Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

mycot posted:

Apparently the Table Top RPG scene was bitching about that goon recently because he keeps spamming RPG store websites with hundreds and hundreds of pages of AI generated rulebooks.

Was it this guy?

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone here is interested in roleplaying games, or really just Jurassic Park lore, I made a pretty extensive and elaborate tabletop roleplaying game called Jurassic Park: Edge of Chaos that I just put up on itch.io. I think it's just as much fun as a lore compendium as it is a game. Much like the Telltale game, it takes place during the events of the first movie and acts as a player-driven remix of the events of June 11, 1993.

Lemme know if self-promotion like this is gauche (didn't see anything in the rules) and I can edit, but it seems like it might be right up some of y'all's alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PriorMarcus posted:

Was it this guy?

No no no, it was Rutibex after he got permabanned. I forgot their handle outside of SomethingAwful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Remulak posted:

They just need to say that they hired an artist, and said artist like these AI images as a start or aid to his own work. Bet that didn’t happen though.

That was literally an out they could have taken but they jumped right into it. Now they're hosed it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

The people calling for a boycott are ruining the drat narrative and they should stop and actually talk about the issues instead of demonizing anyone who sees it

What does “talking about the issues” look like if not “this production stole art and you shouldn’t financially support that”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Was it this guy?

Nah, that was just the Jurassic Park community that got mad at me. Now they're un mad at me because they actually like the game enough to replace the AI imagery with stuff the community is making.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

What does “talking about the issues” look like if not “this production stole art and you shouldn’t financially support that”

You talk about it. Discuss it. Instead of yelling people to not watch it and demonizing those who do. It won’t get anyone on your side.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of people worked on this film. One person, according to someone who saw it in the horror thread, who was an artist decided to use AI. So if that artist chose to use Ai then they didn’t not hire someone, someone just was ignorant.

Call the directors stupid and the artist stupid but saying we need to hurl this film to the bottom of a pit and never speak of it again thus hurting the artists that did work hard on it honestly and for very little money is really bad.

This movie isn’t Disney or Starbucks. These people didn’t get a huge payout bruh

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
BEGONE, demon! The power of Christ compels you!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm not never going to watch it, I'm just no longer making it a priority in an age of so much media and so little time

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ngl I'm still gonna watch the movie because I like the premise, that kinda aesthetic, and Dastmalchian

Same but as was eloquently put in another thread:

Gripweed posted:

I'm still gonna watch the movie. But if the creators are opposed to paying for things, who am I to blow against the wind?

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like the myth that films are a top to bottom labor of love and care through every facet of production is pretty silly lol.

Been saying this. It depends on the individual, their level of connection to or involvement in the project, how early/late in production, etc.

Re: Late Night, the filmmakers may not have cared that the AI stuff looked bad, or they actually might have thought it looked great, but it's dumb and bad either way

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

Same but as was eloquently put in another thread:

Oh yeah I'm gonna watch it on the Shudder account I'm stealing from my friends, they don't get a dime from me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Re: Late Night, the filmmakers may not have cared that the AI stuff looked bad, or they actually might have thought it looked great, but it's dumb and bad either way

100% agreed. I would've given them a bit of a pass IF it was done out of "oh poo poo we ran out of money, we can't pay someone what they deserve to make this...okay you, graphics guy make something quick, oh you used AI? that's cool for 2022 ai! Thanks ok that works!"

i dont like their excuse. But i don't support throwing out the entire movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They genuinely would have been better off with clip art, which is basically what it ended up looking like anyway.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

You talk about it. Discuss it. Instead of yelling people to not watch it and demonizing those who do. It won’t get anyone on your side.

What does it mean to “demonize” people here? How is it not already being talked about? This project was made by stealing people’s labor and the process will become normalized by it enabling more and bigger productions to do the same thing. Maybe you shouldn’t reward that with your money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some news on a few franchise sequels-

Bad Boys 4 is officially titled Bad Boys: Ride or Die and comes out in June

https://www.ign.com/articles/bad-boys-4-trailer-release-date

There is another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in development, but it is going to be treated as a reboot, per Jerry Bruckheimer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/pirates-of-the-caribbean-producer-franchise-reboot-sixth-movie

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

"You don't know, you really don't know," Bruckheimer initially said. "Because with Top Gun, you have an actor who is iconic and brilliant. And how many movies he does before he does Top Gun, I can't tell you. But we're gonna reboot Pirates, so that is easier to put together because you don't have to wait for certain actors."

lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He Who Must Not Be Named

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

He really thought winning that trial was gonna engineer his victorious return to stardom

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in development, but it is going to be treated as a reboot, per Jerry Bruckheimer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/pirates-of-the-caribbean-producer-franchise-reboot-sixth-movie

These two notes together make me wonder when they're going to drag Smith back to MIB after that reboot flopped.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't heard, but I'm sure if Universal opens their wallet for Smith he would probably do it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The pirates movies were much liked for all their comedy, fast pass and all the fun fantasy stuff chucked in there as well. Watch as the reboot goes the dull 'serious' route and is boring as hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird bit of Will Smith news was the announcement that some mobile game he was attached to was a huge flop.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I only ever liked the first one. The two sequels were incredibly bloated and that just killed it for me. I didn't even bother watching 4 or 5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

4 is incredibly cheap looking for what was apparently the most expensive movie of all time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

4 is incredibly cheap looking for what was apparently the most expensive movie of all time.

Hollywood has had a lot of experience making incredibly expensive movies look cheap as hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Disney spent like $250 mil+ on their Disney+ Marvel show Secret Invasion, and there is very little VFX. Apparently the reason for that high cost is that they had to redo a bunch of VFX which cost them even more money.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney spent like $250 mil+ on their Disney+ Marvel show Secret Invasion, and there is very little VFX. Apparently the reason for that high cost is that they had to redo a bunch of VFX which cost them even more money.

Was it because of reshoots?

They seem to really love their reshoots over there, sort of makes them come across as wasteful and thoughtless, or perhaps just weirdly cowardly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Was it because of reshoots?

They seem to really love their reshoots over there, sort of makes them come across as wasteful and thoughtless, or perhaps just weirdly cowardly.

Both. Lots of bored executives wanting it to be 20% funnier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hmm. Have they tried including jokes?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems producers have learnt that if you have it so the director shoots most of the shoot being green you can just ask the VFX people to gently caress around how ever you feel like on a whim.

Can even do the lighting and everything in post as well, so just shot everything very uniformly lit, it will make it easier for the vfx people to gently caress around with everything in post as well!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Should be Bad Boys: Slap or Tap

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

live with fruit posted:

These two notes together make me wonder when they're going to drag Smith back to MIB after that reboot flopped.

I thought the second one was incredibly boring and forgettable. Is it worth a rewatch? I actually really enjoyed the third one. Brolin did a good Tommy Lee Jones and I thought they wrapped it up well. I watched it again a couple years ago with my wife, who'd never seen it, and it felt like a direct sequel to the original that pretends the second movie never happened. I'd completely forgotten they did a reboot until your post. I remember the trailer looking awful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would like a good pirate movie again. Which we unfortunately haven’t had since the first POTC 21 years ago. Common wisdom is that movies about pirates lose an assload of money, after a couple of high profile flops in the 80s and 90s. Which was true until POTC came out in 2003. Even the lovely later ones made a ton of money. But Depp was absolutely sleepwalking through the last one and has substance abuse issues that make him almost completely unreliable at this point.

The general movie going audience isn’t going to give a poo poo but Curse of the Black Pearl takes place somewhere around 1730, well after the Golden Age or Piracy was over, and the last movie has a 20ish year time skip. So it takes place around 1750. Rebooting gets them away from that.

I cut On Stranger Tides a lot of slack when it came out because I hated parts 2 & 3, and love the novel it’s very loosely based on. But last year I reread the novel and had a great time. So then I watched the movie again and hated it. It’s as bad as all the other sequels.

Now, Cutthroat Island can be pretty fun if you can grit your teeth through the awful dialogue.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He really thought winning that trial was gonna engineer his victorious return to stardom

The funny part is that if you read the actual conclusion of the trial, it's 'yeah, he did that poo poo, but also she shouldn't have talked about it, give him money, Amber' it wasn't an exoneration in the slightest, it was the result you only get with rich people lawyers. The only people for whom it was were already convinced by the sheer fact that he's johnny depp.

Depp brought looks, a universal appeal and a fair bit of talent. With his looks going very quickly and suddenly, a whole bunch of controversy on his name and, apparently, consistent unprofessionalism (showing up drunk or hungover, not knowing his lines and so on) he really doesn't bring that much to the table except that sense that, if he tries, he can turn in a good performance, probably. The conditional hasn't been tested in a while.

Casimir Radon posted:

I would like a good pirate movie again. Which we unfortunately haven’t had since the first POTC 21 years ago. Common wisdom is that movies about pirates lose an assload of money, after a couple of high profile flops in the 80s and 90s. Which was true until POTC came out in 2003. Even the lovely later ones made a ton of money. But Depp was absolutely sleepwalking through the last one and has substance abuse issues that make him almost completely unreliable at this point.

The general movie going audience isn’t going to give a poo poo but Curse of the Black Pearl takes place somewhere around 1730, well after the Golden Age or Piracy was over, and the last movie has a 20ish year time skip. So it takes place around 1750. Rebooting gets them away from that.

I cut On Stranger Tides a lot of slack when it came out because I hated parts 2 & 3, and love the novel it’s very loosely based on. But last year I reread the novel and had a great time. So then I watched the movie again and hated it. It’s as bad as all the other sequels.

Now, Cutthroat Island can be pretty fun if you can grit your teeth through the awful dialogue.

We did get a good pirate TV show in that time. If you haven't watched Black Sails, make that a priority.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

dr_rat posted:

Seems producers have learnt that if you have it so the director shoots most of the shoot being green you can just ask the VFX people to gently caress around how ever you feel like on a whim.

Can even do the lighting and everything in post as well, so just shot everything very uniformly lit, it will make it easier for the vfx people to gently caress around with everything in post as well!

And it's great because the VFX people are much less likely to be union!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

And it's great because the VFX people are much less likely to be union!

I never quite realised the implication of the fact that they hadn't even decided what kind of gun he'd be carrying. There's that story from the second season of Westworld, where they shot a sequence of two characters who were enemies riding next to each other. The actors asked 'what...why?' the response was a shrug and a 'who knows? we might need it'

Is that just how the MCU gets made now?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Not just MCU, there are so many action/fantasy/SF films and TV shows drenched in digital backlots and we'll-do-it-in-VFX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

I never quite realised the implication of the fact that they hadn't even decided what kind of gun he'd be carrying. There's that story from the second season of Westworld, where they shot a sequence of two characters who were enemies riding next to each other. The actors asked 'what...why?' the response was a shrug and a 'who knows? we might need it'

Is that just how the MCU gets made now?

That's how they've been making it for years! All the fights are two hovering figures shooting lasers until one falls over that are modelled years in advance and inserted as needed, the characters painted over the models.