Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I was not nearly as rooting for my country's team in the World Cup as I was for Jang Eun-Sil's team in the boat challenge.

For a show about physical challenges it's good there is some room for mind games and smart plays. Looking like something is easy for you even though you might be dying inside regularly caused others to give up.

Finals prediction:

Yung Sun-Bin is not in the final five despite probably being the greatest athlete in the show. In every field there is someone better to beat him.
The strongman is bigger and will outlast him in the Atlas challenge
For the torch challenge he is not nimble enough to get over the fence quickest
Mountain Rescue guy's technique on the rope is too good to beat no matter how strong you are
Running challenge has others with more stamina
And the Sysiphus boulder trial is better suited to the cyclist with massive leg strength and endurance

If each contestant had to do each challenge and score points he would win by being pretty good at every one of them. But not the best in any.

Also everyone is so nice and respectful.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Finals are out!

In the end it was not the biggest, most famous or most shredded one to win but the snowboarder/crossfitter Woo Jin-Yong who did not feature prominently in the show so far.
With the format of the elimination rounds he was perfectly positioned as being not the worst in any category and ending up in a final match that favoured him slightly in upper body strength over the cyclist.

The order of the final matches was a huge influence, I would rather have seen more different formats (balance was mentioned but not really tested) and people eliminated after ending last in two rounds.
But no matter what, you could get unlucky to have the round you would be best in not come up until you're eliminated.

In general, it was hugely entertaining and compelling due to the lack of distractions from the contestants and how great they all were. No annoncers beyond The Voice and apart from one or two people in the hanging and ball chases you don't see anyone but them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Season 2 dropped the first 4 episodes today.

No real stand outs from episode 1 for me yet although I am rooting for the arborist as it's such an unexpected job to come from but you have to be pretty fit to climb trees all day.

The one returning season 1 contestant, the firefighter, is interesting. He'd have gone really far if he had not been so dumb to choose to grapple for the ball against a giant in round 1

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This season feels like it's way more focused on strength over any other attribute compared to season 1 where agility and teamwork played more of a role.
Maybe there was a big team strategy part in the maze but it was very hard to see what was going on compared to the clean visuals of S1's two teams crossing a bridge.

I did like the twist of having the winner out of all the eliminated players choose a team which would instantly be a threat to the rest