Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forgot they are doing another Hunger Games movie

I imagine it's going to bomb hard though, the YA craze is long past and even the last movie in the previous series didn't exactly do as well as expected (splitting the final film into two parts probably didn't help).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes the main reason for Disney having some losses is because of Disney+

Now some of that is loss of international subscribers but still

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tim Allen was in a new Santa Clause thing on Disney+ over the holidays

He’s definitely not canceled by Disney or whatever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really hosed that they let him star in all of those trash movies for the last few years when they knew something wasn't right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

Who is "they"?
The guy who makes those lovely movies and also his family

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Third time’s the charm!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess good for the creators for getting this out the door first, because I've seen a lot of outlets covering this despite it looking like some cheap film a few people worked on in their spare time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

I’d rather they tell stories set in those environments than rehash LOTR or something. Tell new stories.

I do want to see epic battles like against Ancaligon that giant rear end dragon and balrogs tho
I am pretty confident that they are just going to re-do LOTR again

The new WBD President has said that he wants to mostly push established franchises to get them out of the hole they're in in terms of massive debt, so be prepared for them to just do LOTR over again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

From what I heard nothing really happens, which is kind of a problem for something Amazon spent like a billion dollars on between the rights and the production costs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finally, the hardcore gay sex scene between Frodo and Sam, what I've always wanted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

When Amazon bought the limited rights to the Tolkien stuff they had to deal with some restrictions, but I don't know if the contract they signed with what is now WBD is more broad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This guy has almost no major credits on his resume according to IMDB

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1631337110383861774?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why is he orange

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like how the backgrounds look like the rougher comic book style of the original 80s comic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I saw her name trending earlier on Twitter and i immediately knew what it was about

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have so, so many questions

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1633173155278618627?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m going to continue to keep calling Disney cowards until they release the remake of Song of the South

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Both the A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights themes own IMHO.
Agreed

View To a Kill is always funny because Roger Moore is clearly way too old for that role

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

I rewatched Octopussy on a whim last night and almost every single action scene is ruined because they have to keep cutting between the stuntmen doing amazing, crazy stuff and Roger Moore on a set that only barely matches the environment. Also, speaking of Bond movies chasing trends, this one is so Indiana Jones that Temple of Doom's dinner scene might as well have been lifted wholesale from it. Also, somehow even more racist than Temple of Doom, and certainly a lot duller.
Octopussy is a rough watch, yeah

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lance Reddick, passed away at 60.
This really sucks

He had a lot of great roles over the years. For me I first saw him as the boss on Fringe where he had to play the straight man as a bunch of crazy supernatural poo poo was going on around him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably one of those ‘silent killer’ heart things

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kalel posted:

quantum of solace is loving awful, what are you people smoking
Yeah seriously, it’s bottom tier especially for modern Bonds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

It also has a great opening scene.
Is this a joke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Spectre is the worst Craig Bond and it isn't even close, but No Time to Die is pretty bad. Overlong, self-serious (as you said), bland score by Zimmer, awful theme song, NANOMACHINES, SON!, and I really don't buy Swann being the love of Bond's life; Seydoux and Craig just don't have that level of chemistry (and the actors are 20 years apart in age).

But, still, gently caress Spectre. Dave Bautista is the only watchable part of that dogshit. Christoph Waltz tries his best, but even he can't turn vomit into gold. "Author of all your pain," my rear end.
Look, I didn't like Spectre either but I'll rewatch it 5 times before I go back to QoS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven’t seen it since the 90s but I don’t remember Good Burger being much of anything

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The Room was a real lightning in a bottle situation. You can't recapture it. Wiseau hasn't been able to, skilled comedians trying to do jokes on it haven't been able to. Even the recreated footage in the Disaster Artist wasn't as weird as the original despite copying it frame for frame. It simply exists. I wouldn't even put it in the 'so bad it's good' category, since it's not so much bad as on an entirely different wavelength to every other film ever made. It came through the cracks in reality from another dimension where films are made very differently. It's so bizarre, but so incredibly consistent in how bizarre it is. No one will ever recapture that.
I don't know how you successfully recreate a scene where a woman with almost no inflection says 'I have breast cancer'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It reminds me of everyone scrambling to make a dozen different Tiger King projects ignoring the fact that the only reason it got that popular is because it was the first thing to be released in its entirety when initial lockdowns hit. You can’t recreate that phenomenon even with the same exact story, which is why every single one of those projects has been cancelled.
It doesn’t help that the second season of that show was terrible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Part of it was about his crazy lawyers trying to get Trump to pardon him, and how they were actually getting yelled at on J6 by QAnon nutters right before the riots happened. Then the rest of it is mostly about the other people that were featured in the last season that were not him. They also went into some more about the missing husband of Carol Baskin

There was also a spinoff about Doc Antle which was somewhat more interesting since that guy is a weirdo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I wasn’t interested in watching a show about some white trash rear end in a top hat who abuses animals and keeps drug addicts as sex slaves. Especially when the “documentary” makers purposely cut a bunch of racism and animal abuse out to try and make him more sympathetic.
I hadn't heard about that, but as shown, he's absolutely not sympathetic unless you are some kind of psycho

also people generally get more up in arms over animal abuse and there's plenty of that on the show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Isn't Kang's whole schtick is that he's got like a million different incarnations scattered across space-time? Plus Marvel's really been banging the multiverse drum for a while now, so it would be shockingly easy to jettison him and just cast a new actor in the role.
Yes it’s more doable than with a lot of other characters

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remulak posted:

The Pentaverate seems like it was deliberately buried.

From the 2 clips I saw, for a good reason.
I saw those as well and I was amazed that anyone was still giving Myers money to make his projects

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The D&D movie made $38.5 million this weekend which gave it first place. I have no idea if that is considered a success though. I tend to think probably not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dave Bautista is The Rock with some actual self-awareness

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't understand why that took so long to make

It was in development so long that at least one film ripping off the concept already came out like 2 years ago

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jenny Slate is exec producing and starring in a movie about a haunted app called Mindful

https://deadline.com/2023/04/jenny-slate-venom-everything-everywhere-horror-movie-mindful-app-1235330588/

lol that it's called Mindful as that's one of the current in buzzwords for new age stuff at the moment, I'm sure people will be mad
This sounds like it would be much better served as some kind of comedy/satire than a straight horror film

Which it should considering that she is mostly a comedic actress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven’t seen the first movie she made, but The Eternals was a plodding mess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clearly they learned nothing from the failures of way too late sequels like Zoolander 2

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1651675937103118336?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

These are all comedy sequels made pretty quickly after the originals. It's when ten or more years pass that they're usually sad and unnecessary at the very least.
Yes that is more of my thinking

You just can’t replicate a movie 10+ years or more after the original if it’s a comedy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno i liked it as a kid but as an adult it seems apparent that ace ventura 2 trades being transphobic for being insanely racist
Yeah I also liked it as a kid but I just know that it doesn’t hold up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Watched it on cable a month or two back. It's still mostly ok, the cold open riffing on Cliffhanger feels weird but the Rhino scene still slayed me.
I remember the Rhino scene being incredible