Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McGann posted:

He'll be a bit, gotta calm down after nearly stroking out upon finding the new thread.

Batgirl I fully expect to eventually get released through backchannels by somebody, but probably not for a while.

How would it though? Wasn’t it only ever screened the one time to cast and crew?

Unless I’m mistaken, the whole reason they’re able to shelve it for tax reasons is that it effectively can’t be shown anywhere ever for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Don't know if the entire movie will be good but this is very authentic to actual D&D experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtGgsyI99Rw

It’s a dumb joke but also yeah, 100% authentic. It’s definitely going to be bad, but maybe it’ll at least be a fun Saturday afternoon watch once it’s on streaming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Len posted:

A guy at my LGS thinks it looks bad because "it's just a fantasy movie and nothing about it makes it D&D" but I think he wants to watch people sit around a table and roll dice or some poo poo

In fairness, pulling a Jumanji and starting with the characters as actual players and doing a fish out of water thing would help it set the movie apart from your typical action-fantasy flick.

That’s pretty much all you could do though, the D&D setting itself is just as bland and generic as every other fantasy setting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

True of Forgotten Realms, but D&D has actually cool and funs ettings that for some reason they don't use as much as loving Forgotten Realms.

Is Spelljammer part of Forgotten Realms? I’d be down for a wild sci-fi/fantasy blend with living organic ships and colonial space hippos.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s pretty clearly someone filming a tv just based on the audio quality alone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were there two sets of bodybuilding twins in the late 80s/early 90s? I seem to remember a blonde due in a terrible action movie.

Those same dudes were in several action movies, like the 1992 masterpiece Double Trouble. I can’t find a trailer for some reason, but the entire movie is up on YouTube. Not sure if it’s allowed to link it though.

They’re legitimately fun movies though. They’re very clearly having fun making them and they’re not taking it seriously at all, and it’s as if someone cloned Chris Farley and forced them both to become very dumb SoCal bodybuilders. Each take it seems like they’re both right on the edge of breaking and laughing. Their hair, their mannerisms, the way they keep putting these enormous dudes in ridiculous 90s suits and fashion, something about it is just inherently funny.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best part is James Doohan showing up for like one scene as a character named Miles O’Brien

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Folks, brace yourselves for another incoming Neil Breen flick

https://twitter.com/neilbreen/status/1630682259291537408?s=46&t=q9rx_Aj-WiQ7rU_XwHpUpg

I thought the title in the tweet above was just a typo, but no, that’s apparently the actual formatting of the movie’s title.

https://twitter.com/razzbender/status/1625010238230339586?s=46&t=q9rx_Aj-WiQ7rU_XwHpUpg

That is some sociopath poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I desperately need Taika to stay behind the camera for a while. We’re well into Taika fatigue after Love & Thunder.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

It’s funny that between The Black Hole and Star Trek TMP, two of the main Star Wars “copycats” were closer to 2001. And the other was a James Bond movie.

I know someone at Paramount claimed the bigger influence on TMP going into production was actually Close Encounters, because it being a hit showed that Star Wars wasn’t just a flash in the pan. And Cubby Broccoli claimed that Moonraker had nothing to do with Star Wars, but was rushed to take advantage of the first space shuttle launch, which was originally scheduled for 1979.

Of the immediate post-Star Wars era of 78/79ish, the only thing of note that really does seem to take heavily from Star Wars is probably Battlestar Galactica. Yeah it’s mormon as hell and episodic like Trek, but most of the main characters are hotshot pilots, Adama has a very Obi-Wan type personality, and the faceless hordes of Cylons are definitely meant to remind you of Stormtroopers.

Not to mention John Dykstra going straight from SW to BSG (and McQuarrie doing concept art) and bringing along a bunch of ILM guys and equipment to do all the modelwork, to the point where Fox tried to sue and Lucas went on to hold a grudge against him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
No Time to Die is an extremely self-serious slog and the only part that’s remotely fun to watch is the brief Ana de Armas team-up.

I would genuinely rank it as my least favorite Craig Bond.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Neil Breen had an obligatory “I bought a drone!” movie and now I guess it’s Wiseau’s turn

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

This is like something out of one of those Adult Swim one-offs that randomly drop at 3am

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

According to Wikipedia Tim Allen was going to get the role before he chose The Santa Clause 2 instead. So could be worse.

The Rat in The Hat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

Another live-action version of an animated Disney movie is coming, this time the original's not even 10 years old.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1642939466573660206

Depressing reminder than Moana, as originally conceived, was going to be a traditionally animated movie before it was delayed.

Now it’s just another four-quadrant Rock vehicle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Drax is almost a completely oddity for Bautista roles, the guy loves playing soft-spoken thoughtful dudes.

And even as Drax he completely nails some of the most sincere quiet emotional beats of those movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t hate the Rock, I just wish there was any variation in the roles he’s willing to play. He seems completely unwilling to push himself into uncomfortable stuff that doesn’t allow him to basically just play himself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You’d think Pattinson would be hesitant to play another vampire

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

This movie rules because it’s a Shaw Bros/Hammer Horror co-production. Highly recommend.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Why the hell do Transformers even have a second form to disguise themselves when they’re still on Cybertron? It’s a whole loving planet of robots, some idiot sneaking around as a car seems pointless.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lobster Henry posted:

I feel like blood meridian needs to have an apocalypse now “descent into chaos”-style production with a mad genius st the helm to stand a chance of working.

It can’t just be a handsomely shot very violent film. It needs that extra something. But it could never happen I guess

Hairless Danny McBride showing up in Almería late, overweight by 100lbs and accidentally eating bugs during takes while John Hillcoat contemplates killing and replacing him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anything earnestly described as “a love letter to the fans” is inherently cursed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Who is this DM that allowed Mulan to have infinity ki points?

Monks are an underpowered class, let them Deflect Missiles all they want :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Halloween Jack posted:

1. How do they "track" expected opening weekend revenue?

2. Why is it that the last half-dozen times I've clicked a link to a tweet about a movie's release, the first reply is something to the effect of "Go woke go broke?" I think there must be a type of Twitter poster who reflexively says this about literally every movie.

If you repeat it for every single thing that comes out and prominently features women or people of color existing and having lines of dialogue, eventually you’ll technically be right about one or two of them for a completely incorrect reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, I am. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Asterite34 posted:

Raiders is as distant from the 40's pulp serials it was inspired by as we in the present day are from Raiders. We've entered recursive nostalgia territory, where people ape crap from their childhood that was itself aping crap from its creators' childhood, it's like an M C Escher painting

man who gives a single loving poo poo, I just want to see an actual adventure movie that isn’t just another loving marvel

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This truly is the dumbest loving timeline

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Who the gently caress greenlightninged this apparently local Houston-area movie that had a trailer play before my showing of Asteroid City

https://youtu.be/qwd9A_7n61I

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mycot posted:

The automatic AI greenlighter not being able to tell the difference between ironic shitposting and genuine affection is going to produce some interesting results. Morbius was just the beginning.

I’m just hoping people on social media figure out how to game it so that studios lose as much money as possible greenlighting and producing poo poo no one wants.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Albert Pyun movies are generally kinda bad, but the man absolutely knew to make every single action scene incredible in some way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I probably would have done the double feature thing if Oppenheimer weren't three hours long

That’s why you make a day of it with breaks.

We did:
- lunch & edibles
- Barbie
- hour and a half break with drinks and pie
- Oppenheimer

Perfect day at the movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MH Knights posted:

Taika Waititi? After Thor 4 it seems like a lot of people have had their fill of Taika for now.

Taika’s issue seems more like a combination of oversaturation and spreading himself too thin between dozens of projects than any real decline in talent. Give him a few years for his various Disney projects to stall out and return to mid-budget comedies and he’ll be fine.

CelticPredator posted:

John Carpenter

Although I wouldn’t mind him back

Carpenter’s a weird one because you can assume Memoirs of an Invisible Man was a result of Chevy Chase being impossible plus studio poo poo, then he bounces back with In The Mouth of Madness.

Village of the Damned is a forgettable gun-for-hire job, Escape from LA is dogshit that he clearly just made so he and Kurt could hang out and get paid, and Vampires is bad but it’s mostly fun bad. Ghosts of Mars is back to dogshit and then he takes almost a decade off to do two episodes of Masters of Horror and The Ward, all of which are mediocre and forgettable.

But I don’t think it’s because he declined or anything, he’s pretty clearly a guy who got continually hosed over by suits and just had his fill. I’d be willing to bet money that if he got a script he was super passionate about today he could probably still turn in a really solid movie. But he won’t because it’s not worth the hassle to him when he can just play video games, smoke, and do the occasional album with his son.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shageletic posted:

Lifeforce is the absolute poo poo. I'd love to rewatch that with edibles. absolute insanity.

I watched it for the first time with edibles like a month ago and promptly fell asleep right after she escapes the lab.

It’s an incredibly dull and boring movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Halloween Jack posted:

Blood Diner is both a sequel and a send-up of Blood Feast. At least I think it's a sequel. I assume Uncle Anwar is a disembodied brain thanks to that garbage truck.

Oh, and so is A Return to Salem's Lot, at least in my opinion. At what point does the Howling series become self-parody?

Blood Diner is loving blast aside from some extremely out of left field homophobic jokes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

that really dull nazi zombie movie overlord.

what the gently caress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He was also a Covid denier

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is there actually an official trailer yet? All I see are garbage fan trailers cobbled together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1716945977540747569?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

:laffo: Vin is the most insecure action star to ever exist

Imagine having one of the all-time greats say “hey I’d like to be in your franchise” and your response is “no, I don’t want you” because you’re still sore about The Rock

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think he's chilled out in recent years but yeah he used to be a diva

I was trying to look up how long he’s been clean and found out he’s also bipolar, which I’m sure exacerbated things during his prime.

He’s also a Trump supporter and a conspiracy nut, so uhhh maybe strike my previous post :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

'80s / '90s Hollywood action star Mount Rushmore basically begins and ends with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Cruise, Bruce Willis and Jackie Chan.

00s-Present Cruise has way more of an argument for Action Rushmore than 80s/90s Cruise, that spot could easily go to Lundgren or Van Damme.