Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WfTEZJnv_8

Official Disney Summary: Superhero partners Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) return to continue their adventures as Ant-Man and the Wasp. Together, with Hope’s parents Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and Janet Van Dyne (Michelle Pfeiffer), and Scott’s daughter Cassie Lang (Kathryn Newton), the family finds themselves exploring the Quantum Realm, interacting with strange new creatures and embarking on an adventure that will push them beyond the limits of what they thought possible.

Taking advantage of Paul Rudd as the most skilled comedic performer in the MCU, Marvel is using Quantumania to introduce the franchise's next overarching villain—Kang the Conqueror as played by Jonathan Majors (who appeared as an alternate-universe version of the character called He Who Remains in the Loki streaming series)—in a massive special-effects extravaganza.

Director Peyton Reed (Bring It On, Down with Love) returns from the previous two entries in the Ant-Man series.

Primary Cast
Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne / Wasp
Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror
Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne
Michael Douglas as Hank Pym
Kathryn Newton as Cassie Lang
David Dastmalchian as Veb
William Jackson Harper as Quaz
Katy O'Brian as Jentorra
Bill Murray as Krylar

The film fully releases February 17, 2023 with the usual Thursday "previews" starting on the 16th.

Some reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, where it sits at 58% on the afternoon of February 14th:

Negative

"What a chore this so-called entertainment is!"
– Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

"Majors is certainly chilling and captivating, but Kang seems like a mismatched foe for a standalone Ant-Man film and the result is a Quantumania that is trying to be too many things."
– Lindsey Bahr, Associated Press

"Both a dispiriting reminder that the MCU has abandoned wit and that even the most clever and idiosyncratic of filmmakers can be steamrolled by the unstoppable obligations of corporate storytelling."
Barry Hertz, Globe and Mail

Positive

"Some really great stuff here - especially in the first half - from Rudd, Pfeiffer & Majors. But then the film totally falls apart, crushed under the weight of being asked to do too much for the franchise."
– Grace Randolph, Beyond the Trailer

"While brimming with imagination thanks to environmental Quantum designs, Quantumania doesn't escape feeling like a layover between major franchise destinations."
– Matt Donato, What To Watch

"Though the stakes feel lackluster, and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania trudges along at times rather than galloping at a clip, Marvel’s goodwill might make the film worthwhile."
– DarkSkyLady, Boss Level Gamer

"Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is a mess of a film that fails to capture the things that made the first two films great and chooses instead to spend its entire two-hour runtime setting up for later payoffs."
– Kaitlyn Booth, Bleeding Cool

Please use spoiler tags for this thread for the first couple of weeks to allow people who don't watch it opening weekend to have the opportunity to see some spoiler-free discussion. Spoiler-tag-free posting can begin on March 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
they should have kept the original logo

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mods, please change the thread title to Ant-Man and the Wasp: Ooωõ|o%|oõ|oΦõ

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

55% currently after 122 reviews https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ant_man_and_the_wasp_quantumania Second-lowest of the MCU (Eternals was 47%)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I can’t believe a movie called “Ant Man And The Wasp Quantumania”, which is apparently about genocide, isn’t good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Remember when Edgar Wright was gonna direct Ant-Man?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
All I care about is how bad the modok face CGI is, because there's no way it isn't hilariously goofy and I am here for it.

jonathon majors better be getting bank for attaching himself to a decade of these

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alexa show big fart

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh my god. :lol:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

lmao

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah, that's the stuff

e: somehow i'm more excited for it knowing it's going to be balls than the usual expecting it to be balls but maybe deep down hoping it isn't somehow..you know this is a pile of poo poo when even the positive reviews are still half damning...the loving box pull quotes for this one are going to be "Antman 3...is..a..movie."- NY Times Film Review

e2: for anyone worried about spoilers, click that picture anyway, it's nothing major considering they showed this particular reveal in all the trailers already..and there's no way that poo poo isn't going to be a meme everywhere anyway

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 15, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

What the fuuuuuuck

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have more

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

> Ooωõ|o%|oõ|oΦõ what's this?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BBC running a headline with literally "This is the worst one yet". That loving stings.

I'll be seeing it on thursday.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

incoherent posted:

BBC running a headline with literally "This is the worst one yet". That loving stings.

I'll be seeing it on thursday.

It stings because Ant-Man 1 and 2 were fun movies with an interesting storyline but it apparently lost the series Russian roulette.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

teagone posted:

Hot take: he has quietly sucked after peaking with Hot Fuzz.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Hot take: he has quietly sucked after peaking with Hot Fuzz.

I will not accept any World's End or Scott Pilgram slander.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do think his strongest work is Hot Fuzz.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

I do think his strongest work is Hot Fuzz.

It absolutely is, but I prefer to rewatch Shaun of the Dead more often than not.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wright + Pegg >> just Wright

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

teagone posted:

They've brought on Bill Pope (who shot World's End, Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver) to do (phone in) the cinematography

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 16, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For self-flagellation reasons I need to share this clip with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYr2vZzz7OA

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

lmao

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
MODOK was one of those characters that was seriously so goofy I thought it could never be adapted.

Marvel Studios couldn't even do that and that is really saying something.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

please don't doxx me

i didnt ask to be born this way

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ccs posted:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

Large Brainlad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

All this just looks like someone did a size transform in photoshop, lmao. Couldn't they at least have done prosthetics like, brundle fly'd him up a bit?

I don't know if it could ever be pulled off in live action, but I can only imagine how much better it would look as a full size physical puppet with some weight to it being a giant face, and not just the stretch tool digitally farted on top.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ok so I saw this earlier today and laughed but now looking at it again it’s like what the gently caress lmfao. what is going ON

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even this game looks better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd3xlv7A8EY

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MODOK was one of the few things that game got right

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ccs posted:

three guys with meter-long guns lightly jogging up to ant-man so he can kick them in the face

nit-picking the filmmaking process can get boorish but they should really have come up with somewhere other than "inexplicable battlefield clearing" for this to take place

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

josh04 posted:

nit-picking the filmmaking process can get boorish but they should really have come up with somewhere other than "inexplicable battlefield clearing" for this to take place

Pointing out the seven million issues with that clip wouldn't be nitpicking, it would be teaching the first day of Film 101.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ccs posted:

Every MCU hero in their last movie where they star, has to have a kid version of them now that has to roll eyes at them every 5 minutes.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Tom Guycot posted:

All this just looks like someone did a size transform in photoshop, lmao. Couldn't they at least have done prosthetics like, brundle fly'd him up a bit?

I don't know if it could ever be pulled off in live action, but I can only imagine how much better it would look as a full size physical puppet with some weight to it being a giant face, and not just the stretch tool digitally farted on top.

Doctor Who was able to do a big animatronic head in 2005 on a BBC budget so I think Disney could have pulled that off if they actually gave a poo poo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
im confused on the thread title are you saying the movie isn't good or genocide isn't good? cuz I'm in agreement on both

that clip looks like dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
You know the critical faculties of the general audience are seriously broken when you see people commenting "this looks so good" after watching that clip