Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I remember kind of enjoying Pattern Recognition, but then I bought Spook Country and I never got around to reading it. Then I ended up buying, and re-reading, the Neuromancer trilogy and Idoru.

In the latters case the beginning and middle was good but the ending was a bit of a washout and made me realise some flaws with how Gibson writes at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
That trilogy started strong - or at least intriguing - and slowly faded. The Gibson writing tricks and style became more and more apparent - twice in "Zero History" he talks about someone looking at their reflection in the interior of a mirror elevator. And the ending and the whole Blue Ant element seemed like it was supposed to mean more than it actually did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked Zero History a lot, but I'm also a sucker for "bringing an old character back for a cameo just to check in on their life" schtick. Also the ugly T-shirt that breaks security cameras, and hiding the tracking device in the Russian mob lady's baby stroller so the poo poo tier fashion mercs get their poo poo kicked in.

Also I kinda lol about both the latter two bridge and blue ant books having a secondary character that's "hosed up neurotic guy in recovery that can do some crazy magic brain analysis you need" that you just kinda assume would be played by Jeremy Davies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
One more reason to hate RT and online review aggregators in general

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1783229675516395524?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if that were true Colin Treverrow would never work in this town again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that's stupid of them but I don't think that's a real reason to hate RT

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wouldn't box office of past movies be more relevant? Unless you're going for a prestige thing, I though the studios didn't care too much about if a film had people "liking" it or not.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

I was gonna say "good", but honestly I've gotten more enjoyment out of Book Of Henry than a lot of other movies that I've actually seen.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Seems like nonsense, I’m pretty sure they look up previous budget and box office first. Otherwise things would look Very different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Owen Wilson is in the news for turning down a multi million dollar payday to be in a movie saying that OJ wasn't the killer. Details are light but I'm assuming it will be based on the debunked theory that a serial killer was responsible.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Owen Wilson is in the news for turning down a multi million dollar payday to be in a movie saying that OJ wasn't the killer. Details are light but I'm assuming it will be based on the debunked theory that a serial killer was responsible.

Hey, we don't have all the details, maybe the multi million dollar film was somehow worse?

Unfortunately there can always be worse. :(

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Well, everyone knows OJ Simpson killed Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. What this film presupposes is... maybe he didn't.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[Owen Wilson voice] juice

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

Wouldn't box office of past movies be more relevant? Unless you're going for a prestige thing, I though the studios didn't care too much about if a film had people "liking" it or not.

It is or used to be. But because of streaming it's harder to gauge an actual number so they need some arbitrary thing to gate keep the industry with,

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

The article actually mentions him, though not in that context:

quote:

Elsewhere, up-and-coming directors, those who have a festival movie or two under their belts and are looking for the next step up, are getting boxed out. Long gone are the days of Colin Trevorrow making the jump from Sundance darling (Safety Not Guaranteed) to Jurassic World.
Hollywood can be pretty stupid sometimes, but it's good that they're learning that maybe indie filmmakers shouldn't be handling hundred million dollar VFX tentpole movies that they're totally unequipped for. Just because someone's a great at-home cook doesn't mean you should put them in charge of a TV dinner assembly line.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

It is or used to be. But because of streaming it's harder to gauge an actual number so they need some arbitrary thing to gate keep the industry with,

I know streaming services keep their numbers pretty tight often, but does anyone know if produces -at least the well established ones- or what not see those numbers officially or unofficially? Feels like that something that might get emailed around that lot quite a bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anyone who's ever worked for a corporation can tell you "decision makers" love metrics, no matter how asinine or senseless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anyone who's ever worked for a corporation can tell you "decision makers" love metrics, no matter how asinine or senseless.

This

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The one thing about numbers is that it's so easy to say one is bigger than another.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

*Billy Zane jumps out of a bush. “I couldn’t help but overhear that you require an actor”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In my field we call this the “Rate My Professors” effect.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I was gonna say "good", but honestly I've gotten more enjoyment out of Book Of Henry than a lot of other movies that I've actually seen.

And Duel Of The Fates would have been a better bookend for the new trilogy than Rise Of Skywalker.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The one where rey is revealed to be a cyborg? hosed but legitimately more interesting than what we got

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

The novel nor the movie indicate it's unreliable narrator poo poo. It's almost as if Bruce's behavior was different based on who he was interacting with and the context of those interactions.

Wait there's a book?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Wait there's a book?

Quentin wrote it himself, after the movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The one where rey is revealed to be a cyborg? hosed but legitimately more interesting than what we got

Synopsis for DOTF:

quote:

The First Order rules the galaxy with General Hux as its chancellor and has blocked communications across the galaxy. Still free from the First Order's control, Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, Rose Tico and BB-8 steal a Star Dreadnought from the occupied planet of Kuat and take it to Korilev, where surviving members of the Resistance, led by General Leia Organa, have established a new base.

Kylo Ren discovers a Sith holocron in Darth Vader's castle on Mustafar, which leads him to seek the training of a 7,000-year-old alien named Tor Valum, who taught Emperor Palpatine's master Darth Plagueis.

During his training, Kylo fights a phantom of Vader and masters the power to absorb life energy, which he uses to kill Tor Valum. Meanwhile, Rey learns from Jedi texts that the old Jedi Temple on Coruscant contains a device which can restore galactic communications. Finn, Rose, R2-D2, and C-3PO go to Coruscant to find the device, while Rey, Chewbacca, and Poe go to Bonadan in order to find the location of the planet Mortis, as Rey has seen a vision of herself dueling Kylo there. Leia convinces Lando Calrissian and his smugglers to join the Resistance for an attack on Coruscant.

On Coruscant, Finn and Rose find and activate the device, which should allow Leia to inspire rebellion across the galaxy, but they are found by First Order troops. Rose is captured, but Finn manages to escape: he fights a stormtrooper designated RK-514, and spares his life after defeating him. RK-514 sides with Finn, and they convince other First Order stormtroopers to defect as well.

Meanwhile, on Bonadan, Rey, Poe and Chewbacca succeed in locating Mortis, but they are attacked by Kylo's Knights of Ren. They succeed in defeating the Knights, but Rey instinctively uses Force lightning to kill one of the Knights after she remembers that they were the ones who killed her parents, and fears that she is in danger of falling to the dark side. Fearing for her friends' safety, Rey departs for Mortis alone, while Poe and Chewbacca return to the Resistance base.

On Coruscant, Finn leads a revolution against the First Order's forces with the help of droids, citizens, and the defected stormtroopers, while Leia, Poe, Chewbacca, Lando, and a Resistance army arrive to join the fight. When the First Order is ultimately defeated, Hux kills himself with a purple-bladed lightsaber. After escaping from captivity, Rose rewires the hyperdrive of the First Order's capital ship, causing it to crash above Coruscant when it attempts to escape.

On Mortis, Rey finds Kylo and battles him, but he blinds and nearly kills her. Luke Skywalker's Force spirit offers moral support to Rey, and she confronts Kylo for a second time. Rey says her masters were wrong to reject the dark side and embraces both, allowing her to defeat Kylo. Kylo attempts to kill Rey by draining her life energy, but Leia manages to contact him through the Force and convinces him to stop. As a result, he transfers his own life energy to Rey instead, healing her and saving her life at the cost of his own.

Before Kylo dies, his last words reveal Rey's true birth name to be Rey Solana. On the verge of death, Rey meets with the spirits of Luke, Yoda, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, who allow her to choose between staying dead or returning to life.

Finn, Poe, Rose, and Chewbacca receive medals at the Resistance base. Finn and Rose settle on Modesta, where they raise Force-sensitive children. Rey arrives at their homestead and vows to teach the children about the Force and how the balance of light and dark will maintain galactic peace.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
ahh centrism is the way

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rey starts a new Jedi order where every life you save gives you permission to kill someone else, because that's what balance means apparently.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

ahh centrism is the way

No, centrism would be the lame "grey jedi" thing that was never made explicitly canon. But there's always a sense in the main Lucas-related Star Wars stories (first six movies, The Clone Wars and Rebels) that Light vs Dark is not analogous to Good vs Evil.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Saddest Rhino posted:

No that’s from that famous writer who is a chud Alan dean foster

Allen peen poopster imo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

And Duel Of The Fates would have been a better bookend for the new trilogy than Rise Of Skywalker.

People who say this haven’t seen The Book of Henry.

Gonz posted:

Synopsis for DOTF:

fwiw the source for this has never been more than a random unvetted Reddit post and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Grey Jedi poo poo is so loving lame.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gonz posted:

Synopsis for DOTF:

I think Disney made the right call going with Baby Yoda instead of Dark Yoda.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

No, centrism would be the lame "grey jedi" thing that was never made explicitly canon. But there's always a sense in the main Lucas-related Star Wars stories (first six movies, The Clone Wars and Rebels) that Light vs Dark is not analogous to Good vs Evil.

Lucas had nothing to do with Rebels. Also none of the Lucas materials talk about a “light side” of the Force, only “the Force” and the “dark side.”

Pirate Jet posted:

fwiw the source for this has never been more than a random unvetted Reddit post and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Treverrow has acknowledged it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Lucas had nothing to do with Rebels. Also none of the Lucas materials talk about a “light side” of the Force, only “the Force” and the “dark side.”

While Rebels isn't Lucas directly, it is by Dave Filoni who basically the Vader to Lucas's Palpatine. A lot of the things he said have lined up with those Lucas himself said on the past.

And the Light vs Dark dichotomy did get covered in The Clone Wars (although maybe it wasn't called that).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

While Rebels isn't Lucas directly, it is by Dave Filoni who basically the Vader to Lucas's Palpatine. A lot of the things he said have lined up with those Lucas himself said on the past.

Filoni definitely thinks of himself like that, but if you look at the things that Filoni and Lucas have actually said, there's quite a lot of difference. Apologies for the formats but these are two lengthy posts by people who put their actual words side by side on things like Luke, Anakin, and the state of the prequel Jedi:

https://www.tumblr.com/jedi-order-apologist/698124259656155136/yeah-exactly-theres-a-world-of-difference

https://www.reddit.com/r/MawInstallation/comments/v52kq6/are_we_making_a_mistake_thinking_that_dave_filoni/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
George is the font and Filoni is basically Roy Thomas.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Treverrow has acknowledged it.

Also there was a full leaked script with concept art.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

No that’s from that famous writer who is a chud Alan dean foster
What is this claim based on? Just did a quick search and couldn’t turn up any interviews or events focused on his political beliefs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darthemed posted:

What is this claim based on? Just did a quick search and couldn’t turn up any interviews or events focused on his political beliefs.

I think it entirely comes from the fact that he didn’t like Last Jedi, and he also started a lawsuit against Disney on behalf of a lot of authors they just decided to stop paying. All the anti-Foster stuff suddenly started getting circulated right when that lawsuit was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I’ve never heard anything about Foster having lovely politics. Disney trying to gently caress him out of the royalties on the ANH novelization, and Splinter of the Mind’s Eye was bad and he wasn’t in the wrong for suing. I can’t imagine they sell that many copies of the latter nowadays, but they still printing it with a “Legends” banner on the cover. So he should be getting paid for it.