Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Assuming his character is in John Wick 4 that's probably going to be a posthumous role then, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Every time I see patty Jenkins I think about how Wonder Woman 1984 might be the most hype deflating sequel to anything.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
For the curious Carol Baskin's husband was apparently alive and chilling in Costa Rica the entire time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rochallor posted:

All I've seen with Joel Kinnaman is For All Mankind, which started out with him playing a 30-something and, next season, probably a man pushing 70 despite not looking any different. And his character was born in the 30s, so we're not talking a modern-day 70, we're talking old-rear end 70.

Ah, just like the Yakuza video games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Modern Harry Potter fandom is 100% nostalgia wanking and the #1 rule to nostalgia is to never revisit your memories. The Fantastic Beasts movies are bad but they also show that people aren't going to accept new Harry Potter content for the sake of content. I can't really see a reboot turning out well other than the initial flash in the pan publicity.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Beachcomber posted:

Harry Potter needs to lie fallow until the Terf is plowed under.

It would probably be more moral but the HP turning into the Warner Brothers version of Disney Star Wars is kinda nightmarish too

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't WWDITS 2 just the TV series? Which is running simultaneously with another incredibly successful Taika series? Busy guy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The best thing about Godzilla vs King Kong was everyone getting surprisingly heated debating who would win.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

secretly best girl posted:

I'd put Men in Black 3 down as a good one, but none of the others worked for me past the first.

I liked Men In Black 2 as a kid because it's basically the jokes people liked in the first one but More So (the tiny gun! the talking dog!) but as an adult I realize those exact same things actually make it a terrible sequel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Simplex posted:

I'm hoping Gran Turismo is a one for the studio, one for me type deal for Neill Blomkamp, cause yeah, that looks like something.

With the success of the Mario movie get ready for Neill Blomkamp presents: Metroid

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the axe hasn't actually come down on that yet, everyone is just expecting it because it follows the pattern of "Disney impulsively hands out Star Wars movie deal to darling director, cancels it after they publicly disgrace themself" (Taika and Thor 4, Patty Jenkins and Wonder Women 2, Colin Trevorrow and Book of Henry, the game of thrones guys and, you know.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The Mulan movie systemically removed every bit of comedy and whimsy I guess because foreign movies don't have those, but looking at the numbers, it seems to have lost a lot of money. 200 million budget and 70 million box office seems...bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Failed Imagineer posted:

A female killer squad whose menstrual cycles all sync up kinda sounds like an idea Tarantino would find cool tho

This is like, a half step away from being a Metal Gear Solid mini boss team

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The automatic AI greenlighter not being able to tell the difference between ironic shitposting and genuine affection is going to produce some interesting results. Morbius was just the beginning.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't that kind of a recurring thing with Qanon, where the statistics are so ludicrously high (like 1 in 10 children getting kidnapped) that they should be immediately noticeable in everyday life

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

They are though. They are definitely overhyping it with their nonsense yelling about woke poo poo lol

They're really bad at making movies sound bad, "anti-man" and "full of rage against men" just make it sound cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
ngl I don't really get this threads extreme distaste for memes like the Gentleminions and wearing pink to Barbie. Sure it's a silly Brand movie and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but the movie is really just an excuse to do something fun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You can enjoy a little bit of consumerism, as a treat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yup, they talk about how the Mad Hatter hasn’t done “the fudderwhacken” for years, and when he’s finally happy enough to do it, it’s just a dance that, even by terrible dancing-as-a-punchline jokes/payoffs are, is loving awful to look at.

This can't be real

Oh my god

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it was either the first or the sequel that came out during the 3D movies fad and it's just full of scenes like a dragon flying through hoops towards the screen like it's Superman 64

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
21 Jump Street the movie is a parody of the original 21 Jump Street but that might be stretching the definition of sequel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle was actually a very popular character back in the day, but DC never did much with his popularity. I think the most he got for adaptations was a few episodes of the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
drat I didn't realize Sonic the Hedgehog is a scab.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Harambe was just a meme because that gorilla was on national news for like a week until the Pulse Nightclub Shooting happened and there was finally some real news.

I think you're reading too much into it; it would sort of be like saying Morbius memes represent nihilistic disillusionment.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Casimir Radon posted:

People buying and then wearing “Dicks out for Harambe” shirts in public isn’t an example of a dumb bandwagon?

It's a meme.

The joke is that showing your genitals in solidarity with a deceased gorilla would be absurd.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Never show this guy the hentai print jacket trend.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember rumors that the 6 million number was one of those Canon edicts from George Lucas, which is why it was so consistent despite the fact that you would think every EU author would be fighting it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Traviss has always been unbearable garbage, the fans who adored her back then are the same ones that complain about Jedi existing in anything Star Wars does.

Yeah it's the crowd that would unironically say that Batman is better than Superman because he doesn't have powers, but replace Batman with Mandalorians and Superman with Jedi.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There is so much insanity in the Hobbit movies that have been mindwiped. Remember when giant CGI worms showed up and then hosed off in the span of 30 seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW-IgJHM3cY&t=18s

I actually forgot about the Random Elf Name Generator elf until now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Everyone describes 90 Day Fiancé as "I can't look away" or "I wanna see what terrible people they are", no respectable thing can compete with such purestrain trash.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Feldegast42 posted:

I liked the part when they made a dwarf statue out of liquid gold and it covers smaug in liquid gold but then he just flies out of it and then the movie ends

Ah the Velveeta explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9nD5sBojhA&t=80s

I'll never understand why would you have your climax revolve around melted gold if it looks this bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean it's like Harry Potter, or even LOTR to tie this to the earlier Hobbit conversation. For the vast majority of people, the series ended so they dipped when it was over. They enjoyed it while it was going on, but they don't care to see the secret story of Dumbledore's long lost brother or the winner of the previous Hunger Games or whatever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FlamingLiberal posted:

The report is that this was decided some time ago but had not been public until today

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1711498942343504039
Peep the date. Unless there's insane drama with this actress behind the scenes, I really don't buy the "she was always getting dropped and they just jumped on an excuse" story

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Danny Trejo got into some major tax trouble and needs the money

Wait that's why he's in the latest Yakuza game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait we have day one DLC for movies now

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If Snyderheads already don't care about reviews and are willing to pay twice for the real version of the movie then they kinda deserve to get milked.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

I bet your friends love making plans with you.
Ouch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this scene. It's loving great.

The execution of it, from a technical point of view, is flawless. It should of been happening to a better developed villain, but who gives a poo poo if the logic of the ship exploding like that doesn't work?
It's also that character's death scene so it's a weird example to use of meaningless action scenes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Grendels Dad posted:

About half-way through, it'll turn into a horror movie wherein two kids try to escape Michael's cannibal mansion.

Five Nights at Michael's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Robot Style posted:

Basically, but Madam Web's lasting influence is largely with Spider-Verse stuff. She was in the 90's cartoon series (voiced by Stan Lee's wife) and plucked a bunch of Spider-Men from their home universes to help take down a version of Peter Parker that had bonded with the Carnage Symbiote. She has a similar role in the Shattered Dimensions video game (which was co-written by Dan Slott, who would later introduce the Spider-Verse fully into the comics).

But despite Spider-Verse crossovers being immensely popular in live action and animation, this version of the character doesn't seem to be having anything to do with it.

It...kinda has the same premise of multiple alternate universe Spider Persons? But not in a way that benefits from the Spiderverse associations at all.