Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

So is Adam Driver an alien in 65, or does it involve time travel?

Uh it takes place 65 million years ago, he plays a dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He married the robot??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Here are my issues with the D&D movie trailer:

1) The humor blows
2) World-ending stakes blow blow blow
3) A better D&D movie would lean into a retro 80s look and feel in its vibe and production design

The third one is my problem, the first two are the movie's problem.

For once I just want the stakes of one of these fantasy properties to be about stealing a treasure or killing a big skeleton guy in a dungeon. I guess that just doesn't feel "epic" enough to justify a movie in the eyes of some studio executive, but it's way closer to what an average D&D campaign's story and scope is.

First season of The Witcher kinda had that vibe, but jettisoned it for subsequent seasons.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 21, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This discussion is making me remember how much I enjoyed Zero Charisma. If they were ever to do a "players get sucked into the game" thing, basing it on that sort of group dynamic would be the only way I think I'd be able to enjoy it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's so lame

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really liked No Time To Die, apart from the length. It felt like all the grim self-serious stuff finally had some self-awareness behind it (but not ironic distance), especially when mushed together with the campy-turned-somber 70s Bond tropes like villain secret island lairs and such.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Quantum of Solace would have been improved with this superior choice for its theme https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho

I giggle hard at this every time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shuffle Chris Carter under the rug and just let Vince Gilligan reboot it with a new cast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Allen abduction was a lot of white guys being terrified of stuff being put in their butts

Like most alien stuff, it mostly boils down to "What if aliens treated us the way we treated minorities?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, as someone who has experienced panic attacks that are practically hallucinatory, it's very easy to understand how someone expeiencing that would justify it as supernatural.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Before the D&D movie they played one of those "Thanks for coming to the theater" videos with the cast and it was very funny how much Hugh Grant looked he didn't want to be there at all.

When that started playing, I also regretted being there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

This is like a 30 Rock bit. All it needs is someone realizing 2/3 of the way through production that they don't actually have the rights to Nike or Michael Jordan's likeness and have to quickly scramble to substitute in legally distinct stand-ins

I assume this is what happened to that Owen Wilson Bob Ross movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season 3 was a huge drop in quality and season 4 followed suit for as much of it as I could manage to watch. I'm definitely done with it unless I hear it completely reversed course. A shame, the first two seasons were the funniest thing I'd seen on TV in ages.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't even wrap my head around how insanely bad his Akira would have been, I am glad he walked away from that so that there's zero chance.

He's still attached.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mycot posted:

With the success of the Mario movie get ready for Neill Blomkamp presents: Metroid

It'll be the best ultra-safe four-quadrant meta-comedy released all fiscal quarter!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching that my brain has a very difficult time believing there was one speck of live-action footage in that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember people on this forum arguing that Peyton Reed was an improvement on Wright. That might have been the first time I truly realized how truly mind rotting brand worship is.

Keep in mind that Down with Love is fantastic and in like '05 he said he wanted to make a FF movie in that vein. So I think a lot of people had a very different idea of what an MCU Peyton Reed would look like.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My lizard brain was really expecting that spoiler text to be Jon Hamm's John Ham.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, Pilgrim reaches very high highs but bungled the ending. Hot Fuzz, however, is a perfect movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

how do people feel about world's end

feel like that got memory holed

I think it resonated so deeply with a certain subset of people that they overlooked that it wasn't a very good movie. Some folks praise it as Wright's best despite it being incredibly flawed and kind of a slog.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shaun is a very fun movie that's solid throughout, but rarely touches greatness. The folks I've talked to who really revere it seem to be people it hit hard for in high school and that elevates it for them. Folks who I've talked to who discovered it later don't seem to hold it in as high regard.

That being said, it's still top-tier compared with other comedies from the past few decades.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But what if consumers get confused between your product and a prior product? What about new consumers who never saw the origin story in the prior product?? If they're confused they won't purchase merchandise and memorabilia!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also I'm not sure Perlman is willing to go through one of those shoots again.

Just have him do mocap duh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress. Such a fun actor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

And then the FX people take the time to unionize in the meantime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Remake of Basket Case but it's The Thing in the basket.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shockingly also in Samurai Cop

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you can build a spaceship out of primitive ape whirlybird parts, you can probably get into a simple lock.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I love this and is also excited to see a Hollywood where most actors are not available for work. What would studios do? Hire all those weirdoes who became chuds? Hire no-name actors from all those Christian and direct-to-video movies? Social media stars? The return of shadow puppets?

They'll make a lot of reality TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The movie is absolutely not going to make its $300m budget back, and I'm not sure how Disney ever expected it would.

I would love to see more well-told stories with that character in that universe that I adore, but I would rather they just let the property die than get a bunch of terrible lowest-common-denominator Content slop until I die. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll stop being precious about the license and we can at least get some decent spinoff media created by people who are passionate about it every once in a while. Does that new video game we haven't heard anything about in like two years have any chance of being good, assuming it comes out?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

When Crystal Skull came out Dark Horse put out a really bad and heavily abridged adaptation, plus an original 1930s-set comic that no one read, and that was it.

True it's never been as popular, but I would think it's at least as popular as the Alien universe and that has constant spinoffs—and many of them apparently quite good, like the TTRPG supplements. Hell, even Blade Runner got a new TTRPG, 3 different comics, an anime, and is getting a live-action show all in the past few years. All after a box-office failure of a modern sequel.

As for those comics, Indiana Jones Adventures was really well done and a ton of fun—exactly what a good Indy spinoff should be in my mind, if a bit slight. Sure, the fact that it could only apparently support 2 volumes isn't a great sign, but I also think they were poorly marketed and came out at just the wrong time.

My dream would be to have something like The Batman Animated Series done for Indy, just episodic adventures that took inspiration from 30s adventure fiction and that Fleischer Brothers Superman and such, but I don't think the market would bear that sort of thing these days. Doing an animated series for Disney+ that goes for the same audience as, say, Duck Tales would seem like a better fit in my mind than comics or books or a more serious show or whatnot.

It is pretty perfect for video games. If this giant AAA game doesn't go over well, maybe they'll let someone make a retro point-and-click adventure with it or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's an adorable photo out there of Warwick in full makeup learning how to use a bong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Cormac McCarthy, passed away at 89.

Still iffy on Blood Meridian ever being adapted.

Dang. I think he was in the middle of writing the screenplay himself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kalel posted:

are there any white superheroes with "white" in the name? I can't think of any

White Dragon from Peacemaker obvs

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hollywood should probably start making good movies again if they want to make money

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would pay more to get ad-free Tubi than I pay for all my other streaming services combined.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish there was an 80s cyber-cop show with that vibe that I could just watch 40-some episodes of. RoboCop: The Series is fun, but it ain't Nemesis or Future Kick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh. Yeah, some day I'm going to have to give it another shot. But I'll probably just do what I did last time and swap back to the Max Headroom narrative series.

Which is pretty great, actually. If you're seeking out 90s cyberpunk schlock, at least. There's one episode that has a hint of a Nemesis feel, the one where they blow up a giant-rear end factory that was being demolished.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TR2070 is enjoyable but takes itself far too seriously to be counted amongst fun Pyun trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Brisco is fun, but it would be way better if they leaned into the sci-fi/steampunk stuff more. It's just a straight cowboy show most of the time, albeit a fun one.