Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

YA adventure might be mostly dead in movies but Shadow and Bone was mad popular on Netflix and is getting another season, while Disney is making a more book-accurate Percy Jackson series with the author actually involved this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Driftingmouse:

Ban them if they ever posts here.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The wife was also robit

No, that's Phil of The Future's mom.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 16, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't know if the entire movie will be good but this is very authentic to actual D&D experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtGgsyI99Rw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a dumb joke but also yeah, 100% authentic. It’s definitely going to be bad, but maybe it’ll at least be a fun Saturday afternoon watch once it’s on streaming.

The director plays D&D but more importantly he did Game Night which I heard was good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

the party fights a gang of murder hobos who look like bizarro versions of themselves

They're not murder hobos but this did happen in Fast & Furious 6.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, pulling a Jumanji and starting with the characters as actual players and doing a fish out of water thing would help it set the movie apart from your typical action-fantasy flick.

That’s pretty much all you could do though, the D&D setting itself is just as bland and generic as every other fantasy setting.

D&D's settings are about as interesting as you (or the DM) writes it. Even the 'default' Forgotten Realms has enough weird stuff like the interdimensional illithid-gith conflict and demon politics.

Still, I am disappointed WOTC doesn't do more with Eberron. A world undergoing magic-based industrial revolution with trains, aircrafts and sentient robots have so much potential.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

I don't think one single person actually watched the LOTR TV show

Of the top 15 most watched streaming service original shows of 2022, 13 are by Netflix and two are by Amazon. One of them was The Boys and the other was LOTR.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone gonna put that first chapter into ChatGPT and make a movie out of the result.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Even after Morgoth, there is still the Mostgoth...

He should be revealed at the end of a movie where Morgoth is defeated, with a Linkin Park song playing over the scene.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha back then the director can still be credited as just Paul Anderson.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Doesn't Australia have states?

They used the American method of dividing the continent using mostly straight line borders.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In one movie, he listed some companies in the credits. At the end of the credits, he revealed those companies as fake.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

davidspackage posted:

One of his other movies is called "I am here....now"

Four periods in an ellipse. Sick.

That movie is hilarious. There's a scene where gangsters beat up a guy for several minutes straight and it's just a static above-waist close up of two guys weakly miming punching a tied-up man while stock punching sound effects play. Occasionally they briefly cut to shots of other people there silently watching.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Famous wrestler Sheamus took all the Irish people's collective whiteness, sorry. Hencefort, all Irish are black.

The Irish are the only children of Yakub that have found a way back to the black nation without becoming gorillas.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Let's hand the live action threatment to Disney's most prolific animation: The Simpsons.

Hey, don't forget they own Family Guy too.

This movie should only be a series of unconnected 5 minute sketches, screened on half the screen with the live action adaptation of Subway Surfer on the other half.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I see they're going in on disguises in the next Hitman reboot

FYI "next Hitman" is pretty much James Bond. IOI is focusing totally on their Bond game. Hopefully the rights owners are more lenient with them than with past developers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

My old-rear end TV exploded while I watched Fury Road.

MEDIOCRE!

Actually that's just a sign of how awesome the movie is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

secretly best girl posted:

Nothing sums it up better than what a complete misfire the X-Files revival, in early 2016, was. The first of those two seasons had 3 good goofy episodes where everyone who wasn't the showrunner did a monster of the week funtime case, and then Chris Carter wrote a war on terror episode that was thinly veiled Charlie Hebdo poo poo and a two-parter about "what if Alex Jones was RIGHT?!" where it turned out vaccines were actually going to kill us all, literally called "My Struggle, part I & II".

I'm not making this up, he could not have created something to age worse if he tried.

If I remember right, Chris even retconned the original series' conspiracy. Originally it was about aliens who used to be Earth's original inhabitants coming back to reclaim the planet. Now that's apparently fake and the government is using it as misdirection. But aliens are still real because the government have been injecting people with their DNA for decades which funnily enough turns the X-Files into this quasi-X-men where every weird human that have appeared in the X-Files (fire assassin, lightning gamer, stretchy liver eater, plant witch school counselor, mind control ronin etc) got their powers from alien genes.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I bet someone could still do a pretty drat good X-files style series even in this day and age, just lean less on the conspiracy stuff and more on the supernatural or Fringe-style weird science elements. Something like a mash-up of SCP Foundation and X-Com, where you have some overworked government bureau full of operatives slowly going insane because they aren't getting funded enough to deal with all the alien invasions and eldritch horrors they're expected to deal with every week.

Fringe really was the best successor to X-Files. Covers all the same weird things with interesting characters but also being original with it's overarching story. Even the theme song and intro evokes the X-Files feel without being derivative. Plus they did the X-Files-style 'special intro' better.

The closest we got to an SCP show is Warehouse 13, a show about people collecting and securing strange artifacts. It's also in a shared universe with Eureka (the show about a town of geniuses) and Alphas (basically federal X-Men).

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 21, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Caught up with The Menu and did not like it. But I think it's less that it was a bad film and more that it wasn't the film I was expecting:

* Its not much of a satire of foodie culture. Instead it takes a massive poo poo over the entire idea, making it out to be totally preposterous and vacuous. The viewpoint character is immediately sceptical and dismissive of the whole thing, like it was blindingly obvious.

* Maybe I was expecting something like The Square or Force Majeure, but instead it feels like more of a horror film, with a lot of the associated tropes.

* I didn't quite buy the resolution, a cheeseburger, which felt like it was trying to make some big point, but the film had to end some how.

Having said that, it was still better than most other things I've seen recently (Crazy Rich Asians, and dear god, WW84) so there's that to its credit.

The chef didn't even want to kill Anya Taylor-Joy because she wasn't part of his murder-suicide plan. The cheeseburger was just to help him make up his mind because it reminded him of a time when he was still optimistic and happy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

If there’s no dialogue, how is he going to say “Garbage day!”?

Dialogue card.

No. Instead, he will shoot someone and then we cut and zoom to a calendar with the day's date circled and GARBAGE DAY written on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Like most alien stuff, it mostly boils down to "What if aliens treated us the way we treated minorities?"

More like what if aliens do stuff to me that I don't want to admit I want done to me?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cat in The Hat is a movie about internet shitposting culture.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So what is Dave Bautista, a real actor, doing after the final Guardians film?

The next Army of The Dead? I think I remember him doing something else as well though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He even put a Black Adam teaser in The League of Super Pets movie, where he voiced both Krypto and Black Adam.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1643789897826697219?s=20

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

duz posted:

Supposedly all those rip off movies were rejected scripts they filed the names off of.

This is allegedly the same thing that happened with the Fables comic. Rejected adaptation scripts became Once Upon A Time and Grimm.

Speaking of Grimm, the most fairy tale part of that series might be the fact that the main character, a cop, arrests the monsters more than he kills them. At least in the first season.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The villain is gonna be another person disguised as another gender, just like in JK's non-HP book.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's still lol they didn't do a Harry Potter animated series, which woulda fit perfectly, but you know how people are like about cartoons.

Meanwhile Nintendo and Illumination swimming in money.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently Beau is Afraid has Joaquin Phoenix lighten up a bit, at the behest of Nathan Lane.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Money Salvia taught me that naked old men is praxis.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1649445130812661761?t=YTpGYSupbZjGC11PqosfIQ&s=19

The game is about a guy in a windowless submarine exploring an extraterrestrial ocean, and the only methods he knows what is going on outside are a display showing environmental measurements, sonar, and a camera that takes way too long to process its images.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/worldofreel/status/1649545474343354369?t=-bXCKKizgyX4ZH6a6QJCwQ&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love that the hashtag is legally required.

Meanwhile, extremely on-point casting:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1650680845756235776?t=q3jizq-zDKq3rQ1dXkuQlg&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Did they fix Flounder to look less terrible? https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1650887635949199366?t=9twvNRUmAO5giN9hEqrTYg&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Lol that Cocaine Bear spent money on this

You would imagine most of the VFX budget went to the titular bear.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe don't cast actors with huge bulges if you only have to edit them out later.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1651642811416977426?t=nXgYdK1NCMTEdH3kfNVofA&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope we get Optimus as a cop who was brutalized by government goons and then got dragged out while quoting Megatron.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One thing I'll say is the people who wants this prequel movie to have "G1 cartoon designs" are crazy because in G1 the Cybertronian people have the same designs they have on Earth 4 million years later with only their vehicle modes being different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ujpoDlgRU

This a chance to make up new designs for the characters like the High Moon games and Transformers Animated did, which recalls their Earth forms without looking too similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You can say live-action Flounder looks like a real fish but there's a reason HP Lovecraft used a race of fish-face people as scary inhuman monsters, and it's not racism this time.