Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

After he throws Brucey into the car door, all of the production people watching had disappeared.

What does this mean???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Going back a few pages, because I only just found out about it, I would have no issues with their being a remake of "The Running Man"

However I would want the remake to be based on the movie, not the book.

I think it would be great to have the film updated to mock gameshows similar to the ones we have today. For a wonderful Easter Egg, get Steve Harvey to play the bad guy.

Actually, thinking about it, I think he could really pull off that role. That would work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tsietisin posted:

Going back a few pages, because I only just found out about it, I would have no issues with their being a remake of "The Running Man"

However I would want the remake to be based on the movie, not the book.

I think it would be great to have the film updated to mock gameshows similar to the ones we have today. For a wonderful Easter Egg, get Steve Harvey to play the bad guy.

Actually, thinking about it, I think he could really pull off that role. That would work.

Hard agree.

Whoever is in the Killian or equivalent role, it's gotta be a former actual game show host because.

Jesse Ventura can reprise his role of course.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's very clearly a dream sequence. Cliff is on the roof doing poo poo, then he slips into a reverie where a bunch of dumb implausible poo poo happens that culminates in him kicking Bruce Lee's rear end, then it cuts back to the roof and he's like "Nahhh anyway". It's pretty much only missing an "and then everyone clapped".

Like, the movie is obviously a fairytale, but the characters that are real people basically just behave like how you imagine they would in real life, except for Lee who is a ridiculous caricature of the most assholeish anecdotes about him

Yeah compare that to Tate's memory of a calm and soothing Bruce Lee training her. Unreliable narrator is in the mix!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Neo Rasa posted:

Hard agree.

Whoever is in the Killian or equivalent role, it's gotta be a former actual game show host because.

Fancasting!! :neckbeard:

You want a Drew Carey-type, but I don't think he could pull off the tone.

Howie Mandel would be too much of a gimmick.

Maybe a Wayne Brady?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Richard Karn hosted Family Feud for a few years, he could be a fun choice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shageletic posted:

Yeah compare that to Tate's memory of a calm and soothing Bruce Lee training her. Unreliable narrator is in the mix!

The novel nor the movie indicate it's unreliable narrator poo poo. It's almost as if Bruce's behavior was different based on who he was interacting with and the context of those interactions.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I had an early Enter the Dragon dvd and I remember one of the special features having Linda Lee tell a story about Bruce kicking the poo poo out of stunt man on set after he challenged him to a fight. I thought the scene was just a reference to that while serving as way to show that Brad Pitt’s character was very powerful by having him fight the toughest guy in the Hollywood of that era. I don’t know why people got bent out of shape about it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bruce Lee also - allegedly - had dudes try to fight him all the time so it’s not a big stretch to say he lost every now and then.

He also - allegedly - badly hospitalised a dude who jumped his back fence to challenge him to a fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

well why not posted:

Bruce Lee also - allegedly - had dudes try to fight him all the time so it’s not a big stretch to say he lost every now and then.

He also - allegedly - badly hospitalised a dude who jumped his back fence to challenge him to a fight.

Here's Gene Lebell, the stunt man whose apocryphal encounter with Bruce Lee is turned to fantasy in OUaTiH, participating in the first proto MMA fight in 1963. In addition to being a national Judo champion in the heavyweight division, Gene boxed in high school; meaning he's a more complete fighter than Bruce Lee was in 1966. Of course the fiction of the movie doesn't have to follow real events, but I'd thought the mythology of their interaction - of a friendly contest where Gene snatches Bruce up into several holds and generally clowns on him before befriending him and becoming a training partner - was a fairly well known piece of Bruce Lee mythology and I'd assumed that's what the scene was referencing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean cutie cast David carradine who took a role from bruce lee and spent 3 years in yellowface. Kinda curious for a guy who supposedly appreciates Asian cinems

If I were bruce that might seem like a surgical gently caress you

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There’s a million posts online declaring Bruce Lee as Not A Real Fighter, who would lose to a re MMA guy.

It kinda misses the point that he was a martial artist and actor who could also kick holes in 99% of people. Of course he loses to trained fighters, that’s not his thing. We don’t expect MMA fighters to be actors or martial artists of his level lol.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bruce did invent Jeet Kune Do. I'm not a fighter at all but my understanding is it's an effective fighting style based around self defense and disarming/disabling an attacker in as quick a manner possible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s also fun to read myriad posts about how he’d die to any MMA fighter as if 50 years of evolution have t occurred. Hot take!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Manson family were basically just hippy Neo-Nazis and anyone of them would've had it coming if they'd been shot with a flamethrower.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somebody already recommended it upthread but you absolutely need to check out Chaos, it is a mind-blowing book. With as many revelations as it contains, the author isn't willing to extrapolate one step further from the evidence he's obtained, but even if you stop exactly there you still have a dozen CIA working in close proximity to Manson, law enforcement treating him with kid gloves, and a document improperly redacted claiming that the MKULTRA mind-control experiments were a success.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have people not figured out that Tarantino is an exploitation film director yet? His whole deal is making actual Hollywood movies that are bigger budget exploitation films that aren't quite as gross (with some exceptions like Pulp Fiction).

This is pretty reductive. His films are examining the inner lives of archetypal pulp/exploitation characters and treating them as real people. That's the thesis of basically every film he's made since Pulp Fiction. The scene in Jackie Brown where Jackie practices her cool line and quick drawing her pistol, in the dark, is the best summation of this.

It's a parallel to Spielberg, who's spent massive chunks of his career doing what was once a B-movie, but it doing it to an A+ standard

mycot posted:

When Inglorious Basterds came out people absolutely thought Landa wasn't so bad because "at least he didn't believe in Nazism and wasn't loyal to Hitler"

Landa is QT's best character because it uses Christoph Waltz's ridiculous charisma to trick the audience into trying to 'clean wehrmacht' a character whose job is to hunt down jews.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowman_McK posted:

This is pretty reductive. His films are examining the inner lives of archetypal pulp/exploitation characters and treating them as real people. That's the thesis of basically every film he's made since Pulp Fiction. The scene in Jackie Brown where Jackie practices her cool line and quick drawing her pistol, in the dark, is the best summation of this.
Yes, but my point was that his biggest influence is exploitation films, and his works are generally in that genre or close to it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And also, specific to the ending of OUaTiH, that's what it is. What if instead of the sad reality it had ended like a movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

And also, specific to the ending of OUaTiH, that's what it is. What if instead of the sad reality it had ended like a movie.

That’s also Basterds and to a lesser extent Django. Basically saying “This is what should have happened and with the magic of cinema it will be.”

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

OUaTiH generally deals with the idea that movies go better than reality. Everything is so larger than life, and everything can be solved. Any obstacle can be surmounted, and any evil can be defeated in approximately 90-180 minutes. The ending is the clearest example of that, but that's also what I think explains the Bruce Lee scene. The greatest martial artist of his era is easily defeated by a fictional character.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Everyone knows Sharon Tate died in Hollywood. What this film presupposes is... maybe she didn't?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Its a fairy tale jeez

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1781879861029535813?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Heather Donahue got really hosed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1781434782494118039?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The industry has a long history of letting people down. Andy Merrill, who is basically the godfather of an entire channel after creating Space Ghost Coast to Coast, is currently working as an Amazon delivery driver because he gets zero residuals from SGC2C or The Brak Show. You know, two shows that he created and starred in. One of which is currently being celebrated by WBD for having its 30th anniversary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

The industry has a long history of letting people down. Andy Merrill, who is basically the godfather of an entire channel after creating Space Ghost Coast to Coast, is currently working as an Amazon delivery driver because he gets zero residuals from SGC2C or The Brak Show. You know, two shows that he created and starred in. One of which is currently being celebrated by WBD for having its 30th anniversary.
Jesus Christ, that's depressing :( Both those shows were incredible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Jesus Christ, that's depressing :( Both those shows were incredible.

Slight bright side is that he's gotten a lot of attention on his situation recently which will hopefully turn into more actual TV work for him.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought they repurposed clips from the original Space Ghost cartoon. That's normally the type of thing that creates rights nightmares and you typically don't get residuals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Simplex posted:

I thought they repurposed clips from the original Space Ghost cartoon. That's normally the type of thing that creates rights nightmares and you typically don't get residuals.

SGC2C reused some animation clips and cels, but the writing was entirely original. They even created a few new animations just for the show.

Brak Show was 100% original, I don't think they reused anything beyond the general character design.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

gently caress that's bleak

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Would have thought that Lightyear would have scared them off of the concept.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are they gonna steal Max Landis' script where the Space Train turns people into monsters because the human soul cannot move faster than light?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
But that can't be right; the human soul is weighed down by gravity!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Schwarzwald posted:

But that can't be right; the human soul is weighed down by gravity!

Exactly. Light cannot escape the gravity of a black hole, ergo the human soul is unable to move faster than light, otherwise it would not be trapped by the singularities gravity. Thus by the transitive property we know that the human cannot travel faster than light because it is weighed down by gravity. Max Landis is a respected authority in the field of Zeon Zum Deikun studies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It should be a horror movie using the ghost galaxy concept Disneyland uses around Halloween

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It should be a horror movie using the ghost galaxy concept Disneyland uses around Halloween

first im hearing about this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QLVjXqlIio

First time I ever road space mountain back in 2015 so it’s a bit nostalgic to me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The MSJ posted:

Are they gonna steal Max Landis' script where the Space Train turns people into monsters because the human soul cannot move faster than light?

Dude even stole that from a description of jet lag by William Gibson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dude even stole that from a description of jet lag by William Gibson.

Pattern Recognition is so good; the whole Blue Ant trilogy deserves more recognition.

I'd caught some of that ongoing SGC2C stream, had no idea about the creator. He should absolutely get more work, the writing holds up very well.