Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Simplex posted:

The fun alien conspiracy stuff is infested with the same bullshit, sorry.

Yeah, when you realize it's "oops all antisemitism!", it becomes less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

:yikes:

the 90s really were peak validation for a certain kind of paranoid white guy

I remember talking to a friend about this while watching the '90s TV miniseries "Wild Palms": the rise of conspiracy culture and media had a lot to do with the "defeat" of Communism with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the thought neoliberalism had won and we were now on the verge of the End Of History. We no longer had these external enemies to fight or be on the watch for, but all the problems were still around, but no one could finger "capitalism" as the culprit because there were no longer alternatives. Instead, because people were taught about the dichotomy of East vs. West and Communism vs. Capitalism over decades, people started internalizing the threat as something beyond businesses, billionaires, and nation-states and began entertaining that there were secret societies and conspiracies operating above the law.

I will end this that I come to the belief that antisemitic conspiracy theories are white people telling on themselves: its easier to project their privilege, their private laws, onto a marginalized group than actually see their own place in the hierarchy and do something about it. After all, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, that hoary old conspiracy theory that a secret cabal of Jewish people ran the world, was written by the secret police of Tsar Nicolas II, whose family, the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, ran Russia, Britain (under Nick's cousin George V), Germany (Wilhelm II) and countless other minor imperial European nations, like Portugal and Belgium.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

galagazombie posted:

I refuse to believe someone couldn’t invent a fake gun with realistic looking recoil and flash/smoke in like a month. It’s simply cheaper for the people in charge to have some peasant occasionally die from a Baldwin.

Something like high-quality airsoft guns have been in a lot of productions. For example, the John Wick films.

https://twitter.com/funEman_/status/1637933685155713024?s=20

All the muzzle flashes are added in post and the gun sounds are all foley work and sound editing anyway to be consistent. The John Wick films especially have non-firing non-blank prop weapons because the director Chad Staheklsi was Brandon Lee's stunt double on The Crow and has basically vowed never to put anyone in that type of situation ever again as he's stunt coordinator and director.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought you meant falling down escalators at first.

Yeah, the tweet was the quickest thing I could bring up since it was still fresh in my mind, so I can understand the confusion, but you can clearly hear the gas from the guns going off in the clip.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat, that's fascinating trivia I was not aware.

I must say the gunstuff looks pretty realistic in the Wicks franchise (within the heightened world and all the other stuff going on). I guess you lose a lot of the performance with a non-firinf prop, i.e. the operator grimacing, blinking, tensing under the recoil. But if your characters are all superhuman gun pros anyway it works that they no-sell the shot completely like Robert Patrick as the T1000

The other bonus it allows for some really brutal action choreography without endangering other performers. Like you can't exactly get these point blank headshots that's typical in the John Wick films with blank-firing guns because even at those ranges can be lethal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda wild how Tarantino can make someone cool again and then they waste that opportunity. Samuel L. Jackson grabbed onto that opportunity with both hands while Travolta and Myers choose...differently.

Let's be fair about this, Travolta rode that cool train for a good 15-20 years from a central role in one of Tarantino's films, Myers had essentially a cameo in Basterds as a Michael Fassbinder's prissy superior. It's not like he was out there clubbing Nazis.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I think suggesting that Travolta's ride on the cool train for a decade is more than fair considering that during that time period he made Michael, Phenomenon and Battlefield Earth. More realistically it ended three years with Face/Off as the last stop.

ngl I enjoyed Michael and Phenomenon and Face/Off is where it started to slow down, not stop. The cool train stopped at From Paris With Love, because he was basically recycling his Swordfish and Taking of Pelham 123 remake characters.

But, to go back to Mike Myers, I really think we should have had an Austin Powers sequel by now where he's reactivated into the Jason Bourne/Craig-era Bond movies and has to compete against "gritty" "post 9/11" threats. Like, he gets into a fight, the editing goes all Paul Greengrass and he becomes so confused and disoriented that he just starts vomiting from motion sickness.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Too bad the Ukrainian voice actor for Paddington is busy these days.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Piell posted:

Gonna be extremely funny when all the chuds turn on her for making Harry Potter woke

Yeah, they might be trying to plan for seven seasons over ten years, but if they cast a black girl for Herimone, that poo poo ain't lasting past one season. The only liberals watching this tend to be the closet racist ones with nostalgia for the films, and they'd bemoan why they couldn't get someone that looks like Emma Watson.

I wonder if the lopsided timeframe means we will have wait 3 years for the first season, since they clearly haven't cast anyone yet in time for the Max presentation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Optimistic of you to think that Max will last that long.

Maybe that's what they're counting on. Max implodes in a year or two, David Zaslav and his Discovery bros get shitcanned, and Warner Bros. quietly pulls the plug on Joanne's big retcon comeback.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

precision posted:

Why hasn't there been Shin Godzilla 2, anyway

I have a feeling a Shin Godzilla 2 would resemble Aliens than a traditional Godzilla movie, based off the hints at the tail end of the film.

(pun intended)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I can see this being made as a super scary low budget film.

Can Markiplier pull it off? I dunno, I admit I pretty much only know him from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCEcWmxrRKU

I do know he has made other projects though. So I won't dismiss him out of hand.

His choose-your-own-adventure science fiction epic last year was practically a feature-length film, given how much content was filmed for it.

But yeah, seeing that, he can handle a set, cast & crew, editing, and a lot of the same things a film director would face. Everything there is basically the quality of a low-budget DTV release.

https://youtu.be/j64oZLF443g

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sorry, best I can do is 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1MvSkNKb0

(Although this has Lee and Cushing in it, it is by no means good)

Also re: Hopping Vampires (Jiangshi) you should look up Mr. Vampire and Encounters of the Spooky Kind which are both incredibly entertaining.

Don't forget Robo Vampire, which features Z-tier Robocop machine-gunning hopping vampires and a topless ghost lady.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I think McBride has a more chaotic and violent energy to him that would fit the judge better. I can easily picture him dancing a naked jig or gleefully getting some random guy hung.

Agreed. Although, at this point, I have to agree with a random tweet that said Judge Holden should be all CGI, just to really sell the uncanniness of him. He's would be a character who exists on an entirely different plane or state of reality than the others, who are grounded in our being. Everyone looking like the Deadwood cast with the grimeness filter rolled past 100% but the Judge is basically a translucent white Thanos.

quote:

Honestly I think there is a greater danger with them miscasting The Kid. I can't really think of any relatively young actor that can pull off that character. Jeremy Allen White is probably a good bet but it will end up Timothy Chalamet.

If the perfect Holden was '90s John Goodman, I will say that the perfect Kid would be Friday Night Lights-era Jesse Plemons. Also, I can't really hand it to James Franco, but perfect Toadvine would be Scott Glenn.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wonder if we're going to see a SAG-AFTRA strike soon over this. Feels like "studio owns the rights to your likeness in perpetuity" is definitely something to strike over.

davidspackage posted:

lol, studios and streaming services are probably dreaming of a future where AI generates movies for them based on current trends and starring actors who have been dead for decades, without any more cost than computer time. No more new art, just recycled and regurgitated bits of old, glued back together. Horrible.

More and more I think of it, Michael Crichton's Looker was downright prescient for 1980.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Can't wait for Cage's thinly-veiled Viktor Bout to get released to the Russians, who put him on TV to talk about how "Americans believe in 32 genders" and other culture war bullshit to make them feel happy about being in a losing war.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i love how all kojima does now is watch poo poo and go "what an exquisite good time!"

His one sentence reviews of "Just watched (blank)" with just an image of him in the theater and the movie poster have become infamously , instantly damning for a movie. Like people saw his Super Mario Bros tweet and turned on the movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I don't think the world is ready for that level of violence on screen

Godzilla using silat on some kaiju would be boss.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Probably the last time we'll see this, given Musk deleted accounts that haven't posted within 30 days.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tina Turner died.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1661442743821025280?t=74DLMyJ14WcPSibu927-4w&s=19

https://www.reuters.com/world/singer-tina-turner-dies-aged-83-2023-05-24/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

While everyone is mourning Tina Turner and rightfully so, it looks like Kenneth Anger of Scorpio Rising and Hollywood Babylon fame has passed.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1661425985588264961?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think that The Thing is possibly a non-sapient mindless creature unless its a imitating a sapient creature and even then it isn't really self-aware, but just a P-Zombie with a directive to survive and infect others. Although it could also be self-aware though because it knows how to build a UFO. Heck the people its imitating might not even be aware that they are The Thing except when its instincts take over. When its just blood, its not able to respond intelligently.

I think its far more interesting and scary if the audience isn't made aware how it operates. It could be an animal acting on instinct or a malicious being that knows exactly what it is doing.

We are shown, multiple times, that the Thing possess an intelligence. It knows when to ambush targets of opportunity like Bennings or the dogs; it recognizes MacReady's growing influence over the group and schemes to convince others that MacReady is a Thing and eliminate him, which it almost pulls off; it makes arrangements to separate and ambush the others by loving with the power, cutting the guide ropes, etc. ; and the Blair Thing is clearly building an escape craft so it can leave Antarctica before things get bad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Come And See posted:

I like that Thingied Wilford Brimley knows enough to fake being fine but not enough to take down the noose.

The noose was to help him down the hole to build the escape ship.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SAG-AFTRA strike is greenlit. https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1665906322041356288?t=cwa8nToND4aMeIjGCQhrZA&s=19

One step closer to a Hollywood general strike.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Did his career even die that it needs to be resurrected? His production company won an Oscar, despite him being fired off of "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This isn’t a certainty, but Indy 5 may open lower than Crystal Skull did

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1666841911871586305?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Crystal Skull made $100 million opening weekend

They really should have just reintroduced Short Round.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, his last tweet. He just mowed his lawn earlier today.
https://twitter.com/Rtreatwilliams/status/1668328124181012480?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

AI is just going to become another artist's tool or, when sufficiently advanced, a budget-cutting measure.

Doing it for real will still have prestige and be the preferred approach. Historically, all the artists thought that the camera was going to kill them but it turns out it did not.

There's also ways to ethically use the technology (alas, they did not go that route to start).

I think that intro is a mixed bag. Some of it looks pretty good. Some of it just flat out looks like a bad gen that I would toss in the delete pile. Bad AI has a very particular "look" and it's all over that intro.

I agree, it looks like a rough draft. None of the aliens look like Skrulls, just generalized aliens. You can tell what is supposed to be a credited actor, but the AI renders make them unrecognizable. You can see where they could have used this as inspiration and had human animators do that opening so they can keep that protean look and vibe but make it a helluva lot more polished. But someone looked at this and signed off on it.

It's the video equivalent of Iron Maiden's "Dance Of Death" Poser Art album cover.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Imagine being hired to produce art that you then feed into a machine which will replace you once it has been fed enough. What a distopian world we unfortunately exist in.

The thing is that if you feed too much into it, it starts pulling already produced AI art and starts accepting the various flaws like hands with too many fingers or mouths with too many teeth, until the only thing it starts spitting out is Cronenbergian monsters made of all hands and teeth.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1676363571033411584?s=20

https://twitter.com/ATafoyovsky/status/1676491748602974209?s=20

gently caress this movie and gently caress jim caveziel

and gently caress mira sorvino for being in it

drat shame it seems like Oliver Stone has fallen into all this, but it was probably expected.

Mira Sorvino has been appearing in a lot of these chud epics and I'm not sure what's the cause for this. Like, I get she's been distrustful of Hollywood because of Harvey Weinstein but has she also gone all QAnon as well?

Asterite34 posted:

This is the dumbest premise and I have so many questions

Chuck Palahniuk wrote something similar "Adjustment Day". I heard it wasn't very good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, It may of been a trashy mess, but at least it sometimes managed to be an enjoyable trashy mess. 90's hollywood loved cyberpunk but other than the Matrix it was just really bad at them, but at least some of them were laughably bad. Movies trying to visualize the internet in the 90's never gets old.

It has a soundtrack that's better than the movie.

Also, came out in 1995, the year of cyberpunk apparently, because Johnny Mnemonic, Hackers, Strange Days and Ghost In The Shell came out the same year.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Having seen a lot of his films, no, he didn't. Every now and then he nailed it, though. Nemesis was one of those times.

I love how Nemesis has this grimy, low-rent quality clashing against the slicker trappings of the genre. Like there's bits where it's more action Johnny Mnemonic then you have some straight-up Tetsuo The Iron Man Japanese cyberpunk poo poo popping in. It really gets the "high-tech, low-life" vibe.

I only have minor complaints, like I really would have had Pyun rollback some of his Blade Runner fanboy and made the LAPD something like the global police or some North American Union police force (it doesn't really matter, considering the original story for Nemesis was "Alex Rain" and was about a female FBI detective fighting a Neo-Nazi infiltration of the agency before they went with the cyborg angle), as well as change Shang-Loo into just Hawai'i. I mean, it's clear Angie and his gang of Red Army Hammerheads are Hawai'ian, with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa having this Hawai'ian accent and their dress. But I am willing to forgive it because it tries new poo poo, like the skullgun or the opening sequence.

I think stuff like Nemesis, proto-Fallout Radioactive Dreams, and Mean Guns are his better films.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

There were 3-4 million zombies, is the thing, which is what I notice people miss. I should have been more expansive in my original reply, but I didn't want to make up the numbers.

A M30A1 with Alternate Warhead, fired from the M142 HIMARS and M270 MLRS multiple launched rocket systems, are designed for soft targets such as light armored vehicles and infantry, putting as many as 180,000 tungsten darts into a blast radius of over 2 and half football fields and a dispersion of around 1 high-velocity dart for every square meter. A full salvo of six can disperse over a million tungsten darts over an artillery grid coordinate square (1km by 1km), earning it the nickname of "grid square remover". The average artillery brigade has 9 such launchers and they can reload within 9 minutes.

Entirely irrelevant factoid to the discussion at hand.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Holy poo poo.

People don't really realize how ridiculous powerful military ordinance actually is, especially in high-density urban environments. If a military aircraft accidentally armed and dropped a single Mk 82 500 lbs iron bomb on a 8-lane freeway during rush hour, it's 30m x 80m ellipsoid blast area would about severely damage and destroy 120 automobiles and probably killing and injuring up to 200 people. Anyone standing within 250 meters of ground zero have a 10% of getting hit and being incapacitated (read: killed or so severely wounded they require immediate medical attention) by fragments. And that's just a standard bomb, nothing specifically designed for anti-personnel. And a single one: since we've had a rogue A-10 pilot before who flew with live bombs, an A-10 with 30 of these things would potentially destroy 1500-3000 vehicles in a mini-"Highway of Death", with who knows how many casualties. A rogue A-10 bombing a traffic-jammed highway would likely beat out 9/11 in terms of lives loss. That's how much firepower is in one of these things.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah. Keep in mind that everything a modern military uses is used with the anticipation that what they're shooting at is protecting themselves, by dispersing, hiding, taking cover, entrenching...whatever. Zombies aren't doing anything like that. In fact, the book specifies that they're driven on some level to group up. Against a zombie horde, they're not really 'appropriate' but more in the sense of being staggering overkill rather than not good enough at killing. The M109 Paladin (a self propelled artillery gun) can fire 4 rounds a minute, for instance at a maximum effective range of 22 km. It can do that because it needs to blanket entire areas with shells because the people in those areas have done things to make themselves harder to hit. Zombies have not done that. It is heavily armoured and able to move itself around because it is anticipated that quick moving things like helicopters or tanks might be looking for it. Zombies cannot do that.

Even something like rows and rows and concertina wire and razor wire would be detrimental, since the wire is usually considered to stop infantry momentarily, enough to hit them with small arms, grenades, or squad heavy weapons as the opfor tries to dismantle or blow up the wire. Zombies don't do that, so they would not only get cut to shreds blindly charging or crawling into them, they'd also get tangled up and get crushed underfoot by the momentum of their fellow zombies. TBF, zombies crowds crushing less-than-mobile zombies is rarely considered, but it happens so often with panicked crowds that it's hard to ignore. Someone blows off the legs of the front row of a zombie with an M2 .50 cal, grenades, or land mines, and the zombies behind them continue walking over them until they're paste.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SAG-AFTRA strike greenlighted... https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679400852937637888?t=mrP3hfubrDef7npnQEMTRA&s=19

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IATSE now calling for strike authorization. A strike would shut down Broadway and touring theatrical productions.

Edit: Also, sadly predictable scab behavior from Tom Cruise...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love that the son Kurt is mentioning is now an actor in his own right. Wyatt Russell must have been 9 or 10 at the time of this story.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The creature designs in this look rad I still need to see it

Monster designs so good that Resident Evil VIllage ripped them off (allegedly)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like William Friedkin passed on...
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1688592504705196032?s=20

Looking at Wikipedia, man had so many unrealized projects that eventually ended up getting made into movies by other people: An adaptation of Blatty's "Legion", which Blatty himself made as Exorcist III; a Desperate Hours remake that eventually got made with Mickey Rourke and Anthony Hopkins; an adaptation of Shooter with Tommy Lee Jones, which did get made by Antonie Fuqua and Mark Wahlberg, and probably led to Friedkin's own The Hunted with Jones in 2003; and was the original director attached to I Am Wrath, which was to star Nick Cage, but both got replaced by Chuck Russell and John Travolta.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also the critics were down on it because it was a remake of a very highly regarded French thriller (or another adaptation of the source novel if you want to split hairs)(in addition to Sorceror also watch Wages of Fear which is equally great)

I saw Sorceror before Wages Of Fear and really found Wages lacking. The character introductions really add to the story and I found Porvenir a far more desperate place than Las Piedras: there's only one woman in Porvenir, an elderly cleaning woman, in comparison to the main characters in Wages flirting with showering girls and even have girlfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1695096196669268188

Welp....that certainly says a lot for hopes of this strike ending anytime soon.

Couldn't find a better retort than this...
https://twitter.com/cadlymack/status/1695138613254819883?s=20