.
Not to say the film isn't absolutely chocablock with weird plot holes but I feel like that's what they were doing there

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Taear posted:

I THINK that his "I don't want to interfere" was the reason he wasn't doing this in the attack on that village.
Not to say the film isn't absolutely chocablock with weird plot holes but I feel like that's what they were doing there

Yeah they had a thread of him wanting to avoid getting involved in anything now that people know he's the starting point of Avengers Endgame's stuff even being able to happen and enjoying the celebrity from that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do Kang’s eyes glow when he lasers people? His power is from his suit and he’s a normal human I thought.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I truly have no idea what Kang’s powers are or where they’re from. Like, he has super-technology, but IS that all it is? Where did he get the tech? Did he build it?

Maybe they explained all of it in exposition I didn’t care about. I’m not that interested in revisiting Quantumania to find out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do Kang’s eyes glow when he lasers people? His power is from his suit and he’s a normal human I thought.

I another thread the opposite questions are asked of why Darkseid needs special omega beam gloves when he can kill people with beams by just looking at them.

Kang's powers in general aren't really clear as much in the movie beyond just "he has advanced technology so he can do whatever". I do think there's a general idea that this particular Kang's "stuff" is all built around keeping people away from him. He's a regular dude with a suit and maybe like cybernetic implants or whatever to do some stuff, I think we've already put more thought into it than the people who made the movie did (and I say this as someone who enjoyed it overall).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A big thing is because Marvel likes to keep their options open and don't really plan things out or make firm decisions during the creative process we may never know what the full extent of Kang's powers are or the details of them.

I imagine how it works is he's from the future, has access to loads of future tech, access to also alternate timeline tech from working with or stealing the technology of other Kangs and other alternate versions of the Avengers (I'm still holding to my head cannon that to this particular Kang, the Ant-Man he's aware of is Hank, not Scott, which was probably something He Who Remains setup for just this moment).

From Loki Season 1 I think its also clear that any Kang is basically an accomplished Inventor/Scientist in their own right; and by working together they briefly had a technological golden age before it collapsed due to the strife and ambition of other Kang's destabilizing this accord.

I haven't read the comics so I can see it maybe as him having a Batman-esque level of prepardness in having basically any technology he needs to defeat a particular match up of Avengers in a straight up fight; and the point of this movie is to show how dangerous a Kang can be at their weakest and lowest point.

I think in a way he's kinda like a darker mirror to Tony? Tony had years in which to tinker and improve his suit to handle any threat based on lessons learned; Kang has that but also the advantage of thousands of years of hindsight; tens of thousands of alternate timelines and so on to refine his technology to handle any threat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I do like that aspect of the character that how every time he's defeated that defeat instantly becomes like an ancient historical event another Kang(s) can analyze at length on how it turned out that way. I remember him being a really bleak character/concept on that level because IIRC in "our" timeline/earth 616 or whatever it's called, in the 37th century he is the definitive absolute ruler of all known space.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 25, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are you guys telling me it’s ambiguous where Kang’s powers come from? I thought his Thing was that he was Tony Stark but born in the future where technology has become so advance that it’s “indistinguishable from magic.”

Tony Stark has a suit that can idk, turn into a giant fist to punch something just from Tony willing it to happen didn’t he? Thought Kang’s suit was just like that but better.

E: I’m just wondering why his eyes were glowing

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 25, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Neo Rasa posted:

I do like that aspect of the character that how every time he's defeated that defeat instantly becomes like an ancient historical event another Kang(s) can analyze at length on how it turned out that way. I remember him being a really bleak character/concept on that level because IIRC in "our" timeline/earth 616 or whatever it's called, in the 37th century he is the definitive absolute ruler of all known space.

In our reality he's just known for DV apparently, :negative:

Hopefully this gets sussed out, but I think even if he gets cleared there's no way this doesn't follow him anyway. I'm fully prepared for marvel's poochy title card in terms of Kang in other things. Just have galactus eat him mid villain monologuing ala Deep Blue Sea

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kang’s defining characteristic is that there are millions of variants of him across the multiverse. He’s extremely recast-able because they’ve already established in Loki that alternate Lokis don’t need to look anything like Tom Hiddleston.

Just cast some other people. Multiple others, even. As long as they’re vaguely identifiable as a Kang, it’ll be fine.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Xealot posted:

Kang’s defining characteristic is that there are millions of variants of him across the multiverse. He’s extremely recast-able because they’ve already established in Loki that alternate Lokis don’t need to look anything like Tom Hiddleston.

Just cast some other people. Multiple others, even. As long as they’re vaguely identifiable as a Kang, it’ll be fine.

All leading up to Denzel as King Kang or whoever they face in Secret Wars.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Has there been any Kang stories where the premise was "well if A Kang is going to end up supreme ruler, we might as well make sure its the least terrible one"

I assumed that was where they were going with Iron Lad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

All leading up to Denzel as King Kang or whoever they face in Secret Wars.

Another Denzel will insist that King Kang ain't got poo poo on him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gavok posted:

Another Denzel will insist that King Kang ain't got poo poo on him.

Training Day but it's a young upstart Kang being shown the ropes by one of the older Kangs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Training Day but it's a young upstart Kang being shown the ropes by one of the older Kangs.
aka that one episode of Rick and Morty

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you guys telling me it’s ambiguous where Kang’s powers come from? I thought his Thing was that he was Tony Stark but born in the future where technology has become so advance that it’s “indistinguishable from magic.”

Tony Stark has a suit that can idk, turn into a giant fist to punch something just from Tony willing it to happen didn’t he? Thought Kang’s suit was just like that but better.

E: I’m just wondering why his eyes were glowing

Kang #839171937 thought it looked cool and all the other Kangs were like, yes indeed it does.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

Kang #839171937 thought it looked cool and all the other Kangs were like, yes indeed it does.

The first conquest of every Kang is lookin' dope. Gotta get the blue tinge, the glowy eyes, maybe a tweed suit from the 1890s for that retro look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh, it's far more dumb than that.

First he was a future descendant of Doctor Doom.

Then he was Reed Richards previously unmentioned half-sibling.

Then he was Reed Richards previously unmentioned time traveling dad.

Then he was Reed Richards previously unmentioned half-sibling who was named after Reed Richards previously unmentioned time traveling dad, who was later adopted by Doctor Doom.