Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Ban them if they ever posts here.

Agree.

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't wanna say nepo baby but....

nepo baby

At the very least, her episodes of her dad’s show Servant are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

In sequels that no one wanted or asked for they've announced that Will Smith will be joined by Michael B Jordan for I Am Legend 2.
https://deadline.com/2023/02/akiva-...els-1235260641/

Also how is Will Smith going to be in it if they’re following the alternate ending? Anyway, I’ll believe it happens once it’s actually released and not a second before.

It is interesting that he brings up The Last of Us as an inspiration, I wonder if we’re going to see a new wave of nature-reclamation apocalypse movies for lack of a better term now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I can fix him

But yeh, I'm surprised he hasn't been landing more, and more prominent, roles

I still always immediately think of him as the rear end in a top hat boyfriend from the first season of Orphan Black.

Actually given his name and the fact that he’s already been in a Marvel movie, Disney should put him in The Mandalorian.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Children of the Corn but it's the Corn Kid telling everyone about how awesome corn is but earns the wrath of Big Wheat

Children of the Corn but it’s an origin story of Corn Pop, how he became a bad dude, and who the bad boys he ran were.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

In Star Wars news, Patty Jenkins and Kevin Feige's respective Star Wars movies have been canned. Taika Waititi's is still on.

I’ll believe Taika’s is still happening if it actually airs. I know as of last year he said that his movie didn’t even have a story yet, just the logo they came up with when it was announced. That means his movie is at least three or four years to actually coming out, which is plenty of time for it to get canned given the post-Disney Lucasfilm track record.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done a live action Family Guy gag yet. Even Simpsons at least had the Halloween gag of Homer in the real world pretty early on.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I appreciate that they didn't recast Patrick Warburton, because that dude is great,

Isn't he a chud? I know he did an interview pretty recently about both refusing to apologize for Family Guy insulting people and also complaining about how the show makes fun of Christians.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Hercules, a Cruella sequel, an Aladdin sequel, The Sword in the Stone, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Robin Hood are all in various stages of pre-production. Snow White and the Lion King prequel come out next year.

Looking up The Sword in the Stone, it seems like it's been half a decade since there was any news on it, and the attached director is currently doing a separate YA medieval fantasy for Netflix, so seems pretty unlikely.

For laughs, they should give it to Guy Ritchie. Or more seriously, just do a full live action Once and Future King.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Presto posted:

Let's go the other direction. Make an animated version of The Black Hole.

It's funny to think that a modern Disney remake of The Black Hole would have to go the opposite of the twist and reassure the audience that yes, of course, the crew are just all robots.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DarkSol posted:

I think the comparisons that people made when the movie came out (and still make) to Star Wars is unfair and also weak.

It’s funny that between The Black Hole and Star Trek TMP, two of the main Star Wars “copycats” were closer to 2001. And the other was a James Bond movie.

I know someone at Paramount claimed the bigger influence on TMP going into production was actually Close Encounters, because it being a hit showed that Star Wars wasn’t just a flash in the pan. And Cubby Broccoli claimed that Moonraker had nothing to do with Star Wars, but was rushed to take advantage of the first space shuttle launch, which was originally scheduled for 1979.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DarkSol posted:

Interestingly, the launch sequence of the shuttles in Moonraker are actually pretty accurate compared to other movies that try to depict the launch. (And don't use stock footage.)

And I'm honestly kinda skeptical of what Cubby said because it really felt like, for all of the Moore films, the director and producers were always chasing what was popular or in the zeitgeist at the time. (Live and Let Die with blaxploitation films, The Man with the Golden Gun and kung fu films and the real energy crisis (which really dates the film), A View to a Kill and the rise of Silicon Valley, for example.)

I've been toying with the idea of doing a big effort post/thread about The Black Hole for years, but always get intimidated by how well done some of the other OPs are. :cripes:

Oh yeah, absolutely. I think Cubby was full of poo poo there and just trying to save face. Especially given the Moore track record of chasing relevance (another funny example of which: the original idea for View to a Kill was that the villain would try to divert Halley's Comet, which was approaching in 1986, into hitting Silicon Valley).

And I for one would love to read a long effortpost about The Black Hole! I actually read the novelization first as a kid so then seeing the movie and the visuals/score was even more mind-blowing compared to what I was trying to picture in my head.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

These Star Trek titles keep getting weirder.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It’s really funny that Danny Boyle’s idea for what became No Time to Die was to make it a lighthearted Roger Moore style throwback.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Vast of Night did a great job of conjuring up the feeling of listening to Art Bell while driving late at night for me.

Unless you mean an Art Bell biopic, that would rule.

Yeah, I loved The Vast of Night. I’m not even sure why they set it in the 50s considering it’s such a 90s conspiracy radio movie.

Also Art Bell is in the 2006 Prey video game!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Remember two weeks when Lucasfilm canceled Patty Jenkins' and Kevin Feige's Star Wars movies but committed to Damon Lindelof's? Well, guess who just departed from his movie?

Hard to tell whether Star Wars or DC films are more cursed at this point. I guess DC at least occasionally puts out a movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Trailer for Tommy Wiseau’s new movie/ad for his underwear line starring the actors from his failed TV show:

https://youtu.be/_PkpUEHiefM

All I can think of is Tommy Wiseau doing his spin on Sharknado probably would have been a cult hit ten years ago, but I can’t imagine anyone caring now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think that's actually how a lot of people first found out about it. That's how I did.

I first found out about it from the Tim and Eric episode and initially assuming it was a fake movie they invented for the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There’s also the fact that right after its Tim and Eric/Adult Swim debut, it both became available on Netflix and RiffTrax covered it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also thought The Menu was going to be cannibalism and I was so happy it went in a totally different direction. That burger also looked really good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If there’s no dialogue, how is he going to say “Garbage day!”?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also notable that both Timothy McVeigh and Chris Carter were radicalized into their conspiracy views from reading Behold a Pale Horse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Love Guru is really funny for the fact that that of all things was his big passion project and it basically ended his career. Other than cameos the only things he's done since were Shrek 4 immediately after, and then The Pentaverate last year which I don't think anyone I know is even aware of.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Inception was a big passion project for Nolan that he was only able to get made after Dark Knight was a hit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Five Nights at Freddy’s debuting on streaming is a good idea, because it will allow plenty of people to livestream themselves watching it and having over the top screaming reactions at every slightly creepy moment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reportedly, Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie isn't cancelled, he just isn't going to start working on it until he finishes his live action Akira adaptation.

...Which might also be taken as his Star Wars movie will never happen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

precision posted:

Not following news is wild when I get multiple pieces of info at once lol

The Akira movie is one of those things that's I think in its third decade of development hell. Leonardo DiCaprio is the one who was really pushing it for a long time through his production company (and I think used to want to play Kaneda years ago). I think at one point it almost got made by the writer and director of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, too.

AngryBooch posted:

Taika Waititi's upcoming sci-fi projects:

Star Wars
Akira
The Incal
Flash Gordon

I'd be extremely surprised if more than one of these comes out

I can kind of see his style working for all of those... except Akira. That just really does not seem like a good fit at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mycot posted:

Isn't WWDITS 2 just the TV series? Which is running simultaneously with another incredibly successful Taika series? Busy guy.

He hasn’t been involved in the WWDITS show (outside of his prerecorded cameos) since the first season. Same with Jemaine Clement after the second season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Time Cowboy posted:

Who Greenlighted 2023: Several reviews mentioned droopy testicles

We need this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If he was going to be in another vampire movie, I’m surprised it’s not Eggers’ Nosferatu remake.

Also, lol that Nicholas Hoult is also going to be in that one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Get Dan Aykroyd to just summon up some real ghosts to save costs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah comedy sequels are tough and one after so long is weird. But Dodgeball was good so hopefully this one is too

I mean, Zoolander was great but look at Zoolander 2 (or rather don't).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just saw the Raimi Spider-Men are on Disney+ now, is that the first time that non-Disney movies have been put on there? Besides from studios Disney bought, obviously.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit on it last year. Obviously some particular priorities there, but they clearly aren't averse to making pragmatic deals.

Isn't Roger Rabbit a Disney movie, via Buena Vista? I honestly don't entirely know how streaming rights work when older films had a tangle of different production and distribution companies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Stiller has been directing movies since the 90s, including the original Zoolander.

Actually, if anything, Zoolander 2 seems like it ended his film directing career since he's shifted to TV since then.

I will say, while I really disliked Zoolander 2 as a whole, I did really laugh at the bit where the Zoolander Center for Kids' collapsing is the movie universe's version of 9/11.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 5, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

More and more I think of it, Michael Crichton's Looker was downright prescient for 1980.

Simone was almost there; it just didn't get that recreating actual actors would be the route to take.

Actually, if in a few decades we get the complete erosion of actor's rights in favor of AI recreation, I wonder if someday we might actually get the Jason Momoa Frosty the Snowman movie.

Taking this to its extreme, I wonder if some actors might push for movie remakes or "special editions" with them inserted into roles that they had passed on. Star Wars: The Super Special Edition with Sissy Spacek as Leia and Kurt Russell as Han, for example.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 7, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Andor still filming despite the union strike is very ironic but unfortunately not surprising.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Do any of the live-action remakes... not necessarily improve on the original, but do anything interesting or innovative with them instead of just adding a ton of CGI?

I guess maybe The Jungle Book, but I also admittedly don't really remember the original that well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember people on this forum arguing that Peyton Reed was an improvement on Wright. That might have been the first time I truly realized how truly mind rotting brand worship is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If Baby Driver was set on a spaceship but kept the rest of the plot the same, it would have been a better young Han Solo movie than Solo. He even wears the Han Solo shirt and vest!

Haha, and looking it up now Ansel Elgort actually did audition to play Young Han.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think that when Shaun of the Dead came out, it being a zombie movie was a novelty as much as it being a zombie parody/comedy. Of the modern zombie wave there was really the original Resident Evil movie, 28 Days Later... that might have been it at the time? The Dawn of the Dead remake was the same time around. The Zombie Survival Guide had come out which I remember being a big hit for internet nerds (I think I ordered it and the Real Ultimate Power book at the same time from Amazon) but I don't think I was aware of the Walking Dead comic for a few more years.

feedmyleg posted:

Shaun is a very fun movie that's solid throughout, but rarely touches greatness. The folks I've talked to who really revere it seem to be people it hit hard for in high school and that elevates it for them. Folks who I've talked to who discovered it later don't seem to hold it in as high regard.

That being said, it's still top-tier compared with other comedies from the past few decades.

That's me, I was a senior in high school when Shaun came out and my friends and I must have seen it a half dozen times in theaters. Still love it and rewatch it every year or two. The ending loses a bit of steam but the first 4/5 at least are still extremely solid, and the very ending of it I think makes up for the dip. I'm one of those who loves it more than Hot Fuzz, which I honestly might have only seen a few times.

Grendels Dad posted:

Shaun also started the trend of light-hearted zombie rom-coms, which... I dunno, I never saw any of the others but that sure is a legacy.

There's Warm Bodies, but I can't really think of another... Fido, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I thought maybe it was the sequel to TENET that nobody asked for

Oppenheimer is coming out in a few months (it's a sequel if you follow inverted time).