Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Three Thousand Years of Longing - More like three thousand years of longing to go to the bathroom! Wait, this joke was supposed to be in the Avatar 2 section... This is what happens when you don't proof read! This film was about a djinn played by Irdis Elba who tells stories to Tilda Swinton and is directed by George Miller, except that it's just boring. It totally blew Miller's run of great films. Luckily we have a Mad Max spin off coming up, we should be back on track soon enough.

This could have worked had Miller allowed his actors to be as horny as his Witches of Eastwick leads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

So a modern day Guy Ritchie movie?

Honestly I'm just glad the guy seems to be using his paycheck from his live action Alladin movie for Disney (which somehow made a billion dollars) to make small caper-type movies he cares about even if the movies themselves are pretty average. More filmmakers should follow that example

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

So a modern day Guy Ritchie movie?

Honestly I'm just glad the guy seems to be using his paycheck from his live action Alladin movie for Disney (which somehow made a billion dollars) to make small caper-type movies he cares about even if the movies themselves are pretty average. More filmmakers should follow that example

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I am really not digging this phase of Nicolas Cage’s career where he embraces the memes about himself, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was execrable.

I'm fine as long as we get a Mandy or Pig every year.

I feel like Bringing Out the Dead is due for a rediscovery by the Cagesploitation crowd. It's all very high energy and lurid and Cage does heightened noir narration while getting hosed up on various substances and hallucinating corpses climbing up out of the street... but also it's a great, and sincerely and seriously mounted, movie aside from that.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

How so? Much like how DC already built the entire next phase around a movie heavily involving Ezra Miller they'll just keep on trucking.

DC may have gone ahead with their Miller movie and still plan to release it, but outside of that EM has nothing lined up. It's likely The Flash is the last time we'll ever see them in a major motion picture.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pain and Gain, but that was probably the last time he did it.

Talking of Bautista v The Rock, Dave would probably kill in a Bay movie

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

If napoleon isn't 5 hours long and requires 3 screens for the epic battle then it fails miserably

Speaking of Mosfilm has uploaded 4K versions of Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace quartet

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 7, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The lead actresses breasts seem to have been digitally banished to the same place as Namor's crotch.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm genuinely curious about who even watched the Lion King remake - was that domestic or worldwide gross?

Finding out that the Aladdin redo also crossed the billion dollar threshold was the one that suprised me.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The endgame villain has to be Kurt Russell's CIA guy who they've been retrieving increasingly overpowered surveillance/cyber warfare widgets for since film 6

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Ocassionally they do hire someone like Guy Ritchie or Sam Raimi but it's always far from their best work.

Say one thing for Ritchie he seems to have used the momentum from his Aladdin remake (which made a billion dollars) to put out a little 30 million dollar movie he actually cares about every year since.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Jon Hamm's villian turn in the third act makes the film

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

how do people feel about world's end

feel like that got memory holed

Brexit has coloured the ending in a really unfortunate way.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Barbie would be so much more interesting to me if it were just a straightforward rom-com with a strong aesthetic instead of this grand thesis statement about the brand itself.

The reference point should have been The Young Girls of Rochefort, not The Lego Movie.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Also, I'm half expecting Will Ferrell's corporate boss character to be a Ken who left Barbieworld

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Here's another entry in the "leads do not appear to have been on set at the same time" cannon.

Also, they made an Expendables 4?!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
This is surprising

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1668804793387847682

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
A lot of those proposed Mattel movies sound dire. Kaufman-esque Barney, gently caress off. On the other hand knocking out cheap PG-13 horror programmers based on gimmicky toys like the Magic Eight Ball seems likely to turn to a profit. I expect we'll see a bunch of those and the more expensive prospects like Hot Wheels go unmade.

They should really just start with The Magician's Nephew since it is a prequel about the origins of Narnia and would let them test the waters (and also keep them from doing ANOTHER adaptation of the first book.)

Only if they get Swinton back as Jadis/The White Witch.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 4, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

It's hard to get really mad about the slate they've proposed because a "Magic 8 Ball Horror Comedy" piques my interest so strongly.

Here's 15 million dollars and a toy, try to make the next M3GAN, is the kind of cynical branded content I can get behind to be honest

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I’m halfway convinced all the right wing “outrage” over Barbie is astroturfing by the studio simply bribing them to hype it as some grand political manifesto instead of the soulless corporate glop of “Lego Movie: Pink Edition” it so obviously is. Because I’m only seeing it from hoity toity YouTube ecelebs. Compare to the organic free range bigotry of say.. the black The Little Mermaid where you saw the hoi poloi of vileness on image boards and forums coming out of the woodwork.

The right wing stuff is genuine, but it's also a case of the influencers in that sphere churning out content that's very similar to stuff they've done before (and very recently) for sake of getting content out and they've reached the point where the performativeness of their outrage is beginning to show a bit more. And at the moment their audience seems more worked up about Jim Caviezel's Qanon-curious Taken-alike than Ben Shapiro burning dollies for children.

Also, Elon is loving over one of the Right's digital battlegrounds of choice.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 23, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You know I reckon Failed Screenwriter Ben Shapiro is secretly seething about The Sound of Freedom because it's making money and has a fanbase unlike all the movies he's tried to distribute

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 23, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Robert Zemeckis

I'd love to know what his career would have looked like had he not made Roger Rabbit. The drive to pull off a comparable cinematic magic trick again gives you his pretty solid 90s flicks but then rapidly eats away at whatever talent he had after that

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Infamously it came out a month after Star Wars.

Also the critics were down on it because it was a remake of a very highly regarded French thriller (or another adaptation of the source novel if you want to split hairs)(in addition to Sorceror also watch Wages of Fear which is equally great)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 8, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And there aren't any other big effects films for competition

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm putting my money on the Barbarian guy for the next buzzy genre director tapped to develop American Akira when Taika moves on from the project

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1712098023038201930

Jokes about Black Phillip: Origins and 2 Mid 2 Sommar aside, they should bring back the John Grisham movie. Sturdy mid-budget countroom dramas like the ones that used to print money back in the 90s, with 2-3 big names and fun character actors around the margins (remember when Tobin Bell played a mob goon called The Nordic Man in The Firm), a couple of murders and maybe a little chase scene or gunfight at the end.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You know, for all the outrage Ben Shapiro put out about Barbie, the movie he's probably most pissed at is Sound of Freedom and the conservatives who aren't on his payroll who worked out how to actually make money from moving pictures.

Carpet posted:

Bentkey, a name that screams "suitable YouTube channel for kids"

They have a Bluey knock off. Chinchillas are apparently the most conservative dog breed. Rob Schneider voices Not-Bandit.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 17, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Rebecca Ferguson's role in the recent Mission Impossibles is so weird. She has the love interest/will-they-won't-they/old flame part but she isn't written as a love interest, so you have all this flimsy plot business that hinges on her character and Ethan Hunt being in very deep professional respect with each other.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

Hunt is a lunatic for his friends, he lost 3 plutonium cores because he wouldn't let Luther die. They make it a theme but it's still nutty.

That angle feels like a byproduct of of the couch jump incident. Like at some point a focus group after that said we no longer want to see Cruise as a romantic hero and because of the one two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and MI4 were so well recieved we now have weirdly asexual Ethan Hunt from hereon out. The Craig James Bond movies wish they had the kind of chemistry Cruise and Fergurson have for Craig any of the post Eva Green love interests.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
They computer generated the Dwarves. Yikes.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1717973605253091469

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Good for Nia DaCosta going straight from her Marvel paycheck gig to a project she actually has real autonomy over.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1722717188493291944

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Hannibal was on free to air in the US? Hahah, gently caress. Like those gothic murder scenes. Like pretty sure that show was far gorier that hellriser.

Seeing the TV-14 watermark over the previously-on section where they'd show you all the most hosed up gore from the last few episodes never stopped being hilarious

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
They've recovered and restored the deleted footage that was hidden away in a Transylvanian salt mine?!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

There was some rumor about it being found years ago but nothing ever materialized

They literally hid the deleted footage away in a mine in Transylvania

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Legolas' 800 orc killstreak while hanging upside down from a giant bat is cool. It's the sort of insane, over the top poo poo that the films would have been better if they embraced.

No, that stuff is awful, especially in Battle of the Five Armies. Why am I watching a grey washed out soul-numbing hour and a half battle piece based on 3 pages of a book for young children that can't concieve an action beat that doesn't involve a dozen bodies hitting the floor?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Hunger Games prequel took in a pretty underwhelming $44 million at the box office this weekend domestically. That's less than half the opening weekend of the final film that game out in 2015.

It also only cost $100 million (how loving nuts is it that thats a nothing budget it the current blockbuster landscape) so when all is said and done it'll probably turn a profit.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Outside Deadpool he mostly does streaming things these days - 6 Underground, Red Notice, The Adam Project. Free Guy was theatrical though and I think that did OK.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 20, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Elvis as a cool motorcycle guy seems like a movie people would like to see and Disney can't even be arsed making it a Hulu exclusive

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1726782459662987474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Remember how much Passion of the Christ made. Same circuit.

Mel Gibson had a hand in the Australian distribution