Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The link in the last thread didn’t link to goatse. For shame Tars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw Octopussy once on tv. Too much loving circus poo poo. I was 10 and bored out of my mind. A View to a Kill is a mess but at least it’s got a great theme song and a couple really good character actors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It will be his last "film".

Movie 11 will be shot on an iPhone.
In portrait.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mycot posted:

Assuming his character is in John Wick 4 that's probably going to be a posthumous role then, right?
He’s in it. He skipped out on doing some press work, so maybe he hadn’t been feeling well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quantum of Solace has one of the strongest endings in a Bond movie. I’d have to watch again to see how the rest of it held up, but the ending has stuck with me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That isn’t supposed to be anti-Italian propaganda?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m surprised they started it back up where they left off. A power surge knocked out the projector when I saw The Wolf of Wall Street with maybe 10 minutes left and we sat in the dark for 20 minutes. Then an usher came in and said “We can’t start the movie where it left off, so you can either stay and watch 47 Ronin, or get a voucher.” We took the voucher.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I used to listen to a lot of art bell clips back in the day, late at night. I should listen to some now.

I think alien stories and conspiracy stuff mostly rules and I want it to come back.
Unfortunately that stuff metamorphosed into actual dangerous conspiracy theories like Q-Anon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure basically everyone was saying Skyfall absolutely turned Bond into Batman, complete with his own Alfred.
Bond’s parents dying in a ski accident was a detail Fleming put into You Only Live Twice the novel, released in ‘64. A couple years after Dr. No was in theaters. Not sure how many movies mention it but it’s been some random trivia that I thought was pretty common knowledge about the character.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

kalel posted:

:(

I really despise that wave of talk show hosts in the 80s and 90s who propagated conspiracy theory crap. stuff like UFOs but also devil worship/occult, MLMs, etc. at least now it seems like it's moved to podcasts instead of nationally-syndicated television shows but man I hate dubious pseudoscience passed off as fact with complete impunity
The sad thing is Bro Jogan probably has a wider teacher than Art Bell ever did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Lego Batman Movie was pretty good. There was some concern before it came out that the concept would wear out it’s welcome pretty fast, but they managed to stick the landing.

The series died because their Ninjago one underperformed, as did the sequel to the original movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ezra is going to beat a whooping crane to death on the red carpet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t find out about The Room till about 10 years ago. How I found out was tuning into Adult Swim on April Fool’s Day just in time to catch the sex scene.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wasn’t interested in watching a show about some white trash rear end in a top hat who abuses animals and keeps drug addicts as sex slaves. Especially when the “documentary” makers purposely cut a bunch of racism and animal abuse out to try and make him more sympathetic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to this article someone made some allegations about an actor a month ago, and later said it was Majors. Then there’s a tweet from today from another actor that says people have known Majors was an abusive sociopath for years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Wait, who did Millie Bobbie Brown murder
Nobody I think. Probably a reference to how Drake started creeping on her right after her career took off under the guise of “mentorship”.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Titanic was also his passion project.
It’s all passion projects with him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At one point Dreamworks thought they’d be up to Shrek 8 by about 10 years ago. Then people got sick of it and they finally went and did something else. I guess they’re working on a 5th one though. From what I’ve heard people were actually really positive on their last Puss in Boots movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's what I had thought too, but the last Shrek movie did over $750M box office? Lot of restraint cor a company to say 'Lets not roll the dice again' after that.
Wow. I thought it had done a lot worse than that. Maybe they had an internal return on investment they had to hit and didn’t make it. The third one was so awful I didn’t bother giving anything after it a chance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to Wikipedia Tim Allen was going to get the role before he chose The Santa Clause 2 instead. So could be worse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Last time I checked the only one of these live action adaptations that most people were positive on was The Jungle Book ‘16. Dumbo was actually pretty good but I don’t think a ton of people saw it.

But they don’t seem to be slowing down with these things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bautista seems like he plays better with others than Dwayne. I don’t see Dwayne being willing to do the role Bautista had in Blade Runner 2049 at any stage of his career. He did the Scorpion King bit in The Mummy Returns but that guy was a major antagonist, and got his own spinoff. Bautista was willing to get killed by Ryan Gosling 10 minutes into an almost 3 hour movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Bautista talked poo poo at Disney over the James Gunn thing a few years back and lived to tell the tale
Of all of his costars he was the least established and had the most to lose too. Also I’ve heard his mom is a lesbian so he really hates homophobia.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still like Dwayne but he needs to work on his ego and not try to force everything into his brand or he’ll turn himself into Will Smith in 10-15 years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pain and Gain, but that was probably the last time he did it.
I’ve been to prison…and it sucks.

Jumanji and its sequel did have his body inhabited by an awkward teenager and various others.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reynolds had to slug it out in lovely movies for years before they let him just do things he wanted to. He’s found a niche that he’s happy with and audiences still like. Not same thing as the branding ego trip Dwayne is off on right now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dwayne didn’t use to be this big. He got there for his Hercules movie and has stuck with it for about 10 years now. Mid-2000s Dwayne looks kinda small by comparison.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

Pain and Gain was where he went insane and completely roided himself up beyond what he had done for wrestling.
Pain and Gain came out first but the physical transformation was done for Hercules.

A lot of people were mad that the trailers conned them into seeing what turned out to be a demythologized Hercules movie, but I thought it was pretty decent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If I remember correctly, The Rock’s character didn’t exist in the real events the movie’s covering, so that could also be why he’s a bit more sympathetic.
His character is a composite of a couple of guys. One of whom testified against the others.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

The new Ghostbusters sequel has set photos and Walter Peck is back
I have a hard time believing they’re going to turn around an effects heavy movie by Christmas when they just started filming last month.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Robot Style posted:

I worked on Afterlife and the VFX ran for about a year, so the current release date is definitely optimistic unless they've massively scaled back from the previous movie.
I don’t think there’s anyway in hell they do less effects. I’m no expert on doing VFX but their timetable seems completely unworkable even if they destroy a dozen effects companies in the process.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Payndz posted:

The original Ghostbusters had about 200 VFX shots, which was considered a massive amount at the time.

Afterlife had around 1100, and Feig's Ghostbusters had over 1700, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks that made them better movies.
The original movie just had ghost/proton pack effects and matte paintings. Nowadays they use CGI on all kinds of stuff, and it’s not just big action scenes either. I highly doubt the takeaway they got from Afterlife was “less giant action set pieces”. Probably the opposite. So they’re either going to have to delay it, or it’ll be a mess.

I wouldn’t put it past them to get a dumb idea like trying to de-age the kids too since they’re like 4 years older now than when it was shot.

I didn’t mind the movie outside of overdoing the poo poo out of fanservice. Probably the worst example of that sort of thing I’ve seen. If they wanted original cast members involved they should have showed up sooner rather than tack on what felt like 20 minutes of forced nostalgia bait at the end.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The CG looks really dodgy in general. Things look too smooth, and the water doesn’t look like it has any depth. They kind of look like they’re just floating in air.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’ll all get blamed on diversity, rather than them making an unimaginative rehash with a bunch of technical problems.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mulan had some weird stuff about appeasing the Chinese government and filming in Xinjiang going against it too. Both good reasons to not see it but then it gets mixed up with actual anti-Asian racism.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Jungle Book and Dumbo remakes both did enough of their own thing for me to consider them to be good. But I don’t see them learning any positive lessons there. They’re just going to plow ahead with these until they stop making money.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Baby Driver was going to suck based off the first trailer I saw but ended up liking it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That Disney Channel clip looks really samey to every other live action thing I’ve caught brief bits of. I went and looked up when it came out because it seemed like it could have come out anytime in the last 15 years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just give it back to Del Toro and Perlman. It would be refreshing in this oversaturated Marvel world.

Tambor is the only one you don’t want to invite back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

All the Indy 5 reviews I’ve seen basically just say it’s a success in that it’s better than 4.
Leave it on a higher note than that and I’ll be happy.