Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Randall Emmett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the D&D movie looks like a fun afternoon watch, and the sort of thing a 12 year old would lose their mind for. Way better than trying to do anything serious. Just crank up the Pine smarm dial and enjoy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think one single person actually watched the LOTR TV show

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you can't really see his legs?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Them just being aliens who live in the Cretaceous and coincidentally have beards and capitalism is kind of a letdown. If evolution inevitably produces Adam Driver and capitalism, that’s a real bummer.

i’ve seen him without a shirt, evolution has nothing to do with that man, he is from a lab

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Quantum is not bad and certainly not as bad as people pretend. It suffers from comparison.

The ending with Greene going insane with a fire axe owns.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Quantum of Solace would have been improved with this superior choice for its theme https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho

It's still less ridiculous than the MUSE song they floated as 'their version' of a bond theme; Surpemacy. That would've been Skyfall era.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I bet someone could still do a pretty drat good X-files style series even in this day and age, just lean less on the conspiracy stuff and more on the supernatural or Fringe-style weird science elements. Something like a mash-up of SCP Foundation and X-Com, where you have some overworked government bureau full of operatives slowly going insane because they aren't getting funded enough to deal with all the alien invasions and eldritch horrors they're expected to deal with every week.

Stargate except they have to do accounting tricks to save up $100,000 to take a trip to Planet Pacific Northwest every six months.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Renfield looks like fun, and I think the group therapy angle could be really interesting.

Tommy Wiseau should probably be in jail.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Vandar posted:

On what charges?

I'm mostly joking. His financial situation is dubious and he's a big creep for writing The Room, but I'm not sure he's done anything outright illegal. That is, if he's not actually DB Cooper.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i still don't understand why prop guns are able to shoot but nothing that americans do with guns makes sense to me in general

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

King Arthur really is the biggest victim in that regard, it was pretty refreshing that the Guy Ritchie movie from 2017 just threw Kaiju-sized war elephants and fireball-casting wizards at you in the opening.

in that movie, eric bana jumps his horse in to a gorge. he leaps of it to clear a gap. he ghost rides that horse. it is also one of the few double jumps in cinema.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Does it show what happens to the horse

If memory serves, no. I presume it exploded on impact.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I liked G14, K:SI and GvK. KOTM is a big step down. None hold a candle the Shin Godzilla, or the masterwork that is Pacific Rim.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most G1 Transformers fans don't actually remember G1 at all. Funny thing is the Michael Bay movies actually make a lot more sense if you figure he specifically used G1 for ideas, because that show is bizarre, ridiculous and sometimes downright batshit crazy. A lot more human antagonists than anything since, too. And not particularly watchable outside of novelty value, the animation and voice acting is VERY 80s and not in a good way.

I will never not chuckle at the "fans" watching senseless robot shooting/drama and being annoyed that the films were exactly the same thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Leto died in the first one any ways.

By the way, MEG 2 : THE TRENCH.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I only watched the first and it was 80% Statham, because everyone else in the cast was ancient. This is not a criticism per se.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He looks the part, time to get the trenbolone out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

A lot of those proposed Mattel movies sound dire. Kaufman-esque Barney, gently caress off. On the other hand knocking out cheap PG-13 horror programmers based on gimmicky toys like the Magic Eight Ball seems likely to turn to a profit. I expect we'll see a bunch of those and the more expensive prospects like Hot Wheels go unmade.

It's hard to get really mad about the slate they've proposed because a "Magic 8 Ball Horror Comedy" piques my interest so strongly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kevin Sorbo as Aslan. He wears the costume from The Wizard Of Oz.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s important to note that Nolan is British so WWII is never more than thirty seconds from his mind. TV in the UK is 90% WWII content.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The TV shows Rome and Spartacus had cool approaches too, with people from outside Rome more likely to have Australian and Kiwi accents, while the middle class have English/Scottish accents, and the upper class Romans have BBC trained actor accents.

i haven't seen the show but are you sure that this isn't a function of the budget?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

yes. One of the minor villains was on a new zealand soap opera (it was bloody weird to see him as something other than a sadistic slave raping noble) and he completely dropped the new zealand accent for his time on Spartacus and found it again for Shortland St.

Spartacus is really good. It's a very smart show doing a superb impression of a very dumb show. It absolutely rules.

AU/NZ actors showing up means I’m intrigued at the possibility of say, Toadfish Rebecci showing up in this show …

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Momoa always dresses like Johnny Depp

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Statham just sold a lot of tickets to a shark movie.

There’s a few stars left, Cruise is just the brightest. Dwayne Johnson, Theron, and Keanu are still around.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mission Impossible is not an action movie at all. IIRC there’s a handful of gunshots and one single explosion. It’s a thriller through and through.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fallout is so good, it’s easily the best one of the lot. Have not seen DR yet. Interesting that another Cruise movie gets renamed; Edge Of Tomorrow got soft renamed “Live Die Repeat” and now he and McQ just call it “All You Need is Kill”.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

Rebecca Ferguson's role in the recent Mission Impossibles is so weird. She has the love interest/will-they-won't-they/old flame part but she isn't written as a love interest, so you have all this flimsy plot business that hinges on her character and Ethan Hunt being in very deep professional respect with each other.

Hunt is a lunatic for his friends, he lost 3 plutonium cores because he wouldn't let Luther die. They make it a theme but it's still nutty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

That angle feels like a byproduct of of the couch jump incident. Like at some point a focus group after that said we no longer want to see Cruise as a romantic hero and because of the one two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and MI4 were so well recieved we now have weirdly asexual Ethan Hunt from hereon out. The Craig James Bond movies wish they had the kind of chemistry Cruise and Fergurson have for Craig any of the post Eva Green love interests.

Hunt has a few women friends who he likes to spend time with, staring deeply into their eyes in picturesque locales, and then, scene transition.

He definitely gets head in MI1 and fucks in MI2 tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Absolutely and I think he understands that. His strange stumpy body and square torso should only be used for acts of danger, not romance.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

She's moved on, but still is obviously very fond of him. She's got a new man - with a real job, a normal body and much less dangerous lifestyle.

I'd probably shy away from anything spy related after that freak Owen Davian showed up.

Hunt's obsession with no one dying is very funny in light of the bodycounts in MI2/3 and what's revealed in Ghost Protocol.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There’s also a weird part where TS’ father (a very wealthy man) may have had the option to buy the catalogue and passed on it.

Scooter is no doubt a scumbag but there’s more to it than “poor Taylor” imo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Circa 2016 I was at a party and there was no power (they were moving out) so someone lit a bunch of candles. Then another person put a photo of harambe behind the candles. the shrine stayed that way all night.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gears can be adapted, the smart way to do it is take the aesthetic and the setting and absolutely discard the plot from the games. The musclemen and “destroyed beauty” and “chainsaw machine gun” should all be kept, but the story of Marcus Fenix, his durag, and Dom should be discarded immediately.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Hobbit movies work well for the smaller and quieter scenes, like the introduction of the Dwarves and the riddles in the dark. Everything else is incredibly grey, boring and dull.

The huge battles drag, and the town drama is painful. I liked Smaug OK but he's not in that much of them.

Stellar casting of Freeman / Cumberbatch though. Could've done without the hot Armitage dwarf.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope he makes a new splatter film just to get his eye in.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[voiceover] For this episode, the role of Kang The Conqueror will be played by Michael Shanks

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

creepy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Before he was attached to Thor he had a pretty successful career that a lot of comedy people would kill for, so his definition of poor is probably "not invited to Met Gala".

Yeah, Thor was his fifth feature, and Wilderpeople was a pretty big success. He was nominated for an Academy Award in like 2005? And didn't he do a draft of Moana? Pretty big stretch to call himself poor while cashing a Disney check on the way to an MCU movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

whydirt posted:

Hasn't Trejo been in a number of student films literally just because he loves it so much?

Shame about Warburton though

He will show up in anything. I know someone who went to LA to work in the industry and they had him in their sketch like a week later.

He’s guested on iron chef as a judge, he’s shown up in Star Wars for like 2 minutes, he’s cohosted kevin smith podcasts, he’s Perez’s dad on Brooklyn 99. He has 30+ upcoming projects. Best I can tell he does one or two things every single week. I guess that donut shop costs a lot to run.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 4, 2023