Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
(Aside from that secret guest artist week he did on Pearls Before Swine.)

Anyway, there’s nothing like totally unanticipated news, right?

So! Take a guess what it is.

Go on.

Guess.

…OK, ready?

quote:

Calvin and Hobbes Creator Releasing a Dark and Adult Graphic Novel

It's described as "a fable for grown-ups."

Bill Watterson, the creator of the beloved comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, is releasing a dark and adult graphic novel later this year.

Published by Simon & Schuster, The Mysteries is a new 72-page book by Watterson and renowned caricaturist John Kascht. The two artists have been working in close collaboration on the project for several years, and it's now finally ready to hit shelves on October 10. You can preorder it on Amazon now.

The illustrated story is described as "a fable for grown-ups" that explores "what lies beyond human understanding." The mature and mysterious tale centers around a "long-ago kingdom" that is "afflicted with unexplainable calamities."

"Hoping to end the torment, the king dispatches his knights to discover the source of the mysterious events," reads the publisher's description of the book. "Years later, a single battered knight returns."

This will be Watterson's first major work since Calvin and Hobbes concluded in 1995, which is the same year that the cartoonist announced his retirement. In a statement at the time, Watterson said he felt he had achieved all he could in the medium.

Kascht is a famed caricaturist, whose satirical drawings have appeared on book covers, billboards, and in several major publications, including The New York Times and MAD Magazine. Some of his work is also featured in the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery.

…yeah. How’d you do with your guesses?

Another surprise is that this is from the man who wrote in the 10 Anniversary Book that “You can call it a “graphic novel” (…) but comic books are still incredibly stupid.” Nice that he had a change of heart, I suppose, but I guess he’s still too appreciative of the old-fashioned ways to embrace the creative potential of digital comics and the “metaverse.” But…Maybe just as well. The guy knows his talents. And understands visual mediums better than most in his field ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

woke calvin hobbes, a fox news story

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
hmm a little late for the edgy reboot train

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

People can like incredibly stupid things. Even when they know those things are incredibly stupid and won’t STFU about how incredibly stupid they are. This forum for example.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cyber dystopia Charlie Brown

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks for letting know, I will check it out.

naem
May 29, 2011

GRIMDARK

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Shinjobi posted:

Cyber dystopia Charlie Brown

https://www.whatisdeepfried.com/comic/weapon-brown/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I mean, I still love Calvin and Hobbes, but $20 for about 35 pages (I count one sheet of paper as one page, not two) is too steep, IMO...I mean most graphic novels I buy are about $15, and have a minimum of 60 (or 120) pages.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Bill Watterson did the poster for the 2015 Angouleme Comics Festival also

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

free hubcaps posted:

Bill Watterson did the poster for the 2015 Angouleme Comics Festival also

lol

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Bad Purchase posted:

(I count one sheet of paper as one page, not two)

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Calvin and hobbes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Here's my pitch: Hobbes rips Calvin's throat out and turns into a stuffed tiger.

That's it, three panels tops.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sounds boring, OP.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

calvin peeing on a chevy logo but he's 35 and you can see his penis

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Looks like poo poo. Should have stayed retired.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

super sweet best pal posted:

Sounds boring, OP.

You’ve made the most boring post in the thread so far, go you!

Post here long enough and someone will buy you an avatar/title combo. Sometimes when you least expect it!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:reject:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
There's almost no way this is gonna be good but if it is I'm here for it

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I remember back when I was like five the books where he would have authors comments under the strips made him seem like such a cool dude.

Of course I thought the same about Scott Adams at the time.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm fully expecting Billy Watterson to reveal himself as a turbochud boomer shortly.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

neato burrito posted:

I'm fully expecting Billy Watterson to reveal himself as a turbochud boomer shortly.

Calvin knocks up Suzi and forces Hobbes into the seedy world of underground stuffed animal fighting.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i'm here for this, calvin and hobbes is great, let's see what you got, Bill

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

Post here long enough and someone will buy you an avatar/title combo. Sometimes when you least expect it!

so they say

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It's the Dark Souls of Calvin & Hobbes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

neato burrito posted:

And lo, William the Brave slew the goblin lord Fauchilini and lifted the veils of ignorance which the people had foolishly wrapped around their faces, and there was much rejoicing, and William's kids admitted they were wrong to stop talking to him and not letting him see his grandkids

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

mods pls change his avatar to this

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I always thought it was insane to come out of retirement once you've cemented your legacy as one of the best to ever do the thing you do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Learning that Calvin's Dad was a self-insert of Watterson did a loving number on my brain. I really thought he was some Vonnegut-looking crotchety ancient motherfucker. Not some twee yuppie.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Buce posted:

so they say

...holy poo poo!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

...holy poo poo!

you motherfucker.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Buce posted:

you motherfucker.

It wasn't me, I swear!

(Admins and mods, feel free to check. I'll even take the Toxx Clause that I didn't buy Buce that.)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Given the theory that the book is an allegory for the inevitable response to Bill's return, I hereby propose that the sole returning knight be referred to as Thom Flindler, the Billstalker.

edit: jfc that article is fifteen years old next month

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jesus Christ is coming back after 2000 years with a new look

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this should be the report post button

Adbot