Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mobby_6kl posted:

"Occupation" sounds like something you "occupy" yourself with while waiting for death

Yes, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

credburn posted:

I'm in college so I can learn to be a data analyst but I'm finding college is a lot of work so... I just feel like I didn't think this through

You're doing college extremely wrong if you think it is a lot of work lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
College is mostly for drinking imo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Correct. Other acceptable answers include drugs and slaying mad pussy

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

I attached a foldable boat beer can holder to the milk crate on my bicycle so I could tool around and smoke weed and/or do LSD.

Got a mostly useless degree in philosophy, a wife, and a good chunk of debt.

Good time though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They should have 4 years of fuckin an suckin and shroomin and boozin without the pretense of "education." We're past that now.

naem
May 29, 2011

“occupation” was a term from the era when polite society meant pretending everyone was an independently wealthy gentleman landowner so you’d refer to a career as “with what do you occupy your time pray tell”

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Buce posted:

my uncle was a cpd homicide detective and even though he retired 20 years ago, he still does cold case research for the dept "for fun". but his brain got broken in vietnam so, i'm not sure that's a great example.

How I Learned to Stop Hating the Entire Concept of Work and Fun the Job

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yes OP, it is normal for our selves to revolt against this concept. This is because our self-concept, the legacy of understanding and meaning that we call civilization, and our entire sense that there is anything to wake up for tomorrow is derived ultimately from a culture composed primarily of millennia of responses to responses to responses to ancient artistic-mythic works about divine or semi-divine warlords whose only two ideas of “employment” were killing people because it looked cool, and doing whatever they pleased while having songs sung at them about how cool they looked killing people. For these trifling services the demigod was kept by a relatively large, but objectively pretty small, number of unseen people who worked every day because they were growing the food, and if they didn’t do that then soon they’d all be grubbing for bugs in the dirt and we wouldn’t have the demigod anymore. There were presumably also ancient mythic middle managers who pricked the farmers with sharp objects if they started complaining, but the myth-histories of elder days have preserved little information about them.

Thanks to our immense intelligence and wisdom humankind has subsequently figured out that this state of (fictive) affairs is “bad” and it would be much “better” if there were hundreds of millions of us who got up every morning and drank a nice hot cup of legacy of early modern colonial empire every morning to stimulate us through our hard work at the dicksucking factory. But if you were particularly hard working as a child, you may qualify for the dicksucking institute, and if you were particularly good at choosing your parents, you may even be eligible to join Diccsucc International. We are also now smart enough that we know demigods don’t exist, so instead of uncritically identifying the present social elite with superhuman powers and origin and actually worshiping them, we make up fake social elites we know don’t exist and tell each other fictional stories about them while devoting all our time to working for the material gains of the real, lovely ones. This is different.

Avenues of escape:
1) dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Accept what’s in front of you and destroy the mythic self image. Caution, may become bipedal livestock.
2) lose yourself in the hopeful delusion that if we can just do One Weird Trick it will all be saved. Please consult the authorities of your era to find the appropriate “radical” ideology that will never actually be put into practice but if it did, would clearly fix everything.
3) bludgeon yourself into chemical ekstasis with leisure activities such as ejaculating into people, or drugs. Gets expensive fast, but at least now you have a hobby to talk about
4) drift off into the intellectual/imaginative pleasures. Less effective than cum/drugs but also, less disappointing and claggy to think back on.
5) pray for further worldwide public health crises that will induce panicked governments to pay you to stay indoors where you can do what you want.
6) run amok and kill people. Traditionally controversial outside certain job roles, but becoming increasingly socially acceptable.
7) get a job with a lot of down time so you can post while you get paid

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tldr

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

naem
May 29, 2011

skasion posted:

Yes OP, it is normal for our selves to revolt against this concept. This is because our self-concept, the legacy of understanding and meaning that we call civilization, and our entire sense that there is anything to wake up for tomorrow is derived ultimately from a culture composed primarily of millennia of responses to responses to responses to ancient artistic-mythic works about divine or semi-divine warlords whose only two ideas of “employment” were killing people because it looked cool, and doing whatever they pleased while having songs sung at them about how cool they looked killing people. For these trifling services the demigod was kept by a relatively large, but objectively pretty small, number of unseen people who worked every day because they were growing the food, and if they didn’t do that then soon they’d all be grubbing for bugs in the dirt and we wouldn’t have the demigod anymore. There were presumably also ancient mythic middle managers who pricked the farmers with sharp objects if they started complaining, but the myth-histories of elder days have preserved little information about them.

Thanks to our immense intelligence and wisdom humankind has subsequently figured out that this state of (fictive) affairs is “bad” and it would be much “better” if there were hundreds of millions of us who got up every morning and drank a nice hot cup of legacy of early modern colonial empire every morning to stimulate us through our hard work at the dicksucking factory. But if you were particularly hard working as a child, you may qualify for the dicksucking institute, and if you were particularly good at choosing your parents, you may even be eligible to join Diccsucc International. We are also now smart enough that we know demigods don’t exist, so instead of uncritically identifying the present social elite with superhuman powers and origin and actually worshiping them, we make up fake social elites we know don’t exist and tell each other fictional stories about them while devoting all our time to working for the material gains of the real, lovely ones. This is different.

Avenues of escape:
1) dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Accept what’s in front of you and destroy the mythic self image. Caution, may become bipedal livestock.
2) lose yourself in the hopeful delusion that if we can just do One Weird Trick it will all be saved. Please consult the authorities of your era to find the appropriate “radical” ideology that will never actually be put into practice but if it did, would clearly fix everything.
3) bludgeon yourself into chemical ekstasis with leisure activities such as ejaculating into people, or drugs. Gets expensive fast, but at least now you have a hobby to talk about
4) drift off into the intellectual/imaginative pleasures. Less effective than cum/drugs but also, less disappointing and claggy to think back on.
5) pray for further worldwide public health crises that will induce panicked governments to pay you to stay indoors where you can do what you want.
6) run amok and kill people. Traditionally controversial outside certain job roles, but becoming increasingly socially acceptable.

as a middle manager I am getting really good at the pricking

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

what if i softly push this soldering iron through my skull what then

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'll let the demons out while also cauterising the wound!

Assuming the soldering iron is on.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Humanity spend 190,000 years working like 4 hours a day, doing the bare minimum to survive, and following their food around. Every time hunter gatherers and civilization interfaced, there's endless accounts of people saying "gently caress this noise" to working 12 hours day of sheer drudgery for no gain and running off to hang out with the hunter gatherers. Civilization loving sucks, OP. We spend our lives working at the baby smashing factory because 10k years ago, weirdos realized that violently mobilizing society to crush and dominate others was a hell of a lot more fun than wandering the earth enjoying ourselves in nature.

It's entirely normal to hate work, and you're not weird. It's all a game which we are playing, and you hate the game you're being forced to play.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

today i'm woking, like a dog

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The only thing separating you from a big dumb ape is a job. Forsake modernity, throw poop at people.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

boss makes a pound, i make ten pence
that's why i poo poo in a bag and throw it over his fence

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Bad Purchase posted:

today i'm woking, like a dog

you and me both pal

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Always work limp, never work hard

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Colonel Cancer posted:

Always work limp, never work hard

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
All these computer aren't gonna touch themselves

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nooner posted:

All these computer aren't gonna touch themselves

what about this computery guy?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I'm a computer. I'm a computery guy

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/G9FGgwCQ22w

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

don't touch him

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Humanity spend 190,000 years working like 4 hours a day, doing the bare minimum to survive, and following their food around. Every time hunter gatherers and civilization interfaced, there's endless accounts of people saying "gently caress this noise" to working 12 hours day of sheer drudgery for no gain and running off to hang out with the hunter gatherers. Civilization loving sucks, OP. We spend our lives working at the baby smashing factory because 10k years ago, weirdos realized that violently mobilizing society to crush and dominate others was a hell of a lot more fun than wandering the earth enjoying ourselves in nature.

It's entirely normal to hate work, and you're not weird. It's all a game which we are playing, and you hate the game you're being forced to play.

"Man has always assumed that he is more intelligent than dolphins because he has achieved so much--the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But, conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man -- for precisely the same reasons."

- Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Thank the good Lord for this fine job I'm at today. #bless

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Jobs are fake bullshit

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Often in the morning I feel like I don't want to go to job but in the afternoon I'm glad that the job is over. It's a real rollercoaster

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
I got assaulted at my first 'real job' I rather the bosses just come to me and I can judge them

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

that g ova there posted:

I got assaulted at my first 'real job' I rather the bosses just come to me and I can judge them

was it because of your OS?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I dislike working, but I do like getting paid.

It’s a conundrum I’ve yet to solve.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Tarquinn posted:

I dislike working, but I do like getting paid.

It’s a conundrum I’ve yet to solve.

have you tried hustling

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

pencilhands posted:

have you tried hustling

Well, that’s work too, innit?

I considered selling my organs, as somebody else would do all the cutting and sawing work, but I’m kinda attached to them.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

skasion posted:

Avenues of escape:

i knew i shouldve picked better parents