Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Excited to discover from the OP that there will be exactly one movie coming out this year which isn't about an existing franchise or big name (Cocaine Bear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I get why he did it, but the story in Copenhagen (Michael Frayn) seems like it would have been right up Nolan's alley and has more interesting characters than Los Alamos. Still really looking forward to seeing Oppenheimer

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

While I enjoy The Hobbit and to a slightly lesser degree The Lord of the Rings, I overall am not a fan of Tolkien's kind of melancholy view of the march of history. The entire idea of magic disappearing from the lands, all the "great" races and people leaving the world, and the world falling into mundane dreariness is kind of off-putting to me once you think about it too hard. It really feels like something that's attractive if you are a well-read, educated white dude who feels like some vague concept of "the past" was better and that everything new is worse, but it kind of falls apart if you consider that, no, a lot of stuff is better than it was before. A lot of the big Tolkien fans I know are nice dudes, but they are the kind of guys that just cannot stop reminiscing about some non-existent better time when being able speak in middle-English and wearing a nice hat was signs of great intelligence instead of indications of them just being incels.

Tolkien was attempting to build a sort of English myth, and integrating both his experiences of being at war and scholarship on early mediaeval history - all of these contain elements of outsized heroic characters which contrast with the drabber present. It definitely creates tension with some more modern ideals but still makes for great art (see also Parade's End for a more explicit treatment of this)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's being reported that Tarantino is going to be announcing his last movie soon and start filming in the fall. Working title is The Film Critic.

The singular seems weird, Tarantino films normally feature more than one revenge killing

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are there any French movies were the leading man isn't old enough to be the leading lady's dad?

That's just a normal relationship for french actors

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

clearly not a flounder

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Something looks kinda weird about his face

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1653150714745741312

Here's hoping that it's like the rest of his billion projects in the pipeline, in that it never gets made. I don't outright hate Waititi but I cannot imagine his style working for an Ishiguro book.

I love this book and I agree it seems like an extremely weird choice

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's mainly that the biggest costs for anything are always labor, and their profits can go up astronomically if they are just using AI to write scripts and then another AI and CGI to just recreate older actors instead of shooting real ones. So that is their preferred future even if it's not going to go as well for them as they think.

I think you have to look at story heavy video games for the sort of things they'll try out. character creators, fake interactivity etc. cheaping out on script writers for movies seems like a bad bet given how high all the other costs are. recreating that one star that have you a good rate on their likeness seems like much better value for money

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that's the thing, who looks at this bleak nihilistic portrait of the arms trade and says "I see a franchise here"?

Must be the same people who did the Sicario sequel

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken is a real movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4uyD8FFUIw

going from paras 2 to 3 in that blurb is quite a mode shift

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

They also took Brolin's flip flops away.

Sicario 2 fuckin' sucked. It was the movie the first one was making fun of, but completely earnest.

When I saw that a sequel existed and what it looked like I was blown away. It made no sense at all!!! I'm going to watch some of the press interviews around 2 might actually be quite interesting

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Taylor Swift is popular because a lot of her songs are bangers.

Some of them are also just high school level petty grudges or love fantasies but that's also her target audience.

there's one about the giant house she bought in long island lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The best new bit of lotr media imo is Andy Serkis' audiobooks. He does an incredible job voicing the huge cast and breaths a lot of life into it (he can't really sing though)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Simplex posted:

Yeah, I think my initial reaction to the trailer was that it shouldn't matter that Garland is English, but Alex Garland being English seems the most important aspect of the movie.

A foreigner making a big budget film set in a facially American conflict which just uses it as a vehicle for the story he wants to tell would actually be extremely funny and I hope he does it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

avengers was big at the time, grey tarmac fights were all the rage

What was the first film to do this in earnest, the phantom menace? (although it was green there)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

To this day I'm still not sure how the LotR movies got made. The studio back in the 90s cut a blank check to a director who never directed anything on that scale before and somehow completely nailed them.

the What Went Wrong? podcast has a very good mini series about the production of the LotR movies. apparently one of the orcs (you'll recognise it once you know) is modelled after Harvey Weinstein who was involved initially with the funding.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vegetable posted:

You guys are all really mad about a movie you haven’t seen

Turns out the cause of the civil war was people arguing about Civil War

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't have a problem with weird fake science stuff as long as the film doesn't get worked up about it and act as though it's real. You have to do stuff that's "wrong", otherwise you'd be publishing in Nature not making a film, and if it's about advanced aliens it is reasonable for it to seem completely bizarre. How would a Roman experience a mobile phone, an MRI scan or the ISS?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Remulak posted:

Due to the utter unintelligibility of Tenet, which I saw in a perfectly set up Dolby Atmos cinema and still could not understand, I honestly think Nolan is trying to do a silent film with sound effects, music, with the dialog being vibe-based and cross-cultural (basically the wah wah wah of parents in Peanuts). This could be cool. I’m not saying it is but as an idea for doing new ‘silent’ films it owns.

I think it's just mixed for his weirdo setup. I watched half with headphones, half without, and the half with headphones was easily intelligible.

I like it if only for some of the cool shots and that Nolan lets Debicki be tall and tower over the male actors.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been mostly avoiding spoilers but everything so far that I've seen indicates that the film isn't that interested in mapping onto current american political divides (or at least not the big red Vs blue ones), even purposefully avoiding it. Maybe it's like one of those films in a generic foreign conflict, but in the USA so that it can't be dismissed as something that happens elsewhere

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHBS615RKj8

Saw this trailer in the cinema, very hyped just on the vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Some of it has to be the directors getting one over on the streamers. Scorsese brought Silence in for $40 million. Yet the similarly modestly scaled Killers of the Flower Moon cost $200 million.

Woah, Silence looks incredibly good that's less than I'd have guessed. They did a lot with that money!