Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
One of the best "British guy understands American politics" bits is how in watchmen, Dr. Manhattan lets the US win so hard in Vietnam that Nixon decides to make Vietnam the 51st state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
What, tenet was awful

I've brought it up before but a particularly emblematic scene for me is how rpats and JDW have their big conversation at the end of the movie where rpats explains the entire convoluted time travel scheme and lays out the entire emotional basis of their relationship... except Nolan chooses to have them shout at each other while they're 100 feet apart and walking away from each other in a big field of rubble

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Even if this is just garland saying both-sidesism stuff to try to juice ticket sales, the whole point of releasing a movie like this during an election year is to profit off of anxious doomscrollers, so lol that their marketing strategy is "politics doesn't matter so much you should stop worrying about it"

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

BiggestBatman posted:

Haven't thought this through yet but a modern civil war film that more or less adapts the actual US civil war with modern-ish tech

*middle aged dad leaning over and whispering to his wife in the movie theater* that's Joshua Lawrence chamberlain's downhill bayonet charge on the second day of the battle of Gettysburg

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Andy Weir got his start writing GURPS supplements and writing a webcomic called Casey and Andy, which basically entirely revolved around that whole IFL Science routine:

It was a very different time in the mid-2000s, so I can't hold it against him too much, but all of that kind of writing in The Martian was no surprise

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Once upon a time in Hollywood was unfortunately pretty bad, imo, and the ending was, for me, one of the only times where Tarantino actually went too far and had a bunch of violence and gore that was just gratuitous without being enjoyable or engaging. The little mini thriller at the Manson ranch was well directed but I could really take or leave the rest of the movie

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Also I don't appreciate Bruce Lee haterade

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Nah, that was the scene I was complaining about too. Part of the problem is the sound design: one of the Manson women gets injured right at the beginning of the scene, and she spends the next five minutes shrieking her head off, which is just physically unpleasant to listen to. The Manson killers are also not very satisfying as victims of hyper violence; unlike nazis or southern slaveowners, it's a lot easier to see them as brainwashed cult members (and thus not really culpable). The nazis and slave owners in their respective movies were also legitimate, serious threats to their protagonists, and in both cases they had scenes where the protagonists were captured and helpless before the tables got turned. Brad Pitt, in contrast, doesn't know who the Manson family is and he just kind of demolishes them without a second thought

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

live with fruit posted:

He had a whole encounter with the Manson family and remembers Tex.

Sure but they're clearly no threat to him. Contrast with, like, Django, where Django has a strong motivation to hate the slaveowners, and there's a middle act where they almost capture and torture him before he escapes. An underdog story is a lot more engaging than "some psychos run into Godzilla and get instantly squished"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah idk I'm certainly not a Manson family expert or anything but my uninformed impression was that it was a Jonestown type situation where a lot of mentally vulnerable people got swept up into a bad situation. I guess there was that mindhunter season where Anna torv speculates that Tex was trying to usurp manson's authority within the cult by committing the murders? Not sure how true that is. I would say that nazis and slaveowners are on a different level but perhaps I'm splitting hairs here