Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That story is all kinds of a mess and I really wonder what version or details of it they're gonna cover.

Sanitizing it is the coward's move but that's what I definitely suspect comes of anything shy of a miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, to paraphrase myself from another thread, Sizemore was so good at playing disgusting pieces of poo poo because he fuckin lived it.

See also: James Woods!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nothing sums it up better than what a complete misfire the X-Files revival, in early 2016, was. The first of those two seasons had 3 good goofy episodes where everyone who wasn't the showrunner did a monster of the week funtime case, and then Chris Carter wrote a war on terror episode that was thinly veiled Charlie Hebdo poo poo and a two-parter about "what if Alex Jones was RIGHT?!" where it turned out vaccines were actually going to kill us all, literally called "My Struggle, part I & II".

I'm not making this up, he could not have created something to age worse if he tried.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Do we really want to risk unleashing another smash month single on our world?

I have terrible news if you're worried about Smash Mouth breaking quarantine.

Pun intended.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Beachcomber posted:

Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

I feel like Nolan and Memento is a success story.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s funny how everyone says “turtle turtle” to make fun of master of disguise but nobody can be bothered to even remember what was bad about love guru not even “the guru pitka” followed by him cringe mugging at the camera

See you say that but I definitely cannot forget that he tries to make Mariska Hargitay's name into a catchphrase all throughout that movie.

Like, the actress, not a character she plays.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand why that took so long to make

It was in development so long that at least one film ripping off the concept already came out like 2 years ago

The stories I have heard are basically "the dude who created it was granted too much control and it became a boondoggle as he had no idea how films were made". Who knows how long that early gossip applied to slowing this down, though, it has been years.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's literally the name of a UCLA app, at the least. That name seems like it's risking some fires.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'd put Men in Black 3 down as a good one, but none of the others worked for me past the first.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pirate Jet posted:

What went wrong with Security Breach? I stopped paying attention to the games after like the third one.

From memory: first time handing it off to a full external studio, crunched on time and budget, it was ambitious beyond the slide-show or turn-based, limited environments of prior titles in a full open-ended after hours theme park area, and then it was BROKEN AS gently caress

Like, massive parts of it lacked collision and AI was jank as poo poo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The short version is an individual who was very in over their head somehow wrangled international queer wrestlers for an event, got them to fly out for it from all over, may have been incredibly inappropriate with at least one of them, borrowed money from a too-forgiving mother to reserve the venue but not enough to pay the wrestlers, or at least all of them, and then while all of this was collapsing around them in the wake of the incident, they declared they were gonna go on the then-announced Netflix Squid Game-as-game show series to make sure everyone got their cash and mom got paid back.

I'm glossing over the details but it was a loving mess. "The saga beginning" was a lot of people going "RED FLAGS, RED FLAGS" as the booking happened.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sometimes it seems like he forgets what people want to see while watching a movie. The whole Mad Hatter dance is something I can't imagine anyone ever enjoying, it's on par with the McDonald's dance scene from Mac & Me.

Nothing sums up how much the machine has changed since that era like Disney trying to copyright strike every meme about that scene out of existence as opposed to these days where they'd release it as a shitpost template for cheap marketing

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Schwarzwald posted:

Notably, this change did not happen everyone else at the same time it did in the US. There was a big thing for a few years where Japanese anime fans would reimport American DVDs because they'd be priced so much cheaper.

This is arguably more of a thing now that the US and Japan share the same blu-ray region code. There have definitely been some "this collection of Japanese TV is sabotaged in a US release" events. The first legit Kamen Rider release was made of... TV broadcast editions of the show (vs home video) and hard-subs. Makes sense when you realize it was a $60 US box set which was competing with $300+ worth of multiple-package releases in its home country.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Alex Garland hasn't done wrong so far, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. (Although I haven't seen Men, so this take could be laughably wrong)

You're me before I saw Men.

I definitely don't trust him blindly with this one anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

davidspackage posted:

I liked Men well enough, it was anything but subtle, but pretty wild. Any particular reasons why you guys disliked it so much?

I found it incredibly dull and free of his usual panache until the final sequence, which I'll admit was a real memorable bit. But that's it. That's literally all that worked for me in the film, the rest of it was warmed over thriller clichés.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Chairman Capone posted:

Have I found a fellow Minion Death Commando?

There are dozens of us.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

muscles like this! posted:

Remember when the Razzies nominated an actual child?

I feel like this has happened at least twice now but gently caress if I'll be bothered to check.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But yeah, insanely dumb sounding and not sure why you'd even do a civil war movie if you didn't want to explore the politics of it. You could have just done any war or left it even more vague/abstract.

Hell, a vague one sounds like a better angle for making it frightening. Major networks are offline, perhaps your region has had cables cut to it and you're not sure who's friend or foe based on the last things you hear. Which way do you go, do you hunker down? Can you trust anyone in town who claims to have a line to the outside world or is this a power grab? A lot of uncertainty seems like the kind of thing that he'd work really well with for tension, and yet...

Instead he started from one of the dumbest possible points and every elaboration has only made it seem even sillier.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Alan Smithee posted:

also he wrote DMC what

He was a script punch-up guy for Ninja Theory for years. Once upon a time he was very open about that and then deleted the very candid posts he had written about working with them because he was going around talking immeasurable amounts of poo poo about the scriptwriter right before moving into screenplays. The line that's always stuck with me was "Tameem described [a Journey to the West analogue character] kicking a slave hanging on for dear life as a bad rear end act of a man who didn't care, whereas I just thought [character] sounded like a oval office."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I dunno that I find him terrible but I got mad at Hateful Eight and haven't been back for anything of his since, don't plan to change that. He's definitely a guy with a style, and that style began to grate on me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I admit my grudges about it are half-irrational. I hate that you literally can't puzzle out the mystery in the first half, it cheats, and also I ended up sitting through the whole thing because we expected our theater to do the intermission bit, but they didn't, so when we realized how deep we were info the film while disliking it, it still became "gently caress it, let's see it through"