Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
let's take a moment to reflect on all the failed attempted cinematic universes this has spawned

rip mummy lives or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

let's take a moment to reflect on all the failed attempted cinematic universes this has spawned

rip mummy lives or whatever the gently caress

The dark universe, yeah. I would say DC, but it’s still in the death rattle stage. What else?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Here’s a better Modok

I was so shocked to not see the Full Moon logo on this poster.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Blue Raider posted:

The dark universe, yeah. I would say DC, but it’s still in the death rattle stage. What else?

there's been a bunch of "THIS IS THE START OF OUR FRANCHISE" and then people said, nope

the mark webb spiderman movies
the dark tower movie
that one guy ritchie king arthur thing
freddy vs jason would have been a vs one but bruce campell said no thank you to the ash sequel they pitched
at one point men in black and 21 jump street were supposed to be a universe..which i still do not understand at all?

it's just corporate hubris which is my fav type when it shits the bed

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We were also robbed of Jupiter Ascending's true structure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Western was 1/4th of every film produced in the 1940s and 1950s. 20+ years. I promise you cape poo poo is going to go away someday. It always seems inevitable until it isn't.

I don't know about this. Superheroes as a concept have had 50+ years of polishing their appeal to children. Many kids shows are kind of superhero stories now. There's always more kids. They might not ever get over it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was someone who was hoping for 21 Jump Street + MIB because 21 and 22 Jump Street were hilarious and it would have had a good setting. Alas…

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

I was so shocked to not see the Full Moon logo on this poster.

I think by the time this came out, Charles Band was making subdivisions of Full Moon like Torchlight and Moonbeam Pictures, probably to separate their genre pics from their horror library, but also probably for money laundering purposes.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Beware the monstrous designs of the MODOK!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vintersorg posted:

I thought thye legit added "I WANT A DICK" cause he's just a head.

hell,

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

—except for the missing apostrophe—that a mod made the thread title

It wouldn't let me keep the apostrophe!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's telling that it released and nobody is even giving impressions at this point.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I thought it was pretty good and using Modok any other way would've been said it was copying something else. I thought Kang was pretty good it felt like a good introduction and it kinda felt like this Kang could be either a beginning or end for this same one to show up again later.

Post credits were fun and goofy as hell but I'm a huge Kang mark.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The funniest part was during the credits when it says the movie was filmed in Australia. They got good green screens in Australia?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I assume they were using the infrastructure they used there for Taika's Thor films

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just came back from watching it. Movie was actually fun I thought. Its dumb as gently caress for sure but I don't know its got some fun performances and I enjoyed it.

I definitely enjoyed it more than most if not all Phase 4 movies if I had to be honest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Post credit scene leaked

https://twitter.com/Moob_rise/status/1625856618742317056?t=ny8i_6yX8bqBPJ6P-PtkxA&s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I assume they were using the infrastructure they used there for Taika's Thor films

That's all in New Zealand afaik, or it is now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ok this video is dark as gently caress so it’s hard to make anything out and the audio obviously is bad but… is that a bunch of black people jumping around with monkey sounds? Please tell me that’s not what I’m seeing and hearing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok this video is dark as gently caress so it’s hard to make anything out and the audio obviously is bad but… is that a bunch of black people jumping around with monkey sounds? Please tell me that’s not what I’m seeing and hearing.

bad audio but it’s a citadel of Ricks who are all hooting and cheering. Badly compressed audio like this makes it appear far worse.

Also one more stinger for the faithful.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Marvel got tired of people complaining about the mooks being boring gray cannon fodder, so now all the mooks are dupes of the big bad with slight costume differences.

That's certainly... something.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

https://twitter.com/java_jigga/status/1626459850522918914?s=46&t=QqVwZJ0wxpTjvkX_nDifwQ

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

incoherent posted:

bad audio but it’s a citadel of Ricks who are all hooting and cheering. Badly compressed audio like this makes it appear far worse.

Also one more stinger for the faithful.

But you hear the monkey sounds right? It’s not just me?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Stretch

E: i saw the movie and it was more like a madhouse of a lot of people talking or cheering / hollering. Maybe like a guy laughing at the end of it all.

Also my theater clapped at that scene too lol

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 17, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I remember when the 90's X-Men cartoon did this big season-ending four-parter about Apocalypse and there was this crazy time travel janitor character who acted like Bobcat Goldthwait and was mostly there to annoy the heroes. Then at the end of the story, he revealed himself to be Immortus/Kang as some kind of dramatic cliffhanger moment, but they never followed up on it or explained it in any way.

And it only took 25 years for anyone to care about him.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm onboard for Kang and thought Quantumania was a great time, I don't really get the hate. The first half had pacing problems that's about it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

smoobles posted:

I'm onboard for Kang and thought Quantumania was a great time, I don't really get the hate. The first half had pacing problems that's about it.

The first half also had writing problems and to be frank so did the second half.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If you ignore all the bad parts of the movie it was pretty good, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Whose Chidi playing then?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm just thankful Evangeline Lilly is like barely in this movie and not really a character. I'm just a Kate from Lost hater

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

PriorMarcus posted:

Whose Chidi playing then?

A psychic guy who lives in the Quantum Realm.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gavok posted:

A psychic guy who lives in the Quantum Realm.

Lol what a waste

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm just thankful Evangeline Lilly is like barely in this movie and not really a character. I'm just a Kate from Lost hater

It's so funny to me that they've started putting The Wasp into the titles of these but they barely develop her character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

She's also a big vocal antivaxxer, so the less she's in these movies the better.

Anyway, movie kinda stunk. Slow, dull, barely any of the gags land, MODOK looks loving ridiculous even for MODOK, Kang was cool when he wasn't just delivering cryptic non-sequiturs to pad for time.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Don't get the hate at all, MODOK is exactly as goofy as he should be, all the humor landed (unlike that godawful Love and Thunder mess), the cast is fully killing it and all gets enough to do, Kang is way better than he was on Loki, and the post-credit poo poo was actually good for the first time in ages! Finally breaking the long streak of "Hi, I'm [name]! Welp, see you in 4 or 5 years I guess!!"

Have to rewatch 2, but Ant-Man may be my favorite trilogy of the bunch now. Peyton handles the "family goes on kooky super science adventure to impossible new worlds" stuff so well he really should've gotten Fantastic Four

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
MODOK is supposed to look goofy he’s not supposed to look like poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, I'm not opposed to him looking goofy, he's meant to. The actual effect they used just looked really bad. I swear the CGI in the MCU is getting worse over time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pirate Jet posted:

This got a legit out loud laugh from me

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Pirate Jet posted:

I unironically loved him and I was so worried when we just had that lovely leak with the ugly mask, but even the goofy mask looked better in the movie and bringing back Corey Stoll was such a great idea. Loved his big dumb face and cracked the gently caress up at his dumb little baby butt hanging out when Kang was rebuilding him.

Not really sure what people were hoping for from an MCU MODOK but they nailed it for me. Just a big dumb head guy flying around with all his cartoonish mountain of lasers and buzzsaws and poo poo flying out everywhere, he rocked

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

full spoilers. do you really want black bars everywhere? just don't read this post

maybe don't make michelle pfeiffer respond to every line of dialogue with "there's no time to explain" for 30+ minutes so you can instead devote some time to the inhabitants of the quantum world so we actually give a poo poo about their involvement in the finale.

maybe don't make kang the biggest reason anyone bothers to see this, show him in the first 2 seconds of the movie, and then waste a bunch of time referring to him as "HIM" like we don't all already know exactly who the gently caress you're talking about. i HATE when movies do this so loving much and it happens often. so much time is wasted on fake "suspense" that it fails to actually deliver a story with any weight or meaning.

kang's army are all faceless bluelight helmet nobodies. are they copies of him? are they people from the quantum world that were convinced to rebel against [whatever]? what is the conflict of this little mini world besides "kang is here and he's powerful and mean"?

modok... are you absolutely loving kidding me? i mean.. jesus loving christ he's a new low for the MCU.

only two good things i can say is:

1. the scene with all the ant man probability copies was kinda cool? but then hope just swoops in to help without even knowing what the hell he's trying to achieve.

2. jonathan majors is charismatic and ominous and affecting. i'm glad we finally have a new big bad, but the MCU went through how many quantumultiverse shows and movies where he was nowhere to be found. isn't marvel the ones who are supposed to be good at this poo poo? you can't give us a little post credit glimpse at him standing back watching multiversal travel biding time before making a move? his cinematic intro deserved a much better movie than this and, unfortunately, whatever cool poo poo he (hopefully) pulls off in other movies will always be soured by this entrance.

also, why the hell does michelle pfeiffer only realize that it's a bad idea to research and send/receive communication to the quantum zone after presumably weeks/months of research and work on the machine. she's all gung ho and happy about congregating in the lab but only after the machine is on and whirring is she all like "wait WHAT you can't blabla quantum zone blaba"

gently caress me this poo poo isn't even worth the amount of words i typed. but yeah this sucks. see it for kang if you care or go to see how bad it is if you get a kick out of that. i went in with low expectations and it was even worse than i expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ShoogaSlim posted:

also, why the hell does michelle pfeiffer only realize that it's a bad idea to research and send/receive communication to the quantum zone after presumably weeks/months of research and work on the machine. she's all gung ho and happy about congregating in the lab but only after the machine is on and whirring is she all like "wait WHAT you can't blabla quantum zone blaba"

They didn't tell her about it, because she refused to talk about the quantum realm.

Please note that this correction is not meant as an endorsement of the lovely writing.