Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminder they seriously discuss whether it's worth giving AIDS medicine to Africans because they as we all know they don't have clocks and have no concept of time

...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sadly, that's a pretty accurate summary

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Barry, it's OK to admit it's a paycheck gig. Just make good on the "one for them one for you" thing like David Lowery or, sigh, Guy Richie and we'll forgive you.

https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/1784960376502911136

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 29, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ruben Fleischer filling in for Travis Knight on Uncharted at the last minute is a paycheck gig. Jenkins was attached to Mufasa when it was announced all the way back in 2020, so he's probably pretty invested in it at this point. That doesn't mean it'll be good, but most directors probably wouldn't stick around for four years on a project they didn't care about unless they really needed the money.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
That long development period is COVID imposed surely

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Animated projects are the one thing that didn't really get delayed during covid, since everything could be done remotely.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It is probably pretty thrilling to be a director on a project like that. Especially when you get to make most of the creative calls and you don't even have to go out on set. You sit in comfy review suites or cinesync in to those calls from your comfy home office and give directions, and an army of extremely talented artists make you commands reality. The director is guarded from the actual technical jargon and frustration by client side and vendor side vfx supes, and the vendor will be loath to disagree with anything the director says as Disney controls so much of the market share.

Directors who get annoyed at vfx films are those who did film stuff on set and then the film tests badly and have to keep going back out for reshoots, or to attend mocap shoots, or deal with executive meddling and politics to try to fix the film. Because at that point they also might have to consider that their decisions are the reason they keep being inconvenienced and then they suffer some angst.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
"it's Shakespeare!" contends man directing prequel to Shakespeare adaptation

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It is [babies first] Shakespeare.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You refuse to appreciate cat hamlet?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wait’ll this guy hears about Gnomeo and Juliet (Gnuliet?).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Baby's First or not, I have no problem with someone saying The Lion King is Shakespeare. The problem is, this isn't The Lion King. This is Disney's The Lion King: Young King Mufasa Rising: Origins

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Franchise Thought must be eliminated

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the thing is we already went through this with the direct to video sequel The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, which I think is still in canon somehow. And the 90s/00s era of straight to video sequels no one really remembers. (though the Aladdin ones were pretty great, probably because they tied in with the cartoon spinoffs, which generally were actually pretty good too)

Problem is that you end up with the worst of both worlds when you have Franchise Brain but also no long-term memory for anything, so poo poo becomes increasingly redundant as well as cliched and dull. See also Lightyear, which took none of what made Buzz Lightyear any fun in the cartoon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lightyear was such a bizarre movie. It purported to be what Andy saw in 1995 that made him want the toy, but so much of the film's subtext is wrapped up in it being a story about Buzz as a toy. Like, the whole thing about Buzz staying the same while everyone around him ages, or including a duplicate of the character within the narrative are the kind of things you only think of if you're already thinking of the character as a toy.

Plus the feel of the movie is way off. They tried to do Interstellar, but should have been making Lost in Space.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wait’ll this guy hears about Gnomeo and Juliet (Gnuliet?).

Gnomeo and Juliet fucks

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gnomeo and Juliet gently caresss

Yes, I am 12 years old

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Modern Leper posted:

Yes, I am 12 years old

How did you get a credit card

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785098715352465441
Sounds like a fun way to watch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should do this for Godzilla.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really love the idea of PLANET OF THE APES being like this staid, venerable sci-fi franchise. It's certainly earned it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really love the idea of PLANET OF THE APES being like this staid, venerable sci-fi franchise. It's certainly earned it.

The name helps, it wouldn't have the same sense of dignity if it was called MonkeyWorld

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is that the premise is perfect because there's no point in doing anything but playing it as straight as possible, because it's about a goddamn planet full of apes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOeUXEpxzcc

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785302969103061132?t=mRzMSl2mJh1LjlkSrhTpXA&s=19

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How can you be 7 hours late? Like what does that even look like? Is that 7 hours of "I'm on my way"? It's like an entirely different working day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

someone who is good with Hollywood accounting help me budget my movies are dying!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

How can you be 7 hours late? Like what does that even look like? Is that 7 hours of "I'm on my way"? It's like an entirely different working day.

Someone has never worked on a rap music video

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Isn't that the same thing he was complaining about Vin Diesel doing on the FF movies? (The being late part, not the peeing into bottles.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't wait until the Rock posts spreadsheets about his piss bottles on Instagram.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Small Strange Bird posted:

Isn't that the same thing he was complaining about Vin Diesel doing on the FF movies? (The being late part, not the peeing into bottles.)

Yeah, but even at the time any beef he had with Vince was pretty transparently about wanting to be the star of his own franchise, he came running back to the main series when his spin-off bombed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol at showing up 7 hours late but then peeing into water bottles to "save time"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Lightyear was such a bizarre movie. It purported to be what Andy saw in 1995 that made him want the toy, but so much of the film's subtext is wrapped up in it being a story about Buzz as a toy. Like, the whole thing about Buzz staying the same while everyone around him ages, or including a duplicate of the character within the narrative are the kind of things you only think of if you're already thinking of the character as a toy.

Plus the feel of the movie is way off. They tried to do Interstellar, but should have been making Lost in Space.

The whole time I was wondering, “Why is this a little kid’s favorite movie?”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s how he makes his energy drink

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dwayne Johnson’s ego getting completely out of control was honestly a bullet I thought he’d dodge. Or at least his team would talk him down after his superhero movie bombed. But here we are, and now his political ambitions are getting a lot clearer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, but even at the time any beef he had with Vince was pretty transparently about wanting to be the star of his own franchise, he came running back to the main series when his spin-off bombed.

Hobbes & Shaw didn't bomb. It was probably the failure of Black Adam that made him return to F&F. He was trying to use that movie to create his own section of the DC movie universe, which includes Henry Cavil returning as Superman. However this was done without taking into account WB's own plans for the franchise which involves James Gunn rebooting the whole thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hobbs and Shaw was actually fun and I’d happily pay to watch a sequel. Mainline F&F got too dumb so I skipped the last one and don’t see myself watching another.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The whole time I was wondering, “Why is this a little kid’s favorite movie?”

Kids love mid-life crises!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Hobbes & Shaw didn't bomb. It was probably the failure of Black Adam that made him return to F&F. He was trying to use that movie to create his own section of the DC movie universe, which includes Henry Cavil returning as Superman. However this was done without taking into account WB's own plans for the franchise which involves James Gunn rebooting the whole thing.

IIRC there was also the rumor going around about him refusing to show up in Shazam 2 even though the first movie's success was pretty much the only reason Black Adam got out of development hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm shocked to see this latest entry in the "Rock/Ryan Reynolds/Chris Evans streaming pile of trash, often with a two word name and a color" cinematic universe have trouble