Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

You know the critical faculties of the general audience are seriously broken when you see people commenting "this looks so good" after watching that clip

This is exactly why YouTube got rid of the thumbs down counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rabelais D posted:

You know the critical faculties of the general audience are seriously broken when you see people commenting "this looks so good" after watching that clip

It has nothing to do with critical faculties, it's all about expectation.

They've done studies. If you tell the subject that they're about to see something great and then fill the audience with plants and then show them something mediocre but have the planted audience hoot and holler and then ask the subject what they thought, they'll say they saw something great.

This works consistently regardless of educational background.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Ccs posted:

For self-flagellation reasons I need to share this clip with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYr2vZzz7OA
I'm starting to think that setting an entire film in an ugly, dark and dusty CGI wasteland was a mistake.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ccs posted:

For self-flagellation reasons I need to share this clip with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYr2vZzz7OA

Honestly, I kind of liked that bit. That's the kind of stuff I want from an Ant-Man movie - Paul Rudd Paul Rudding his way through trying to teach his daughter shrink-fighting techniques.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

mr potato head looking mf

ah man im so excited to see modok on film!

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 16, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

mr potato head looking mf

ah man im so excited to see modok on film!

The Head Detective was far aHEAD of it's time. I'll see myself out thank you.

What I originally enjoyed about the Ant-Man films is that it was always a more focused scope of what was going on, no world ending poo poo, just stealing stuff, being small against larger objects, and Paul Rudd being some normal-ish loser electrical engineer. Not this Attack of the Clones scale green screen poo poo.

Also loving lol Michelle Pfeiffer (64) playing some sort of granny wife to Michael Douglas will never not be hilarious to me considering Paul Rudd and Michelle Pfeiffer starred in a romantic comedy where they were dating and banging.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2023

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Everyone posted:

Honestly, I kind of liked that bit. That's the kind of stuff I want from an Ant-Man movie - Paul Rudd Paul Rudding his way through trying to teach his daughter shrink-fighting techniques.

Yeah, a comedy training bit sounds fun. It's presumably not part of the climax or whatever where two characters having the time to chat would undercut the stakes. And while the technical execution is clunky, trailers often have early CGI, so perhaps they'll clean that up for the final version while composing the shots more as a whole instead of the background being a bunch of visually disconnected clutter. People can definitely jump to judgment on the pre-release stuff.

CharlestonJew posted:

im confused on the thread title are you saying the movie isn't good or genocide isn't good? cuz I'm in agreement on both

While that's an SMG quote—except for the missing apostrophe—that a mod made the thread title, I believe the intention is to say that the movie isn't good without attempting to comment on the virtue of genocide.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here’s a better Modok

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Every MCU hero in their last movie where they star, has to have a kid version of them now that has to roll eyes at them every 5 minutes.

It's great. It allows them to throw in even more quips to the script and take it even less seriously so that Gen Z kids and Marvel heads are being conditioned to think any emotional caring is even more "cringe" so they can continue to have hot insane takes about how kissing in movies and tv is unnecessary and "bad".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Considering that one lovely for spoken game annoyed everyone with the quips I don’t think that’s entirely the case

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Alexa show big fart

MCU not looking like poo poo challenge (impossible)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Here’s a better Modok

Going after that coveted "Nothing But Trouble" aesthetic, I see!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
something about this being movie #31 just fucks me up

e: in 15 years, christ

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/GoddessOfWvr/status/1626338991778717699?s=20

lmao MCU fans will be like "This looks fine!"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
66 hours of mcu films total y'all

*walks into the abyss*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagine being DC and seeing what you lost to

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Go to the BSS thread

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They've updated tracking to 95M domestically and 250M worldwide, which is down roughly 30M from a couple weeks ago.

https://www.joblo.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-95m-debut/

I'm going to continue to take the under bet, and say it fails to crack 90! That's right folks, I'm betting against the MCU. Kinda. That's a huge success to anyone else.

zer0spunk posted:

66 hours of mcu films total y'all

*walks into the abyss*

Reminder that back when there was "only" 34 hours or whatever, a poster in this forum went to a MCU marathon and all they had to say after enduring over a day straight of Marvel Madness was "it was fine, the quips were on point"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao I just realized waht he said.

My name is Darren and I am not a dick

Lol

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's right folks, I'm betting against the MCU. Kinda. That's a huge success to anyone else.

no, it will make money. people turn out for these movies, that's never in question. quality doesn't matter. it might not be in the billion-dollar category, but like, ok, great only hundreds of millions. don't forget black adam only did $300 mil its entire run.

this is still profitable, people will watch whatever these are in droves

Reminder that back when there was "only" 34 hours or whatever, a poster in this forum went to a MCU marathon and all they had to say after enduring over a day straight of Marvel Madness was "it was fine, the quips were on point"

that's without any of the shows which do kind of tie into all the other crap, so you would i guess need those too? so i guess the question is, if you have this franchise of media, that is serialized and just feeds into the next thing into the next thing..when you realize you're looking at like a 100 hour commitment do you just say gently caress this?

like we're all in it cuz we're dumb and we've been watching this crap since 2008..and really didn't think it would get to what it is at this point...but future possible viewers? might be a hard rear end sell, especially when you know a ton of it is mid

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 16, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Go to the BSS thread

lol I stuck my head in real quick, saw the last two pages and noped out

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao I just realized waht he said.

My name is Darren and I am not a dick

Lol

I thought thye legit added "I WANT A DICK" cause he's just a head.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zer0spunk posted:

something about this being movie #31 just fucks me up

e: in 15 years, christ

They really shoulda took a break after Endgame, lol.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vintersorg posted:

I thought thye legit added "I WANT A DICK" cause he's just a head.

I'm telling everyone I know MODOK screams "I WANT DICK" in antman 3 quantumania, which is apparently about genocide

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

lol I stuck my head in real quick, saw the last two pages and noped out

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Go to the BSS thread

What's that and where is that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

zer0spunk posted:

like we're all in it cuz we're dumb and we've been watching this crap since 2008..and really didn't think it would get to what it is at this point...but future possible viewers? might be a hard rear end sell, especially when you know a ton of it is mid

The MCU is not going to reign eternal at the box office. At some point they're going to flop. Don't know how, don't know why, but it will happen and people will look back on superhero movies like we look back on Westerns.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/11368st/need_help_my_400_hour_complete_chronological_mcu/

gently caress me, 400 hours?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The MCU is not going to reign eternal at the box office. At some point they're going to flop. Don't know how, don't know why, but it will happen and people will look back on superhero movies like we look back on Westerns.

I was hoping cape poo poo would hit the same wall zombie stuff did, but here we are 15 years in.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

zer0spunk posted:

that's without any of the shows which do kind of tie into all the other crap, so you would i guess need those too? so i guess the question is, if you have this franchise of media, that is serialized and just feeds into the next thing into the next thing..when you realize you're looking at like a 100 hour commitment do you just say gently caress this?

The shows is what broke my camel's back. I'll keep watching the movies cuz it's a Thing To Do, but like gently caress am I doing homework for this mediocre franchise too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think endgame was really the beginning of the end.

I know movie nerds wanna say it’s not but for a superhero movie it was pretty novel to have the characters from different movies show up in one movie in 2012. Since every superhero movie was just a little contained thing.

And now we saw the peak of that and there isn’t really anything else to say. I guess NWH was just that last this is the most we could do with it but yeah.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I think endgame was really the beginning of the end.

The part in Age Of Ultron where they all like, CG Jump over a barricade was the moment for me. I loathe the stupid "wire effect" jumping the characters in the MCU constantly do - it's not quite a wire jump, but it's similar. Captain America, Black Widoe, Hawkeye and Black Panther do it a lot - they do a little jump and the hand of god wooshes them forward, arms flailing. Seeing it (50s in here) just broke what was left of the novelty. I hated Avengers, and Age Of Ultron was just purestrain waste.

I know it's meant to look like a splash page from a comic. I don't care. This is poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The moment that Plex server becomes self-aware, it'll just kill itself from the shame.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

In the next few years I think we'll get to a place where all the other studios apart from Disney and Warner Brothers will have stopped making $200+ million dollar actioners. In the current moviegoing landscape that kind of film simply doesn't connect with the mass audience it need to make money unless it's part of an established continuing franchise and are therefore increasingly risky to mount. Paramount is wrapping up Mission impossible. Universal closed out the Jurassic Park reboot and is giving Fast and Furious an ending. And I think they'll try to replace them not with similarly big movies, but a lot of low-to-mid budget things aiming to hit the Smile or M3gan sweet spot, where they get a $200-300 million return for a $10-20 million outlay. And if that proves lucrative and goes on long enough, it'll eventually chip away at the demand for hero stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

zer0spunk posted:

I was hoping cape poo poo would hit the same wall zombie stuff did, but here we are 15 years in.

The Western was 1/4th of every film produced in the 1940s and 1950s. 20+ years. I promise you cape poo poo is going to go away someday. It always seems inevitable until it isn't.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The shows is what broke my camel's back. I'll keep watching the movies cuz it's a Thing To Do, but like gently caress am I doing homework for this mediocre franchise too.

It’s all just so boring

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

CelticPredator posted:

Here’s a better Modok

I haven't seen the movie, but they really did just need to make him more hosed up and body horror looking. Like, yeah a floating loving head with baby arms is goofy, so is a man turning into a fly, but if you give a poo poo you can make it work and not have people laughing in the cinema at it.

However...

Given that i've seen a film once or twice before and this looks to be the "redemption of the villain sacrificing himself against the real villain", and they chose to punctuate his redemptive moment with a scream of "DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK", I guess they wanted MODOK to be a joke on screen played solely for laughs and not as any kind of serious thing.

So, I mean fine thats what they're going for, and fair enough its a goofy as gently caress kirby monster to begin with, but christ the light hearted quipiness of your films might be going too far when the giant photoshop resized head is screaming 'dick' at your big bad guy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Western was 1/4th of every film produced in the 1940s and 1950s. 20+ years. I promise you cape poo poo is going to go away someday. It always seems inevitable until it isn't.

To be fair, how much of that lines up with film emulsion of the time needing a ton of exposure (25, 50 asa range) and those types of films mostly being daylight exteriors and sparse desert shots. Easier in a ton of respects to produce, so here's a ton of it, and hey, it's pretty popular when it's everywhere.

I'm surprised this genre is enduring like this, part of me wants to throw into that one alan moore analysis of why it's this infantilized version of a hero's journey that appeals to idiots but that's a whole can of worms people don't appreciate...I don't think he's totally wrong
though.

But hey, at least this one is only 2 hours and not 3 so..progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

In the next few years I think we'll get to a place where all the other studios apart from Disney and Warner Brothers will have stopped making $200+ million dollar actioners. In the current moviegoing landscape that kind of film simply doesn't connect with the mass audience it need to make money unless it's part of an established continuing franchise and are therefore increasingly risky to mount. Paramount is wrapping up Mission impossible. Universal closed out the Jurassic Park reboot and is giving Fast and Furious an ending. And I think they'll try to replace them not with similarly big movies, but a lot of low-to-mid budget things aiming to hit the Smile or M3gan sweet spot, where they get a $200-300 million return for a $10-20 million outlay. And if that proves lucrative and goes on long enough, it'll eventually chip away at the demand for hero stuff.

The way forward might follow something like John Wick, where a well made, modestly budgeted action movie caught on and spawned a franchise. So I think we’re gonna see a lot of mass appeal movies that fit that mold in the future because all you risk is a small budget stinker, but if the movie hits, it has the potential to hit big.