Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'all are cowards for actually posting this thread instead of letting Driftingmouse languish in despair about it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

D&D movie looks fun. Don't really see where the complaints about it are coming from, if it took itself any more seriously than it is then it wouldn't be a D&D movie anymore.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

You could use the players at the table as a framing device for the story, do like a Princess Bride kind of thing where you show players around the table occasionally, have the DM as the narrator.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising did that and it was quite good for what it was.

Honestly, that's probably the best D&D movie we're ever going to get.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

The sequel, Gamers 2, is also pretty solid.

Never saw the third one and learning that the creators did like 10+ minute walk n talk at a convention about Firefly I sorta passed on anything else they did after that.

Also I still like the third D&D movie, because it's 100% "GM's first evil campaign" right down to all the clichés of a Paladin masquerading as an evil guy (and forced to do eeeeevil things), and that one player who really, really loves playing evil characters.
The story is naff but it's so fun seeing all the clichés being played seriously that I can't help but to love it.

The third was poo poo, it was about a tcg tournament and just didn't work.

The second one (the aforementioned Dorkness Rising) is really good though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark Sun movie when, you cowards?

RAVENLOFT MOVIE WHEN?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Does anyone really buy that this is Tarantino's last movie

Honestly, even if he is serious about it right now, he's too much of a movie guy to not want to make another one a few years into retirement

He's spent ages talking about how he wants his career to end at ten movies and this'll be number ten, so...I can buy it. Kinda.

(You just have to count the two parts of Kill Bill as one movie or ignore Death Proof to make it work.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I think its very important to remember that during the era Bell was active, a lot of the conspiracy poo poo he dealt with was seen as more "acceptable", for lack of a better word, than it is today. Like, the problems were always there just beneath the surface, but the popular opinion was that is was perfectly harmless at the time. And pop-culture was more than happy to mine that stereotype for comedy gold - look at those kooks, aren't they silly? Surely they'd never be able to pull off an insurrection! Your Dale Gribble's, that radio guy from 2012 - or for that matter, just about everything Roland Emmerich's ever done - that's what the average American thought when they heard "conspiracy theories" back in the day.

It wasn't until QAnon found an audience and people started to realize just what kind of person was actually eating this poo poo up before public opinion really started to shift.

I am incredibly glad that the King of the Hill revival is seemingly dead. I don't even want to imagine what Dale Gribble in the year 2023 would be like.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Do you know something more recent than the show being ordered by Hulu on January 31? That's the last I'd heard about it.

Well gently caress, that's new to me. The last I had heard was that no one wanted to do it because of Luanne and Lucky's VAs both being dead.

Timby posted:

It comes out this summer.

Goddammit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

well why not posted:

Renfield looks like fun, and I think the group therapy angle could be really interesting.

Tommy Wiseau should probably be in jail.

On what charges?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Last time I checked the only one of these live action adaptations that most people were positive on was The Jungle Book ‘16. Dumbo was actually pretty good but I don’t think a ton of people saw it.

But they don’t seem to be slowing down with these things.

I thought Cinderella was good! Honestly probably the best of all of them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

mycot posted:

Modern Harry Potter fandom is 100% nostalgia wanking and the #1 rule to nostalgia is to never revisit your memories. The Fantastic Beasts movies are bad but they also show that people aren't going to accept new Harry Potter content for the sake of content. I can't really see a reboot turning out well other than the initial flash in the pan publicity.

I still stand by the first Fantastic Beasts movie being good. Not GREAT, but it was fine and enjoyable and I had a good time with.

Everything after that though, loving hell...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He wrote Shin Ultraman and directed Shin Kamen Rider. In America, Ultraman already got a one-night Fathom Events thing, Kamen Rider’s is coming up on May 31st.

I pray that he's at least considering Shin Super Sentai.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Wait there's a new Ghostbusters sequel?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I thought Anchorman 2 was largely pretty ehhh except for the fight scene toward the end which is the highlight of the entire thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cacator posted:

Also "this birthmark is the reason why we have special powers", nobody gives a poo poo just rip some heads off.

THE ARCANA

God it's so loving stupid.

joylessdivision posted:

Wait Kano was in the reboot movie?!

I have seen it and I honestly don't remember much about it. I was talking to a friend last night about this news and I said the new MK Movie was "Both better and worse than the original".

Kano was the only good part of the reboot movie. He spends most of the film just poo poo-talking the rest of the cast and it's great.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am convinced, CONVINCED that Warner wanted the Arcana to be a thing like Sonic recolors or Harry Potter houses or whatever for marketing. It's the only way I can think of to explain why they would do something so stupid.

I am convinced they were hoping people would start making their own Mortal Kombat OCs and be on social media talking about THEIR ARCANA or whatever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Cole's power is so loving stupid too.

It's quite literal plot armor lmao.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Still mad the movies not named Fast X Furious.

'FAS-TEN YOUR SEATBELTS' DAMMIT IT WAS RIGHT THERE

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

World's End is fine but compared to Shaun and Hot Fuzz, it just can't hold a candle.

Scott Pilgrim is as good as adaptation as you were going to get with a single movie. It cuts out so much of the characterization and little moments from the comics though and then it has to do a completely different ending since the final volume wasn't out yet.

I don't think the movie goes far enough in going 'no, Scott really is an awful piece of poo poo' unfortunately.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Viper.
Renegade.
Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.
Forever Knight.
Beastmaster.
Xena: Warrior Princess.
Tales From The Crypt.
Kindred: The Embraced.
Weird Science.
She-Wolf of London.

If you can ignore that the leads are shitheads...Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

90s syndicated tv was the loving best.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a rewatch of Relic Hunter.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Well you see you have the solution in you're post. Just cleverly write it so they only interact with inviable things. Maybe have them fight an invisible villian with invisible henchpeople. You know that sort of thing.

If they do have to have them interact with visible things, just set that scene in a warehouse at night which has all it's lights broken. Look with "good" writing, saving money on FX isn't that hard!

Hell, wrestling figured this poo poo out years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

How much disney star wars was good, anyway? Just Andor?

It's not as COMPLETELY dire as people act.

Force Awakens was decent and had its moments.
I thought the Last Jedi was great but that's contentious so.
Andor is great.
Mandalorian has like one and a half good seasons.
Rogue One is mostly good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh I guess there's the trump vs biden eternal debate
https://twitch.tv/trumporbiden2024

it's still going

I hit play, heard Trump say 'Mark Zuckerberg's mind-boggling penis' and then it cut to an ad break.

Honestly I figure it'll be all downhill from there and I don't need to watch anymore.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Like by being so homophobic he drove the blue ranger into depression?

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was people playing a game of telephone with the actual story.

IIRC it was the production crew that was homophobic towards David Yost, not JDF.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Has there been another director who lost as much cred as Burton? Like, in 2005, he was still highly regarded, picking interesting, well received projects, and now it's perfectly understandable to see him joining a project with dismay.

Looking at his filmography to see where it all went wrong:

2005 was kind of a bad year. Charlie was awful and Corpse Bride didn't hit for me like it did for other people.

I think Sweeney Todd is the last movie he did that I genuinely enjoyed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm just gonna leave this here for y'all.

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1621518656323866625

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Yeah he started out making Christian games. FNAF happened because people said the main character of a side scroller he made looked creepy.

I think he has stopped being directly involved with the series though. The newer games did not have much of his input.

Specifically, it was a Dunkey video where he was railing on the characters in the game, so we can blame Dunkey entirely for the birth and popularity of FNAF.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RatHat posted:

Do you mean Stephanie Sterling? I can’t find any Dunkey videos of his previous games

Oops. You're right. It's been a long week and I had a brain fart there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I just wasn't that big a fan of Call Me Maybe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That was Katy Perry

Carly Rae Jepsen deserves better than this. :argh: