Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

golden bubble posted:

The blue ray extras show that at some point they were going for exactly that sort of dynamic. But then something changed, this scene got cut, and Zeus was drastically rewritten. Because there's no way the final cut version of Zeus could fit with this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgNCRN9hlI

Weakening the themes and narrative of their movie in order to set up game pieces on the franchise board is the MCU way.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

golden bubble posted:

The blue ray extras show that at some point they were going for exactly that sort of dynamic. But then something changed, this scene got cut, and Zeus was drastically rewritten. Because there's no way the final cut version of Zeus could fit with this scene.

What in the world?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked how Love and Thunder turned out and yeah that's way better lol what the hell

Also I kind of feel like they should have just had super unfinished cgi like that instead too, it's funnier lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

It would have been nice if Thor let them know after the snap that they could just go really far into space and wish for everyone to be back.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

It would have been nice if Thor let them know after the snap that they could just go really far into space and wish for everyone to be back.

I think there's a pretty reasonable explanation in that going to that being is probably not a very good idea, its meddling with forces beyond your understanding, better to keep it sealed away.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I don't think Thor knew the Bifrost was the key to reaching Eternity. He only recently got the ability to utilize it himself in Infinity War.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's a pretty reasonable explanation in that going to that being is probably not a very good idea, its meddling with forces beyond your understanding, better to keep it sealed away.

much more responsible to go really far into space and wish for a speed boat

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eternity my one wish is that you weren't so far away jesus christ

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

much more responsible to go really far into space and wish for a speed boat

Jet Ski.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

golden bubble posted:

Oh come on. That was so much better than what we got. Goddammit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mastajake posted:

Also makes the part where Thor tells the kids they all have super powers and all their toys are super powered and stuff make more sense.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can only assume its because Hercules is a big deal (well, a deal) in the comics and apparently one of Thor's main rivals to boot, so they probably didn't want his dad overshadowing something they probably want to build up more later on.

We'll, uh, see how that turns out given what's going on with Chris Hemsworth and just, in general, the less-than-stellar response the movie got. They could quietly chuck that post-credits scene in a dumpster with the Inhumans and nobody would likely ever notice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mastajake posted:

It really stupendously was, a scene full of heart and sincerity mercifully uninterrupted by quips or gags. Instead we got a complete joke of a Zeus in a complete joke of a movie.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Saw Quantumania this weekend. Honestly I enjoyed it - it wasn't anything special, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would based upon the review ratings.

Also, I want to see the Type 2 society ants again, because just the idea/description of them loving ruled. Given that King had earlier talked about all Ant-man does is "talk to ants" or whatever, I also really enjoyed the moment when Kang and Hank are basically starting at each other as the ants are coming in to gently caress poo poo up.

Edit: Also, I know the general consensus is that Kang the Conqueror died at the end, I honestly wonder if he simply was shrunk further down/etc., like the power cord had been, and thus could still be alive and somewhere in a probability storm or such...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 7, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Edit: Also, I know the general consensus is that Kang the Conqueror died at the end, I honestly wonder if he simply was shrunk further down/etc., like the power cord had been, and thus could still be alive and somewhere in a probability storm or such...

The Kang controlled Time Variance Authority in the next Loki season would be the most obvious device to bring him back if they decide to go that route

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SourKraut posted:

Saw Quantumania this weekend. Honestly I enjoyed it - it wasn't anything special, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would based upon the review ratings.

Also, I want to see the Type 2 society ants again, because just the idea/description of them loving ruled. Given that King had earlier talked about all Ant-man does is "talk to ants" or whatever, I also really enjoyed the moment when Kang and Hank are basically starting at each other as the ants are coming in to gently caress poo poo up.

I loved the scifi ants, I just adore the idea and is also one of my game project ideas I've even got concept art for.

It'd be interesting if the Kang that "died" was who originally became "He Who Remains" from Loki; technically though AFAIK except for like the Pharoah Kang and Immortis? They're all technically "the Conqueror" I think? That's just what they do, they use their time travel future technology to conquer the past sorta?

I think Kang's whole concept is there's basically always a Kang that can threaten you no matter how or if you defeat him, like Zamasu/Goku Black from DBZ. So whether this Kang died or isn't actually dead probably doesn't/won't be relevant?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I loved the scifi ants, I just adore the idea and is also one of my game project ideas I've even got concept art for.

It'd be interesting if the Kang that "died" was who originally became "He Who Remains" from Loki; technically though AFAIK except for like the Pharoah Kang and Immortis? They're all technically "the Conqueror" I think? That's just what they do, they use their time travel future technology to conquer the past sorta?

I think Kang's whole concept is there's basically always a Kang that can threaten you no matter how or if you defeat him, like Zamasu/Goku Black from DBZ. So whether this Kang died or isn't actually dead probably doesn't/won't be relevant?

Given the AM&W:Q post-credits scenes, that seems to be the vibe they're going for. Kang (the Kangs?) seems to be his/their own version of the HYDRA maxim of "Cut one head off and (at least) two more will take its place."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SourKraut posted:

You know how they had the arena full of Kang's? And how in the probability storm you split into possibilities of yourself? Now imagine a very angry af Kang trapped in that multiverse engine probability storm.

He's gonna be put in that arena by the other Kang's to die and he's gonna laugh at them all and say "You think this is my first Kang Battle Royale?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

You know how they had the arena full of Kang's? And how in the probability storm you split into possibilities of yourself? Now imagine a very angry af Kang trapped in that multiverse engine probability storm.

He's gonna be put in that arena by the other Kang's to die and he's gonna laugh at them all and say "You think this is my first Kang Battle Royale?"

He lost that though. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Are "Type 2 Society Ants" a thing from the comics or was there like some copyright reason they couldn't say the ants were a Phase IV life form lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcs3_b3VXSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7wotKNaj_s

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 8, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Are "Type 2 Society Ants" a thing from the comics or was there like some copyright reason they couldn't say the ants were a Phase IV life form lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcs3_b3VXSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7wotKNaj_s

Pretty sure it's a reference to the Kardashev scale.

A Type 2 Civilization is one that utilizes the entire power output of their sun or sun-equivalent. In short, these ants have the energy
usage/production on par with an entire sun captured by a Dyson sphere.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raenir Salazar posted:

He lost that though. :v:

Did he? Was the thing about sabotaging his ship that they stuck him in there and sent him to the quantum realm? Thought it was something more subtle from how it was presented.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

Did he? Was the thing about sabotaging his ship that they stuck him in there and sent him to the quantum realm? Thought it was something more subtle from how it was presented.

Yeah. The conclave of Kang's were the ones who exiled him by sabotaging his ship.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

golden bubble posted:

agreed with the other responses. so much better than what we got.
fit much more with the original trailer too, which a more serious life searching journey.

instead of the light gag reel we got down playing Thor's conflicts as jokes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah. The conclave of Kang's were the ones who exiled him by sabotaging his ship.

Yea but it wasn't a Doom style arena fight. Unless there's some extended cut I didn't see.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

one of the signs the script and directing is boring and robotic.

I found the daughter character to be totally boring and a drag in every scene she's in. Don't even remember her name, and don't think they even namedropped a hero name for her.

And then compare her in Detective Pikachu and how animated and fun her acting was

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1639787642241024002

https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/25/jonathan-majors-arrested-assault-woman-nyc-new-york/

quote:

Jonathan Majors was arrested in New York City this weekend -- and, according to police, he's being accused of putting hands on a woman ... but Jon's team is calling BS.

Law enforcement sources tell us the actor was booked Saturday morning on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment. We're told cops responded to a call for service around 11 AM ET near the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan.

We're told the alleged victim in this case, a female, relayed to police that Majors had gotten into a dispute with her and proceeded to attack her. Their exact relationship is unknown.

Our sources tell us the alleged victim had visible injuries -- including a laceration behind her ear, redness and marks to her face. She was taken to an area hospital and is in stable condition. As for Majors ... he was cuffed and taken to jail on the spot, as police felt there was enough evidence for probable cause. We're hearing he is currently out of custody.

Emphasis mine. If the sources are true (and TMZ is usually reliable, aren't they?) then jesus christ.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kang also felt he did nothing wrong so he's very in character. Super method.

Sorry. This is really terrible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
No kang dynasty now. Lol

Unless they replace him fast with I dunno, don cheadle? He still up for mcu movies?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MariusLecter posted:

No kang dynasty now. Lol

Unless they replace him fast with I dunno, don cheadle? He still up for mcu movies?

Armor Wars sure hopes so

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God dammit. He's so loving talented, and the performance makes Kang work/exciting. What a bummer to flush it all away.

None of the details there paint a hopeful picture, in particular that they're just citing her being "emotional". Cause lord knows when your close friends are being emotional, you just have to cause visible wounds to them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
A bunch of people in the NY Theater and Film circle are saying this isn't a surprise and that he has always been quick to anger and abusive. Big ol Yikes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

He literally became Kang

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Watched this the other night - thought it was kinda ok after having my expectations set VERY low. Being mentally prepared for MODOK was a big help.

The movie didn’t take it self seriously at all, which was the right approach. And I appreciated the take-away message of “Don’t be a dick.”

Was a bit lame that this big new scary baddie was taken out by a much of ants, but I guess they were super-advanced badass ants. And if he was originally tricked by the other Kangs and exiled then maybe he wasn’t so tough?

I liked the take of “White family harass a successful black man in his own home.”

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I watched Ant Man 3 with the family last night. I didn't hate it, my wife liked the backdrops and all that, thought it was pretty. My kids liked the ants well enough. They really should be doing ant man shrinking things so they look like toys though. It's kind of charming when that happens.

Paul Rudd looks old now. I hope people quit with the 'He doesn't age!' fucker looks haggard.

I did really like the ending (playing welcome back and Scott obviously being unable to deal with everything that happened and was going to happen), and I didn't hate MODOK. It was fine. It would look weird in any case. a big old thumbs in the middle for me.

Oh and I'm not saying I want Kang actor back but he was good in this, sensitive, intelligent, powerful, all that. Shame he's very possibly a piece of poo poo. I hope they do a great recasting. I'd spend a few million or however much redoing the second post credits to get in some different people to be Kangs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Finally saw this yesterday, ended up enjoying it a lot since my expectations so low after Love & Thunder. I was so hype to see more version(s) of Kang in each flick because of Majors' performance but hopefully they recast the role (easy given the nature of the character) but keep the same concept going.

Or maybe even have a different actor play him each time. Whatever gets Majors the gently caress out of there ASAP. gently caress that guy.

I liked the John Carter-esque feel of Jentorra (?) and her folks and them drinking the ooze to understand each other and stuff. The design of everything just really clicked with me so I was able to forgive a lot.

Reusing Darren the way they did was great in concept but the writing around it and the effect of his face was even worse than I expected lol

Pacing in the beginning was weird and repetitive from Michelle refusing to explain anything for so long. It felt like the Netflix Marvel shows where they were trying to stretch like 9 episodes worth of story into 13.

Hank's ants coming back owned.

I liked Hank being proud of saving $8 by ordering the personal size pizza and then enlarging it.

I hated that we didn't get more thieving creativity from Scott in the movie's climax. Like instead of them just brawling with each other have Scott pull a Willow or a Thief: The Dark Project and switch the core out or do some other sneaky thing to overcome him instead of him just being beaten close enough to the core to get hosed up.

So like a lot of MCU flicks I enjoyed it a lot but will never watch it again.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked Hank being proud of saving $8 by ordering the personal size pizza and then enlarging it.

I like it even more if his Pym Particles cost something to make, to the point where he spent money to do his little trick and is still happy about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mastajake posted:

I like it even more if his Pym Particles cost something to make, to the point where he spent money to do his little trick and is still happy about it.

In my headcannon he has a youtube channel about all these money saving lifehacks but no one can do them because at some point in the middle of each one of the steps is to "so just spin up some more pym particles in your quantum-grade super collider and..."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Too bad Christopher Plummer isnt here to take the mantle of Kang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

Too bad Christopher Plummer isnt here to take the mantle of Kang

(George Lazenby in full Kang garb getting ripped apart by robot Spider-Man clones) "This always happens to the other fellows in the future"