Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

retty hosed up. I sit around, try to make my brain empty, but my heart is like pounding in my throat. Do you guys have any tips for chilling out that don't involve benzos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I like to imagine resting by the ocean, cool breeze going through my hair and in perfect contentment.
Try that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just remind yourself that if your heart stops you die

also focus on your breath instead

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I do but it's kinda long. I'll get back to you when I have a few minutes to type it up. I learned it from a library book decades ago and weirdly enough I was just talking to my sister about it last week she has been having trouble sleeping recently

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Wendigee posted:

I do but it's kinda long. I'll get back to you when I have a few minutes to type it up. I learned it from a library book decades ago and weirdly enough I was just talking to my sister about it last week she has been having trouble sleeping recently

:<

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's like a practice though not a cure.. you have to spend time breathing in and out fairly deep breaths and stay on a rythm.

Your going to have to calm yourself with deep breathing... Work up to 8-10 seconds on each in breath and each out breath. This relaxes you.

Now continue the breathe pattern.

Focus on your toes. Focus on your toes relaxing and release the tension in your toes... Continue up the body and relax each muscle as you go.

If you spend time trying it, it might work for you like it does for me. I can usually fall asleep just with the breathing... It gives your brain something to focus on other than my worries. But the muscle relaxing thing helps a ton too if you're really revved up.

It does take practice.

I dunno what else I can suggest. poo poo just focus on breathing and realize how much tension you have in your neck and just actively relax the muscles there.

I also like a sound in the background. My favorite is rain on a window from some sound generator but you can use whatever you like.. waves.. bubbling brook, etc

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 16, 2023

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i imagine i'm sitting on a big ball of light and every breath I take in a little of the light goes in me, and when I breath out a little less than that goes out. Then I keep doing that til I'm full of the light, which takes about 10 minutes or so. If I wanna keep going then I'll make myself empty and then full again. But I never end empty. It is the only meditation technique I know but I have been doing it for a long time.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I typed it up.. if it don't help sorry but it helps me. I don't think about my heart racing though so if it really is racing you should probably see a doctor.

If your just imagining then maybe consciously focusing on your body relaxing can help drown it out.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Buce posted:

retty hosed up. I sit around, try to make my brain empty, but my heart is like pounding in my throat. Do you guys have any tips for chilling out that don't involve benzos?

I've got a neurological disorder and learning to focus on long, deep breathing helped me a lot in managing my hand tremors which aren't too awful but whenever my heart rate goes up too fast they can get noticeable to really bad. It's embarrassing to be cool and collected enough to get a hot girl to show you her boobs only to look like you're a virgin having a meltdown lol so it's a skill I had to learn if I was ever going to get laid. I've found that trying to "empty my head" doesn't work and I have to hyperfocus on something that isn't whatever is causing me to spiral out and breathing seems to be the one I've had the most success with.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i imagine i'm sitting on a big ball of light and every breath I take in a little of the light goes in me, and when I breath out a little less than that goes out. Then I keep doing that til I'm full of the light, which takes about 10 minutes or so. If I wanna keep going then I'll make myself empty and then full again. But I never end empty. It is the only meditation technique I know but I have been doing it for a long time.

Oh this is good...I like that technique and I kind of mimick it in some ways.

I frequently breathe in then imagine a hole on my skin where I'm feeling tension, and as I exhale, think of the breath going out that hole where I'm tense and it takes the extra tension with it. That does sound insane I realize.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Joose

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

someone hosed my avatar. someone hosed me.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Wendigee posted:

Oh this is good...I like that technique and I kind of mimick it in some ways.

I frequently breathe in then imagine a hole on my skin where I'm feeling tension, and as I exhale, think of the breath going out that hole where I'm tense and it takes the extra tension with it. That does sound insane I realize.

i am plagued by hypnic jerks so that sucks

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
actually other things I like that chill me out and are kind of meditation

imagining a single piece of fence, like 6 feet wide, in a grassy field as a still frame. a sheep runs into frame and jumps over the fence then out of the frame. I count the sheep. I've been doing this since I was a little kid and heard of "counting sheep" and if I make it to 100 that means that I am stressed the gently caress out about something.

I am also not really religious anymore but I will recite the rosary if I am dealing with something bad or grieving. It takes about 20 minutes but I'll do multiple passes if things are super hosed and I need to check out but can't sleep.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What's a hypnic jerk? Like knowing off and then you feel like your falling then jerking awake? It happens sometimes just try again and try not to let it pull you out of your relaxed coma

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

sometimes i make up dialogue for a novel i'll never write to lull myself to the good stuff

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Wendigee posted:

What's a hypnic jerk? Like falling asleep and getting like your falling then jerking awake? It happens sometimes just try again and try not to let it pull you out of your relaxed coma

your muscles tense up like a seizure. some people scratch themselves real bad. also good luck sleeping next to your significant other.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

yeah i dunno if meditation can help with that.. worth a try though

not sure how anyone could give you advice if you have a muscle spasm all over your body whenever you start to fall asleep

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i just take potent medications. i made this thread to raise awareness and also to call out the fucker who ruined my avatar gently caress you i'll destroy you

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

bleh.

you deserve that lovely avatar

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 16, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Wendigee posted:

bleh.

you deserve that lovely avatar

no, wtf

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
don't worry about clearing your mind, just let the thoughts happen and then go away. or something.

I like this one and the ones from Goodful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phm_VPjijh8

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just focus on your breathing. In and out. If you have other thoughts (you will have other thoughts) just let them pass by you and return to your breathing.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

don't worry about clearing your mind, just let the thoughts happen and then go away. or something.

I like this one and the ones from Goodful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phm_VPjijh8

i often feel like guided meditations are judging or making fun of me. i know, it's a me problem. but thanks, friendo.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I find going back to the fundamentals when poo poo gets whacked helps. Just count your breathing in and out. Or imagine the ball expanding and shrinking if you are more visual. I used to date a nichiren dude and took some Buddhism (and a healthy meth habit) from the relationship so I'll sometimes use the namu even though lol nichiren.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Buce posted:

If your heart is slamming around like that when you're at rest then you might have an issue.

What's your diet like? I made an effort to reduce the (frankly insane) amounts of sodium and fat i was eating and improve my hydration and it felt good for my heart.

Of course it meant giving up my passion of molding lard and crushed up pink salt lamps into camping rations but a sacrifice had to be made.

Maybe get checked for pulmonary hypertension?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Best the poo poo out of your dick thrice daily op

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

titties posted:

If your heart is slamming around like that when you're at rest then you might have an issue.

What's your diet like? I made an effort to reduce the (frankly insane) amounts of sodium and fat i was eating and improve my hydration and it felt good for my heart.

Of course it meant giving up my passion of molding lard and crushed up pink salt lamps into camping rations but a sacrifice had to be made.

Maybe get checked for pulmonary hypertension?

i take blood pressure meds, but my diet is good. It's more of a panic attacks + anxiety type of deal

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Best the poo poo out of your dick thrice daily op

already do

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Wendigee posted:

It's like a practice though not a cure.. you have to spend time breathing in and out fairly deep breaths and stay on a rythm.

Your going to have to calm yourself with deep breathing... Work up to 8-10 seconds on each in breath and each out breath. This relaxes you.

Now continue the breathe pattern.

Focus on your toes. Focus on your toes relaxing and release the tension in your toes... Continue up the body and relax each muscle as you go.

If you spend time trying it, it might work for you like it does for me. I can usually fall asleep just with the breathing... It gives your brain something to focus on other than my worries. But the muscle relaxing thing helps a ton too if you're really revved up.

It does take practice.

I dunno what else I can suggest. poo poo just focus on breathing and realize how much tension you have in your neck and just actively relax the muscles there.

I also like a sound in the background. My favorite is rain on a window from some sound generator but you can use whatever you like.. waves.. bubbling brook, etc

this is actually good advice, i didn't mean to be a dick to you
e: being sincere is hard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Buce posted:

i often feel like guided meditations are judging or making fun of me. i know, it's a me problem. but thanks, friendo.

Eh, I don't like them either. Not for that reason though, they just do nothing for me. I know people who love it though, they seem incapable of meditating at all without someone telling them what to think about during it.

I much prefer the mindfulness or zazen route.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
WELCOME TO MY GUIDED MEDITATION! BREATHE!

FOCUS! FOCUS ON YOUR BREATH!

NOW BREATHE OUT! SLOWER! SLOWER, YOU DIPSHIT!!!

NOW BE PRESENT! CALM! RIGHT WERE YOU ARE! ALL IS AT PEACE! BREATHE IN!!! BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
try doing some stretches or something right before you meditate. i find it helps ground me and makes it easier to focus on the not thoughts

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sounds dumb but the most helpful tool I've come across since I started meditating was getting a neti pot and using it frequently

I've had one side of my sinuses perpetually stopped up for pretty much my whole life, but after the first week of using the pot I could do all the breathing exercises properly, I stopped snoring, nose doesn't whistle, I sleep WAY better, can do cardio more easily. I just feel tremendously better.

A goddamn miracle, that lil' $10 pot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
you can also try alternately stopping one nostril and breathing through the other for a few repetitions, can help a little bit

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Obviously there are many different meditation techniques, and no "right" way to do it. You just find what works for you.

Something pretty universal though is not actively trying to clear your mind of thoughts. Cause then you are thinking about thinking.

You can focus on your heartbeat. Feel it and breathe. Feel your breath. Thoughts will come, don't be frustrated by this or try to force them away, just let them go and pass away, like clouds blowing off a mountain, and return to your focus.

Being able to feel your heartbeat can be useful for precision stuff like shooting guns or bows, to fire between beats. Some people can't really feel it.

If you feel it too much though, "pounding in your throat", your BP may be too high. Or if it's racing while doing that and you are tachy, both are things you should probably check out.

If you haven't already, check your HR at rest to figure out your BPM. Just count it for 60 seconds, google for a heart rate chart and see how you are for your age bracket. Doc can check your BP or you can use one of those free ones in pharmacies.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I imagine I'm an unexploded bomb buried deep beneath cool soil. I hear people walking over me. One day I'll surprise them but.. *yawn* .. not today

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You should try and practice Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction meditations by John Kabat Zin, I've been meditating for about 3 years and I've taken several courses in meditation. Its by far the best meditation technique that I've found. You can just google Mindfulness Based Stress reduction meditations on youtube by Kabat Zin and just do one of the shorter ones. I'd recommend just starting with the 5 to 7 minute meditations before meditating for longer.

Anyway meditation changed my life.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I breathe in through the nose and exhale through the mouth, imagining the air as a loop of ribbon that i don’t want to break. You have to be gentle so it doesn’t rip, or get caught and break.

Or if I’m outside I’ll try to imagine a first person view of what it feels like to be the wind; slipping over surfaces or weaving through the grass.

I’m absolutely terrified of deep water, but sometimes I’ll try to mentally put myself in a simple boat, way out on a calm lake where you can’t see the shore, while a ceiling of low-hanging grey clouds pour big fluffy snowflakes down, really trying to visualize all those snowflakes disappearing on the water’s surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the zen of farting