Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Why the gently caress did my parents insist I try when I coulda failured my way to riches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bar Crow posted:

White supremacy is the foundation of capitalism.

*Karl Marx Frowning.jpg*

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

*Karl Marx Frowning.jpg*

Ok, let’s just say disrupting class solidarity so only the bourgeoisie can benefit from it is a structural requirement. White supremacy, with its ever shifting definition of white, is the tool used by the current order and its logic is inescapable within that framework.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bar Crow posted:

Ok, let’s just say disrupting class solidarity so only the bourgeoisie can benefit from it is a structural requirement. White supremacy, with its ever shifting definition of white, is the tool used by the current order and its logic is inescapable within that framework.

*Karl Marx Thumbs Up.png*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Turning a big dial that says "Racism" on it and constantly looking back at Karl Marx for approval like a contestant on The Price is Right.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Found a much better quality version of the track: https://soundcloud.com/drafthousefilms/against-the-ninja

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh my god

https://twitter.com/tdcpresents/status/1773160918475555173?s=20

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The fight sequences are causing huge Nick Arcade memories to resurface.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched it a few weeks ago and it’s easily his worst film. It’s almost impressive watching a filmmaker get progressively worse with each movie.

I would even hazard to say that it’s almost not even worth watching in a so-bad-it’s-good way. The static camera and constant green screen make watching it a real loving chore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It looks like a nightmare

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It looks like a nightmare

And they didn’t even include the scene where one Breen twin is begging the other Breen twin to kill him with a foam sword for having ravioli stuck to his face

https://youtu.be/26NhfP4K3z8?si=fx0FtP058JLObqxG

or his tiger fight

https://youtu.be/3ZOh1WPP93I?si=4n2ziv9KDDTRtqkF

or his version of the black lodge dance

https://youtu.be/UEQ9eivETrI?si=PMcFBc8j9qv-Kahi

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

My favorite scene was when there were people trapped in a car, pounding on the windows to get out. Except the windows were rolled down and they were just miming hitting them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like how Neil tried really hard to make “We need to make this an even fight!” his catchphrase by using it in every fight scene.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I just don’t understand how someone so weird can handle the day to day of surviving. His work is weird and interesting but I don’t see how he interacts with humans.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i saw a street babbler once buy food from a grocery store

you know how they did it?

shutting up momentarily

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Darkseed core

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

My favorite scene was when there were people trapped in a car, pounding on the windows to get out. Except the windows were rolled down and they were just miming hitting them.

Is that in Cade? Because there's almost the same scene(s) in Pass Thru, where alternately male and female immigrants are screaming and protesting as they're being locked into a truck by an actor who's taking his sweet time actually closing the door.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1773501274861793344?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading the plot of that Breen movie makes me worried that he’s gotten into QAnon lore. That could be a dangerously potent mix.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's not just the backgrounds, the sound design, it really does feel like you're playing like Juggernaut or one of those other style adventure games, almost Kowloon's Gate level energy at points.

It's not just all stock photos though, he uses some footage as well similar to the looping FMV background elements in some of those games like Fear Effect.

The sound mix in this movie is completely loving insane though. Like between the at times very low quality audio, the freeze framed people imposed on footage while other characters are walking around and talking, the often decrepit setting, the droning ominous music loops and the repeated scream that's played any time a particular character grabs someone, almost more than how it looks this is what really puts it into curses 90s adventure game territory for me. Especially the sound/visual of when he does more intense stuff with his powers where it's just a freeze frame of his face with like a vaguely hell background as one of his eyes slowly starts glowing and stuff.

There's this one shot where it's like a pan from left to right across flat static silhouettes of business people in a boardroom and then when it stops the principle character walk out of two of the silhouettes that's legit good and surprising coming from Breen. Every other shot and action in the movie is brainbustingly hilarious in its own way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So what we have here is someone who looked at Tommy Wiseau and thought "That could be me!"

Fake edit: looked at some of his other stuff on YouTube and it's all on the level of Doom House. I half expected Lowtax to cameo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Small Strange Bird posted:

So what we have here is someone who looked at Tommy Wiseau and thought "That could be me!"

Fake edit: looked at some of his other stuff on YouTube and it's all on the level of Doom House. I half expected Lowtax to cameo.

Something I actually really love about his movies is that he's done six flicks now:

Double Down
I Am Here.... Now
Fateful Findings
Pass Thru
Twisted Pair
Cade: The Tortured Crossing

If you watch them in order, it's fascinating because the budget is clearly lower or/and the movie is more cheaply made each time from Fateful Findings on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Neo Rasa posted:

Something I actually really love about his movies is that he's done six flicks now:

Double Down
I Am Here.... Now
Fateful Findings
Pass Thru
Twisted Pair

If you watch them in order, it's fascinating because the budget is clearly lower or/and the movie is more cheaply made each time from Fateful Findings on.

- Double Down is cheap and lovely and uses a ton of stock footage, but it’s honestly close to being kind of a real movie. He’s actually filming outside in real locations and there’s an attempt at ”ACTIIIING!”

- I am Here…. Now I remember being kinda bland for Neil, and he basically remade the messianic alien chunks of it in Pass Thru. He’s almost effectively scrubbed this one from the internet for some reason.

- Fateful Findings is genuinely interesting to watch, like if David Lynch had no budget and an undiagnosed concussion.

- Pass Thru is the beginning of Neil’s downfall. He’s still filming in real locations but he also definitely want you to know he bought a drone and started experimenting with the green-screen backgrounds and it ends with a genuinely horrifying libertarian rant about “cleansing the earth” of basically every profession and institution that ever wronged him his character.

- Twisted Pair and Cade are just godawful because of his reliance on green-screen and still frames for scenes and effects. He’s become convinced he can do anything with them and they have literally never been done well in any of his movies. I think he’s saying something about AI and the medical industry in these but the plots are so incoherent and threadbare, even by his standards, that you’re left with 90-100 minutes of something that looks like a Tim & Eric skit earnestly played deadly serious without jokes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm not even sure if he's running out of money, it almost comes across like he discovered some neat new trick that he thinks is gonna revolutionize the industry. "This Shutterstock site is amazing, I can make anything with this now!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He has George Lucas Syndrome but the tech is all obsolete garbage

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Double Down
I Am Here.... Now
Fateful Findings
Pass Thru
Twisted Pair

Some of my fav clips a surprising number of them are nominally about suicides

https://youtu.be/dOV3xTJ9UgE?si=mJQ1CNHJ7j0Dw46C

https://youtu.be/Gz1xPx_K6Do?si=5cU9WMvfljpamK_-

https://youtu.be/rEVW4AY4nJI?si=-KOZIRkDdZkjDzfu

https://youtu.be/dKohD_RLnFw?si=68QNHCzCKhiILDDD

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Double Down is cheap and lovely and uses a ton of stock footage, but it’s honestly close to being kind of a real movie. He’s actually filming outside in real locations and there’s an attempt at ”ACTIIIING!”

- I am Here…. Now I remember being kinda bland for Neil, and he basically remade the messianic alien chunks of it in Pass Thru. He’s almost effectively scrubbed this one from the internet for some reason.

- Fateful Findings is genuinely interesting to watch, like if David Lynch had no budget and an undiagnosed concussion.

- Pass Thru is the beginning of Neil’s downfall. He’s still filming in real locations but he also definitely want you to know he bought a drone and started experimenting with the green-screen backgrounds and it ends with a genuinely horrifying libertarian rant about “cleansing the earth” of basically every profession and institution that ever wronged him his character.

- Twisted Pair and Cade are just godawful because of his reliance on green-screen and still frames for scenes and effects. He’s become convinced he can do anything with them and they have literally never been done well in any of his movies. I think he’s saying something about AI and the medical industry in these but the plots are so incoherent and threadbare, even by his standards, that you’re left with 90-100 minutes of something that looks like a Tim & Eric skit earnestly played deadly serious without jokes.

Cade definitely has intentionally mean to be funny bits like when he gets hit by the (stock footage imposed) car early on and "drat! I better use my powers to turn this into a fair fight!" and all the Double Down "homage" in it lol

Pass Thru is definitely my least favorite movie of his, I'd say it's less the beginning of his downfall and just by far his worst movie. I always felt like Fateful Findings was the closest one to being a real movie just because Double Down has those massive stretches of nothing and also the extensive scenes of him running around/gingerly navigating the rocky terrain.

Did he ever give a reason for why I Am Here.... Now is somehow not worthy to be seen anymore or/and why he can't release it?

Cade does have one shot where it's like a pan from left to right across flat static silhouettes of business people in a boardroom and then when it stops the principle character walk out of two of the silhouettes that combined with the sound is legit good and surprising coming from Breen. Every other shot and action in the movie is brainbustingly hilarious in its own way though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm not even sure if he's running out of money, it almost comes across like he discovered some neat new trick that he thinks is gonna revolutionize the industry. "This Shutterstock site is amazing, I can make anything with this now!"

Legit surprised he hasn't gotten into AI yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He already uses AI because he thinks he’s an AI

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Neo Rasa posted:

Did he ever give a reason for why I Am Here.... Now is somehow not worthy to be seen anymore or/and why he can't release it?

Not to my knowledge. I just know that he’s always gone out of his way to issue takedowns of clips from that movie in particular. And if you try to navigate his arcane method of ordering a DVD-R directly from him and select IAHN, he always says he isn’t distributing it anymore.

Could just be some kind of rights issue from his “guerilla filmmaking” around Vegas or some piece of stock footage. I doubt he’s self-aware enough to be particularly embarrassed about that one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Small Strange Bird posted:

Honestly, much as I sincerely love The Room, I have a lot more respect for Breen as a filmmaker (which is an insane thing to write on multiple levels) because while I think The Room did come from a very genuine place, within a few years Tommy abandoned all aspects of genuineness in favor of chasing the deliberately "so-bad-it's-good" dragon and diving headlong into his performative weird persona in the midnight circuit. Just compare The Neighbors to The Room and you'll see what I mean.

Breen meanwhile has just kept chugging along, making things that clearly make sense to him and reflects things that he is passionate about, however inscrutable those might be to actual humans.

That being said, I haven't seen Big Shark yet, and I am curious how Tommy's return to movie-making goes, especially since it seems like it's his take on Birdemic/Asylum movies. Tommy trying to do a genuine parody of other actually bad movies might have a spark to it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Neil does seem slow to catch up with actual modern technology. I wonder if him using machine learning tools would ruin everything he touches, or become the first valid use of the tool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Young Freud posted:

If he ever chooses to I'm giving him a pass on it. I have decided Breen can be trusted with the technology.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is a man who had his very first movie hero character threaten to literally poison the water supply of a city, you should not give him a pass on anything

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also the fact that you had a lot of auteur directors in the 1970s, and there were a bunch of films made during that period that went way over budget or were just total production fiascos. This drove the execs insane. By like the 1990s, a lot of those directors got shuffled away from bigger projects and to smaller ones where it didn't matter as much if they made a mess. Now, studios/execs want as much cost-certainty as possible and have taken a lot of the control away from directors. Marvel in particular has done a lot of this, where they are just bringing in a lot of cheaper directors but the studio itself has already done a lot of the work even before the directors are hired.

Speaking of Auteur directors and troubled productions. The movie Francis Ford Coppola sold a huge chunk of his wine empire to make has had it's first screenings.

https://twitter.com/nick_field90/status/1773548658157306342

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is a man who had his very first movie hero character threaten to literally poison the water supply of a city, you should not give him a pass on anything

It's okay when he does it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

High Warlord Zog posted:

Speaking of Auteur directors and troubled productions. The movie Francis Ford Coppola sold a huge chunk of his wine empire to make has had it's first screenings.

https://twitter.com/nick_field90/status/1773548658157306342

drat, pretty hyped for this now

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Apparently it was a very set heavy production that made extensive use of LED screen backdrops, so it seems like we're getting the highly stylised every-image-micromanaged-to-the-nth-degree Copolla of One From the Heart and Dracula. I can't wait.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm very concerned when I see Jon Voight's name attached to anything these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

High Warlord Zog posted:

Apparently it was a very set heavy production that made extensive use of LED screen backdrops, so it seems like we're getting the highly stylised every-image-micromanaged-to-the-nth-degree Copolla of One From the Heart and Dracula. I can't wait.

One From The Heart is insane and dumb but I have to say it looks extremely cool so yeah more of that mad semi-genius please