Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
it’s possible to not sell your labor, it’s just that doing that comes with its own headaches, namely massive insecurity. if I lived in a high trust, highly subsidized society like Norway, I’d probably give it a shot again but because cost of living is so high in the states, it’s pretty precarious to just rely on yourself

Especially if yourself is kind of a dumbass, which I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

italian quid posted:

I'm passionate about watching TV while "replying to emails" then clocking out at 3pm and taking home enough to live comfortably lmao.

italian quid posted:

Don't read some book about theorycrafting which jobs are good or bad lmfao
guys i found the admin/hr worker

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
is it normal to just love the entire concept of twerk?

dk2m
May 6, 2009

OMFG FURRY posted:

blowing up someone’s spot when they’re clearly phoning it in is the Corp equivalent of snitching on your fellow gang member

You didn’t see poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OMFG FURRY posted:

I'm actually in accounting but so what lmao

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hey boss I think I found a way automate this thi--

*gets shanked because it is justice*

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

cat botherer posted:

socially useful professions pay poo poo
I make food and get paid poo poo. Which is similar to the relationship my customers have with both of those things.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Farmers, one of the most useful professions in the world, in the US get paid to NOT work...

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Buschmaki posted:

Farmers, one of the most useful professions in the world, in the US get paid to NOT work...

farmers are in the landlord class in the US

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

What profession is it you all are idolizing? Not office work, not farming, not retail, not service work, not manufacturing for a corporation. I’m not sure that leaves that many jobs left, so what is it you want to do?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i like the days when i can just sit around and get paid to post. those are the good days.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Sophy Wackles posted:

What profession is it you all are idolizing? Not office work, not farming, not retail, not service work, not manufacturing for a corporation. I’m not sure that leaves that many jobs left, so what is it you want to do?

bazonga journalist

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sophy Wackles posted:

Something with cute furry animals (vertebrates and higher only), for 20h per week, for a median income, weekends off and smoking breaks whenever I want

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Part time at a slaughterhouse.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You'll want to wear a good mask because if you work with pigs there's aerolized pig brain particles everywhere

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Sophy Wackles posted:

…..not work?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like my job.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Beartaco posted:

I like my job.

:getout:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Your best bet is probably therapy OP.

Going and living out of your car is always a legitimate option but it kind of blows.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

work sucks and you should say it op

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Work is fine if they pay decently and give you a work/life balance.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Work-life balance is a lie. Do drugs and slowly poison your boss.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Work loving sucks, that's why they have to pay you to do it and then threaten to make your life miserable if you don't

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cosmik Slop posted:

Work loving sucks, that's why they have to pay you to do it and then threaten to make your life miserable if you don't

they're paying you to do it because you create or improve a good or service through your labour which produces value op

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Since David Graeber got brought up that gives me an excuse to post one of the most amazingly dystopian articles ever. I think we'll get a basic income in 10-15 years but I'm growing more and more pessimistic that it'll come with conditions and probably go as far as forcing you to do literal fake work like the article talks about.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rollos posted:

Since David Graeber got brought up that gives me an excuse to post one of the most amazingly dystopian articles ever. I think we'll get a basic income in 10-15 years but I'm growing more and more pessimistic that it'll come with conditions and probably go as far as forcing you to do literal fake work like the article talks about.

Thanks for sharing this, it was good and made me sad.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Leroy Dennui posted:

I used to go out of my way to design creative assignments that were effective at garnering student engagement. Now I'm in my third year of teaching and I'm already creatively bankrupt in the classroom.

Maybe the epic corporate speak like grabbing the nettle and driving engagement isn't the vibe?

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Rollos posted:

lol bro B won't even cancel student loans or honk a couple thou into our coffers. No basic income is coming just more prisons.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

nom epique posted:

lol bro B won't even cancel student loans or honk a couple thou into our coffers. No basic income is coming just more prisons.

:yeah:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

thinking about all thos prison jobs... :)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rollos posted:

I think basic income will only ever come if it demonstrates that people on it overwhelmingly continue to perform paid labor in some form. This problem goes even beyond keeping the economy/public sector going. It's also about some fundamental social contract that's as old as humanity itself, i.e. everyone in society who can needs to chip in somehow. People produce food for you, clean your sewers, make you clothes, fix your roads, collect your garbage, treat your medical conditions, etc. What are you going to do in return to make those people's lives better? Nobody cleans sewers as a favor or a hobby. You don't have to provide something of equal value, but you need to make a good effort to do at least something if you can.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks to work, I can afford 1(!) Playstation 3 gaming console

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

pencilhands posted:

I’m 35 years old, I’ve tried every different type of career and I can say without a doubt the happiest time of my life was in 2020 where I got paid to sit on my rear end and do nothing. I’m apparently only “passionate” about doing whatever I want, when I want. Am I mentally ill or something? Why are careers framed as “passions” when you’re literally just slaving away for some other rear end in a top hat? Is it so wrong to want to relax?
Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Honestly, you need to figure out if there's any job that you would honestly enjoy, and then, since that's probably a lower paying job, because they don't pay much for the enjoyable ones, you decide if you can accept that income.

I left a field where I would have eventually settled at around 80k a year for one that caps out at half of that, but which I legitimately would do for free. I adjusted my needs in life accordingly, and while having money would be pretty great, I'm happier than I've ever been. And not like, just on the inside. I used to be known as an angry person, now people find it delightfully out of character when I get angry.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i had a moment of clarity in my 20s when i realized that no one is talking about how terrible work is. i realized i hosed up and by not wanting to work, i ended up having to work hard jobs for nothing and feeling like poo poo everyday. boy, did i gently caress it up. i wish i could start over. but the ai will displace all you comfortable workers real soon, so try to remember through your despair, to think of me, dear richard.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol I pay my robots salary. I know they donate a huge chunk of it to food banks, and I’m not too prying about it but I know they like to buy a lot of art and movies and concert tickets.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The happiest I've ever been was at jobs with lots of downtime where I was basically paid to be alone with my thoughts while waiting for the next task to come in.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul posted:

I think basic income will only ever come if it demonstrates that people on it overwhelmingly continue to perform paid labor in some form. This problem goes even beyond keeping the economy/public sector going. It's also about some fundamental social contract that's as old as humanity itself, i.e. everyone in society who can needs to chip in somehow. People produce food for you, clean your sewers, make you clothes, fix your roads, collect your garbage, treat your medical conditions, etc. What are you going to do in return to make those people's lives better? Nobody cleans sewers as a favor or a hobby. You don't have to provide something of equal value, but you need to make a good effort to do at least something if you can.

This is a good post, I think.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

That's why I make spreadsheets and powerpoints

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Emphases added.

This pill would be easier to swallow if it people continuing to perform labour that is currently unpaid were sufficient. For instance, the vast majority of all care work that happens across the world. I would wager that a lot of — most? — unpaid labour has higher social value than paid labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Three Olives posted:

Have you considered being a welfare queen? I keep hearing about how great it is to just live off the government and not do anything all day.

And that it is super easy to qualify for any assistance even if you like working but are too sick to do so. Or too poor to do so.

Three Olives posted:

Medical claims at a health insurance company.

You just get to straight up tell some sobbing parent over the phone that their kid is going to die because the drug they need isn't on the formulary.

The way they get around feeling any kind of bad or attempting to find ways to get the drugs or treatment they kid deserves is by being completely incompetent. It is baffling and I’ve learned a lot about people that I did not want to know prior to being fired for being competent.

Holy poo poo! I’m replying to another 3 olives post. Weird.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 18, 2023