Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jack B Nimble posted:

How can you be 7 hours late? Like what does that even look like? Is that 7 hours of "I'm on my way"? It's like an entirely different working day.

He shows up, but insists everyone undoes the work they did the previous day so they can do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

I'm shocked to see this latest entry in the "Rock/Ryan Reynolds/Chris Evans streaming pile of trash, often with a two word name and a color" cinematic universe have trouble

The Gray Man is at least interesting as an example of how big soulless media franchises can actually help filmmakers sometimes. The plot of "special agent on the run from his government with female sidekick, hunted by a dangerous man from his past" is shared between both it and Winter Soldier, but The Gray Man is just so boring, and lays bare what kind of filmmakers the Russo brothers are without being able to lean on characters people are already invested in or sci-fi whizbang action sequences.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was also the rumor going around about him refusing to show up in Shazam 2 even though the first movie's success was pretty much the only reason Black Adam got out of development hell.

I think it was basically just The Dwayne thinking that Black Adam is a serious character and he can't fight a goofy guy like Shazam while still being a cool guy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Rock is a man of the people.

https://twitter.com/aklingus/status/1785318653241770303?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

If he was smart he would play into this exact narrative, and then carry it on into a weird outsider bid for the GOP Presidential nomination 2028 where he outflanks the Dems on labor

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

“You’re booing because The Rock was a little late, that’s why you’re booing?” Johnson asked the crowd. “[The Rock] was watching YouTube, watching (Eagles quarterback) Jalen Hurts lose in the playoffs again.”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jack B Nimble posted:

How can you be 7 hours late? Like what does that even look like? Is that 7 hours of "I'm on my way"? It's like an entirely different working day.

He only missed like half the day.

The 9-5 equivalent is being 4 hours late.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anyone who's ever worked for a corporation can tell you "decision makers" love metrics, no matter how asinine or senseless.

one of my formative experiences in corporate life/data science was explaining in a meeting that a new metric didn't measure what it purported to measure and in fact was actively misleading and making everyone really mad at me

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1785206729497547194
:sickos:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love architecture-based drama so I'm here for whatever this is going to be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love architecture-based drama so I'm here for whatever this is going to be.

Wait this isnt gonna be Atlas Shrugged for buildings instead of trains is it

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't wait until the Rock posts spreadsheets about his piss bottles on Instagram.

Sunday is cheat day. He uses a bucket.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can you smell what The Rock is pissing?! His aim sucks, so probably.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

If he was smart he would play into this exact narrative, and then carry it on into a weird outsider bid for the GOP Presidential nomination 2028 where he outflanks the Dems on labor

Hurling piss bottles at politicians would also earn him some votes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was already an Atlas Shrugged for buildings it sucked too

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

MrBling posted:

I think it was basically just The Dwayne thinking that Black Adam is a serious character and he can't fight a goofy guy like Shazam while still being a cool guy.

The Rock being his action hero self around a bunch of children is such a good idea and I'm baffled that he couldn't see it. Arnold did it and everyone loved it!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785347791297900981

This seems like a good way to piss away all that Barbie clout

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

High Warlord Zog posted:

I don't understand this at all. I thought she had a better agent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Well ackshually the writer of Poor Things also has a lot to say about being a woman

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Her production company is developing it (along with a new Tank Girl, a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad The Ride The Movie, The Monopoly Movie and The Sims The Movie)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 1, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

High Warlord Zog posted:

This actually seems like it rules

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wouldn't be the first time a more talented writer took a Rob Liefeld creation and made it good.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm just not sure it'll make money even if it's fine.

I'm in the tank for the Tank Girl reboot, but there's no way there's an audience for it unless they make it very very cheaply.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 1, 2024

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

With that writer and that director it could be good. Although Dont Worry Darling was not well regarded.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a more talented writer took a Rob Liefeld creation and made it good.

I wanted to make a joke about the movie you’re inferring to being Bloodshot, a movie I haven’t seen, and up until now I just assumed he was a Liefeld creation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanted to make a joke about the movie you’re inferring to being Bloodshot, a movie I haven’t seen, and up until now I just assumed he was a Liefeld creation.

The Bloodshot movie sucked. It was like a bad throwback to old superhero movies where they were ashamed to be actually making a superhero movie and so he almost never actually looks like the comic character and nobody ever actually calls him "Bloodshot"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Surprisingly no!

But moreso referring to comics, although I suppose you could say that for movies, Deadpool fits the bill. Created by Liefeld, but then other writers actually made something of him.

But comics wise he created Supreme who was a lovely Superman knockoff, then Alan Moore got a hold of him and wrote some great stories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alan Moore can spin poo poo into gold so that isn't a huge surprise

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The Bloodshot movie sucked. It was like a bad throwback to old superhero movies where they were ashamed to be actually making a superhero movie and so he almost never actually looks like the comic character and nobody ever actually calls him "Bloodshot"

Weirdly, this approach worked extremely well the 2007 video game, The Darkness. I’m really surprised that hasn’t been adapted as a movie or tv show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weirdly, this approach worked extremely well the 2007 video game, The Darkness. I’m really surprised that hasn’t been adapted as a movie or tv show.

That probably worked better because they leaned into the supernatural noir horror instead.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really love the idea of PLANET OF THE APES being like this staid, venerable sci-fi franchise. It's certainly earned it.

??? You already lived in a world where PLANET OF THE APES was a staid, venerable sci-fi franchise. Having the Statue of Liberty show up in a scene is still the quickest way of telling an audience the scene is set in earth's future. It's like two venerable sci-fi franchises now. All of the new movies being decent is a nice change of pace, I'll admit.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 1, 2024

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s easy to forget now because Barbie was a legitimate pop culture phenomenon but Robbie’s career was in trouble immediately before it because she’d starred in several high-profile flops all in a row. Bombshell, Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad, Amsterdam, and then Babylon is an impressive losing streak.

I think she’ll probably be fine especially because she has her own production company now but it’s entirely possible she goes back to making bad decisions post-Barbie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s easy to forget now because Barbie was a legitimate pop culture phenomenon but Robbie’s career was in trouble immediately before it because she’d starred in several high-profile flops all in a row. Bombshell, Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad, Amsterdam, and then Babylon is an impressive losing streak.

Wasn't The Suicide Squad at least a modrate hit, i mean their making a sequel. Was an audience and critical hit at least, and even her flops seems like everyone always agreed she was the best part of them.

Even if she was in a few flops seemed like she was still consider a big name talented actor. Maybe i missed it but i don't remember ever hearing anything bad about her audince draw or what ever.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And wasn't Birds of Prey an early COVID release? I feel like people were generally pretty positive on that one, and I think if she did a solo Harley movie again it'd do well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dr_rat posted:

...even her flops seems like everyone always agreed she was the best part of them.

Ironically since everyone agreed she was the worst part of Barbie, her one mega hit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

Ironically since everyone agreed she was the worst part of Barbie, her one mega hit.

I don't think everyone agrees on anything, but America Ferrera was the worst part of Barbie, along with the weirdness of Rhea Perlmans scene

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Did many people think she was bad? I thought some people just thought Ryan Gosling was better, which I mean, Ryan Goslings a pretty great actor and I'd say a more fun part to play, so you got a bit of a high bar to pass there.

Sort of like saying people preferred Alan Rickman to Bruce willis in Die Hard, doesn't mean they thought Bruce willis wasn't great in that, but comm'on Alan rickman!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't think everyone agrees on anything, but America Ferrera was the worst part of Barbie, along with the weirdness of Rhea Perlmans scene

I have heard the exact opposite.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The MSJ posted:

I have heard the exact opposite.

Well there u go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Rhea Perlman stuff was extremely loving weird, and I mean that even relative to a movie where toys exist in an alternate dimension to ours and we accidentally teach one toxic masculinity. The entire last act went on far too long and felt out of place, but that "Ruth's ghost" poo poo was particularly ill fitting.