Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Interesting gimmick for your new class, but the bonus doesn't seem worth it unless you get really lucky with your equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I love the gimmick of a guy that's literally to dumb to realize you're attacking him.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

berryjon posted:

Interesting gimmick for your new class, but the bonus doesn't seem worth it unless you get really lucky with your equipment.

Well, by traits he gets +2 physical damage and +1 block all on all stupidity cards, and has stupidity 1 by default (so I have 1 guaranteed card with those stats). While there's not a TON of cards that grant stupidity in Tier 1 equipment, I seem to come across draws where at least 1 grants it. While it will no doubt wane in usefulness later, I definitely am going to ride that as far as it goes!

Gnoman posted:

I love the gimmick of a guy that's literally to dumb to realize you're attacking him.

Coincidental Dodges. Like, he bends down to tie his shoe when something swings at his head.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

Well, by traits he gets +2 physical damage and +1 block all on all stupidity cards, and has stupidity 1 by default (
No, the DLC Job you unlocked in this most recent episode, name withheld for those who haven't watched it yet.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

berryjon posted:

No, the DLC Job you unlocked in this most recent episode, name withheld for those who haven't watched it yet.

Ah, I see. Yeah...the gimmick there probably has some use, but I can't think of a good one off-hand

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Next episode! I leaned HARD into the Stupidity build here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOtf62w2_g

berryjon
May 30, 2011

drat, that Stupidity build is powerful!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

berryjon posted:

drat, that Stupidity build is powerful!

The "oblivious" trait makes it very useful here. I'm sure it'll be outclassed in the not-too-distant future, but for now it is doubly beneficial, for having both attack and defense on the same card, but also for negating drawbacks on otherwise useful gear (like the metal coif)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Honestly, I'm interested in the ice cream monk. I can see how the trait helps early in a run then falls off as the better hand items get looted

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Slaan posted:

Honestly, I'm interested in the ice cream monk. I can see how the trait helps early in a run then falls off as the better hand items get looted

I can see how it could work well, though. Depends on what you find, and keeping a small, powerful deck to flip through quickly. The "there is no spoon" card is more of a mystery to me, since it forces you to discard on using it. Unless something else is affected by SMALL hand size, I don't see it being useful.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There are two ways to play the ice cream monk. One is to keep your deck as small as possible and discard as often as possible, to get the bonus damage for empty hands. The more fun way is to keep your hand as large as possible, either with cards that let you draw more cards or by spending favour, so you basically have your entire deck on hand every turn, at which point discarding doesn't matter because you'll redraw whatever you threw away next round.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Black Robe posted:

There are two ways to play the ice cream monk. One is to keep your deck as small as possible and discard as often as possible, to get the bonus damage for empty hands. The more fun way is to keep your hand as large as possible, either with cards that let you draw more cards or by spending favour, so you basically have your entire deck on hand every turn, at which point discarding doesn't matter because you'll redraw whatever you threw away next round.

I had somewhat suspected both of those scenarios. The "no hand equipment" is tough, though.

Onto the next quest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLsW6XnSvw

...things didn't necessarily get tougher. They're about the same--I'm just stupid and unobservant. You'll see what happens with that here!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Yo VIP--Let's kick it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4T1lYUH_s

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Looks like I'm just talking to myself now. I'll at least keep trying!

This was a 2-parter. I explain why later in the video (hint: It's because I'm an idiot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCHnNl1lhk

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You're not talking to yourself! There was just nothing in your video before today that I felt necessary to comment on. The theme of the DLC you're still in seemed to be running long and overstaying its welcome, so I set it to the background as I did other things.

Now to watch this newest video!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm also here enjoying your LP with nothing too big to add.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm also here enjoying your LP with nothing too big to add.

Same, I really like this game but you're showing all the important stuff and aren't leaving gaps for the thread to pick up, or making mistakes for the thread to yell at you over :v: so there's not much for us to add. LP good, keep going.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Black Robe posted:

or making mistakes for the thread to yell at you over :v:

I dunno, on occasion I'm yelling at the screen saying "You have a path! It's RIGHT THERE! That tile!". ;)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Or a couple times this video where I was thinking, just end the fight with that card there, THAT CARD NOT THE ONE YOU PICKED

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

All I could think of during this video, especially during the intermission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe8jOp349P8

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Thanks, everyone! Nice to hear that I'm not cocking this up too badly...

Slaan posted:

Or a couple times this video where I was thinking, just end the fight with that card there, THAT CARD NOT THE ONE YOU PICKED

...oh, yeah. Then there are things like that. :shittydog:

Gnoman posted:

All I could think of during this video, especially during the intermission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe8jOp349P8

Quite appropriate for this particular run, yes, and this whole section of DLC in general.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Slaan posted:

That has become a running theme. I think this is secretly a plot to convince people to buy the game in order to play it right rather than fume at watching someone repeatedly have an unblocked damage card with a speed modifier, but have them pass over it for a draw card or a shield card even if it would have ended the battle.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

EricFate posted:

That has become a running theme. I think this is secretly a plot to convince people to buy the game in order to play it right rather than fume at watching someone repeatedly have an unblocked damage card with a speed modifier, but have them pass over it for a draw card or a shield card even if it would have ended the battle.

.....is.....is it working?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The generic non-infringing cartoon ice princess feels like a major difficulty spike. When you consider the way the game basically hard locks better gear and classes behind getting to chapter 2 with it's gold limits, forcing the player to complete the DLC in chapter 1 is a slap in the face.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

The generic non-infringing cartoon ice princess feels like a major difficulty spike. When you consider the way the game basically hard locks better gear and classes behind getting to chapter 2 with it's gold limits, forcing the player to complete the DLC in chapter 1 is a slap in the face.

It was a rise in difficulty to be sure, but I think part of that was my own doing. In the failures that I omitted, I used the Super Chump and the Shapeshifter. Both of those have more physical capabilities than the Apprentice, which was the successful run. Granted, the 3rd stage's design was a BIG pain in the rear end, but I don't know for certain if I'd be as critical, especially since there is a setting to raise the gold cap by 5x. I've been playing without that enabled.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

That option was a concession to a pissed off player base after they removed the option to replay levels to earn gold.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Deathwind posted:

That option was a concession to a pissed off player base after they removed the option to replay levels to earn gold.

Well, if you wanted to replay a dungeon, you could always get killed! :honked:

Anyway, next episode is up! A familiar foe, and we're STILL not done with this segment!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0fvVnqEmio

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Near-infinite Favor seems extremely broken.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Gnoman posted:

Near-infinite Favor seems extremely broken.

It certainly is a BIG help in given situations! I have a feeling I'm going to be riding that for the next few runs, especially with the ridiculous health pool will be starting with. That said, the Yodeller looks interesting to use, too.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

It's the thrilling conclusion of the Ice Cream Monk saga (finally)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhuzmcq2NhI

I have to say that this theming definitely felt like it overstayed is welcome. It was interesting, though, and it looks like there's a definitive difficulty bump coming. We'll see what happens from here!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, the theme could have been half as long, and been good. This much was too much.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The classes were pretty fun, at least

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

berryjon posted:

Yeah, the theme could have been half as long, and been good. This much was too much.

I imagine that, since it was originally DLC, that they wanted to make sure it was worth people's money. Still, it WAS too long.

Slaan posted:

The classes were pretty fun, at least

Yep. The Yodeller is an interesting build, the Snow Witch (especially with the traits I got to buff HP) can be a solid magic user for a while, and the Ice Cream Monk....well, the less said about him the better!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You figured out the Hee Hoo (power up Yodel cards when taking 3+ damage) trait late in the video, but I don't think you connected the dots and figured out what the "Das Big Roar" (self-damage 1, heal 3) card was supposed to do. If you use it when you're going to be hit for 2, it turns that 2 damage into 3 (triggering Hee Hoo), then negates the damage.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Gnoman posted:

You figured out the Hee Hoo (power up Yodel cards when taking 3+ damage) trait late in the video, but I don't think you connected the dots and figured out what the "Das Big Roar" (self-damage 1, heal 3) card was supposed to do. If you use it when you're going to be hit for 2, it turns that 2 damage into 3 (triggering Hee Hoo), then negates the damage.

Yep! Definitely didn't put that part together, but that's a good thing to keep in mind going forward!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Starting into a new section, and I have no idea what to expect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgdsForWcro

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Continuing into the jungle area, we're confronted with snakes...on a plain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSj_93s2LLY

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Kind of disappointing that Firestorm seems to be the cap for the Fire trait, unless I completely lost track of what you had in the first exploration.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Each trait caps at 4 and every card lists its requirements on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That medusa fight was definitely anticlimactic. I wonder if doing the ice DLC first made you a little overpowered for the current dungeon set. The yodeler is DLC, right?