Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Put on a dumb Netflix show because I wanted something in the background while I worked. Turns out this show is actually good and cool and makes for compelling television even if you (like me) know nothing about Korean MMA or weightlifting.

Here's the plot: 97 huge Koreans and a few weird Westerners are brought into a room, each having a cast of their physique on a pedestal. Some of these guys and ladies are famous, usually bodybuilders, MMA fighters, weightlifters, or youtube stars. Some know each other because they compete in the same circle as National Wrestlers, some are famous because they're super deadly assassin men, and some are just people who do things like work in mountain rescue outfits or sell cars for a living. They're all competing for 300 MILLION won (which is about 250k), claimed by destroying their enemies in trials of physical prowess.

The game functions much like Squidgame, where a certain number of contestants are eliminated in a series of tasks. However, not all tasks result in elimination. Each task is incredibly physically grueling, but raw strength is only part of the test. For example, if you have a huge beefcake hang off a steel girder, he's probably going to lose quickly to the 100 lb female professional dancer.

When they lose they have to smash their torso casts with a hammer, which may or may not cause them to have a brief introspection towards their own body dysmorphia.

MEET SOME CONTESTANTS

This is the protagonist. He's old and classy and embodies grandpa wholesomeness while still being able to gently caress up MMA fighters half his age.

This is Agent H. He's Korean special forces guy but also very nice.

Some of them are models.

Some of them are couples.

Some of them are professional boxers who have never lost a fight.

The funny thing about this show is that it still works as an unscripted reality television series, because there's a healthy mix of influencer arrogance, stoic Korean long-suffering, and weird people who think acting like a hybrid zombie-animal man is an effective tactic to wrestle someone twice your size. First season finale drops next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I thought I'd want to push the rock. I no longer want to push the rock.

I will volunteer to lose at flame grabbing.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

CeeJee posted:

I was not nearly a rooting for my country's team in the World Cup as I was for Jang Eun-Sil's team in the boat challenge.

God I loved that team. It was so heart breaking to see them get knocked out after that. The female bodybuilder on her team was awesome too, and seeing those two alone together when forming teams was T R U E F R I E N D S H I P. Beating their opponents in the sand carrying challenge made this show go from good to great.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
It shouldn't be as good as it is, but it do.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I'm at work tonight and am holding off watching the finals until tomorrow.

P H Y S I C A L 1 0 0

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Surprised who won. The rope pull looked hard af and was a great final task. The end as a whole though felt a little anticlimactic.

Should've been AND OH MY GOD IT'S SEXYSAMA FROM OUT OF NOWHERE WITH A STEEL CHAIR, but nothing's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Watched the first 1.25 episodes of season 2. The most annoying thing in this series is there's a cliffhanger at the end of every episode, so you have to watch an extra 15 minutes of the next one. So far it's been okay. Watching people run for 20 minutes on a treadmill wasn't as interesting as seeing them hang from the rafters for a first task, but there's a lot of Physical 100 left.