Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

Too bad Christopher Plummer isnt here to take the mantle of Kang

This would have been a better joke if you said Michael Ansara, since he did play Kang in three episodes of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

so like Scott gets the 'headaches' for growing super big in this movie as well

but isn't he just really really small? Isn't it just him going from really really small to really small. In the grand scale, he didn't really change his size that much.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GateOfD posted:

so like Scott gets the 'headaches' for growing super big in this movie as well

but isn't he just really really small? Isn't it just him going from really really small to really small. In the grand scale, he didn't really change his size that much.

I think that part of the quantum realm they're in isn't actually "small" but is a kinda dimension that's disconnected from the timeline and going through the quantum realm is how they reach it?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Guess this is when I'll finally see this one. First film in the entire franchise I didn't bother seeing in a theater (to be fair, the more immediate reason for that was that I was preparing to move to a new apartment when it opened, but the reviews sure didn't help)

https://twitter.com/AntMan/status/1651602107907096578

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think that part of the quantum realm they're in isn't actually "small" but is a kinda dimension that's disconnected from the timeline and going through the quantum realm is how they reach it?

That's my head-canon too if for no other reason than it helps solve the "how is there food/water/oxygen" bits.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gatts posted:

Too bad Christopher Plummer isnt here to take the mantle of Kang

Is it weird that I kinda want them to give it to Boyega as a sort of "sorry we hosed you over" from Disney

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ElectricSheep posted:

Is it weird that I kinda want them to give it to Boyega as a sort of "sorry we hosed you over" from Disney

Not really, plus Boyega would likely do a good job with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everyone posted:

Not really, plus Boyega would likely do a good job with it.

Yeah that would actually be a great choice if they went that route.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

That’d be an interesting tension, because he comes off as extremely affable in every role I’ve seen him in, so doing something menacing would be fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This movie was so bad. I'm not generally a huge fan of Marvel flicks, nor do I tend to watch them for any substantial content. Sometimes you just want a visually-stimulating spectacle. This is the first time in a while that I've turned off a movie halfway through, but as soon as fleshy MODOK showed up, I checked out.

To be honest, I really just wanted to see what was up with the character who looked like he had a lamp for a head.
Pixar-mascot-lookin'-rear end superhero.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mister Speaker posted:

To be honest, I really just wanted to see what was up with the character who looked like he had a lamp for a head.
Pixar-mascot-lookin'-rear end superhero.

I have some bad news about lamp head...

ElectricSheep posted:

I vote Stephanie Hsu for Kang. She's already killed it as a multiversal villain, don't even need to audition.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
drat this was a bad movie. I was trying to multitask anything else so I didn't have to sit and watch it straight.

It's not as painful of a butchery as Thor Love and Thunder's adaption was (I haven't even bothered to see Ant-Man 2) but it's not doing anybody favours. This MODOK especially sucks and was a waste. Everybody except Jonathan Majors phoned it in and now he's the worst.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I did like the strong grandpa energy Michael Douglas was throwing off as Hank. You know he kind of liked Cassie shrinking police cars.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I wonder what’s wrong with Kamala Khan, she’s a teenager in the MCU but isn’t a tech genius.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just seen it. Not as bad as it could have been, but I can't help but think the MCU needs to remember less can be more. Not every film should be entire worlds fighting a world-ending apocalypse.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just seen it. Not as bad as it could have been, but I can't help but think the MCU needs to remember less can be more. Not every film should be entire worlds fighting a world-ending apocalypse.

Being the 3rd Ant-Man film though I think its fair if its that sort of conflict after the relatively much lower stakes of the first and second films; but yes overall I agree.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Well, I didn’t hate this but the change in tone from ‘Drink the goo!’ to ‘I will execute your daughter’ didn’t work. They could have gotten away with a goofy adventure in bizarro land (which I thought looked a lot less like sludge than in the trailers).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's funny how Katy O'Brian keeps showing up in Disney productions.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Shneak posted:

drat this was a bad movie. I was trying to multitask anything else so I didn't have to sit and watch it straight.

It's not as painful of a butchery as Thor Love and Thunder's adaption was (I haven't even bothered to see Ant-Man 2) but it's not doing anybody favours. This MODOK especially sucks and was a waste. Everybody except Jonathan Majors phoned it in and now he's the worst.

Weirdly enough Ant-Man 2 is one of my favorite MCU movies. It has what everyone says they want. An extremely low stakes side-adventure with consistent silly tone. And inventive uses of Ant-Man's powers.

Something Antman 3 completely forgot. Like I really feel it was a Kang movie first and any hero could've been slotted in. He barely does any fun ant stuff

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Thundercracker posted:

Weirdly enough Ant-Man 2 is one of my favorite MCU movies. It has what everyone says they want. An extremely low stakes side-adventure with consistent silly tone. And inventive uses of Ant-Man's powers.

Something Antman 3 completely forgot. Like I really feel it was a Kang movie first and any hero could've been slotted in. He barely does any fun ant stuff

I just watched it on Disney plus, and it was a slog. I guess the issue is that there are no lasting effects of note to the movie. We already know that there is a multiverse full of Kangs and they are all terrible from the Loki series. This movie killed one of thousands/millions of Kangs and the heros got out of the situation with no real after effects. So in the end, why does the movie matter?

Antman comes away with the same cheery disposition he started with. I guess his daughter is now a tech genius/pym particle master? Maybe the type ii civilization ants become important later? However, they are currently stuck in the quantum realm.

It's just kind of there.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Internet Savant posted:

I just watched it on Disney plus, and it was a slog. I guess the issue is that there are no lasting effects of note to the movie. We already know that there is a multiverse full of Kangs and they are all terrible from the Loki series. This movie killed one of thousands/millions of Kangs and the heros got out of the situation with no real after effects. So in the end, why does the movie matter?

Antman comes away with the same cheery disposition he started with. I guess his daughter is now a tech genius/pym particle master? Maybe the type ii civilization ants become important later? However, they are currently stuck in the quantum realm.

It's just kind of there.

I didn't mind that aspect of it, kind of the whole theme was ant-man being a regular sorta dude (look out for the little guy lol) who was thrust into avenger level poo poo but otherwise just a dad. The movie played the stakes pretty well, despite being a typically low stakes goofball he is still avengers level by his commitment to doing the right thing and his choice to sacrifice himself. He even is committed to helping the bizarre people of this tiny alien world (again, look out for the little guy). And then at the end everything goes back to normal for him but they still have that "Hmmm could this mean really bad poo poo could happen?", but instead of going full Tony stark he just keeps whistling and enjoying the day.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

AMATW is the most watchable MCU movie. It's not quite a hangout comedy but it's similar. And thenthey dumped Luis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Ant-Man 2 and Spider-Man: No Way Home is also the only MCU movies that states that it's worth the effort to rehabilitate villains.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My main memory of AMATW is that the rules they introduce regarding Janet's time in the Quantum Realm are really dramatically inert and are completely retconned by Endgame and Quantumania. Like, the film makes it clear that she's aged in real time and is constantly aware of everything that's happening on the surface, when it would have made a lot more sense and been much more impactful if she surfaced having thought she was only gone for five minutes. Then again, that probably would have cost a bomb in de-aging technology and they'd have to think of a way for her to age into the age Michelle Pfiffer actually is at some point (maybe she gives her life to Ghost to stop whatever her problem was? Idk I'm posting on my lunch break).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Adrianics posted:

My main memory of AMATW is that the rules they introduce regarding Janet's time in the Quantum Realm are really dramatically inert and are completely retconned by Endgame and Quantumania. Like, the film makes it clear that she's aged in real time and is constantly aware of everything that's happening on the surface, when it would have made a lot more sense and been much more impactful if she surfaced having thought she was only gone for five minutes. Then again, that probably would have cost a bomb in de-aging technology and they'd have to think of a way for her to age into the age Michelle Pfiffer actually is at some point (maybe she gives her life to Ghost to stop whatever her problem was? Idk I'm posting on my lunch break).

Yeah like the rules for how things work change all the time in comics and I don't really have a problem with that in comics or in movies depending on the exeuction. But here to go from one movie to its direct sequel and have it be that inconsistent with none of the characters noticing it really stands out.

Even if they just had like one line of techno-babble like "oh yeah [dumb radiation name] from Kang's [advanced science stuff forcefield or whatever it was shielding his capital] in his part of the quantum realm caused me to age weirdly".

It's less that an explanation is needed that's "realistic" and more like it stood out that characters like Hank especially wouldn't notice something was off with how things worked previously.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Adrianics posted:

She's too good for these movies honestly. Look at what she has to work with..

On the plus anytime anyone wants any details about a situation I'm going full Janet; "I can't talk about that right now" "Things..happened" "Let's not think about this" "We'll catch up later" and then a smoke-bomb out for good measure.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Finally got around to seeing this now that its on Disney+, and god drat was this a boring rear end slog of a movie. Even my partner, who is really forgiving of MCU poo poo, asked to check the run time half way through. Antman's entire gimmick of big thing small and small thing big is completely gone when your film takes place in a contextless cgi nothingscape. And the lack of Michael Pena is stark. What a bummer of a film.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Yeah, it wasn't great.

I do give it credit for a couple of things:
1)They got down to business basically instantly. They're down in the MacGuffin realm in like 20 minutes.
2) Unlike Multiverse of Madness, they did live up to the title, at least. They got to the weird stuff fast and didn't let up.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

zer0spunk posted:

She's too good for these movies honestly. Look at what she has to work with..

On the plus anytime anyone wants any details about a situation I'm going full Janet; "I can't talk about that right now" "Things..happened" "Let's not think about this" "We'll catch up later" and then a smoke-bomb out for good measure.

Janet's constant "there's no time" was like the rake scene in The Simpsons, after a while the repetition of it became really funny, like Janet my dude time works differently here, you have nothing but time

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Adrianics posted:

It's simple, the place Janet is hanging out in time passes normally; the place Scott was lost in is not the same place, but is the place your transit through to get to the place Janet was that was the main setting for this film.

Currently I've headcannoned it as "Inner Quantum Realm" vs "Outer Quantum Realm".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My main issue with the story is how small it all feels somehow (not in the way it should do)
We see Kang's big city but there barely seems to be anyone there. The rebels are winning until Kang PERSONALLY turns up and lasers them a bit, then they're not. Because there's like 30 of them.

I feel like us having seen the flashbacks Janet had also kinda don't make sense. How's she got that amazing lab down there she can fix Kang's poo poo up with? Also she specifically says she was alone until she met Kang so what I was expecting is that the destruction of Kang's ship/power would create all the other life in the realm but nope. She just never went to look I guess?

Scott's kid being 26 felt weird as poo poo to me too, as far as I'm concerned the last time I saw her she was like 15?

While I thought everyone's performances were good and generally I enjoyed the look of the whole thing it just felt really loving weird to me. Rings of Power style where the cement linking the scenes together is absolutely riddled with holes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Taear posted:

Rings of Power style where the cement linking the scenes together is absolutely riddled with holes

I was legit about to post a link to the Canadian TV cut of Rock 'N Rule (initially released in the US as Rings of Power) until I realized what thing you meant lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Janet's constant "there's no time" was like the rake scene in The Simpsons, after a while the repetition of it became really funny, like Janet my dude time works differently here, you have nothing but time

It's like an RPG companion dialogue where you haven't hit the story trigger to unlock the next stage of the conversation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Taear posted:

Scott's kid being 26 felt weird as poo poo to me too, as far as I'm concerned the last time I saw her she was like 15?

I mean the actor is 26 but the character is 18.

https://screenrant.com/how-old-cassie-lang-ant-man-wasp-quantumania/

quote:

It is confirmed that Cassie Lang is supposed to be 18 years old in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Director Peyton Reed mentioned this in an interview with Nerdbunker when discussing the impact of Avengers: Endgame's five-year time jump, which resulted in Emma Fuhrmann joining the MCU as a teenage Cassie Lang before Kathryn Newton took over for the Ant-Man sequel. He confirmed that the 26-year-old actress is playing Cassie when she is 18 years old. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania otherwise does not directly confirm how old Cassie is.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It’s like a soap opera. You can’t wait 25 years for a hot adult to grow up. That kid who was born in 2013 has been off at boarding school ever since, but they’re back now and they look 30.

Watch as Morgan Stark and T’Challa, Jr. are straight up 18 in like 5 years.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Ant-Man movies were more fun when Scott had a young daughter who encouraged his shenanigans instead of a teenage daughter who was disappointed in him.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

ElectricSheep posted:

Yes because Boyega cant act.

edit: unless you want kang to just scream at people I guess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes he can act

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not like MCU movies are that demanding anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Yes he can act

Yeah for real